IGNORED

The Final Four Candidates?

Whites

I've been told that there have been Four interviews, two of which were at Ashton Gate, these were Chris Hughton and Nigel Adkins, who we are keen on apparently. I'm not sure who the other two were, but these were outside of Ashton Gate. 

Make of that what you will.....

4 minutes ago, Whites said:

I've been told that there have been Four interviews, two of which were at Ashton Gate, these were Chris Hughton and Nigel Adkins, who we are keen on apparently. I'm not sure who the other two were, but these were outside of Ashton Gate. 

Four interviews today? If so is there four more to go is has the shortlist been narrowed?

1 hour ago, BetterRedthenBlue said:

If its down to Hughton and Adkins I wouldn't be disappointed. Hughton is a proven winner and Adkins took Southampton from league one to the prem and put down the framework for Southampton using their academy (admittedly only because they were in administration). 

Agreed, also getting Hull to finish in mid table last season when they were a basket case club looks impressive when you see how this one panned out.

He also knows The Championship pretty well & is used to managing on a small budget, which is a valuable skill in a Covid impacted season.

1 hour ago, Redrascal2 said:

Surely not Adkins. 4 years at Scunthorpe and then 4 clubs in 9 years. Something is not right. What an uninspiring  choice that would be. After the chance of Hughton.

Southampton - Sacked to bring in Pochettino 

Reading - Brought in but couldn't stop relegation from the premier league, next season finished 7th 1 point outside play offs, sacked December next season for being 10 points off the pace for play offs, can't remember what Reading were like as a club at that time

Sheffield Utd - Sacked after 1 season for finishing 11th, poor performance but should he have been given longer than 1 season to implement how he wanted to operate? 

Hull - PPG average over a seasons worth of game there was 59 points, respectable given their owners being ***** and helped players like Bowen develop. Left of his own choice not agreeing a new deal.

For me the only one that really sticks out is Sheffield Utd, don't know enough about the Reading situation did they have to sell players to adjust to prem and losing parachute payments in 18 months if they didn't go back up etc.

1 hour ago, Redrascal2 said:

Surely not Adkins. 4 years at Scunthorpe and then 4 clubs in 9 years. Something is not right. What an uninspiring  choice that would be. After the chance of Hughton.

adkins is a fantastic manager at this level 

It makes interesting reading but if he has done well at a number of these clubs and is still regularly sacked you have to have doubts about him as a long term solution.

2 minutes ago, Monkeh said:

Why does he keep getting sacked then.

28 minutes ago, Monkeh said:

Is he?

Kept Scunthorpe up once out of 2 attempts with them, which is probably a good achievement.

Did well with Southampton, was unfairly treated there but in hindsight worked out with Poch

Came close with Reading to playoffs in first season, then well off and sacked.

Led Sheff Utd to their lowest finish in League 1 in 30 years, sacked.

Relegation battle and mid table finish with Hull.

I'd say the Southampton success is the outlier there rather than the standard.

36 minutes ago, Redrascal2 said:

It makes interesting reading but if he has done well at a number of these clubs and is still regularly sacked you have to have doubts about him as a long term solution.

Why does he keep getting sacked then.

Nearly every manager gets sacked. With Adkins a lot of his sackings were due to crazy owners who provided little money and had unrealistic expectations. I think with the sort of long term backing he’d get from SL he would be an ideal candidate. 

2 hours ago, Whites said:

I could imagine Robbie Fowler being a candidate as a sort of second rate Gerrard option. He gave a deliberate interview that was shared on OTIB a while ago in which he talks about being influenced by and connected with Klopp. He talked boasted that he's a man-manager type. 

8 minutes ago, pongo88 said:

Nearly every manager gets sacked. With Adkins a lot of his sackings were due to crazy owners who provided little money and had unrealistic expectations. I think with the sort of long term backing he’d get from SL he would be an ideal candidate. 

I wouldn`t be disappointed with Adkins TBH. I don`t think he`s really `failed` anywhere and was harshly treated by Saints although I can see why they did what they did to an extent. I`ve got friends who are ST holders down there and they enjoyed the football they played at the time.

