IGNORED

The Coronavirus and its impact on sport/Fans Return (Merged)

Loderingo

14 minutes ago, phantom said:

Four pilot events been announced for pre-season matches in the National League

September 22nd Dagenham & Redbridge Vs Concord Rangers

September 22nd Yeovil Vs Bath 

September 22nd Dartford Vs Dover

September 26th Notts County Vs York

Yeovil and Bath not in the same division

• Admin
6 minutes ago, Alex_BCFC said:

Really poor. With lockdown coming for everyone by looks of it, forget live professional football this season I think.

OK, there is a thread already discussing the virus. 

A second lockdown is a VERY long way from happening

Survival rate still around 99.9%

Just now, bristolcitysweden said:

Yeovil and Bath not in the same division

Just now, Alex_BCFC said:

Guess it should read pre-season matches for teams in the National League.

It does say that

• Like 1

On 18/09/2020 at 11:43, MarcusX said:

well, this government didn't think there was any risk for 1000s of people to attend Cheltenham ?‍♂️

Apparently someone called Baroness Dido Harding (wife of Weston MP John Penrose) is on the Board of Stewards at the Jockey Club, which oversees horse racing in this country and would have had to sanction Cheltenham going ahead. I wonder what happened to her? Talk about a “club”!

• Like 1

Although rates of infection are relatively low in the South West, there is no guarantee that will continue. We were lucky with the first wave that with the exception of Gloucestershire that was probably affected by Cheltenham going ahead, the prevalence of the infection was really low (the lowest in the country) when we went into lockdown in March. That means there is a greater “at risk” population here as well.

Given what is happening in the rest of the country, I wouldn’t be surprised if there was some form of national lockdown again in October, not as severe as before, but including suspending these test events. Ideally everyone in the ground including club staff, spectators and everyone on the pitch should be swabbed on arrival at the ground, but I am not clear that has happened anywhere.

• Thanks 1

It's worth noting if it needs repeating that towns/cities under localised restrictive measures are not eligible for such a time as the infections are at such a rate. Obvious.

If I have a small concern about Bristol and sport, it is that the return of students- think quite a few have been here for the duration but return in large numbers will see things flare up and localised restrictive measures will scupper such a return! Already concern that in Oxford it has happened or is happening. Student return causing a spike bit I mean, and obviously that means zero Test events if it reaches such a point.

Edited by Mr Popodopolous

After this weekend results, could it be said that not having fans in the ground has contributed to teams playing more freely. If you look at the results today and yesterday, the number of goals scored seems a lot higher than usual. There are only a tiny handful of no score draws and in most games there have been 2 or more goals.

Edited by Midlands Robin

I would not be surprised if they changed the Euro 2020 format and narrow down the amount of countries hosting games . Still a long way off yet and a lot can change . Regarding city will just be our luck to have a great season and not be able to go ,also fear for a lot of the smaller clubs 

Edited by sticks 1969

2 minutes ago, Super said:

Did anyone really think this would happen. I dont think fans will be back this season.

No i didn't think it would happen,

I dont expect fans will be back in any sort of number before a vaccine has been developed and even then I dont think it will be back to normal for a number of years 

• Like 1

I thought that for the first time, this Government might actually be sensible, and realise that restricted attendances at League One and below will be perfectly safe and manageable, and keep the clubs afloat. Championship may be a bit more difficult, but should be achievable, albeit with a low percentage.

I just find it odd that I can’t watch Bath City safely in a socially distanced manner, in a crowd of <1,000, but could drink from 7am to 10pm in a Wetherspoons.

5 minutes ago, Chappers said:

I thought that for the first time, this Government might actually be sensible, and realise that restricted attendances at League One and below will be perfectly safe and manageable, and keep the clubs afloat. Championship may be a bit more difficult, but should be achievable, albeit with a low percentage.

I just find it odd that I can’t watch Bath City safely in a socially distanced manner, in a crowd of <1,000, but could drink from 7am to 10pm in a Wetherspoons.

To be fair, the one thing amongst his word salad that Gove said was sensible was that it wasn’t about necessarily the watching of the game, it was the crowds in the concourses and tubes/buses etc at pinch points like half time etc.

Its also worth saying that some teams have turned down the pilot events because they would lose money if less  than x fans came in.

