IGNORED

Korey Smith, all but, gone

Unan

3 minutes ago, Phileas Fogg said:

Did you watch us regularly in 06/07? He legitimately was fantastic, especially in the first half of the season. Genuinely Prem quality. 

07/08 you mean- yes I did, he was excellent- but I wonder about some of the technical side.

He could score great goals and had fantastic energy- did he have injuries later? That may have done it! If there are any technical stats however, they would be interesting. Pass completion rate, all that.

4 minutes ago, Mr Popodopolous said:

07/08 you mean- yes I did, he was excellent- but I wonder about some of the technical side.

He could score great goals and had fantastic energy- did he have injuries later? That may have done it! If there are any technical stats however, they would be interesting.

He had to carry LJ that season as well and burned himself out. Was never the same player again. 

2 minutes ago, Mr Popodopolous said:

He could score great goals and had fantastic energy- did he have injuries later? That may have done it! If there are any technical stats however, they would be interesting. Pass completion rate, all that.

Yes sorry 07/08. 

He had a few injuries after that season if I remember correctly, it's a bit before the period where it would be logged.

For me, during that period, i'm basing it on the eye test. I was a bit young at the time to have any interest in stats, but I knew a good player when I saw one. In my opinion he was brilliant in the first few months of the season - no technician of course, but a fantastic midfield destroyer. Perfect for our style of play and a play style that could've functioned in the Prem during that period in my opinion.

1 minute ago, BCFC Richard said:

I wouldn't say this means he is definitely gone - contract is up and it makes sense to weight on new manager appointment before renewing. This might be why KS doesn't know which school yet because he is waiting and hoping to sign back on. 

He played under Hughton at Norwich so if CH joins, he may want to keep him around.

2 minutes ago, Phileas Fogg said:

Yes sorry 07/08. 

He had a few injuries after that season if I remember correctly, it's a bit before the period where it would be logged.

For me, during that period, i'm basing it on the eye test. I was a bit young at the time to have any interest in stats, but I knew a good player when I saw one. In my opinion he was brilliant in the first few months of the season - no technician of course, but a fantastic midfield destroyer. Perfect for our style of play and a play style that could've functioned in the Prem during that period in my opinion.

He played under Hughton at Norwich so if CH joins, he may want to keep him around.

Was purely some technical elements I was wondering about- he had all the other stuff though- I particularly remember his long range strikes, his energy- don't think there was such a big emphasis on stats then tbh! Excellent player in many respects that first half of a season.

5 minutes ago, bristolcitysweden said:

He had to carry LJ that season as well and burned himself out. Was never the same player again. 

Particularly when we went to a two.

As I recall for a few months in the first half of the season we had that bit more control and perhaps that bit less energy needed- with Noble behind the striker. At home anyway.

As for Smith I think on balance he can still play at this level but with one caveat- injuries or the medium-long term effects of.

Just now, Mr Popodopolous said:

Was purely some technical elements I was wondering about- he had all the other stuff though- I particularly remember his long range strikes, his energy- don't think there was such a big emphasis on stats then tbh!

At the time I don't think technical ability was as pivotal - for a brief period he was exceptional in his role for us. I remember Wolves sniffing around in the January of that season.

One very technical player we never got the best out of during that time was Trundle. What a huge waste, still managed to score some great goals.

6 minutes ago, Phileas Fogg said:

At the time I don't think technical ability was as pivotal - for a brief period he was exceptional in his role for us. I remember Wolves sniffing around in the January of that season.

One very technical player we never got the best out of during that time was Trundle. What a huge waste, still managed to score some great goals.

Had some PL quality for sure, first half of that season Elliott.

Yeah, thought so too- think Noble with some stronger off the field approach could've produced more for longer too.

Was having a quick search around and an interesting post by McIndoe from two seasons ago for the brief period he posted on here- assuming it was the real McIndoe of course! This is with respect to Trundle and that season and our midfield in general/approach.

With no disrespect to Dele, it changed the dynamics of the team so much. The defenders started going long and bypassed all the midfielders which is where a lot of the creativity and goals came from that season. Remember Byfield was the top goal scorer that 07/08 season with 8 goals. If you looked at the passing stats they dramatically dropped from January onwards, when in the first half of the season we were in the top 3 passing teams in the division. We only won, one of the last 8 matches. It wasn't a team that was getting stronger. 

Re: Trundle. Gary always demanded our strikers hunt down defenders when they were on the ball. The only problem was Trunds didn't have that kind of energy to get around the pitch. Cardiovascular wise he was one of the worst on the team. So when Gary asked him to run around more, to Trunds' credit he did try, but by the time he got to the ball he was knackered. He was a good player but you needed to just give Trunds the ball on the edge of the box and let him do his magic. He's never been one for running the channels and chasing people down. Which, I have to say baffled me when Gary signed him and asked him to play like that! 

