IGNORED

Young Guns - offered extensions

Davefevs

The following young players who are out of contract have been offered deals to stay.  No idea if any have accepted or not.

• Louis Britton - striker
  • Owura Edwards (Brother if Opi) - winger I think
  • Vincent Harper - left back
  • Tom Harrison - centre back
  • Lochlan Robertson - goalkeeper
  • Zach Smith - midfielder 
  • Bradley Webb - not sure

Anything to add @Lrrr?

As someone who doesn't really know much about the youth team players these days are any of the lads considered to be "special talents" or anyone else in the youth team?

It was always exciting when we had Tristan plummer or marvin brown coming through even though they didn't make it. Or even bobby reid and more recently Joe Morrell have always been names you heard a lot about 

3 minutes ago, Littlesh*t said:

As someone who doesn't really know much about the youth team players these days are any of the lads considered to be "special talents" or anyone else in the youth team?

It was always exciting when we had Tristan plummer or marvin brown coming through even though they didn't make it. Or even bobby reid and more recently Joe Morrell have always been names you heard a lot about 

Sam Pearson. 
Hopefully we’ll be brave and not loan him out this year and give him a shot. Why not. 

20 minutes ago, Davefevs said:

The following young players who are out of contract have been offered deals to stay.  No idea if any have accepted or not.

Anything to add @Lrrr?

The two that stand out for me from this group are Louis Britton & Vince Harper...

I think Vince could really have a great career,,,his style reminds me of a young left sided Ryan Nyambe...fingers crossed he keeps with the curve!

17 minutes ago, Davefevs said:

Anything to add @Lrrr?

Shouldn't any new manager have at least some input in that decision.

Thought they may wait till he was in and let him take a look before offering them deals.

Wonder who made that decision....the cleaner? 

1 minute ago, Top Robin said:

Thought they may wait till he was in and let him take a look before offering them deals.

Tinnion I reckon. 

2 minutes ago, Top Robin said:

You still need players for the u23's and we're hardly likely to go out recruiting players for them unless we sign players released from Cat 1 academies so current players would be retained.

No, it will be down to the youth team manager to make that decision 

My guess would be LJ wouldn't have made the decision either at that age. Surely it would be Mark Ashton and the Head of the Academy as the latter would be the best placed to make a decision. Can't see it being the manager/first team coach as they'd be dealing with the first team. 

Louis scored goals for fun at Mangotsfield (5 in one match) and bagged a few for the academy side as well, when he was on trial scored a hattrick against Watford. 

As said by @Robert the bruce him and Vince are the 2 standouts on that list for me.

Owura is an out and out winger not afraid to take on his man, right footed predominantly loan to a national league club would be good for him next season. 

7 minutes ago, Top Robin said:

Because without offering them a deal by 30.06, they can walk for free, and sign for whoever they want with no development compensation.

As above, most of these are a little way from first team action, so decision making by the first team manager not as imperative as for other players.  To be honest LJ was still in the job at this point anyway, so probably had some input.

5 minutes ago, BetterRedthenBlue said:

Louis scored goals for fun at Mangotsfield (5 in one match) and bagged a few for the academy side as well, when he was on trial scored a hattrick against Watford. 

As said by @Robert the bruce him and Vince are the 2 standouts on that list for me.

Owura is an out and out winger not afraid to take on his man, right footed predominantly loan to a national league club would be good for him next season. 

Have we ever produced a striker from the ranks since Kevin Mabbutt? Leroy Lita came from elsewhere initially, Bobby ReidI believe started his early career as a striker but was essentially a midfield player when he first stepped up.

Is Mickey Bells lad still considered a talent, is he in the next group from these lads?

33 minutes ago, Port Said Red said:

Have we ever produced a striker from the ranks since Kevin Mabbutt? Leroy Lita came from elsewhere initially, Bobby ReidI believe started his early career as a striker but was essentially a midfield player when he first stepped up.

Is Mickey Bells lad still considered a talent, is he in the next group from these lads?

