IGNORED

Elliason off to Turkey?

RedRoss

8 minutes ago, Harry said:

If we can get a good fee for him this summer then he’ll definitely be sold. It’s just whether the post-covid finances will mean any club offers us what we value him at. 

It’s our model. Buy young, sell at profit.  I think we signed him for £1.5m. Sell 3 years on for 2 or 3 times, making good profit to compete and stay in FFP. 

Whilst he’s a good player in specific situations, his all round game is quite weak. 
If we can triple our money (ie £4.5m) we’ll be doing very well. 

Turkish football was in financial crisis before the pandemic hit so I can't see us getting big bucks.

1 hour ago, RoystonFoote'snephew said:

FFS let it go. Why is it that some want to turn every post in to having a veiled snipe at LJ or MA or both. His time has not been wasted, indeed his stock has risen considerably in the last 2 years which is why he's attracting interest from the likes of Fenerbache and Lazio. LJ has gone and the club is moving on. Why can't some people on here do the same. 

I agree with super on this on,

He may of wanted to stay or move to an even bigger club if he was given a fair cracking of the whip

23 minutes ago, Harry said:

If we can get a good fee for him this summer then he’ll definitely be sold. It’s just whether the post-covid finances will mean any club offers us what we value him at. 

It’s our model. Buy young, sell at profit.  I think we signed him for £1.5m. Sell 3 years on for 2 or 3 times, making good profit to compete and stay in FFP. 

Whilst he’s a good player in specific situations, his all round game is quite weak. 
If we can triple our money (ie £4.5m) we’ll be doing very well. 

100%, plus whatever your view of LJ, it is difficult to find a formation that can easily accommodate him.

A decent fee can certainly help strengthen those areas we are weak in or be used to reduce the wage bill by getting some of those we cannot otherwise shift.

All good, we have jonny smith coming through who has better all round ability. Yes, untested at this stage for championship and yes, not putting eliasson down but smith has the ability to run at defenders with both feet, scores goals, assists, is quick to boot.

he would also be a very cost effective replacement that could prove to be a gem. Needs a chance at his age too or should be sold on but would like to see him get a chance like many other youngsters at our club

5 minutes ago, BOSRed said:

All good, we have jonny smith coming through who has better all round ability. Yes, untested at this stage for championship and yes, not putting eliasson down but smith has the ability to run at defenders with both feet, scores goals, assists, is quick to boot.

he would also be a very cost effective replacement that could prove to be a gem. Needs a chance at his age too or should be sold on but would like to see him get a chance like many other youngsters at our club

I would so much like to see Jonny get a chance for us. He looks such an exciting player from the stuff @Garycpos posts on the loan thread. I know it`s a league or two below but he looks like he`s `got it` to me - some of his runs and goals remind me of Scott Murray at his best.

In this post-Covid world he is exactly the sort of player we should be looking to use - he`s ours and if he comes good could save/make us millions.

4 minutes ago, Simon bristol said:

Have you forgotten odowda and watkins?

O'Dowda has done precisely nothing this season, Watkins must wonder what the pitch at AG looks and feels like.  Eliasson better than both of them.  Move them both on and keep NE.

I wouldn’t be too upset if we sold him for a decent fee. As good as he can be with the ball at his feet, his off-ball defending makes me cringe. He gets screened far too easily and is pretty naive at times. 

1 hour ago, Chappers said:

He just hasn’t performed consistently and vanished from games for long periods. Can’t blame Lee for him not performing as Well as people think he should.

He’s vanished from the first team long periods . The guy is an immense talent and with decent coaching could be a world class player .

Give us a world class coach Mr Lansdown please . 

3 hours ago, Wade Wilson said:

Our best game of the season was the 5-2 win over Huddersfield when we used  4-4-2, with Eliasson both scoring and assisting. 

The away win at Fulham was also 4-4-2 with an Eliasson assist. . . 

It’s interesting how each of us perceives systems / formations.

For me the Huddersfield game was a “lopsided” 4231...or even lopsided 4411....but it doesn’t really matter, it’s how those players played.

Brownhill played narrow RM

Nagy and Massengo as the 2 CMs

Eliasson definitely LW though.

Weimann played behind Diedhiou.

Without the ball, Weimann dropped in (buzzed around to help the press)

Brownhill played narrow so he was always on hand (with his energy) to make a 3 with Nagy and Massengo....whilst it allowed Hunt to bomb on his outside.

Fulham, same side and shape to an extent, but different tactics, allow Fulham defenders to have the ball, then pressing as soon as the likes of Cairney got the ball near halfway.  Weimann only pressed CBs if they had poor possession.  Fam was immense.

Apart from the 5212 semi-forced upon LJ after Dasilva’s injury, that worked well until he started tweaking it back to a back 4, this was the only time this season I felt LJ might stick with a system.

How wrong I was!

Having run some miles v Fulham he played the same eleven v Millwall, we were knackered and their physical press did us.  In that game, he tweaked system regularly.  Brownhill moved to no10 (Weimann’s position), Weimann RW, then he swapped Weimann and Eliasson over, who just stood and allowed himself to be marked by M.Wallace.  Brownhill then decides he fancies being the second striker and we now have two in CM, because neither Brownhill or Weimann are doing the roles they had in the previous two games.

