IGNORED

I give you two examples Huddersfield Town and Bristol Lansdown FC

southvillekiddy

2 minutes ago, southvillekiddy said:

Two years with Bielsa. Quite an apprenticeship.

Look. i'm as cursed til the day I die following City as anyone but you surely get the point?

Bristol City: "SLOW, SLOW, SLOW" no 'QUICK, QUICK"

Also in that 2 years he must of had a hand in them completely bottling the league last season then? 

I’m going to reserve judgement on the Hughton situation specifically because we simply don’t know yet how it will pan out.

But, as a more general point, why do we so often seem to get involved in these sagas that drag on in the press, with so much to-ing and fro-ing one way and then the other? And all too often end in a shambolic embarrassment.

Hughton/Gerrard is the latest - before that we had Nketiah, and previously the Gayle/Gray affair that seemed to drag on for weeks on end. No doubt there are others.

Why do we seem to get involved in such extended sagas playing out in public? Are we unique in this? Or are we just more acutely aware of it because it’s our club, and actually it happens to other clubs all the time too?

6 minutes ago, Mr Popodopolous said:

@billywedlock

New managers tend to have a lot in their in-tray, the new season starts in 7 weeks- it was unknown whether it'd be 5 or 7.

Time is of the essence a bit on this occasion. It's a balancing act though as a quick appointment could be the wrong one.

players do not come back to pre-season for another 3 weeks, the transfer window will also be extended and the season doesn't start until 12th September,

Even if we appoint a manager now, he won't be doing any training for another 3 weeks,

So there isnt a rush 

9 minutes ago, red panda said:

Surely it's common knowledge that neither Gregor or James actually exist.  The BP just has a bot that trawls OTIB and writes up the results

I do not find the thought of Gregors bot as being a pleasant one.

2 minutes ago, Monkeh said:

players do not come back to pre-season for another 3 weeks, the transfer window will also be extended and the season doesn't start until 12th September,

Even if we appoint a manager now, he won't be doing any training for another 3 weeks,

So there isnt a rush 

Well I'm glad that 29th August wasn't voted on or we'd have been in a bit of a fix.

3 weeks? May not be as long as that- would be interested to see the timeframes.

4 minutes ago, billywedlock said:

Well everyone knows we have little time, but equally I would prefer we tried to make the best choice. That we are taking time would also suggest there is no clear stand out candidate so they will be weighing up the pros and cons of each. Unless we are targeting non applicants of course. Biesla most certainly had no idea where Leeds was when someone called him. 

I agree, we have to try and make the right/best choice. It's a tough balancing act- Hughton feels an outstanding choice to me though.

37 minutes ago, Southport Red said:

It isn’t great though that LJ was fired and there was absolutely nothing in place to replace him. You would think that, given we were rocky before lockdown that someone might have scenariod a succession plan in the three months there was no football. 

“Taking your time and doing it right” is all very laudable, but this looks like the left hand fires LJ and the right hand is astounded to learn this. Would like to see SOME evidence if strategy from the Leadership, it really isn’t TOO much to ask. 

Looking from the outside for 40 odd years now, the dithering over sacking Johnson (he should have gone 2 years ago), the Nketiah saga, and now the farce developing over a replacement, sums the area up. 

Generally, people of Bristol don’t forward plan, aren’t decisive and have an ‘it’s ok’, relaxed attitude. It’s an approach to life that has been very much adopted as part of the Bristol City FC DNA. 

It’s all pretty hopeless tbh. 

I used to get well wound up over it ..... but now join in with the rest of the Country just laughing at our Club’s fumbling attempts to elevate itself from our traditional comfort zone of being very mediocre. 

Very odd, as I thought Steve once said he was getting involved because he was fed up with the City’s main Club being the laughing stock of the football world. 

1 minute ago, Mr Popodopolous said:

Well I'm glad that 29th August wasn't voted on or we'd have been in a bit of a fix.

3 weeks? May not be as long as that- would be interested to see the timeframes.

I agree, we have to try and make the right/best choice. It's a tough balancing act- Hughton feels an outstanding choice to me though.

its 3 weeks taylor said so at the last game of the season

1 minute ago, RedRock said:

Looking from the outside for 40 odd years now, the dithering over sacking Johnson (he should have gone 2 years ago), the Nketiah saga, and now the farce developing over a replacement, sums the area up. 

Generally, people of Bristol don’t forward plan, aren’t decisive and have an ‘it’s ok’, relaxed attitude. It’s an approach to life that has been very much adopted as part of the Bristol City FC DNA. 

It’s all pretty hopeless tbh. 

I used to get well wound up over it ..... but now join in with the rest of the Country just laughing at our Club’s fumbling attempts to elevate itself from our traditional comfort zone of being very mediocre. 

Very odd, as I thought Steve once said he was getting involved because he was fed up with the City’s main Club being the laughing stock of the football world. 

you are confusing city with rovers

4 hours ago, southvillekiddy said:

https://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/football/53520013

It takes Huddersfield Town 5 days to appoint a new manager who was part of Leeds' promotion to the Prem

We could have lined up Hughton months ago.

What's the difference between the two Clubs?

urggh urggh urggh.jpg

Very disrespectful. You actually spent a bit of time on this. Mind boggling. 

6 minutes ago, RedRock said:

He got over that idea pretty quickly.

