Welcome to One Team in Bristol - Bristol City Forums

Welcome to One Team in Bristol - Bristol City Forums, like most online communities you must register to view or post in our community, but don't worry this is a simple free process that requires minimal information for you to signup. Be a part of One Team in Bristol - Bristol City Forums by signing in or creating an account.

• Start new topics and reply to others
  • Full access to all forums (not all viewable as guest)
  • Subscribe to topics and forums to get email updates
  • Get your own profile page and make new friends
  • Send personal messages to other members.
  • Support OTIB with a premium membership

Attendance from October/Fans Return (Merged)

5 minutes ago, Chappers said:

I thought that for the first time, this Government might actually be sensible, and realise that restricted attendances at League One and below will be perfectly safe and manageable, and keep the clubs afloat. Championship may be a bit more difficult, but should be achievable, albeit with a low percentage.

I just find it odd that I can’t watch Bath City safely in a socially distanced manner, in a crowd of <1,000, but could drink from 7am to 10pm in a Wetherspoons.

To be fair, the one thing amongst his word salad that Gove said was sensible was that it wasn’t about necessarily the watching of the game, it was the crowds in the concourses and tubes/buses etc at pinch points like half time etc.

Its also worth saying that some teams have turned down the pilot events because they would lose money if less  than x fans came in.

If I take the blue few, the Memorial isn’t really set up to allow a good flow for exit/entrance without pinch points so even on a small attendance, there is some logic. Even at Yate Town the other night, total social distance inside but at exit it was a bit of a slow crowd shuffle.

Its a problem that has to be solved, or the consequences in the lower leagues will be dire, but there is at least a modicum of logic

10 minutes ago, Chappers said:

I thought that for the first time, this Government might actually be sensible, and realise that restricted attendances at League One and below will be perfectly safe and manageable, and keep the clubs afloat. Championship may be a bit more difficult, but should be achievable, albeit with a low percentage.

I just find it odd that I can’t watch Bath City safely in a socially distanced manner, in a crowd of <1,000, but could drink from 7am to 10pm in a Wetherspoons.

Without getting into politics, it’s bonkers.  The logic of one thing being allowed over another is influenced by the wrong factors.  You get BS that education is so important, then you open pubs ahead of it.

30 minutes ago, Super said:

Did anyone really think this would happen. I dont think fans will be back this season.

I didn’t , I can’t remember the poster but there was one on here who was adamant we would be back to full crowds by now as his missus works at south mead and covid was gone etc. 

I genuinely believe we won’t see crowds at Ashton gate for a good couple of years. 

2 minutes ago, Davefevs said:

Without getting into politics, it’s bonkers.  The logic of one thing being allowed over another is influenced by the wrong factors.  You get BS that education is so important, then you open pubs ahead of it.

The problem is, the country needs money and I also believe that it will get to a point where there will be a happy medium with people dying as long as it isn’t overly infectious and the NHS isn’t about to topple over.

Pubs etc generate a lot of money for the government, people going to see Bath City play let’s be honest wont be a lot. 

Just now, TomF said:

Thank you 

5 minutes ago, S25loyal said:

The problem is, the country needs money and I also believe that it will get to a point where there will be a happy medium with people dying as long as it isn’t overly infectious and the NHS isn’t about to topple over.

Pubs etc generate a lot of money for the government, people going to see Bath City play let’s be honest wont be a lot. 

Thank you 

They already made it clear from day one, that it’s economy and NHS over people’s lives, but then tried to hide it with “we are following the science”.  But I’m gonna step away from this debate now, as I’ll end up going off on one. 😀

• Like 3
  • Haha 1
Just now, Alex_BCFC said:

Looking forward to doing zoom quizzes for next 50 years. 

I had to stop doing them....when you’ve heard the same question several times over, and then can’t remember the right answer it’s time to stop.

Every bugger in the country knows the names of Harry Potter’s parents!!!

• Like 1
  • Haha 1
5 minutes ago, Davefevs said:

They already made it clear from day one, that it’s economy and NHS over people’s lives, but then tried to hide it with “we are following the science”.  But I’m gonna step away from this debate now, as I’ll end up going off on one. 😀

I think I would agree with you on it all!

