IGNORED

Lockdown, away teams and yellow cards.

Southport Red

6 minutes ago, Lrrr said:

Interesting topic, do you know the sample size? Just one league, prem & champ or abroad as well? Would be interesting to look at the difference in different countries.

Study was done in top leagues of England, Spain, Italy and Germany. 34% is from EPL. In Germany home and away got same number of yellows, both down 20% on normal. Article in today’s Times, won’t let me share the link. 

1 minute ago, Southport Red said:

Study was done in top leagues of England, Spain, Italy and Germany. 34% is from EPL. In Germany home and away got same number of yellows, both down 20% on normal. Article in today’s Times, won’t let me share the link. 

I'll see if I can find it, cheers

Matches nicely and dovetails with what Vincent Kompany wrote about in his MBA thesis. He was coming at it from more of a business angle - mainly trying to justify to clubs why they should lower home ticket prices and increase the numbers and fervour of home fans (for us that could mean expanding and embracing S82). However, it's a different part of the same argument as he is looking to increase home advantage by building atmosphere. I have seen this drop in home advantage, as borne out in results post lockdown, be attributed somewhat to the complete absence of atmosphere. A few links and quotes:

https://thoughteconomics.com/vincent-kompany-mcfc/

Q:  How did the Manchester MBA change your perspectives on football?

[Vincent Kompany]: I’ve always been interested in the factors that drive home advantage in football.  If you explore the psychology, you find that your dominant response (the way you perform a skill, for example) will be improved if the environment or atmosphere increases your testosterone levels and response.  We know that testosterone levels in players are higher when playing home games rather than away (with the exception of derbies) so my logic was to find what those environmental factors were that could keep testosterone levels as high as possible, in a natural way, at the start of the game- giving the team an advantage.

https://www.bbc.com/news/business-42574469

"Kompany's research - based on speaking to 25 fellow elite footballers - concluded there was "a real financial value and benefit in fostering home advantage".

"The study concluded that you get better home advantage depending on the atmosphere that you can create within your facilities, and that is linked to the people who enter your stadiums.

"Those that live for the club, and are probably more attached to the club than anybody else. But those are probably not always the guys who can afford it," he added."

8 minutes ago, Southport Red said:

Are you able to screenshot or copy/paste?

I definitely noticed the difference in “big tackles” and the reactions of players when there’s no crowd. You’re used to expecting a big roar and an incensed crowd of a cynical foul happens infront of them - thinking for example the head injury at the start of one of our recent games (memory escapes me without looking it up) had it happened infront of a crowd of our fans it may have got more of a reaction from a ref. I think if you’re a ref and see a big reaction you might question if it was worse than you realised

Archived