IGNORED

Korey Smith, all but, gone

Unan

56 minutes ago, LondonBristolian said:

Certainly it speaks for itself that he's the (only) midfielder that got selected for the last few games. I still think we've not found out how best to use Nagy and I hope we can see more from him next year but I agree it is a risk to let go of the player who is playing regularly on the expectation of improvement from those who are not. If it works, I think we could have a really exciting midfield next season but it involves expecting two players to step up perfectly from League One and two more to build on inconsistent first seasons and prove their potential. That's a gamble in anyone's book. 

It’s as big a gamble as straying away from your usual Chinese takeaway on a Friday night!

Whatever happens he can leave City with his head held high. He gave us one of the greatest moments in any of our City supporting lives and has never let us down. I`ve never met Korey but listening to those who have he appears to be one of football`s good guys and a really nice bloke as well.

Good luck to him wherever he ends up - Pompey would be a good fit I reckon or maybe Argyle?

4 hours ago, Lanterne Rouge said:

Whatever happens he can leave City with his head held high. He gave us one of the greatest moments in any of our City supporting lives and has never let us down. I`ve never met Korey but listening to those who have he appears to be one of football`s good guys and a really nice bloke as well.

Good luck to him wherever he ends up - Pompey would be a good fit I reckon or maybe Argyle?

Met him several times, he is exactly as you state.

20 hours ago, Monkeh said:

Han puts his foot in,

I think we are in big trouble if we are relying on HNM to replace Korey, Yet. 

HNM is clearly gifted and has potential, but I've been a bit disappointed with his progress personally. 

I know he's a kid, so I'm certainly not writing him off..! I'm just saying that he's nowhere near Korey, yet! 

He impacts games very little, creates nothing and basically trots around plying a few nice touches but not controlling the game. Imo. 

4 hours ago, Bar BS3 said:

I think we are in big trouble if we are relying on HNM to replace Korey, Yet. 

HNM is clearly gifted and has potential, but I've been a bit disappointed with his progress personally. 

I know he's a kid, so I'm certainly not writing him off..! I'm just saying that he's nowhere near Korey, yet! 

He impacts games very little, creates nothing and basically trots around plying a few nice touches but not controlling the game. Imo. 

Different types of midfielder imho.  If anything Morrell is the closest type of midfielder we have to Korey.

10 hours ago, Lanterne Rouge said:

I will be very suprised if a championship team doesn't offer him a contract, in the current climate many clubs will be looking to free agent players. Korey is an experienced championship midfielder, and would be a great signing for one of the promoted teams. 

19 minutes ago, Enoch said:

I will be very suprised if a championship team doesn't offer him a contract, in the current climate many clubs will be looking to free agent players. Korey is an experienced championship midfielder, and would be a great signing for one of the promoted teams. 

And this sums up why not renewing his contract is, in my opinion, the right one. He has been a good player for us but we are not a newly promoted team or a team languishing near the bottom, looking for an experienced midfielder. We are an established championship team looking to push on and need some better players to help us do just that.

Whoever the new man is has a good squad to work with but I would say we would be looking for an upgrade in all the 'spine' positions.

An absolutely brilliant guy and like Tins will be forever part of folklore of this club but I feel his time has come  especially with the injuries he's had and he'll either team up with Lee Johnson again or get a two year contract at Cardiff (assuming they don't win the pray offs) and good luck to him.

A great servant of the club but it's a area we need to overhaul and if we are to move forward, regrettably it has to be without him. 

We have to look at Walsh, Nagy and Morrell. They are the new Pack, Smith and Brownhill.

On 25/07/2020 at 09:41, Lanterne Rouge said:

Great guy all ways gave 100 per cent 

also on a personal note very friendly and my son will always remember him for giving him his training top and sign it

great footballer and family guy

13 hours ago, JonDolman said:

I am confused by the lack of praise for Korey from recent games. I think he's been superb. So reliable on the ball. Faces his opponent and knows he won't lose the ball. Little sharp movements to go one way or the other gets him away from pressing forwards, giving him enough room to make the pass.

His passing is decent. Not Walsh quality, but he finds his man in the wide areas and does some nice passes forwards along the ground too.

One on one defending he still has it too. Against Stoke near the end during a Stoke counter I was thinking we are in trouble, but when i saw Korey I felt it will all be fine. He dealt with it no problem.

How many times have we seen that.

I don't mind letting him go if we can get better. But Nagy can't do what Korey can do.

Korey is our best midfielder at the moment. Surely.

I don’t think there has been a lack of praise for Korey what so ever. I just think there has been a general acceptance amongst the majority that it’s time to move on. 

There can be no room for sentiment, however that doesn’t mean what he’s done for the club has been forgotten. Since his arrival he has been absolutely brilliant for us. On and off the pitch as well. In my eyes he will forever be highly regarded. I am gutted to see him go but it is the right decision, particularly with his injury record. He isn’t the Korey of old.

I genuinely hope he gets a deal he deserves as he is a fantastic pro.

1 hour ago, Taylor10 said:

I don’t think there has been a lack of praise for Korey what so ever. I just think there has been a general acceptance amongst the majority that it’s time to move on. 

There can be no room for sentiment, however that doesn’t mean what he’s done for the club has been forgotten. Since his arrival he has been absolutely brilliant for us. On and off the pitch as well. In my eyes he will forever be highly regarded. I am gutted to see him go but it is the right decision, particularly with his injury record. He isn’t the Korey of old.

I genuinely hope he gets a deal he deserves as he is a fantastic pro.

So, club have not added to retained list....so officially he’s left.  I understand that.  Timing of manager getting sacked and short term extension ending has left club in a position where they couldn’t keep him.

Its not to say the new manager might try and resign him either, that is a possibility.  If a rumour of PNE being interested, and Alex Neil suddenly became our manager, then you never know.

I don’t think he is past it and Championship level either.  In the right midfield he is still a decent player.

19 minutes ago, Davefevs said:

So, club have not added to retained list....so officially he’s left.  I understand that.  Timing of manager getting sacked and short term extension ending has left club in a position where they couldn’t keep him.

Its not to say the new manager might try and resign him either, that is a possibility.  If a rumour of PNE being interested, and Alex Neil suddenly became our manager, then you never know.

I don’t think he is past it and Championship level either.  In the right midfield he is still a decent player.

I think it’s time to move on Davo. Regardless of who comes in.

I don’t think he’s past it at champ level but he’s past his best with us for where this club apparently wants to go. Great servant but I think he is deserving of more than a year deal somewhere and he won’t get that here. I think with his injury record as well it makes sense.

8 hours ago, Taylor10 said:

I think it’s time to move on Davo. Regardless of who comes in.

I don’t think he’s past it at champ level but he’s past his best with us for where this club apparently wants to go. Great servant but I think he is deserving of more than a year deal somewhere and he won’t get that here. I think with his injury record as well it makes sense.

I’m not disagreeing, just giving a scenario.

Archived