• Like 1

Can't say I'm surprised.

Disappointed definitely. Surprised, no.

Mentions a decent point in BBC analysis, optics of opening up sports venues as set against encouraging people to work from home didn't stack up.

Was debating it with a mate last night and before any such announcement was made, had a feeling this might happen.

30 minutes ago, Chappers said:

Different industries both have different effects on the economy,

Bath going to the wall isn't going to have the same effect as witherspoon going to the wall, spoons and the hospitality industry as a whole is more vital the the economy then the football industry 

Also another thing to look at is the sporting governing bodies in football, saying to the government they need emergency funding then the clubs under said sporting bodies go out and spend 100 million plus on players,

The prem need to bail out the rest of the football prymid here

• Like 2
1 hour ago, Silvio Dante said:

To be fair, the one thing amongst his word salad that Gove said was sensible was that it wasn’t about necessarily the watching of the game, it was the crowds in the concourses and tubes/buses etc at pinch points like half time etc.

Its also worth saying that some teams have turned down the pilot events because they would lose money if less  than x fans came in.

If I take the blue few, the Memorial isn’t really set up to allow a good flow for exit/entrance without pinch points so even on a small attendance, there is some logic. Even at Yate Town the other night, total social distance inside but at exit it was a bit of a slow crowd shuffle.

Its a problem that has to be solved, or the consequences in the lower leagues will be dire, but there is at least a modicum of logic

I can understand some of the logic, it just seems a blanket decision affecting clubs with attendances varying from 200 to 50k+. Gove wittered about Premiership, ignoring the fact that 5 of the 7 levels are totally different. A competent and focussed Government would approach sport with a far more positive approach, engaging and trying to support Clubs with policy appropriate for each individual level.

1 hour ago, S25loyal said:

I didn’t , I can’t remember the poster but there was one on here who was adamant we would be back to full crowds by now as his missus works at south mead and covid was gone etc. 

I genuinely believe we won’t see crowds at Ashton gate for a good couple of years. 

Well if that happens I can't see there being a Bristol City to watch in two years, how long do you think Steve Lansdown will be prepared to bankroll us and the bears?

Meanwhile in Germany...

https://www.dailymail.co.uk/sport/football/article-8754851/German-football-fans-rejoice-return-Bundesliga-stadiums-time-Covid-19.html

Of course, if cases rise there then back behind closed doors most likely but and yes no alcohol, no away fans, no standing (Union Berlin seemed to get some dispensation as most of their ground standing), up to 20% capacity.

Edited by Mr Popodopolous
51 minutes ago, pillred said:

Well if that happens I can't see there being a Bristol City to watch in two years, how long do you think Steve Lansdown will be prepared to bankroll us and the bears?

If this carries on for another 2 years I doubt there would be any other teams left for us to play,even if SL continued to bankroll the club! :shocking:

• Like 1
22 minutes ago, downendcity said:

If this carries on for another 2 years I doubt there would be any other teams left for us to play,even if SL continued to bankroll the club! :shocking:

It is terrible. How many of the L2/L2/NL clubs are going to survive is beyond me. Maybe a solidarity fund from the PL clubs, but i cant see them doing it - they rather spunk 50M on players. If clubs do go to the wall, and the PL keep paying 200 grand a week and spending on transfers i will be disgusted. Football is our national game and must survive. The government wont help, so its either the fans / philanthropic owners or PL step in. 

• Robin 1
5 minutes ago, TonyTonyTony said:

It is terrible. How many of the L2/L2/NL clubs are going to survive is beyond me. Maybe a solidarity fund from the PL clubs, but i cant see them doing it - they rather spunk 50M on players. If clubs do go to the wall, and the PL keep paying 200 grand a week and spending on transfers i will be disgusted. Football is our national game and must survive. The government wont help, so its either the fans / philanthropic owners or PL step in. 

Maybe there should be a solidarity levy on all transfer fees paid by Prem clubs - say 5% - that is redistributed throughout the leagues.

If the money-go-round in the Prem continues unabated that would be an absolute disgrace. 

