IGNORED

Young Guns - offered extensions

Davefevs

40 minutes ago, LondonBristolian said:

On that note, who was the guy in the mid-90s who I'd always read had scored for the youth or reserve teams in the BEP and had massively high hopes for but he drifted quickly out the professional game? It would have been a few years before Marvin Brown and Tristan Plummer. His first name might have started with a D...

Was it Clifford or Difford & am I getting my decades mixed up?

8 minutes ago, Countryfile said:

“If the former club does not offer the player a contract, no training compensation is payable unless the former club can justify that it is entitled to such compensation. The former club must offer the player a contract in writing via registered post at least 60 days before the expiry of his current contract. Such an offer shall furthermore be at least of an equivalent value to his current contract. This provision is without prejudice to the right to training and compensation of the player’s previous club(s)”

Failure to meet those requirements will not affect a right to compensation for an Under 24 Player on a domestic basis, but will affect entitlement should an Under 23 Player move to another national association. 

Ta for this...??

1 hour ago, BetterRedthenBlue said:

I'd say the last strikers we brought through ourselves were probably Marlon Jackson, Tristan Plummer then you're probably going back to Marvin Brown and Kayode Odejayi. 

Sam Bell (Mickey's son) and Sam Pearson are the current cream of the crop. Barney Soady (left back) is one to watch. Joe Low is a defender with Welsh youth caps.

Went to edit just quoted myself like a tool. 

2 hours ago, Harry said:

Sam Pearson. 
Hopefully we’ll be brave and not loan him out this year and give him a shot. Why not. 

What are the rules around loaning him to a league side? What’s the deadline ?  

I’ve hardly seen him play but wasn’t he at Bath last season? To go from there to Championship level would be a lot to expect. If he started the season with us and was clearly not ready we would surely risk missing a football league loan deadline and then have to send him to non league again. 

I am all for giving youngsters a chance but only if they are ready or close to being ready, with the chance pushing them on further.

2 minutes ago, And Its Smith said:

What are the rules around loaning him to a league side? What’s the deadline ?  

I’ve hardly seen him play but wasn’t he at Bath last season? To go from there to Championship level would be a lot to expect. If he started the season with us and was clearly not ready we would surely risk missing a football league loan deadline and then have to send him to non league again. 

I am all for giving youngsters a chance but only if they are ready or close to being ready, with the chance pushing them on further.

October 12th or whatever it is, so about a month after 1st game. Bath were in national league south so could loan him to national league and a standard up

2 hours ago, Harry said:

Sam Pearson. 
Hopefully we’ll be brave and not loan him out this year and give him a shot. Why not. 

Because we'd like to win games, not just throw young kids in for the sake of it. He's been playing National League South and you expect him to suddenly jump into the Championship?!

2 minutes ago, TBW said:

Because we'd like to win games, not just throw young kids in for the sake of it. He's been playing National League South and you expect him to suddenly jump into the Championship?!

He’ll be 19 in October. 
I agree that there’s a big step up, but seemingly this kid is very good. 
I see no reason, at 19, and considering our current midfield is shite, that he couldn’t get a few games and a few sub minutes for us. After all, aren’t we supposed to be running a club that offers a pathway which can then maximise the value of our academy kids. 
I wouldn’t expect him to be a regular, of course, but maybe he’s one who could be involved? 

2 hours ago, Top Robin said:

Shouldn't any new manager have at least some input in that decision.

Thought they may wait till he was in and let him take a look before offering them deals.

Wonder who made that decision....the cleaner? 

We have plenty of coaching staff at the club, they would make decisions and be trusted. 

Tbh, your post is a tad silly! 

9 minutes ago, Harry said:

He’ll be 19 in October. 
I see no reason, at 19, and considering our current midfield is shite, that he couldn’t get a few games and a few sub minutes for us. After all, aren’t we supposed to be running a club that offers a pathway which can then maximise the value of our academy kids. 
I wouldn’t expect him to be a regular, of course, but maybe he’s one who could be involved? 

You want him to jump four leagues at 19 years old.

Great stuff.

2 hours ago, BetterRedthenBlue said:

Both came from elsewhere into the academy so weren't included (Semenyo from SGS college, Janneh came from Clevedon into the academy). 

You're right Soady is a left back I don't know why I called him a striker. 

Still the local area though ain't it which is presumably we pick all young players up, other than being born inside Ashton Gate not sure how else you can truly be academy grown. 

15 minutes ago, Harry said:

He’ll be 19 in October. 

A few games for us versus 40 games a couple of leagues below.  Think the latter might be a better option.  

12 minutes ago, Harry said:

He’ll be 19 in October. 

That's not the preferred pathway though. Those that are close to contention are sent out to get regular football and experience. As per Walsh and Morrell, who are both highly regarded by the club.

At least that's what Gary Probert told me last August at Senior Reds.

The philosophy may change under a new leader of course.

4 minutes ago, TBW said:

Great stuff.

Gow and Merrick made their City debuts in this division at 17.

Much physically tougher game back then as well.

If Pearson is good enough then at almost 19 there should be no problem integrating him into the match day squad.

14 minutes ago, TBW said:

Great stuff.

I think you misunderstand. 

