IGNORED

The Coronavirus and its impact on sport/Fans Return (Merged)

Loderingo

Noises don't sound encouraging- yes this article is about the PL (isn't everything!) but what goes there has some relevance further down.

https://www.dailymail.co.uk/sport/football/article-8621341/Premier-League-clubs-stand-Government-fans-returning-stadiums.html

Sportsmail has learned that the Sports Grounds Safety Authority (SGSA), the public body responsible for ensuring the safety of spectators, have based their target of 30 per cent occupancy at stadiums when fans are permitted to return on selling tickets in blocks of six, which the clubs consider impractical.

Talks remain ongoing between the Premier League, the clubs and the Department for Digital, Culture, Media & Sport but there are concerns that if the SGSA recommendations are adopted then the planned return of fans will prove unworkable and could be uneconomic for those in the lower divisions.

The clubs' priority when crowds are allowed is to ensure that as many season-ticket holders as possible are able to attend matches, with their data showing very few fans go to games in groups of six.

Wonder what the numbers, proportion for us is in terms of fans attending in groups of 6?

Given most season-ticket holders generally attend games in much smaller groups, it is feared that clubs will only be able to operate grounds at around 20 per cent of capacity if they are to comply with the Government's social distancing guidance. Such an occupancy rate would still be worthwhile in the Premier League due to their high ticket prices but clubs in the lower leagues may find it uneconomic.

More like or closer to 20% rather than 40% then!

So its alright for thousands of people to sit on Bournemouth beach and wander around the town at will. 100's mingling in town centres shopping and from September 30 kids plus a few adults compressed in small classrooms (indoors !!) but sports fans cant be trusted to act responsibly inside a stadium.

Sorry but from someone who strictly adheres to social distancing I think it is more mixed messages from Government. 

I would quite happily return to watch live football if every second seat is left unoccupied, concession stands and toilets closed (so no queueing).

Under the above guidelines I wont be attending if I have to turn up 3 hrs before...especially after a 2 hour journey to get to the ground in the first place.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

1 minute ago, italian dave said:

So, you may have to arrive 3 hours before the start; and the toilets are closed. That's 5 hours without a wee. Do they judge everyone's bladder capacity by that of Dominic Cummings?

Yup, the no toilets is a mental suggestion. What about if my 8 year old needs to go??

What I think you can do at AG because of the way it’s structured is put in “checkpoints” to limit the number of people in each concourse area, which would help. For example you could have people entering the Lansdown via designated “gates” and barrier halfway down the concourse so that only (say) 50% of the reduced capacity in that stand have access to a certain area. Means less pressure on the more popular bars, and quite vitally, also reduces the number potentially impacted by contact tracing on any positive test.

On 24/07/2020 at 17:12, Dredd said:

So with the government saying that they would be looking to open up stadiums to around a third of capacity from October, that’s roughly 8,600 allowed into AG. 
There are likely going to be other rules around concourse size and family groups being allowed to sit together but on a basic level that’s what we are going to have to work with. 
I wonder if the amount of season tickets sold pre lockdown means we can accommodate all current season ticket applicants/holders, with some sort of buy back scheme for those who can’t attend/ don’t want to attend certain games? Or if we have already sold into double figures and someone is going to miss out. Lots of thinking for the club on this one. Let’s hope they make the right decisions with a nice early (well thought out) decision/communication. 

With no away supporters they should be able to safe distance  using all the stands 

52 minutes ago, Sir Geoff said:

So its alright for thousands of people to sit on Bournemouth beach and wander around the town at will. 100's mingling in town centres shopping and from September 30 kids plus a few adults compressed in small classrooms (indoors !!) but sports fans cant be trusted to act responsibly inside a stadium.

Sorry but from someone who strictly adheres to social distancing I think it is more mixed messages from Government. 

I would quite happily return to watch live football if every second seat is left unoccupied, concession stands and toilets closed (so no queueing).

Under the above guidelines I wont be attending if I have to turn up 3 hrs before...especially after a 2 hour journey to get to the ground in the first place.

If there was a Saturday and Tuesday home match you'd be better sleeping in the concourse ?

