IGNORED

The Coronavirus and its impact on sport/Fans Return (Merged)

Loderingo

If fans are not allowed to return to the gate this season how long do you realistically think Steve Lansdown would be prepared to bankroll the club? there must surely be a time where he would consider it pointless going on. I imagine there are a lot of worried supporters of a clubs out there who don't have a billionaire chairman, I must admit to being a little worried about the future of not only our club but the game in general.  

14 hours ago, Kid in the Riot said:

Ground no. 140 visited for me last night watching Thornbury Town v Newent in an entertaining 3-3 draw. £5 entry and £2.50 for a bottle of beer which you could drink pitchside. 

Like many other non-league clubs, Thornbury have experienced a slight rise in crowds and haven't gone below 125 so far this season, which is very good considering the level (step 10).

Manor Farm v Cray Wanderers hopefully next Tuesday in an FA Cup game which should attract 300-400 spectators.

I do wonder why those complaining about not being able to attend live sport and spend their time signing petitions don't just find out where their nearest non-league club is and go and support them for a season.

The petition could have 5 million signatures, the government still aren't going to open stadiums this season.

Go and support grassroots football. 

Capacity is 400 for Manor Farms game.

Think a number of non-league sides will end up getting a bit of a boost from all this. 

A couple of weeks ago Hallen had an attendance over 200, the population of Hallen is less than 200.

And it would be great for them if even 10% of the current extra fans stick around when league football has fans again, even if they just go when their league side is away.

Visit your nearest non league ground. I have recently just watched 4 FA Cup qualifying games, following the winner of each tie. Next week I will be following Walton Casuals (tony gayle chairman) who are away at Sholin FC who play in Southampton. It has been a revelation friendly fans no nonsense and local bars and a good standard of football.

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1

17 hours ago, Mark barton said:

Visit your nearest non league ground. I have recently just watched 4 FA Cup qualifying games, following the winner of each tie. Next week I will be following Walton Casuals (tony gayle chairman) who are away at Sholin FC who play in Southampton. It has been a revelation friendly fans no nonsense and local bars and a good standard of football.

You'll be a Liverpool fan by the time the competition is finished :)

• Thanks 1
  • Haha 3

On 06/10/2020 at 20:46, Redwhitepurple said:

Wanna coward away dont go but you habe no right to bubble wrap the entire country. Wanna stay in then stay in. Flu still kills more. Covid isn't even close to being deadly. Stats dont lie, its embarrassing and now we have a huge tax bill to pay. Great.

Well you will be safe, so far off your head Covid would give you a swerve.. stupid David Ike rantings have no bearing on facts, what a pilock.

On 08/10/2020 at 01:16, pillred said:

If fans are not allowed to return to the gate this season how long do you realistically think Steve Lansdown would be prepared to bankroll the club? there must surely be a time where he would consider it pointless going on. I imagine there are a lot of worried supporters of a clubs out there who don't have a billionaire chairman, I must admit to being a little worried about the future of not only our club but the game in general.  

It can go on too much longer else millions will be homeless, jobless and mental health will be shocking etc not to mention all the cancers that are not being treated-  plus loads of other negative effects not even listed. Has to be a point where we get back on with life (now if you ask me) but hopefully SL will bankroll us until that point.

• Like 4

On 06/10/2020 at 20:46, Redwhitepurple said:

Wanna coward away dont go but you habe no right to bubble wrap the entire country. Wanna stay in then stay in. Flu still kills more. Covid isn't even close to being deadly. Stats dont lie, its embarrassing and now we have a huge tax bill to pay. Great.

This has to be a parody, surely?

One bit of news, surprised it's not been mentioned yet.

It'll probably come to nothing, but last week it was confirmed that there would be a debate in Parliament, as petition hit the required target, the debate subject matter being on the Return of Fans to Stadia.

Monday November 9th.

EDIT: I think was mentioned on the petition thread. Unsure it'll come to much anyway.

Edited by Mr Popodopolous

• Admin

Manchester United have modified Old Trafford to accommodate 23,500 socially distanced spectators, and say they are "bemused" by the ongoing ban on fans at stadiums.

The government had proposed crowds be gradually reintroduced from the start of October but made a U-turn following a rise in coronavirus cases.

"We received government guidelines," said Collette Roche, United's chief operating officer. "I'm convinced that we would be able to [accommodate fans] safely."

Last month, Prime Minister Boris Johnson said the new restrictions were likely to remain in place for the next six months.

The financial impact of the pandemic has severely affected several sports and teams, including United who suffered a £70m drop in expected revenue in the period to 30 June 2020 as a direct result of it.

Roche told Sky Sports News: "It's quite bemusing to understand why people can gather in other settings such as on an aeroplane or in a restaurant, or even in a cinema to watch football, when we know we've got the plans and the process is ready to deliver a match day here safely.

