IGNORED

Jon Stead`s going to Wembley

Lanterne Rouge

12 minutes ago, Lrrr said:

Pitch being dug up in the next few days, not sure whether they're seeding or laying turf for the season

Seems like it'll have to be grass, I found this in relation to when Sutton were close to promotion. Can't find anywhere where the rules have changed. 

https://www.independent.co.uk/sport/football/football-league/artificial-pitches-english-football-league-sutton-united-maidstone-united-3g-a8233561.html

1 hour ago, cider hoss rules said:

Slightly off topic, and apologies for that.

Was reading up on Wigan Athletic earlier, and when they were elected into the football league in 1977/78 the team they replaced was Southport.

I genuinely cannot even remember Southport being in the league.

Perennial stugglers from my memory; were Southport.

1 hour ago, grifty said:

Yeah they were. 1976/77 was the last time when Wigan replaced them after being elected into the football league.

Wigan indeed were the last to be elected into the FL in 1978 with Wimbledon being voted in the year before replacing Workington. 

Interestingly the re-election system continued for another decade with no further clubs being elected in or out. The first automatically promoted side was Scarborough who replaced Lincoln in 1987.

I am glad Barrow are back.,.. one of the few, only 5 in fact, from when the 4th division was formed in 1958 until the vote system was scrapped in 1986 that failed re-election and lost their status. The others were Bradford Park Avenue, Gateshead, Southport and, per above, Workington. I often look out for those clubs as a result.

3 hours ago, archie andrews said:

Was later than 99 weren't it? 

Correct; I misread an article. " In 2002–03 the club reached the first round of the FA Cup for the first time. After beating Slough Town 2–1 in the first round, they lost 3–1 at home to Bristol City in the second round in front of a record crowd of 3,500."

Intrigued to learn the Harrogate owner - when he took over 11 years ago - installed his son as manager and of course his son is now still manager 11 years on.

I really hope SL was busy this afternoon and not watching as he COULD get ideas......

1 hour ago, Galway Red said:

Barrow and Workington who are from the same neck of the woods both left the league in the '70s, pretty grim in in that part of Cumbria

Funny how on the rare occasions a club wasn`t re-elected it was often one from a far flung outpost like Gateshead, Barrow or Workington. It`s almost as if the likes of Torquay and Southend didn`t fancy going that far.

1 minute ago, CodeRed said:

Intrigued to learn the Harrogate owner - when he took over 11 years ago - installed his son as manager and of course his son is now still manager 11 years on.

I really hope SL was busy this afternoon and not watching as he COULD get ideas......

Other way round, the son was already manager when the father was given control of the club, it was also 2/3 years later as well

2 hours ago, archie andrews said:

Live on sky iirc..... 

It was. Sky was still a relatively `new` thing back then and it was quite a struggle finding someone who had it who would let you watch the game at their house - well it was down here in rural Devon. Eventually I was put in touch with a friend of a friend who, believe it or not, was a Kingstonian fan and had Sky!

Archived