IGNORED

Respect to Cristiano Ronaldo

Major Isewater

Whilst I am not a big fan of this man’s  persona I have to take my hat off to him for his professionalism and his capacity to keep performing, week in , week out when he could just rest on his laurels.

From the BBC;

’ 

Cristiano Ronaldo dedicated Juventus' record-extending ninth successive Serie A title 'to the fans' as they defeated Sampdoria in Turin.

The forward scored his 31st league goal of the season from Miralem Pjanic's short free-kick and Federico Bernardeschi sealed the victory.‘

That really is some achievement.

:clap:

Over 20 league goals per season every season since 09/10. 31 goals in 32 apps in serie A this season, at age 35.

Guy is an absolute machine. From various documentaries etc I've seen a lot of staff aren't surprised he is still putting up big numbers late in his career, he was/is totally obsessive over his performance and training.

1 hour ago, YGBjammy said:

Over 20 league goals per season every season since 09/10. 31 goals in 32 apps in serie A this season, at age 35.

Guy is an absolute machine. From various documentaries etc I've seen a lot of staff aren't surprised he is still putting up big numbers late in his career, he was/is totally obsessive over his performance and training.

As Roy Castle used to say ‘ that’s dedication ‘ .

He sure as hell doesn’t need the money or the fame .

He’s done it at the highest level in the toughest leagues in the world albeit for the best clubs .

Whenever there is the argument over who is the best between CR and Messi , who is another outstanding player of our times, I put the former at the top because of this .

I really detested the ‘ Gelled tumbler ‘ for his antics earlier in his career but I can only admire his commitment to the game and his courage.

4 minutes ago, Major Isewater said:

As Roy Castle used to say ‘ that’s dedication ‘ .

He sure as hell doesn’t need the money or the fame .

He’s done it at the highest level in the toughest leagues in the world albeit for the best clubs .

Whenever there is the argument over who is the best between CR and Messi , who is another outstanding player of our times, I put the former at the top because of this .

I really detested the ‘ Gelled tumbler ‘ for his antics earlier in his career but I can only admire his commitment to the game and his courage.

Ronaldo has a magnificent record. He is indeed a machine. But I would still place Messi higher. 

1 hour ago, Major Isewater said:

Whilst I am not a big fan of this man’s  persona I have to take my hat off to him for his professionalism and his capacity to keep performing, week in , week out when he could just rest on his laurels.

From the BBC;

’ 

Cristiano Ronaldo dedicated Juventus' record-extending ninth successive Serie A title 'to the fans' as they defeated Sampdoria in Turin.

The forward scored his 31st league goal of the season from Miralem Pjanic's short free-kick and Federico Bernardeschi sealed the victory.‘

Even though he's lost a bit of pace, he's still no slouch. He's still very athletic and his finishing is still very good. Could easily play into his 40's considering the science and technology available now. 

Zlatan is 40 next October (2021). I think he'll still be playing. 

Cue Ibrahimovic retirement announcement 

11 minutes ago, AshtonGreat said:

Ronaldo has a magnificent record. He is indeed a machine. But I would still place Messi higher. 

I would like to have seen LM test himself in other leagues like Ronaldo has. Messi is undoubtedly one of the best players ever but he’s only done it in one country at one club which for me gives CR the edge.

2 minutes ago, The Batman said:

Even though he's lost a bit of pace, he's still no slouch. He's still very athletic and his finishing is still very good. Could easily play into his 40's considering the science and technology available now. 

Zlatan is 40 next October (2021). I think he'll still be playing. 

Cue Ibrahimovic retirement announcement 

Easily.

I think with Ronaldo, so long as he's still enjoying playing football, then he will just keep playing until he's had enough. His fitness levels/regime are unbelievable and you'd probably be hard pressed to find someone that could even compare to him in the modern game - maybe Zlatan himself would possibly come closest.

Also the small detail about winning trophies wherever he goes - Sporting (Portuguese charity shield/supercup), Man Utd, Madrid, Juventus, International trophies..... Has been very very successful.

In his early Man Utd days, you either loved him or hated him (most went with the latter due to where he was playing, as well as the winking incident against England), but I think most have learned to respect him over the years. 

I can see him going for a few years yet.

32 minutes ago, Major Isewater said:

I would like to have seen LM test himself in other leagues like Ronaldo has. Messi is undoubtedly one of the best players ever but he’s only done it in one country at one club which for me gives CR the edge.

I agree that Ronaldo's having nailed it in multiple leagues gives him an edge over Messi in certain respects. I just think Messi has a lot more to his game - he combines Ronaldo's numbers with DeBruyne's artistry. 

41 minutes ago, Major Isewater said:

Sorry, Major, it's not a good argument for me. Barcelona have been a state for a couple years and Messi's carried them massively. Ronaldo has 'tested/ proved himself' by going to a dominant Juventus side that had won 7 league titles back to back prior to his arrival. Even this year, 31 goals is impressive but considering 40% of them (rounding up) are penalties it takes the shine off. 

Messi the greatest for me but how privileged we are to have both right now! 