If I take the blue few, the Memorial isn’t really set up to allow a good flow for exit/entrance without pinch points so even on a small attendance, there is some logic. Even at Yate Town the other night, total social distance inside but at exit it was a bit of a slow crowd shuffle.

Its a problem that has to be solved, or the consequences in the lower leagues will be dire, but there is at least a modicum of logic

10 minutes ago, Chappers said:

Without getting into politics, it’s bonkers.  The logic of one thing being allowed over another is influenced by the wrong factors.  You get BS that education is so important, then you open pubs ahead of it.

30 minutes ago, Super said:

Did anyone really think this would happen. I dont think fans will be back this season.

I didn’t , I can’t remember the poster but there was one on here who was adamant we would be back to full crowds by now as his missus works at south mead and covid was gone etc. 

I genuinely believe we won’t see crowds at Ashton gate for a good couple of years. 

2 minutes ago, Davefevs said:

Without getting into politics, it’s bonkers.  The logic of one thing being allowed over another is influenced by the wrong factors.  You get BS that education is so important, then you open pubs ahead of it.

The problem is, the country needs money and I also believe that it will get to a point where there will be a happy medium with people dying as long as it isn’t overly infectious and the NHS isn’t about to topple over.

Pubs etc generate a lot of money for the government, people going to see Bath City play let’s be honest wont be a lot. 

Just now, TomF said:

Thank you 

5 minutes ago, S25loyal said:

The problem is, the country needs money and I also believe that it will get to a point where there will be a happy medium with people dying as long as it isn’t overly infectious and the NHS isn’t about to topple over.

Pubs etc generate a lot of money for the government, people going to see Bath City play let’s be honest wont be a lot. 

Thank you 

They already made it clear from day one, that it’s economy and NHS over people’s lives, but then tried to hide it with “we are following the science”.  But I’m gonna step away from this debate now, as I’ll end up going off on one. ?

• Like 3
  • Haha 1

Just now, Alex_BCFC said:

Looking forward to doing zoom quizzes for next 50 years. 

I had to stop doing them....when you’ve heard the same question several times over, and then can’t remember the right answer it’s time to stop.

Every bugger in the country knows the names of Harry Potter’s parents!!!

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

5 minutes ago, Davefevs said:

They already made it clear from day one, that it’s economy and NHS over people’s lives, but then tried to hide it with “we are following the science”.  But I’m gonna step away from this debate now, as I’ll end up going off on one. ?

I think I would agree with you on it all!

• Like 1

Can't say I'm surprised.

Disappointed definitely. Surprised, no.

Mentions a decent point in BBC analysis, optics of opening up sports venues as set against encouraging people to work from home didn't stack up.

Was debating it with a mate last night and before any such announcement was made, had a feeling this might happen.

30 minutes ago, Chappers said:

Different industries both have different effects on the economy,

Bath going to the wall isn't going to have the same effect as witherspoon going to the wall, spoons and the hospitality industry as a whole is more vital the the economy then the football industry 

Also another thing to look at is the sporting governing bodies in football, saying to the government they need emergency funding then the clubs under said sporting bodies go out and spend 100 million plus on players,

The prem need to bail out the rest of the football prymid here

• Like 2

1 hour ago, Silvio Dante said:

To be fair, the one thing amongst his word salad that Gove said was sensible was that it wasn’t about necessarily the watching of the game, it was the crowds in the concourses and tubes/buses etc at pinch points like half time etc.

Its also worth saying that some teams have turned down the pilot events because they would lose money if less  than x fans came in.

If I take the blue few, the Memorial isn’t really set up to allow a good flow for exit/entrance without pinch points so even on a small attendance, there is some logic. Even at Yate Town the other night, total social distance inside but at exit it was a bit of a slow crowd shuffle.

Its a problem that has to be solved, or the consequences in the lower leagues will be dire, but there is at least a modicum of logic

I can understand some of the logic, it just seems a blanket decision affecting clubs with attendances varying from 200 to 50k+. Gove wittered about Premiership, ignoring the fact that 5 of the 7 levels are totally different. A competent and focussed Government would approach sport with a far more positive approach, engaging and trying to support Clubs with policy appropriate for each individual level.