LJ bottled changing a winning (but fatigued) team.  No courage in his decisions.

But what made it worse was, accept the defeat, realise the error in you starting eleven’s levels of fitness, and learn from it.

Instead, LJ banished the system to the bin.

It’s things like this that demonstrated LJ isn’t quite as good as he thinks he is.I

5 hours ago, Super said:

Shame. His time here has been wasted due to the management.

That’s bollocks. Gone from a fringe promising player to one of the top assist makers in the division. If we turn a profit on him, which we will - it’s hardly wasted time is it?

3 hours ago, keflav said:

All just speculation until we have a manager in place talk of players leaving and being out of contract is just nonsense.. once new man in place this (and if the club offers) might make certain player more likely to sign a new contract... we need the new man in asap to stop this...

I have a different take on this. I think planning for the end of the season has already taken place. LJ and MA have done the work. Earmarking who stays and who goes. Identified transfer targets and pieces that need tying up. 

NA needs more to his game. He would be great in a team that is top of the league and flying. But digging in and grinding out a result fighting for your life is not his game. 

I would like him to stay, but the right money comes in I wouldn't stand in his way. 

12 minutes ago, TonyTonyTony said:

That’s bollocks. Gone from a fringe promising player to one of the top assist makers in the division. If we turn a profit on him, which we will - it’s hardly wasted time is it?

For him. You cant tell me starting one week bench next then out of the squad altogether has helped him?

3 minutes ago, Super said:

For him. You cant tell me starting one week bench next then out of the squad altogether has helped him?

To be fair its not 'the best for him' and then 'a waste of time' its been largely beneficial as his profile has increased largely with us to the point Lazio were rumoured to be looking at him

Niclas is a hell of a player, many assists and some goals to. If he can get central and shoot more sometimes he would be even better. Our team is mediokre and the way Niclas play is hard to fit in If you dont have a manager who can see his skills. He is a winger and seldom wingers play well every game. The other players knows that the ball is coming in to the box when Niclas is playing. Its football, keep it simple. Hope he stay and that the new gaffer can make our team play good football and getting results.

1 hour ago, Major Isewater said:

He’s vanished from the first team long periods . The guy is an immense talent and with decent coaching could be a world class player .

Give us a world class coach Mr Lansdown please . 

One who has a track record of developing players and selling them to the Premiership for a large profit? Like Lee Johnson....

6 hours ago, Super said:

Might be attracting bigger clubs had he been used better instead of the play/bench/out the squad routine.

Lazio are a big/fairly major club by any measure tbh.

Fenerbahce have a strong fanbase, can be quite ambitious in the market and have had useful European runs- one of the biggest clubs in 7th say 7th Best League in Europe.

4 hours ago, BanburyRed said:

O'Dowda has done precisely nothing this season, Watkins must wonder what the pitch at AG looks and feels like.  Eliasson better than both of them.  Move them both on and keep NE.

Easier said than done to find bidders!

Watkins was rather good at Barnsley- albeit this was back in 2016-17 but at this level.

That aside, even pre pandemic moving them on had potential to be tricky- now??

@Wade Wilson @BritAbroad

Only real way I could see both Eliasson fitting and our game accommodating would be 4-2-3-1 or 4-3-3...perhaps a 4-2-3-1 with the right player ie Brownhill when we had him, potentially Walsh or someone like Johansen of Fulham to shuttle between supporting the attack and dropping into a 3.

4-4-2 leaves us exposed in the middle or would be likely to, 4-1-4-1 again with the right central pair in front of the '1' could be a goer but I have doubt we'd pick or have the right players in central positions!

3-4-3, with sort of wideish forwards- think like Wolves of 2017-18- we'll likely never know but Eliasson wide left, Weimann wide right- NOT as wingers but wide forwards- and say Wells central.

1 hour ago, Garland-sweden said:

Niclas is a hell of a player, many assists and some goals to. If he can get central and shoot more sometimes he would be even better. Our team is mediokre and the way Niclas play is hard to fit in If you dont have a manager who can see his skills. He is a winger and seldom wingers play well every game. The other players knows that the ball is coming in to the box when Niclas is playing. Its football, keep it simple. Hope he stay and that the new gaffer can make our team play good football and getting results.

Another player whose performances I’ve been critical of, but like Fam, I don’t lay all the blame at the players feet....in this case his left foot!

He undoubtedly is a talented ball player, sweet left foot, quick feet, pacy from a standing start.  He crosses a lovely ball, but when on the right he hits the first man too often.  He stands a better ball up from the left side....think last week v Swansea for the pen (Fam would’ve scored easily imho), Palmer’s header v Boro, Fam again v Shrews.

But his work off the ball, both to receive and defensively are immature.

This affects his ability to be more involved even when City aren’t playing well, and like you I think he could be a real threat in between the lines of the penalty area.

For some of this the blame could / does lie at LJ’s door, because he hasn’t progressed this side of his game over the last 2 seasons....I still see the same issues.

He is definitely good enough for the new manager to think, let me get hold of him, I’ll turn him into the complete “winger” / wide player / inside forward.

He might think he’s his most saleable asset though. ?

Archived