IGNORED

Robins tv 20/21 season

Littlesh*t

1 hour ago, sglosbcfc said:

I really don't understand comparisons with Sky, BT, NetFlix etc. This is a service that allows you to watch Bristol City Home and Away from the comfort of your own home for a tenner a match. Just for comparison, a tenner is two pints of lager OR Fish and Chips, curry Source and a can of coke OR enough petrol to get you a couple of hours up the motorway. What do people expect? The match to take place in your garden? Lisa Knights to serve you half time beers topless? Carragher and Neville to pop into the studio for some cutting edge analysis? Brian Moore to be dug up to provide commentary?

Surely City supporters are pleased to get the opportunity to watch matches in these unprecedented times.

1 hour ago, RedRoss said:

Madness people are comparing Sky value and production with 13 million customers to Robins TV that runs in the thousands and expect on par results.

That with the fact you can't even watch your own club on Sky!

Also other people saying it's not the same as watching in person or with crowds on TV I have no words. I'm sure people like you just like to moan at the club.

They've done great in a small timeframe in my opinion especially with all the naysayers on here saying Robins TV was going to fail before it was up and running for ST holders.

If £10 isn't worth watching your team with no other choice then stick to Radio Bristol.

Nobody is expecting content akin to that of Sky Sports, just the coverage to offer some actual insightful content and not something that wouldn’t be out of place on CBeebies.

When there are 6-7 games a month, £10 a game adds up as well. £460 over a year can be a fair amount to some households, who pay it out of their love to city. 

As an overseas supporter who has used RobinsTV to watch City for two years I can say that it has come a long way in a short space of time. What they provided during those last 9 games was pretty good considering the time frame they had to put it together, but it needs to improve next season. I'd like more pre-prepared filmed pieces, similar to the sort of stuff you get on the BBC's Football Focus show. Interviews, short docs on fans and the history of the club, that kind of thing. 

On the price. Some may not know but for the past two seasons it's been £110 for the whole season (or £12.50 per month IIRC). Works out at roughly £3.40 per game. I say roughly because you don't get a guaranteed number of games due to Sky and international broadcast matches being taken off RobinsTV.

Personally I'd probably pay up to £200 for the season. However at that kind of price I expect to be treated more as a "virtual" ST holder, and get a few perks similar to ST holders.

Regarding the cost of £10pg that's more than reasonable because of other factors. 

If 7,000 buy it that's £70,000. Would paying £5 double it to 14,000 buying? Highly doubt it. 

Unlike Sky, Netflix etc we are paying players wages as well and have a small fan base. We need as much money as we can get at the moment. It's common business sense really. 

1 hour ago, marcofisher said:

You will have people out of work or recently graduated Media students who would snap your arm off for a 6 month internship for BCFC in the current climate, for a low price or even for free.

Pretty sure government are coming down hard on stuff like this, its why internships at clubs are now year placements from university courses as they can be passed of as part of a degree. Can't just get anyone to come in for no pay, they'd need to be paid a proper wage to come in or be on a casual contract which would mean few hours.

5 minutes ago, Lrrr said:

Pretty sure government are coming down hard on stuff like this, its why internships at clubs are now year placements from university courses as they can be passed of as part of a degree. Can't just get anyone to come in for no pay, they'd need to be paid a proper wage to come in or be on a casual contract which would mean few hours.

What would be wrong with students on year placements? 

I see plenty of unpaid internships still being bandied around!

I thought overall that Robins TV was ok. As others have said Lisa Knights is perfectly good as a presenter and the players interviewed as pundits did all that could be reasonably expected.

My only criticism is of the commentary. I could just about put up with the lead commentator if he had someone knowledgeable alongside him summarising. An ex player, or even a current player, would add some insight and tell us as viewers tactical information, what the manager might be thinking etc and actually tell us something we don’t know. That’s the whole point of a co-commentator.

The guy they’ve actually got doing it appears to just have been plucked off the terraces to do a bit of commentary. He’s awful and adds no insight or value whatsoever. Most people on this forum could do a better job. 

1 minute ago, marcofisher said:

There's nothing wrong with students on year placements thats why I said it but was pointing out where you said recently graduated or out of work people therefore not on year placements at uni.

1 minute ago, Jacki said:

My only criticism is of the commentary. I could just about put up with the lead commentator if he had someone knowledgeable alongside him summarising. An ex player, or even a current player, would add some insight and tell us as viewers tactical information, what the manager might be thinking etc and actually tell us something we don’t know. That’s the whole point of a co-commentator.

Toby (the lead commentator) is decent. He's a real fan of the team and in his day job works in sports media and has a Youtube channel or something where he interviews sports personalities. 

What you describe is exactly what used to happen on RobinsTV pre-lockdown. We had many of the current squad co-commentating if they were injured. Kalas, Smith, Morrell, Moore, Nagy, Watkins, all of those guys have been on, as well as a number of the older academy players. It works really well. Toby becomes more of a half commentator half interviewer and the player adds insight and, crucially, is less scared of criticising the team and club.

I hope they return to that format.