I used to find him quite objectionable but it's hard to dislike someone who has demonstrated such a sheer relentlessness in their quest to be the absolute peak of their ability. Must be one of, if not the, most committed and dedicated athletes the world has ever seen, to be in his condition at the tail end of his career really does take some doing. 

5 minutes ago, CheddarReds said:

Sorry, Major, it's not a good argument for me. Barcelona have been a state for a couple years and Messi's carried them massively. Ronaldo has 'tested/ proved himself' by going to a dominant Juventus side that had won 7 league titles back to back prior to his arrival. Even this year, 31 goals is impressive but considering 40% of them (rounding up) are penalties it takes the shine off. 

Messi the greatest for me but how privileged we are to have both right now! 

Am I the only one who changes their mind every year on who is better between the pair? It's just so hard to choose between them, they are very different in styles and personality. Football is lucky to have the pair of them. However, Lewandowski must feel gutted that the ballon d'or has been cancelled this year/

He'll play into his 40's with his fitness and dedication. I'll have him over Messi for proving himself in 3 top leagues and leading Portugal to a major trophy. I love the video of him dressing up as a chubby guy and trying to get people to have a kick about with him, even gets rejected when he asks a women for her number. Ends playing with a young lad before revealing himself. 

He lost my respect when he decided to dishonour his career by joining the Turin Mafia, aka Masters Of Cheating: judging Rubentus players numbers has little value, at least compared to other teams players, who don't have the same advantages that the Bianconeri almost always have (even this season).

I have been enjoying watching the Serie A highlights for the past few weeks. It was a good strike last night but I recommend the goal he scored against Genoa a few weeks ago on around 2 minutes.

Strangely you could argue Juve have had a poor season if they do badly in the return of the champions league.

He will go on until he is 40 in my opinion, fantastic player and consider myself lucky to watch him play. He is not always liked in some respects for on field antics but he is a very charitable person, ambassadors to 3 charities, donating huge sums and paying for a child’s brain surgery, and that’s the tip of the iceberg. 

For me, the comparison between Messi and Cristiano Ronaldo comes down to whether you admire pure talent or pure dedication. I'm being massively simplistic here, in that both are obviously ridiculously talented and ridiculously dedicated to their professions but Messi strikes me as someone who has been the best from the young age and has had a career based on that incredible talent whereas Ronaldo is someone who, as a talented teenager, worked relentlessly to improve and improve until he was the best in the world. I still remember when Ronaldo as at United, there was frequent discussion about whether Ronaldo or Rooney would go on to be the better player and Ronaldo went from being on a level where the comparison seemed valid to getting so good he blew Rooney, and everyone else bar Messi, completely out the water.

It sort of comes down to  the Karate Kid thing. Are you more impressed by Danny Le Russo, who starts doing karate and seems to have a natural gift for it, or Johnny Lawrence, who has obviously worked his entire life to be a winner? You're tempted to side with the talented underdog but I'd argue the one who works harder to achieve excellence is the more impressive one. 

Very possible he is the best player in terms of sheer determination and hard work we will ever see. Fantastic example of putting in the effort and living the correct lifestyle which goes to show what can be achieved. 

Messi, brilliant and perhaps the most gifted player we will ever watch however has had a team year in year out which is built around him. Like others have said it would have been great to see him in another league.

3 hours ago, Major Isewater said:

From the BBC;

’ 

Indeed, not bad for a little winker!  

26 minutes ago, LondonBristolian said:

For me, the comparison between Messi and Cristiano Ronaldo comes down to whether you admire pure talent or pure dedication. I'm being massively simplistic here, in that both are obviously ridiculously talented and ridiculously dedicated to their professions but Messi strikes me as someone who has been the best from the young age and has had a career based on that incredible talent whereas Ronaldo is someone who, as a talented teenager, worked relentlessly to improve and improve until he was the best in the world. I still remember when Ronaldo as at United, there was frequent discussion about whether Ronaldo or Rooney would go on to be the better player and Ronaldo went from being on a level where the comparison seemed valid to getting so good he blew Rooney, and everyone else bar Messi, completely out the water.

It sort of comes down to  the Karate Kid thing. Are you more impressed by Danny Le Russo, who starts doing karate and seems to have a natural gift for it, or Johnny Lawrence, who has obviously worked his entire life to be a winner? You're tempted to side with the talented underdog but I'd argue the one who works harder to achieve excellence is the more impressive one. 

Messi is an example of extreme nurture and nature. It is estimated he had achieved 5000 hours of training before being ten. His path leaving Argentina, using growth hormones, the relentless focus on developing muscle memory is an extreme of the extreme.

A talent is here is being able to sustain the level of commitment, to continually find the grind interesting as a child to internalise the training. His parents are also special people. Their Sons development was on a level of intensity that virtually all parents would not tolerate or consider. 

Ronaldo also has a similar freakish application to improvement allied to natural physical abilities that were highly advantageous for football. 

3 hours ago, Major Isewater said:

I never get this argument, we celebrate 1 club English players for their commitment and loyalty but Messi gets criticised for it

Archived