IGNORED

The Coronavirus and its impact on sport/Fans Return (Merged)

Loderingo

I went to Weymouth 2wks ago, Weymouth were playing at Wembley in a playoff final and won, there supporters were in a pub on the seafront singing and cheering there team on, which I don't blame them, so what's the difference, how can you stop cheering your team on, that's the pleasure of going to football, no one is going to just sit still & quiet, 

Hopefully this means no Robins TV commentary as that surely increases the potential droplets.

I recommend using the stands as quarantine zones. Children and families in a children's and families enclosure as children are mixing anyway so their parents are all high risk.

Singing section for people who agree to put themselves at that risk.

Dolman moaners section for people who agree only to moan and not sing or clap.

Isolated corporate boxes for the elderly/high risk people.

At some point this becomes silly.

Like can we shout if we wear a mask? Can we speak at the ground? Can we cheer? Having a steward come over and throw you out would endanger them and you.

1 minute ago, Prinny said:

Hopefully this means no Robins TV commentary as that surely increases the potential droplets.

I recommend using the stands as quarantine zones. Children and families in a children's and families enclosure as children are mixing anyway so their parents are all high risk.

Singing section for people who agree to put themselves at that risk.

Dolman moaners section for people who agree only to moan and not sing or clap.

Isolated corporate boxes for the elderly/high risk people.

At some point this becomes silly.

Like can we shout if we wear a mask? Can we speak at the ground? Can we cheer? Having a steward come over and throw you out would endanger them and you.

Got to remember professional sport is only being allowed to return under strict circumstances as it is. Have to wonder whether twice weekly testing will continue when amateur sport is allowed to return though.

• Like 1

1 minute ago, Lrrr said:

Got to remember professional sport is only being allowed to return under strict circumstances as it is. Have to wonder whether twice weekly testing will continue when amateur sport is allowed to return though.

It's the sanity of the rules and the degree of acceptable risk.

It's more dangerous to have the fans than not. So if it's really about safety then you just don't have them.

This potential code is about money and the PR of safety, not actual safety.

• Admin
44 minutes ago, wendyredredrobin said:

This is madness.  It's either safe to fill a stadium and vocally support your team or it isn't. In my view, it is not currently safe and probably won't be until we either have a vaccine or achieve herd immunity.

I miss it like everyone else does, but it's not worth dying for.  CTID

No offence, but are you aware of how life has been slowly getting back to normal?

Your statement above is very sensationalistic and medically proven that people can be around each other with the right measure in place

KH-GRAPHIC-STADIUMS-FANS-RESTRICTIONS.jp

1 hour ago, phantom said:

No offence, but are you aware of how life has been slowly getting back to normal?

Your statement above is very sensationalistic and medically proven that people can be around each other with the right measure in place

KH-GRAPHIC-STADIUMS-FANS-RESTRICTIONS.jp

Well, how come then Germany, that is and has been generally doing better than us with Covid, has put the kibosh on fans returning as planned?

Are we less at risk here then?

That said those plans give me some grounds for cautious optimism but I'm wondering if the Science fully justifies it.

Edited by Mr Popodopolous

• Admin
2 minutes ago, Mr Popodopolous said:

So how come then Germany, that is and has been generally doing better than us with Covid, has put the kibosh on fans returning as planned?

Are we less at risk here then?

For every Germany I could quote you a Hungary 

• Admin
5 minutes ago, Mr Popodopolous said:

Fair. Would have to look up on Hungary and their R-rate etc- maybe they've done better still!

I wonder how well the Science justifies it though.

I guess it's just a classic example of how each countries government handle the situation 

• Like 1

1 hour ago, phantom said:

With respect, that response is patronising and dismissive. I'm sure Wendy is quite well aware, as we all are, but she makes a perfectly valid point and I would not call it sensationalist at all. Moreover, very little about Covid19 is "medically proven", as you put it. There is the scientific advice, which varies from expert to expert and is revised and refined as more research is done and more data becomes available. Much of it is good advice, but ultimately it is scientific opinion, not scientific fact. Safety in this context is a relative concept. Nowhere and nothing is completely safe at this stage in the pandemic - as localised surges in infections and the reintroduction of measures that had earlier been relaxed clearly demonstrates. And that's before you even get to the vexed subject of compliance. Some sections of the great British public have not exactly covered themselves in glory, as Bournemouth residents could readily confirm. I will take some convincing that it's possible to re-open stadiums with a degree of safety that would be acceptable to most people. And in the face of what looks disturbingly like complacency, Wendy is quite right, in my view, to remind us that this horrible and really very dangerous disease is potentially lethal, as the best part of 50,000 UK citizens have sadly discovered to their cost.  