I can see how he may have been ground down by the climate around City and especially felt humiliated by the Planning Dept. capitulation to the 23 Ashton Vale putrifying waste tip, sorry, village green dog shit and spilling chemical container avoiders BUT ...........................

4 minutes ago, RedRock said:

No. The Sags actually are ‘prowd’ of their ineptitude. 

We ain’t quite there yet. Most City supporters just tolerate being mediocre.

No city fan tolerate it, thats what sets us apart,

This is the first season since the season after we got relegated that we haven't improved

In that time we rebuilt the ground put on some world class concerts 

Started rebuilding the training ground

Broken our transfer record 3 times

Broken our transfer record for selling a player 5 times

Got to a major cup semi final only just losing to the best team in the world at the time

Improved the coaching set up

Yea sounds like we are settling mediocrity to me

20 minutes ago, southvillekiddy said:

Not bad. Bielsa's first season and look what he did as a result in the next? Obvious really?

Ok i give up should have listened to my old man when he told me don’t argue with an idiot because they will just dumb you down to their level. 

12 minutes ago, GTFABM said:

Ok i give up should have listened to my old man when he told me don’t argue with an idiot because they will just dumb you down to their level. 

Well thanks for that, which has been used extensively elsewhere and I can't say I'm that impressed by the quality of your prose either

3 hours ago, southvillekiddy said:

Yes I do. Looking back on his time with us since 1996 there have been 13 managers. I'd say the appointment of a manager is a crucial task of a football Club. He became Chairman in 2004 and since then we have had 8 managers. We are told that he is owner and no longer Chairman but the events surrounding the appointment of Derek McInnes especially have shown us that Steve gets what he wants in these situations. We don't truly have a Board. I'd say out of the 8, we have had 2 managers of note - Gary Johnson and Steve Cotterill. Plus we have had some spectacular failures "Judge me on Tinnion" and "'I don't know what I'm doing here" Coppell. So he may have outstanding judgement in making  business appointments but seems unable to admit that he is lacking in the football knowledge needed to appoint a top quality manager, being in mind that his avowed intention is to take BCFC to the Premiership. So we have had a succession of mediocre managers apart from Gary and Steve and to my eye it appears that Steve prefers to keep control and will not hand responsibility for football matters to someone who is radical enough to do with BCFC what they have done elsewhere. ie. achieve true top flight success either here or abroad. Because in effect it is his football club, with 97% ownership, and while it may appear that he has given us a great deal, in cold business terms he has also massively increased his investment. 

It appears that Steve Cotterill, having achieved substantial honours in the EFL with the double, was someone who had the vim to take us further but it appears that he was too challenging for Steve. He was sacked to make way for the safe nepotistic appointment of Lee Johnson, a young, inexperienced manager who had achieved nothing in comparison to Cotterill. 

So yes. I regard SL, unless he is going to have a substantial change of mindset and make sure we get someone of the calibre of Hughton, as our biggest obstacle. Steve may be your friend. I don't wish him ill will, however I do want him to change, surrender control in the right football areas and go for it. You may be content with the "inevitability of gradualness" as Jim Callaghan put it. You may think it's okay to wait a decades for another Alan Dicks to turn up by magic. Dicks is the only man in 100 years to take us to the top flight. In my view a city the size of Bristol, with it's enormous catchment area should be in the top ten teams in the country. Steve isn't getting any younger, neither am I or you. Are you content with uncertain Championship status? Best wishes. SK.

@southvillekiddy I can see you are getting dogs abuse for questioning the great man...but can I just say that I agree with almost every word of this. It's perfectly possible to be grateful for Steve Lansdown's largesse - I write as someone who has thanked him personally and even bought him a pint - and also to note that as billionaire football club owners go he's not been very successful in delivering success on the pitch. Which is a pity for him and for us!

50 minutes ago, GTFABM said:

Bielsa took Leeds with a lot of the same players who came 13th and finished appallingly in 2017/18, with a whole new style from 13th to 3rd. Tick. Think the squad had 14/15 of the same players in 2018/19 as had done so averagely, with a crap finish the year preceding it.

Still a reasonable number of the same players from 2017/18 in the squad- 9 at least- wins League, style improved Tick.

Yes he got a number of his own in- but he also sold a number of important players- Tick.

5 hours ago, southvillekiddy said:

Not whining about him. I'm angry at the way he runs our Club and let's not pretend we have a Board in the true sense of the word. I'm amazed that more do not see the price we pay in having him as an owner. He's our biggest obstacle as well as our despotic benefactor.

**** me matey.

Another voice of reason. I thought mine was the only one.....

Pleased to hear I’m not alone.

Perhaps our philanthropic benefactor wants to make sure he gets the right man this time.

And let’s face it. He’s made a few mistakes recently. Keeping Lee when all around could see it was time he went.

And that Woodford chap. Who appointed ‘ee? ?

1 hour ago, Monkeh said:

No city fan tolerate it, thats what sets us apart,

This is the first season since the season after we got relegated that we haven't improved

In that time we rebuilt the ground put on some world class concerts 

Started rebuilding the training ground

Broken our transfer record 3 times

Broken our transfer record for selling a player 5 times

Got to a major cup semi final only just losing to the best team in the world at the time

Improved the coaching set up

Yea sounds like we are settling mediocrity to me

I get all that. 

I’m very, very thankful to Steve for his investments in our Club. I love the ‘Bristol Sport’ concept.

However, are we the largest City never to have entered the Premier League, while relative minnows sprint past us? 

I rest my case. 

Archived