Note my use of the words “be brave” in my first post to which you replied. 
I was merely suggesting that, if we wanted to be brave, then perhaps Pearson is one that could be included in the first team squad next season. 
He generally plays wide I believe. Eliasson could be off. O’Dowda’s no great shakes. Watkins too. A “brave” move might be to give him ‘some’ first team exposure. 

Your replies seem to be suggesting that I said he should start every game. Not the case your honour. Just given some squad opportunities. 

11 minutes ago, Nogbad the Bad said:

If Pearson is good enough then at almost 19 there should be no problem integrating him into the match day squad.

If he is good enough now then yes.  If he isn’t good enough now then send him on loan to get more game time. If he isn’t good enough now then that doesn’t mean he won’t be. 

14 minutes ago, Nogbad the Bad said:

Define physically tougher, all players now are a lot fitter and cover more distance per game, all players are on specific gym routines lifting weights etc so arguably the players are all physically stronger now so if anything could be harder for young players to cope with the physicality of the modern game. While they're still physically developing what they can do gym wise will still be limited to people in their early/mid 20's.

1 hour ago, Portland Bill said:

We have plenty of coaching staff at the club, they would make decisions and be trusted. 

Tbh, your post is a tad silly! 

Tbh I think your post is a tad silly also because the coaching staff is cr*p and need changing as soon as a proper manager steps in. 

2 hours ago, Nogbad the Bad said:

Struth, Bellingham is already moving on to one of the best club’s in Europe, and they’re retiring his shirt at the grand old age of 17! 

Haven't Leeds played a couple if teenagers in their automatic promotion year? 

As ever, set your aspirations low and you’ll never fail to deliver naff all.

About time we produced another young teenage star from our Academy. Clearly, for whatever reason, our Academy either ain’t producing teenage talent of a quality to compete at Championship level or a succession of Managers have no confidence that the teenagers we’re producing are good enough. 

3 hours ago, Nogbad the Bad said:

You really think football then was more difficult? Yes players may have been "harder" but with modern training methods, dieticians, a wider talent pool etc. the comparison shouldn't even be made. The difference between player ability from top-bottom divisions is much more vast now than back then.

2 hours ago, Harry said:

I was merely suggesting that, if we wanted to be brave, then perhaps Pearson is one that could be included in the first team squad next season. 
He generally plays wide I believe. Eliasson could be off. O’Dowda’s no great shakes. Watkins too. A “brave” move might be to give him ‘some’ first team exposure.

Your replies seem to be suggesting that I said he should start every game. Not the case your honour. Just given some squad opportunities.

I never said anything about starting.

Being brave isn't necessarily always a good thing. You can be brave and fall flat on your face. I'd rather us not do that to ourselves or to a young talent who needs more time to develop at a lower level.

7 hours ago, Harry said:

Sam Pearson. 

Maybe because the coaching staff have more idea about developing players than the fans???

:dunno:

4 hours ago, Harry said:

Very good post Harry.

We have failed miserably to give young Academy players a few minutes from the bench to get match day experience at Championship level that is absolutely vital to their development. To learn at first hand, the speed of thought and movement required is something that can only be learned by playing Championship football.

The last City team to get promotion to the First Division, may never have achieved this if Alan Dicks had not given them minutes at ends of games and three or five starts per season.

43 minutes ago, Redtucks said:

Maybe because the coaching staff have more idea about developing players than the fans???

:dunno:

Absolutely, I’m sure they do. 
Read my later post where I describe that I’m not advocating him to be a day 1 starter. Just that he could be the one player whom we ‘might’, ‘maybe’, ‘perhaps’ want to take a ‘brave’ shot at, if we were to do so with any of them. 

35 minutes ago, cidered abroad said:

Very good post Harry.

We have failed miserably to give young Academy players a few minutes from the bench to get match day experience at Championship level that is absolutely vital to their development. To learn at first hand, the speed of thought and movement required is something that can only be learned by playing Championship football.

The last City team to get promotion to the First Division, may never have achieved this if Alan Dicks had not given them minutes at ends of games and three or five starts per season.

I agree,  with this,

Before morell went out on loan he should of spent a season on put bench getting 10 minutes here and there, give him a taste of first team action and know what he's fighting for

Then send him out loan for a season,

We did that with vyner and semynio but we don't do it enough with all our promising players

I can under stand it when we were only aloud 3 subs and 5 subs but with 7 now on the bench they must be room for 2 youth players there and im not talking about goal keepers

9 hours ago, Harry said:

Absolutely, I’m sure they do. 
Read my later post where I describe that I’m not advocating him to be a day 1 starter. Just that he could be the one player whom we ‘might’, ‘maybe’, ‘perhaps’ want to take a ‘brave’ shot at, if we were to do so with any of them. 

As you say 'might', 'maybe', 'perhaps'...... but who is best placed to judge and make such decisions?

Coaching staff who deal with players on a daily basis, or fans who, in the vast majority of cases, know very little?

10 hours ago, cidered abroad said:

Very good post Harry.

Dicks didn't make a lot of young tactical substitutions as during the period he managed City only 1 substitute was allowed and, barring injuries, the starting XI was pretty well set. 

Archived