I also think it shows a bit of nous to get out of the sinking ship that is Hull before the shit really hit the fan - he could evidently see what was coming and bailed.

3 hours ago, Whites said:

Who told you and how do they know!

7 hours ago, BetterRedthenBlue said:

If its down to Hughton and Adkins I wouldn't be disappointed. Hughton is a proven winner and Adkins took Southampton from league one to the prem and put down the framework for Southampton using their academy (admittedly only because they were in administration). 

Adkins (or I’m sure his name will be Atkins should he get it) is a massively underrated manager imho.

5 hours ago, Lrrr said:

Southampton - Sacked to bring in Pochettino 

Reading - Brought in but couldn't stop relegation from the premier league, next season finished 7th 1 point outside play offs, sacked December next season for being 10 points off the pace for play offs, can't remember what Reading were like as a club at that time

Sheffield Utd - Sacked after 1 season for finishing 11th, poor performance but should he have been given longer than 1 season to implement how he wanted to operate? 

Hull - PPG average over a seasons worth of game there was 59 points, respectable given their owners being ***** and helped players like Bowen develop. Left of his own choice not agreeing a new deal.

For me the only one that really sticks out is Sheffield Utd, don't know enough about the Reading situation did they have to sell players to adjust to prem and losing parachute payments in 18 months if they didn't go back up etc.

thanks.

I really could see him and SL getting on well.  A really good fit if Hughton can’t be tempted.

Dark horse in the race, but one that shouldn’t be....and I’m guilty of forgetting him too.

Off to read up some more on him.

34 minutes ago, Davefevs said:

Adkins (or I’m sure his name will be Atkins should he get it) is a massively underrated manager imho.

thanks.

I really could see him and SL getting on well.  A really good fit if Hughton can’t be tempted.

Dark horse in the race, but one that shouldn’t be....and I’m guilty of forgetting him too.

Off to read up some more on him.

I'd be disappointed and underwhelmed by Adkins but can't really put my finger on why. But I remember that I - like many other posters on here at the time - was disappointed and underwhelmed when Cotts go the job so maybe it is a terrible idea to go on instinct. 

8 hours ago, Whites said:

Where did you get Adkins from? Not been mentioned at all for the job

12 minutes ago, Charlie BCFC said:

Where did you get Adkins from? Not been mentioned at all for the job

Well if we did interview 8 then I don’t recall 8 people being mentioned in the press linked to the job so some would undoubtably have not been mentioned....

Adkins would be a bit of an uninspiring appointment for me. Did a tremendous job at Scunthorpe, a good job at Southampton but relatively disappointing since - though perhaps not always in the best of circumstances.

I always felt he’d peaked at Southampton and expected him to drop back down the leagues. Always seemed to be punching above his weight IMO.

Adkins achieved a win percentage above 50% at Southampton, where they had back-to-back promotions, and above 40% at Scunthorpe (promoted from League 1) and Sheffield United. It was 36% at Reading and even 33% at Hull, which is roughly the same as LJ in his 3 managerial posts, having never achieved 40% at any club.

Hughton achieved over 50% win record at Newcastle plus winning the Championship and over 40% at both Birmingham and Brighton, also winning promotion for them. The only blemish for him was at Norwich (29%), although in his only full season in the Premier League with them, he did achieve an 11th place finish.

Jokanovic had a 58% win percentage in one season with Watford, when he got them promoted, while at Fulham over 3 and a bit seasons it was 44%, and a promotion.

All three have achieved promotion from the Championship and had more successful spells as managers at clubs than LJ ever achieved, so realistically all of them should be considered an upgrade. However none could guarantee promotion to the Premier League...

There are no guarantees in football you're quite right. Look at Coppell for a start! 3 promotions, manager of the season for taking Reading up as runaway Champions then into the top half.

One of his more recent spells at Crystal Palace- late 1990s- when they were deep in admin, he kept up and restored to some respectability- only for Simon Jordan to sack him I think.

Yet he left us after a less than full and enthusiastic buildup into pre season then two games!

All are an upgrade though. Guarantee? Is there such a thing.

I know he hasn't the promotions and isn't sought after like those you list but I'd still be interested in seeing what Paul Cook could do.

Archived