IGNORED

Jon Stead`s going to Wembley

Lanterne Rouge

On 26/07/2020 at 07:46, Mike Hunt-Hertz said:

I'd love to see BPA back in the league...preferably in a redeveloped Horton Park Avenue ground. I've developed quite an interest in them, after seeing images of their ground (prior to demolition)...cracking place!

Are Marine still going? Makes me think of the results on Grandstand. Also, South Liverpool.

Slightly off topic, and apologies for that.

Was reading up on Wigan Athletic earlier, and when they were elected into the football league in 1977/78 the team they replaced was Southport.

I genuinely cannot even remember Southport being in the league.

10 minutes ago, cider hoss rules said:

Was reading up on Wigan Athletic earlier, and when they were elected into the football league in 1977/78 the team they replaced was Southport.

Yeah they were. 1976/77 was the last time when Wigan replaced them after being elected into the football league.

11 minutes ago, grifty said:

Yeah they were. 1976/77 was the last time when Wigan replaced them after being elected into the football league.

The football league was basically a closed shop back in the day, clubs at the top of the non league would apply to get into division 4 knowing they literally had no chance of getting in.

The likes of Yeovil and Weymouth would apply ( when their league position allowed them to) knowing that the football league teams would rally in support of ‘their own’. 

Club’s  like Hartlepool ( Hartlepool’s as they were once known) would be at the bottom of the fourth division every season, but would never ever get voted out. 

On 26/07/2020 at 07:46, Mike Hunt-Hertz said:

I'd love to see BPA back in the league...preferably in a redeveloped Horton Park Avenue ground. I've developed quite an interest in them, after seeing images of their ground (prior to demolition)...cracking place!

Are Marine still going? Makes me think of the results on Grandstand. Also, South Liverpool.

Then you must have read about Herbert Metcalfe, possibly the most catastrophically bad chairman/owner in the history of football. Been to Park Avenue a few times. All went wrong on the pitch after they sold Kevin Hector....

A complaint was made on another forum that with Fulham or Brentford going up, that's another London team in the Prem. Meanwhile with Stevenage going out and Barrow & Harrogate coming into the League, that's League 2 is becoming North orientated.

Still as in the OP; congratulations Harrogate Town.

For those who remember City's cup game from 1998-99, Harrogate Railway FC are still going, but way down the pyramid.

1 minute ago, 22A said:

A complaint was made on another forum that with Fulham or Brentford going up, that's another London team in the Prem. Meanwhile with Stevenage going out and Barrow & Harrogate coming into the League, that's League 2 is becoming North orientated.

Still as in the OP; congratulations Harrogate Town.

For those who remember City's cup game from 1998-99, Harrogate Railway FC are still going, but way down the pyramid.

Was later than 99 weren't it? 

25 minutes ago, Portland Bill said:

The football league was basically a closed shop back in the day, clubs at the top of the non league would apply to get into division 4 knowing they literally had no chance of getting in.

The likes of Yeovil and Weymouth would apply ( when their league position allowed them to) knowing that the football league teams would rally in support of ‘their own’. 

Club’s  like Hartlepool ( Hartlepool’s as they were once known) would be at the bottom of the fourth division every season, but would never ever get voted out. 

A hopelessly corrupt system. From 1931 to 1970, only two clubs in Division 4 were ever not re-elected: New Brighton in 1951 and Gateshead in 1960.

55 minutes ago, cider hoss rules said:

Does anybody remember Halifax - went out in the 70's? Did Barrow used to be a league club or am I thinking of rugby league?

5 minutes ago, Midred said:

Does anybody remember Halifax - went out in the 70's? Did Barrow used to be a league club or am I thinking of rugby league?

Barrow Town FC have never been in the football league. Halifax Town AFC went out of business in '08, and have reformed as FC Halifax Town, currently in the National League.

1 minute ago, WarksRobin said:

Were they in a league of one? Seems like there would have to be more than one club to form a league.

Well yes, that's a different point. Who the **** did they play?

Ok. "First Football League club to be formed".

That's it. I'm done.

2 minutes ago, BritAbroad said:

Barrow Town FC have never been in the football league

Barrow fc have been as high as the old third division or League 1 as it is now and had over 50 years in the league.

Never heard of Barrow Town TBH.

Archived