I'd say the last strikers we brought through ourselves were probably Marlon Jackson, Tristan Plummer then you're probably going back to Marvin Brown and Kayode Odejayi. 

Sam Bell (Mickey's son) and Sam Pearson are the current cream of the crop. Barney Soady (also a striker) is one to watch. Joe Low is a defender with Welsh youth caps.

3 minutes ago, BetterRedthenBlue said:

I'd say the last strikers we brought through ourselves were probably Marlon Jackson, Tristan Plummer then you're probably going back to Marvin Brown and Kayode Odejayi. 

Sam Bell (Mickey's son) and Sam Pearson are the current cream of the crop. Barney Soady (also a striker) is one to watch. Joe Low is a defender which Welsh youth caps.

Wes Burns ?

6 minutes ago, BetterRedthenBlue said:

Sam Bell (Mickey's son) and Sam Pearson are the current cream of the crop. Barney Soady (also a striker) is one to watch. Joe Low is a defender which Welsh youth caps.

Semenyo and Janneh are both close to the first team picture, thought Soady was a left back?

46 minutes ago, Top Robin said:

What would the new manager base his decision on the young player?

Isn't Benayrous (murdered the spelling I apologise) supposed to be a bit decent?

Just now, Dolman_Stand said:

Semenyo and Janneh are both close to the first team picture, thought Soady was a left back?

Both came from elsewhere into the academy so weren't included (Semenyo from SGS college, Janneh came from Clevedon into the academy). 

You're right Soady is a left back I don't know why I called him a striker. 

1 hour ago, Littlesh*t said:

On that note, who was the guy in the mid-90s who I'd always read had scored for the youth or reserve teams in the BEP and had massively high hopes for but he drifted quickly out the professional game? It would have been a few years before Marvin Brown and Tristan Plummer. His first name might have started with a D...

51 minutes ago, Davefevs said:

Because without offering them a deal by 30.06, they can walk for free, and sign for whoever they want with no development compensation.

As above, most of these are a little way from first team action, so decision making by the first team manager not as imperative as for other players.  To be honest LJ was still in the job at this point anyway, so probably had some input.

Exactly, they could have been offered deals worth 50% less than they are getting now.

It’s all about the compo.

7 minutes ago, LondonBristolian said:

On that note, who was the guy in the mid-90s who I'd always read had scored for the youth or reserve teams in the BEP and had massively high hopes for but he drifted quickly out the professional game? It would have been a few years before Marvin Brown and Tristan Plummer. His first name might have started with a D...

Dominic barclay?

27 minutes ago, Dolman_Stand said:

They're both further away now than they were at the start of the 19/20 season. Both had a bad year for a few reasons.

Both are only 20 so time is on their side but I don't think they could be described as close to the first team at this point, I'd be surprised if either made an appearance next season.

16 minutes ago, Countryfile said:

Exactly, they could have been offered deals worth 50% less than they are getting now.

It’s all about the compo.

They have to be offered at least the same as they’re on now, or they can turn it down and go elsewhere, leaving us with no compensation.

15 minutes ago, Coxy27 said:

They're both further away now than they were at the start of the 19/20 season. Both had a bad year for a few reasons.

Both are only 20 so time is on their side but I don't think they could be described as close to the first team at this point, I'd be surprised if either made an appearance next season.

Both of them need a season-long loan somewhere where they're going to play regularly.

15 minutes ago, Davefevs said:

They have to be offered at least the same as they’re on now, or they can turn it down and go elsewhere, leaving us with no compensation.

“If the former club does not offer the player a contract, no training compensation is payable unless the former club can justify that it is entitled to such compensation. The former club must offer the player a contract in writing via registered post at least 60 days before the expiry of his current contract. Such an offer shall furthermore be at least of an equivalent value to his current contract. This provision is without prejudice to the right to training and compensation of the player’s previous club(s)”

Failure to meet those requirements will not affect a right to compensation for an Under 24 Player on a domestic basis, but will affect entitlement should an Under 23 Player move to another national association. 

Archived