Jump to content

Welcome to One Team in Bristol - Bristol City Forums

Welcome to One Team in Bristol - Bristol City Forums, like most online communities you must register to view or post in our community, but don't worry this is a simple free process that requires minimal information for you to signup. Be a part of One Team in Bristol - Bristol City Forums by signing in or creating an account.

  • Start new topics and reply to others
  • Full access to all forums (not all viewable as guest)
  • Subscribe to topics and forums to get email updates
  • Get your own profile page and make new friends
  • Send personal messages to other members.
  • Support OTIB with a premium membership

IGNORED

Goalkeepers who have scored


Recommended Posts

I know we have our very own Cash v Hull and Jimmy Glass famously scored to keep Carlisle in the league. There was also Jose Luis Chilavert who took the penalties for Paraguay but I came across this interesting story when looking for info about the 1969 Man City cup winning side.

Harry Dowd, the keeper they had after Bert Trautmann and before Joe Corrigan, broke a finger in a game in 1964 v Bury. As this was before subs were permitted an outfield player went in goal and Harry went up front where he promptly scored the equalizing goal! I bet he got bought a few pints round Moss Side after that!

Link to post
Share on other sites
11 minutes ago, wendyredredrobin said:

Pat Jennings was the first I can remember.

I was at the game where Ray Cashley scored in the fog.

Was it foggy? My memory says I was one of the few stood on the open end testing my new waterproof trousers in the heavy rain.

Link to post
Share on other sites
Just now, 22A said:

Was it foggy? My memory says I was one of the few stood on the open end testing my new waterproof trousers in the heavy rain.

My recollection was that Cashley kicked the ball out into the fog and there was a huge cheer from the other end that was not visible from where we were standing, but my memory does play tricks on me these days.

Link to post
Share on other sites
6 minutes ago, wendyredredrobin said:

My recollection was that Cashley kicked the ball out into the fog and there was a huge cheer from the other end that was not visible from where we were standing, but my memory does play tricks on me these days.

Definitely not foggy.  Wet and very windy.

  • Like 3
Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, Lanterne Rouge said:

I know we have our very own Cash v Hull and Jimmy Glass famously scored to keep Carlisle in the league. There was also Jose Luis Chilavert who took the penalties for Paraguay but I came across this interesting story when looking for info about the 1969 Man City cup winning side.

Harry Dowd, the keeper they had after Bert Trautmann and before Joe Corrigan, broke a finger in a game in 1964 v Bury. As this was before subs were permitted an outfield player went in goal and Harry went up front where he promptly scored the equalizing goal! I bet he got bought a few pints round Moss Side after that!

Pat Jennings was the first one I saw, charity shield 67 for Spurs

Link to post
Share on other sites
1 minute ago, CHIPLEY RED said:

Those were the days. Could hardly see past the half way line even with the orange ball.

Good old hoof up the pitch bounced over the other keepers head from memory.

It certainly bounced. Jeff Wealands in the Hull goal, saw Cash had taken a long kick, so advanced, but not far enough. The ball bounced in front of him and went high over his head and into the net. AFAIK, it was a brown ball that night.

Link to post
Share on other sites

Alberto Brignoli scored for Benevento against AC Milan with a great header. 

Hans-Jorg Butt scored 3 goals in the champions league. 

Nahuel Guzman scored in the South American champions league this year to stop his team being eliminated. 

Koo Sang-min holds the record for longest goal ever scored, he scored directly from a goal kick. 

Didn't Mart Poom score against Derby as well. 

Link to post
Share on other sites
13 hours ago, handsofclay said:

Alex Stepney in the Charity Shield, I think?

He conceded a goal in that to Pat Jennings, but I am pretty sure he took a few penalties and scored .

I have always wanted to see a keeper score( god knows why) and one of the reasons I never leave until a  final whistle is the hope that a keeper may come up for a corner and do it. Mildenhall nearly did in that Mansfield game for us, other than that the closest I have seen was Jim Eadie hitting the bar against Oxford with a kick from the hands.

  • Like 1
Link to post
Share on other sites
Just now, Miah Dennehy said:

He conceded a goal in that to Pat Jennings, but I am pretty sure he took a few penalties and scored .

I have always wanted to see a keeper score( god knows why) and one of the reasons I never leave until a  final whistle is the hope that a keeper may come up for a corner and do it. Mildenhall nearly did in that Mansfield game for us, other than that the closest I have seen was Jim Eadie hitting the bar against Oxford with a kick from the hands.

Edit: My son was a keeper, and I did see him once score a penalty for AEK Boco in a tournament- not quite sure that counts though :)

Link to post
Share on other sites

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.
Note: Your post will require moderator approval before it will be visible.

Guest
Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

  Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.

  • Recently Browsing   0 members

    No registered users viewing this page.

×
×
  • Create New...