• Like 4

• Admin
1 hour ago, CliftonCliff said:

With respect, that response is patronising and dismissive. I'm sure Wendy is quite well aware, as we all are, but she makes a perfectly valid point and I would not call it sensationalist at all. Moreover, very little about Covid19 is "medically proven", as you put it. There is the scientific advice, which varies from expert to expert and is revised and refined as more research is done and more data becomes available. Much of it is good advice, but ultimately it is scientific opinion, not scientific fact. Safety in this context is a relative concept. Nowhere and nothing is completely safe at this stage in the pandemic - as localised surges in infections and the reintroduction of measures that had earlier been relaxed clearly demonstrates. And that's before you even get to the vexed subject of compliance. Some sections of the great British public have not exactly covered themselves in glory, as Bournemouth residents could readily confirm. I will take some convincing that it's possible to re-open stadiums with a degree of safety that would be acceptable to most people. And in the face of what looks disturbingly like complacency, Wendy is quite right, in my view, to remind us that this horrible and really very dangerous disease is potentially lethal, as the best part of 50,000 UK citizens have sadly discovered to their cost.  

Fair point, and I am aware that in the past I have been told my posts come across in a way I never intended

Without us all diverting off topic, there is a good thread here debating the virus etc, I want to finish by saying I really do understand peoples concerns. But I work in the medical industry and have been heavilly involved in getting thousands of staff back into hundreds of sites around the country so am probably looking at things in a different light

• Thanks 1

No mention of a membership scheme for the upcoming season.

With crowds likely to be restricted to less than the number of season ticket holders, it would seem fairly pointless - but then again, if full crowds resume in 2021 it would still be nice to have some sort of priority ahead of the general punter. Plus the membership scheme did offer a few other benefits such as shop discount.

Perhaps a token £5 membership fee might be a good idea?

Anyone heard anything?

So for a test event the snooker at the crucible is allowed 30% capacity indoor with minimal social distance (ie row infront just off to the side being used) and no masks worn, whereas football outdoor will seemingly be allowed 20% capacity, very strict distancing and masks to be worn...... okay then

@Lrrr

Don't think snooker crowds are so passionate- it's small small numbers there also. Should be masks however at Crucible! Droplets possibly less likely at snooker?

https://theathletic.co.uk/1996223/2020/08/16/return-fans-coronavirus-project-restart/

Behind a paywall BUT saw it on another forum so with credit to that forum, the relevant bit of the post (not the article) copied and pasted.

A lot of this has been steadily leaking out already, some points are augmented into initial plans and one or two are new.

Probably no non-season ticket holders.

Known.

Probably no away fans.

Known.

Probably no food and drink

New! However in line with my thoughts on one type of drink in particular.

One-way systems and perspex screens in toilets.

Mix of known and new.

Additional portaloos

Seen in one or two places but newish.

Max of 30% capacities, but toilet capacity and concourse width may mean as low as 20% at even some Premier League grounds

Broadly known, but adds some detail.

At least a metre between groups of fans.

Broadly expected? Bit more detail though.

Maximum of 6 fans together, from 2 different households

Known, broadly.

Assigned arrival times for fans

Not surprising- been mooted for some time.

Ballots and loyalty point calculation for season ticket holders who may get to only half the games with refunds for games not attended

Not been spoken about that much in the buildup but bits of it certainly.

Fans may not be in usual block, let alone seat

Makes sense.

Temperature checks on arrival

Been mooted but how clearly defined it's been...?

Mandatory masks

Makes a degree of sense- would knock the idea of alcohol in seats on the head.

If I was to sum it up in one word? Grim!

The bit doesn't make sense to me is how masks to prevent spread of droplets are consistent with alcohol in seats- do you take your masks off in the seats or? This is in terms of consistency.

Edited by Mr Popodopolous
  • Thanks 3

The obvious problem with mandatory masks is that they will negate atmosphere as they muffle noise. I've even seen it suggested that no singing or chanting will be allowed. Not sure therefore if the players will notice the difference between real people and cardboard crowdies. 

If attendance is allowed as a ST holder I'd have no problem with a ballot to determine whether I could go, and being assigned a seat for the gane if successful. Its certainly fairer than a discriminatory determination by age, risk etc without recourse to asking my views. 

• Like 1

15 minutes ago, Super said:

It's bad enough wearing a mask in a shop for 10 mins, especially for many like me that wear glasses!

Was about to say the same. How people are expected to wear one for 90 minutes or more. I found it a problem after 10 minutes on the bus and five minutes in the shop.

• Like 2