IGNORED

The Coronavirus and its impact on sport/Fans Return (Merged)

Loderingo

On 23/08/2020 at 09:59, The Horse With No Name said:

A few years ago, my company issued a Health and Safety notice that all machine shop employees had to wear safety glasses  and gloves, along with the already mandatory safety boots and overalls. The issue I had was with the latex gloves, believing them to be uncomfortable, sweaty and would hinder my ability to use equipment etc, so after many complaints the wearing of gloves was optional. 

Then, I actually contacted a skin condition connected to the chemicals used in work resulting in very dry , cracked and itchy hands, and started wearing the gloves as a part of the treatment. 3 years on, my skin condition has totally cleared up but I feel unable to function WITHOUT the gloves now, even wearing them at home for the most mundane DIY jobs.

But gloves don’t restrict your breathing. 

36 minutes ago, James54De said:

There actual scientific evidence that shows they don’t. Like, literal evidence. A surgical mask doesn’t stop the flow of air if worn correctly. 

I wish someone could show me where I’m going wrong then because it certainly affects my breathing and I’ve tried all sorts of styles and whilst some are better than others they still all affect me to some degree. I’m relatively fit and healthy and when I had cause to have my oxygen saturation levels recorded last year I was at 98/99 like the doctor in the video. Maybe I’m an outlier or maybe it’s a case that masks don’t affect the oxygen levels but in order to produce those levels you have to breathe harder/less efficiently?  I’m in no way against wearing them by the way - just find them a pain! 

1 hour ago, James54De said:

There actual scientific evidence that shows they don’t. Like, literal evidence. A surgical mask doesn’t stop the flow of air if worn correctly. 

It’s more the horrible feeling of them (And seeing everyone else wearing them). Scientific evidence or not, a runner isn’t going to put one on by choice to do a 10k. 

6 hours ago, sinenomine said:

It's hard to know what to believe half the time, when other videos doing the rounds show they do have an effect (admittedly they are likely not to be by qualified professionals).

I do know that my other half has a splitting headache after wearing a mask after every shift.  Needs must in these times I suppose though.

32 minutes ago, phantom said:

Just thinking practically how would that work at football? Where would you get tested? Where do you wait while waiting on the results? How do you stop someone just going into the ground anyway?

1 hour ago, Lrrr said:

Just thinking practically how would that work at football? Where would you get tested? Where do you wait while waiting on the results? s?

Just refuse entry to anyone until their results known.

Other bits- plus what @bristolcitysweden said about crowded areas, these are more problematic.

Generally speaking, onus would be on the fans to behave responsibly and to comply with reasonable requests. Maybe things are moving along more quickly than the doomsday article in The Athletic a few weeks back but...

Edited by Mr Popodopolous

1 hour ago, Lrrr said:

Just thinking practically how would that work at football? Where would you get tested? Where do you wait while waiting on the results? How do you stop someone just going into the ground anyway?

It wouldn’t work for a large crowd unless people got there in staggered groups hours and hours before the game. 

Whole thing is a nonsense. 

As a COPD sufferer I can assure everyone that wearing a mask does restrict breathing more than my already restricted air flow. It put extra stress on the heart as it is made to work even harder. Asthma and COPD sufferers are exempt from mask wearing for a reason, although I do wear one while doing quick shops at Tesco and the like, just to stop the hassle from others.

8 hours ago, James54De said:

Ok fella. So why do asthma sufferers have an exemption? 

4 hours ago, James54De said:

Oh dear. And please none of the ‘fella’. 

Since when did ‘fella’ become an insult? 
I use it all the time, even amongst friends, it’s always been a friendly term as far as I’m concerned. Weird. 

Anyway. I think you’re wrong. You think I’m wrong. That’s not gonna change and you’re certainly not going to convince me that my experience of mask-wearing leads to a breathing restriction. I don’t care about a couple of “scientific” reports, my own physical experience is how I base my opinion.

I’m not saying people will be on the verge of fainting, just that there is definitely a restriction to the flow of air. 

Edited by Harry

54 minutes ago, Harry said:

Since when did ‘fella’ become an insult? 
I use it all the time, even amongst friends, it’s always been a friendly term as far as I’m concerned.  

Yep, it's what I call my best mate all the time.

Mind you, he is a tree surgeon. ;)

• Like 1
  • Haha 3
  • Flames 1

The issue with masks is that they do restrict gas flow to some degree when filtering the air that you breath. For the vast majority of people with no breathing issues this is not a problem at rest or during mild exercise as the tidal volumes that you breathe and the rate will be relatively low. With increasing amounts of exercise, it becomes more problematic, as you breathe more deeply and quicker. However even with moderate exercise, it’s the sensation of feeling a bit breathless exacerbated by the filtering effect of the mask slowing the flow somewhat rather than any appreciable change in either oxygen or carbon dioxide that kicks in first. That’s likely why those with existing problems with flow of air into their lungs, e.g. those with asthma or COPD, may find it worse with a mask, especially if they are doing any form of activity.

Having tested staff wearing the much more occlusive FFP3 masks, we know that in “normal usage” that body oxygen and carbon dioxide levels are not affected.

As for the return to grounds to watch games, I still think that even if this does restart, numbers will be very limited for some time (probably until we have an effective vaccine), which could mean that this coming season is pretty much a write off as well. As for when we might see full grounds again, no one really knows.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

Government department seem happy enough with the Brighton v Chelsea trial.

https://www.dailymail.co.uk/sport/football/article-8682713/Government-officials-happy-footballs-pilot-return-spectators.html

How long is incubation period for Covid-19? Hopefully as many of them as possible get tested- it'll offer a broader picture then.

There doesn't seem to be a definitive "It is incubated for x days" online- seem to be quite big ranges.

Edited by Mr Popodopolous

On 17/08/2020 at 08:45, exAtyeoMax said:

Was about to say the same. How people are expected to wear one for 90 minutes or more. I found it a problem after 10 minutes on the bus and five minutes in the shop.

Just returned from holiday abroad and had to wear a mask for the duration of the flight of just under 4 hours - no problem at all.

Masks mandatory in all open and enclosed areas except bars/restaurants/beach/pool etc. 

Although I didn't see the benefit in the open air with no one within 10m, especially in up to 40c heat (which isn't going to be a problem here).

• Like 2

Not sure if I’ve missed anything....and I’m far to bone idle to go looking! But....has there been any steer in season tickets this season? 

The reality is we’ve paid for 23 home games, but we are not going to get that. Any update on options? Possible refunds? Partial refunds? 

The silence is unusual. Bristol Sport are normally so good with their communication 

• Haha 4

2 hours ago, Andy082005 said:

Not sure if I’ve missed anything....and I’m far to bone idle to go looking! But....has there been any steer in season tickets this season? 

The reality is we’ve paid for 23 home games, but we are not going to get that. Any update on options? Possible refunds? Partial refunds? 

The silence is unusual. Bristol Sport are normally so good with their communication 

If you’re far too bone idle to look, why should anyone bother to tell you? 

• Haha 2