• Like 1
1 hour ago, Mr Popodopolous said:

Meanwhile in Germany...

https://www.dailymail.co.uk/sport/football/article-8754851/German-football-fans-rejoice-return-Bundesliga-stadiums-time-Covid-19.html

Of course, if cases rise there then back behind closed doors most likely but and yes no alcohol, no away fans, no standing (Union Berlin seemed to get some dispensation as most of their ground standing), up to 20% capacity.

Big difference.

They are run by professionals & respect qualifications (we used to mock Germans for their “Herr Docktor Professor” titles, well no more).

Whereas we are a ******* shambles, fancy a job running track & trace? Any relevant experience? Don’t be silly, I ****** up at TalkTalk but do know a lot about horses & am married to a Tory MP..

There is a link between competence & Covid deaths and we are the equivalent of the gas in the league tables..

Edited by GrahamC
  • Like 5
  • Thanks 2

This is hugely frustrating (and damaging to clubs/sport) but i understand why given the numbers are increasing. I agree it's the right thing to do, however the situation is made harder to accept when there are so many inconsistencies from the governments rules.

Unfortunately though we're in the middle of a pandemic and now in a second wave, so it would be crazy to encourage fans back in - even if in smaller numbers.

Clubs might be able to demonstrate they can sit fans apart in the stands but unfortunately people aren't robots and some just don't get it and are likely to move around to sit closer to each other (I doubt the club will pay marshal's to police it so therefore i don't beleive it can be managed safely). Add in getting to and from the seats where clearly some fans won't (or can't) socially distant and suddenly the ability for this to be done safely reduces even further to the point where actually this could make a situation worse.

Unfortunately there are too many people that have taken the piss since lockdown relaxed and the reality is this has contributed to making it worse for everyone (it's so frustrating for those that have been careful). Yes, I know the Government have made a shambles of this too but bloody hell, most people know what socially distance means and should take responsibility for their actions and not blame others. Unfortunately we live in a society now where people need to be handheld through life and it's always someone else's fault.

• Like 1
25 minutes ago, TonyTonyTony said:

Perhaps we will end up with what PL owners have long wanted -  no relegation- as there won’t  be any other leagues to which clubs can be relegated or from which clubs can be promoted.

It will be like footballs' equivalent of the “closed shop” NFL. 

52 minutes ago, TonyTonyTony said:

Not having a go at you Triple-T, but why does everyone always suggest it’s the PL that should bail out the EFL clubs?

Why not the EFL itself, or the FA, or the PFA?

3 minutes ago, Davefevs said:

Not having a go at you Triple-T, but why does everyone always suggest it’s the PL that should bail out the EFL clubs?

Why not the EFL itself, or the FA, or the PFA?

Because prem clubs are shelling out for bale , thiago, sancho, jota at the same time as the announcement today. 

Unfortunately it's a dog eat dog world so I wont hold my breath

Dark times ahead 

30 minutes ago, GrahamC said:

Big difference.

They are run by professionals & respect qualifications (we used to mock Germans for their “Herr Docktor Professor” titles, well no more).

Whereas we are a ******* shambles, fancy a job running track & trace? Any relevant experience? Don’t be silly, I ****** up at TalkTalk but do know a lot about horses & am married to a Tory MP..

There is a link between competence & Covid deaths and we are the equivalent of the gas in the league tables..

I've no idea what was originally said in this post, but please keep political comments to the politics section

One thing that I will wait to see what happens with, it is the return of supporters from October that has been postponed.

It doesn't specify whether the current test events will cease. 

They are two massively different things

3 hours ago, Davefevs said:

Every bugger in the country knows the names of Harry Potter’s parents!!!

Was Lee Johnson one of them?

13 minutes ago, phantom said:

I've no idea what was originally said in this post, but please keep political comments to the politics section

One thing that I will wait to see what happens with, it is the return of supporters from October that has been postponed.

Bath rugby have stopped their test event tonight and will play behind closed doors.

Edited by Clevedon Red
10 minutes ago, phantom said:

No offence, but it’s like you’re living in an alternative reality. What do you expect will happen to the test events?

Edited by redordead1
  • Like 1
  • Robin 1