Just now, sglosbcfc said:

If there was a Saturday and Tuesday home match you'd be better sleeping in the concourse ?

Just as a thought on that - as and when we do restart there needs to be an end to the 5pm Tuesday kick offs. Even if they are available on Robins TV a large proportion of people are back in work and it’s unreasonable to have games at that time in view of that.

• Like 3

1 minute ago, AshtonGreat said:

Surely all they would need to do is make people wear masks while queuing for the toilet. Problem solved. 

It’s a logistical nightmare to implement social distancing at a football match. Even with gaps between each seat there’d still be those sat behind and below you 

It would safer if everyone wore masks throughout the entire match day experience and not just when using the toilets.

16 minutes ago, Robbored said:

It’s a logistical nightmare to implement social distancing at a football match. Even with gaps between each seat there’d still be those sat behind and below you 

It would safer if everyone wore masks throughout the entire match day experience and not just when using the toilets.

Have you got any proof that it is safer for people to wear masks? 

Top Dutch scientists have stated they see no benefits with masks and could do more harm than good.

Unless everyone wears kn95 or FFP3 masks etc. 

Just now, S25loyal said:

Top Dutch scientists have stated they see no benefits with masks and could do more harm than good.

Our top scientists say that wearing a face mask protects others from you so if everyone wore a mask we would all be safer.

The other difficulty in a football stadium is touching surfaces, particularly hand rails. Not sure how that issue would be overcome.

3 minutes ago, S25loyal said:

It’s pretty much undeniably safer and the scientists you mention are outliers.

If you work on the basis the virus is spread through air based transmission, then what you need to do is reduce the chances of a person who has the virus passing it on. Face masks (of pretty much any kind to some extent) will block the particles coming out of your mouth into the wider airstream. 

The risk is that people wearing masks either become complacent or touch their faces more, but as a concept, masks are a safety improver.

This is a decent way of showing this:

• Like 2

44 minutes ago, Clutton Caveman said:

Considering the current economic climate and feelings about the recent coaching appointments, if the club offered a full 100% refund on the season ticket how many would take it

I certainly would think seriously about it

I would consider it, depending on what was on offer. (£350 for a season of Robins TV is not good enough)

I'd be happy to take a pro rata refund on a game by game basis too, if it looks possible that we will be allowed in before the season ends. 

EDIT: should make clear that my own decision would be absolutely nothing to do with coaching appointments

Edited by sinenomine

54 minutes ago, Robbored said:

It's an outside environment and not face to face contact, so based on current guidelines in the UK masks wouldn't be necessary or any safer - from what I've read. No different to sitting in a pub garden with someone on the table next to you. Its definitely the concourses and facilities plus getting in and out of the ground in crowds that is the big issue here - sitting in your seat distanced from the next group of people is the easy bit

53 minutes ago, MarcusX said:

It's an outside environment and not face to face contact, so based on current guidelines in the UK masks wouldn't be necessary or any safer - from what I've read. No different to sitting in a pub garden with someone on the table next to you. Its definitely the concourses and facilities plus getting in and out of the ground in crowds that is the big issue here - sitting in your seat distanced from the next group of people is the easy bit

The thing is fans would probably shout/chant without a mask on, this makes droplets travel further, the distances fans are away under proposals is under guidance of no chanting/shouting so its safe. Having a mask on either prevents droplets travelling should the person still shout or discourages the person from doing so in the first place.

• Like 1

This has been the understanding for a while now, no chanting/shouting due to the fact droplets travel further as a result. The organised seating arrangements are based on health and safety without this. If you wanted chanting etc as normal then you'd get a fraction of the amount of fans in.

40% reduction in spread with masks is a mooted figure.

Toilets proposal will be for use (or in this case non-use) at HT I think. 

Kickoff times? Will depend in part on Government guidance for use of hotels etc I'd suggest.

We'll see what the EFL propose anyway. I asked Jerry about this in SLO section a while ago and he didn't really state in fact he absolutely didn't state I'd it was EFL or club led. 

I have a feeling as the competition organiser it's EFL/centrally planned.