IGNORED

Korey Smith, all but, gone

Unan

Thanks for everything Korey, a truly excellent player for the club, giving some outstanding memories and moments.

Personally, I'd offer Smith another 2 year contract, but wish him all the best for the future if this isn't case.

I'd still like to have him around the squad.

Love the guy, wish him well, before the injuries an absolute rock, still glimpses of the class he has, but no where near the player he was.  right decision for me.

As someone else said, we need a Kory Smith Mark 11, who has height and moves the ball forward faster. (is Marvin Elliot still playing.....)

It's a shame because Korey is a player I've really enjoyed watching over a long period of time, a favourite. Plus that goal against United will never be forgotten of course.

However, you've got to be ruthless at times to succeed, and I think it is the right decision. He will most likely go to another championship club and perform admirably for them, as he always has done for us, but for where we are aiming to be, I just don't think he's quite at that level because of his injuries. Equally offering him a new deal would be a risk because of his injury record in recent seasons.

18 minutes ago, JonDolman said:

Seeing how good he still looks, I am surprised he might be off.

And very weird seeing someone say he might be off to Portsmouth! 

He's still clearly a championship midfielder.

And our best proper midfielder out of those who have been available for us since the restart.

I don't mind him being let go if we are bringing in a quality replacement. They'll have to be bloody good though to be better than Korey.

If he goes there I'm having a few quid on them to win it.  Jackett knows what he's doing.

I'm torn on if it is the right decision but I don't think it is surprising given the number of midfielders we have under contract. I'll be sorry if he goes but, on the positive side, it's hopefully a statement of confidence in Nagy, Massengo, Walsh, Morell and perhaps even Bakinson and Moreton.

The sad truth is that, if we are going to integrate young players in the team, some existing players will need to go.

I know it's not the point but Portsmouth is a lovely city. If he's off there then at least he has another decent city to live in if nothing else!

31 minutes ago, Coxy27 said:

It's a shame because Korey is a player I've really enjoyed watching over a long period of time, a favourite. Plus that goal against United will never be forgotten of course.

However, you've got to be ruthless at times to succeed, and I think it is the right decision. He will most likely go to another championship club and perform admirably for them, as he always has done for us, but for where we are aiming to be, I just don't think he's quite at that level because of his injuries. Equally offering him a new deal would be a risk because of his injury record in recent seasons.

Trouble is fools being ruthless is basically fools really messing up.  

2 hours ago, Davefevs said:

Yes, I just posted elsewhere he’s not been retained.  Hope he gets a good deal sorted whether that’s elsewhere, or he re-signs with us once new manager onboard.

Can you tell me where the retained list is please.

Thankyou Korey especially for that goal

1 minute ago, wendyredredrobin said:

Korey is our only midfielder who puts his foot in.  Really hope he is not leaving us.  If he is, we will need a replacement.  Personally, I think he's worth another contract, but perhaps his agent was asking for too much.

Han puts his foot in,

It will be really sad if he does go. I still think he has so much to offer us and easy to forget he is only 29.

You can tell from being able to listen to the players on the pitch over the last few weeks what a leader he is for us and without him I do worry where that leadership is going to come from throughout the rest of the squad.

Maybe he's not quite been back to his pre-injury best since returning but I still think he is up there with our being one of our best centre midfielders and you can make an argument for him being our only effective defensive midfielder currently. This would be his first non-injured pre-season for a fair few seasons too which if he stayed could see him kick on again. I also think with Morrell and Walsh returning his experience in there alongside them would improve both them and us as a team.  

Like I say I will certainly be disappointed if he does go.

26 minutes ago, LondonBristolian said:

I'm torn on if it is the right decision but I don't think it is surprising given the number of midfielders we have under contract. I'll be sorry if he goes but, on the positive side, it's hopefully a statement of confidence in Nagy, Massengo, Walsh, Morell and perhaps even Bakinson and Moreton.

The sad truth is that, if we are going to integrate young players in the team, some existing players will need to go.

I know it's not the point but Portsmouth is a lovely city. If he's off there then at least he has another decent city to live in if nothing else!

Haha

With Joe Morrell and Liam Walsh both having stand-out seasons on loan it's no surprise to see Smith head off. The club have been very clear they want a manager to come in and focus on making them money through the youth system and Korey is likely in the way of that.

55 minutes ago, Mr Popodopolous said:

Let's see how many Championship clubs are interested- maybe the demand isn't there, we'll see- maybe injuries played a role.

Elliott overrated a bit on here IMO, technically at least- he had a lot of good aspects but technical ability wasn't a huge one.

Did you watch us regularly in 06/07? He legitimately was fantastic, especially in the first half of the season. Genuinely Prem quality. 

Archived