59 minutes ago, Mr Popodopolous said:

I've been pondering getting it back end of this season just gone but in the end largely stuck with Radio Bristol as I often do for away games.

I suppose a question is, what's the time lag like? Robbored mentions 35 seconds for a goal being scored and it appearing on Robins TV.

My plan was to get it and stick it on mute with Radio Bristol commentary,but is there a particular lag between the two? Quite like Owers tactical analysis certainly.

I’m sure several people have synced radio and Robinstv (muted) since the restart?

19 minutes ago, Lrrr said:

That would be fine

12 minutes ago, marcofisher said:

Or old gits out of work looking for some pocket money ?

1 hour ago, Selred said:

Regarding the cost of £10pg that's more than reasonable because of other factors. 

If 7,000 buy it that's £70,000. Would paying £5 double it to 14,000 buying? Highly doubt it. 

Unlike Sky, Netflix etc we are paying players wages as well and have a small fan base. We need as much money as we can get at the moment. It's common business sense really. 

I get that's just example numbers but take away the season ticket option and make it a case of people just purchasing it and then I could easily see it making a difference. At £10 a game I would have thought they would be lucky to get 1000-1500 sales. At £5 I could easily see this doubled or tripled. 

Overall, I quite enjoyed it using this past season. As an overseas supporter, enabled me to watch the club and really imo the price is fantastic.  Sure, maybe add a couple more things to make it a bit more in-depth, but overall no worries for me, will be using it again.

1 hour ago, Davefevs said:

I’m sure several people have synced radio and Robinstv (muted) since the restart?

That would be fine

Or old gits out of work looking for some pocket money ?

Yep. It’s very easy. Open two tabs, audio and video. With a bit of quick pausing/playing it’s sorted. 

19 minutes ago, Yank said:

Overall, I quite enjoyed it using this past season. As an overseas supporter, enabled me to watch the club and really imo the price is fantastic.  Sure, maybe add a couple more things to make it a bit more in-depth, but overall no worries for me, will be using it again.

And hopefully for you Yank - with some improved performances ?

3 hours ago, Littlesh*t said:

I get that's just example numbers but take away the season ticket option and make it a case of people just purchasing it and then I could easily see it making a difference. At £10 a game I would have thought they would be lucky to get 1000-1500 sales. At £5 I could easily see this doubled or tripled. 

But you can't take away season ticket holders. These are the majority income. £10 a game also includes season ticket holders otherwise they'd ask for a refund.

No way do we have 3,000 casual "households" who'd pay for every game. 

1 minute ago, Selred said:

But you can't take away season ticket holders. These are the majority income. £10 a game also includes season ticket holders otherwise they'd ask for a refund.

No way do we have 3,000 casual "households" who'd pay for every game. 

Sorry maybe I wasn't  clear. My figures were based on all st holders having refunds for full season not like the remainder of this on. It's all ifs and buts but I was basing it on our entire fan base not just non season ticket holders.

8 hours ago, Robbored said:

What happened was......I have alerts on my phone, IPad and watch, plus I have SPN on mute on tv.........:cool2:...so it’s pretty difficult to avoid knowing a goal has been scored particularly when they show it on SPN.......

The solution is quite simple...

7 hours ago, maxjak said:

The new season starts on September 12th in 7 weeks time.  I have been looking online, but without success, does anyone know when the new season fixture list is released, please?

The league's haven't finished yet, so it'll be at least a couple of weeks I expect

11 minutes ago, Lanterne Rouge said:

Are fans allowed back yet? Great news if they are.

I think the Western league and county leagues will be ok, social distancing and all that. The higher you go in non league I’m not sure, simply because potentially you could have thousands turning up if it’s the only live football. 

Just now, Portland Bill said:

I think the Western league and county leagues will be ok, social distancing and all that. The higher you go in non league I’m not sure, simply because potentially you could have thousands turning up if it’s the only live football. 

True. We have quite a few fans who go and watch Manor Farm as it is so another 500 at a loose end turning up would inevitably cause problems I guess.

3 hours ago, Yank said:

Did you prefer pre or post covid coverage? For me pre-covid was better. I enjoyed the stripped back no frills coverage. Just bam, here's your football and that's it.

I’m pretty sure the £10 price point was an EFL wise agreement with sky as it’s the same as a one day pass on now tv for the sky games. The only really poor bit of robins tv is downsey but as the club has been ramming him down the throats of anyone arriving in their seat at the ground before kick off for a few years now it’s unlikely they will end our suffering now because it’s on tv. Hopefully with a bit more preparation time before the season starts a bit more quality recorded pieces can be included but overall it could be a lot worse. 

8 minutes ago, ExiledAjax said:

Did you prefer pre or post covid coverage? For me pre-covid was better. I enjoyed the stripped back no frills coverage. Just bam, here's your football and that's it.

Same here, pre-Covid....Toby with a pro next to him, having two commentators (Post-Covid) doesn’t work imho.

It needs to be made more into a pre-match “programme” than a filler hour.

I appreciate it was put together quickly....but now is the time to learn and improve it.

Archived