Some interesting stuff about Trundle, our utilisation of him and indeed how goals from midfield was a feature.

3 minutes ago, Phileas Fogg said:

Yeah - there was a lesson there with Elliott in that we panicked in the face of interest from Wolves and offered him an improved long term contract. Soon after that, the injuries started. We offered him an extension in 2012 when he was injured and then got relegated and he became a player on a big wage who wasn't really playing often enough or well enough. He was perfect for us in 2007 - 2008 (and, contrary to an above post, him and LJ were a partnership which worked ideally for how we wanted to play and we never found another midfield partner that suited him so well) but never really hit the heights again.  

47 minutes ago, Davefevs said:

EFL.com

A079EF2F-7D24-4A26-8767-3CE9AD91C586.thumb.png.b1cf6b3dd258ba1a67b41e6ec9bdb3be.png

77067E53-B2AC-4EF4-985D-6B0C17172A1B.thumb.png.b1416a6d8b0d787c061194cd993085fd.png

6734A95A-F6B6-4423-9ED7-B896D1AE7C14.thumb.png.1b1ed857f7ca7a9222286fa62cf0e4b5.png

Why the hell do we have 45 pros under contract. I hope I’m wrong but why were people like Baldwin, Evans,Gilmartin, Cundy, Edwards,Holden given 2 year deals last season as cannot see any of these will break through.   I get people develop later but come on do we really need so many pros??

As for Korey outstanding player & person but time for a new challenge. In the double winning side and first year up he was superb

15 minutes ago, Mr Popodopolous said:

Had some PL quality for sure, first half of that season Elliott.

Yeah, thought so too- think Noble with some stronger off the field approach could've produced more for longer too.

Was having a quick search around and an interesting post by McIndoe from two seasons ago for the brief period he posted on here- assuming it was the real McIndoe of course! This is with respect to Trundle and that season and our midfield in general/approach.

Some interesting stuff about Trundle, our utilisation of him and indeed how goals from midfield was a feature.

If noble had a stronger off field approach he never would of played for city he'd of been in the arsenal squad

2 minutes ago, Shuffle said:

Why the hell do we have 45 pros under contract. I hope I’m wrong but why were people like Baldwin, Evans,Gilmartin, Cundy, Edwards,Holden given 2 year deals last season as cannot see any of these will break through.   I get people develop later but come on do we really need so many pros??

As for Korey outstanding player & person but time for a new challenge. In the double winning side and first year up he was superb

Couldn’t agree more, some of these are 22, 23 & 24 & are not even on loan to league sides!

A ridiculous number.

3 minutes ago, Mr Popodopolous said:

Never made the most of his ability, that's for sure.

he like jet was one of the most gifted players I saw,

I also would of played him because he was puffing from about 10 minutes in due to his lack of fitness,

While his bits of skill were sublime and goals memorable, it was also like playing with 10 men, thats what held him back sadly

1 hour ago, LondonBristolian said:

I'm torn on if it is the right decision but I don't think it is surprising given the number of midfielders we have under contract. I'll be sorry if he goes but, on the positive side, it's hopefully a statement of confidence in Nagy, Massengo, Walsh, Morell and perhaps even Bakinson and Moreton.

The sad truth is that, if we are going to integrate young players in the team, some existing players will need to go.

I know it's not the point but Portsmouth is a lovely city. If he's off there then at least he has another decent city to live in if nothing else!

I think when you look at that list of midfielders, Smith is the best - maybe troubled only by Walsh. Should we be letting our best midfielder go? Probably not in my opinion. 

2 minutes ago, Fordy62 said:

I think when you look at that list of midfielders, Smith is the best - maybe troubled only by Walsh. Should we be letting our best midfielder go? Probably not in my opinion. 

Certainly it speaks for itself that he's the (only) midfielder that got selected for the last few games. I still think we've not found out how best to use Nagy and I hope we can see more from him next year but I agree it is a risk to let go of the player who is playing regularly on the expectation of improvement from those who are not. If it works, I think we could have a really exciting midfield next season but it involves expecting two players to step up perfectly from League One and two more to build on inconsistent first seasons and prove their potential. That's a gamble in anyone's book. 

13 minutes ago, Fordy62 said:

Pre covid id agree, post covid we have to get rid to free up space, there's going to be reduced budgets all round,

And with his injury record can we afford to carry him?

Its tough I love Smith he was a great player for us but I think its the right decision

It also frees space for a international midfielder who by all accounts is a good holding player called Joe morell 

I would imagine that even in Covid times he will get a decent signing on fee from Portsmouth or whoever, which with a decent wage would be a better bet for him financially. At his age probably the last opportunity and having seen all his ex-team mates get likewise he probably feels it’s his time anyway.

Archived