"We spent around two months working with the government guidelines to develop the right processes and measures to make sure that we can have around 23,500 people in this stadium safely social distancing."

She added that United had plans to introduce staggered arrival times for fans and temperature checks before entry to minimise risks.

Earlier in October, Premier League chief executive Richard Masters said clubs had been punished by a "quadruple whammy" over the continuing ban.

He told the Times: "Firstly that the optimism of 1 October has been taken away; secondly that there will be a sports bailout but that it wouldn't include football; thirdly that the Premier League will be expected to secure the future of the EFL while dealing with the implications of having no fans until possibly March; finally the opening up of entertainment arenas within sometimes a couple of miles of football grounds without any road map for the return of football supporters."

TAKEN FROM: https://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/football/54716149

Chatting to a mate online earlier, who wrote to his MP:

about the whole not letting football fans in to stadiums but can sit in a restaurant and watch a game. I suggested it was surely safer outside than inside.
He responded with the following quote via his PA "This seems sensible, but it is up to local organisations in conjunction with the local authorities and the police to apply the guidelines. The government cannot possibly determine every local event and how rules are applied."

I thought it was Government policy dictating the approach?

He has sent on to Mark Kelly.

What an Effin’ joke.

• Admin
1 hour ago, Davefevs said:

Chatting to a mate online earlier, who wrote to his MP:

about the whole not letting football fans in to stadiums but can sit in a restaurant and watch a game. I suggested it was surely safer outside than inside.
He responded with the following quote via his PA "This seems sensible, but it is up to local organisations in conjunction with the local authorities and the police to apply the guidelines. The government cannot possibly determine every local event and how rules are applied."

I thought it was Government policy dictating the approach?

He has sent on to Mark Kelly.

What an Effin’ joke.

I would err on the side of caution at this reply at present

This hasn't been mentioned anywhere previously, which if was the case would surely have been mentioned somewhere?

5 minutes ago, phantom said:

I would err on the side of caution at this reply at present

This hasn't been mentioned anywhere previously, which if was the case would surely have been mentioned somewhere?

Oh, I know, just shows that the ****t of an MP who replied is effin’ clueless.  I’m hoping he gets called out as the knob he is.  

On 13/10/2020 at 17:54, Alex_BCFC said:

It can go on too much longer else millions will be homeless, jobless and mental health will be shocking etc not to mention all the cancers that are not being treated-  plus loads of other negative effects not even listed. Has to be a point where we get back on with life (now if you ask me) but hopefully SL will bankroll us until that point.

It’s been revealed that they are expecting 88000 ! deaths over the winter and we are actually higher than that projected increase estimate atm

France are saying the second wave is worse than their first 

Accepting business and so so many aspects of life desperately need to get going ,

but I personally don’t  think that now is a point to ‘get back on with life’

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, Sheltons Army said:

It’s been revealed that they are expecting 88000 ! deaths over the winter and we are actually higher than that projected increase estimate atm

France are saying the second wave is worse than their first 

Accepting business and so so many aspects of life desperately need to get going ,

but I personally don’t  think that now is a point to ‘get back on with life’

Just a simple example, my Van has a service due Tuesday....cancelled because VW have a covid outbreak and are having to close for 2 weeks whilst staff self-isolate.  It’s only gonna get worse under the pathetic measures.  It’s gonna impact businesses for yonks.

They need to find a way to break the increase and change its direction.

3 minutes ago, Bassomylord said:

A press conference on Monday to confirm a national lockdown until December the 1st.....all things to shut bar educational settings and essential shops.

With this is mind, I'm assuming there will be no football matches until December the 1st from Wednesday!

Source?

2 minutes ago, Davefevs said:

Just a simple example, my Van has a service due Tuesday....cancelled because VW have a covid outbreak and are having to close for 2 weeks whilst staff self-isolate.  It’s only gonna get worse under the pathetic measures.  It’s gonna impact businesses for yonks.

They need to find a way to break the increase and change its direction.

I’ve stayed away from the politics of the COVID discussions Dave but in essence just about every country has found that lockdowns are the only answer to stemming or slowing the increases 

Im no scientist , but what then concerns me , is that as soon as any lockdown is eased the spread increases again - (Not helped by an element of complete ********* that can’t behave)   it appears to be very difficult for countries or regions to escape their dose of pain.

A horrendously difficult situation,  and the thousands of difficult decisions , for any government and their advisors 

• Like 2

You say all things close but in reality what is open to the public football wise? If people are still going to work and football staff are all still being tested (L1 & L2 now FA funded right?) then surely its just a case they're still going to work? And in a place where testing is much better than anywhere else, could just be instant postponement of games of teams with a player with a positive test rather than just isolation for the player, until negative tests are returned for the squad.

National league and below could be a different story though.

• Like 1