IGNORED

Benik Afobe

Mr Popodopolous

Was looking for something else and found this.

https://footballleagueworld.co.uk/fresh-update-emerges-regarding-benik-afobes-stoke-city-future/

Tony, is Benik Afobe a done deal to Bristol City?
TS: No it isn’t.

Benik is back in training and the loan to Bristol is still in place.

The loan expires at the end of June and as things stand he returns to us.

Granted, I maybe out the loop and it could be old news- always possible! ?

7 minutes ago, Mr Popodopolous said:

https://footballleagueworld.co.uk/fresh-update-emerges-regarding-benik-afobes-stoke-city-future/

Not massively surprised by this. I'd assume we'd decide whether to exercise the option at the end of the season...

5 minutes ago, LondonBristolian said:

Doesn't it just mean we have an option but haven't yet decided to exercise it?

That’s how I’m reading it, and Stoke guy trying time bring some optimism to his own fans.

Theres no way we will exercise it until we are clearer on his rehab.

53 minutes ago, Redpool said:

Unless Fam goes. I can’t see us bringing him in.

It would also have to be at low cost due to the severity of his recent injury and his history with injuries.

As much as I love Fam, probably my fave player/poty possibly for me, I think Afobe and Wells is a better option than Wells and Fam in terms of promotion from the championship. 

Benik will hopefully get a few games in before the end of the season and I guess that we will have to see how those go before making the transfer decision.  We may be able to negotiate something with Stoke by way of a reduced transfer fee with an addon based on appearances to spread the risk more fairly between us and the Potters.

I for one am really looking forward to seeing him back in a red shirt as soon as possible and hope we get to keep him.

36 minutes ago, mozo said:

Of course we've all got love for Benik but...

Could the Afobe loan turn out to be the biggest waste of money in Bristol City's history? 

Didn't we pay a hefty loan fee, possibly in the millions? @Kid in the Riot

We don't pay loan fees according to what Ashton said at some dinner or other recently.

(Senior Reds maybe).

1 hour ago, steviestevieneville said:

Interesting to see a few thinking fam could be POTY. His form has been good since the turn of the year , first half of the season pretty average. 
personally , if we could get rid of fam and sign benik for next season, it would be a massive upgrade in overall ability. 

I agree, but think there's a place for both. I rate Weimann but would rather he left and Afobe arrived if it was a choice. Think Famara's style, being a bit different from Wells and Afobe, is very useful to have.

38 minutes ago, bcfc01 said:

We don't pay loan fees according to what Ashton said at some dinner or other recently.

(Senior Reds maybe).

I don’t believe him....but of course there is more than one way to pay a loan player and not class it as a “traditional loan fee”.

I don’t believe you let another club (Bristol City) have your multi-million pound asset of for nothing other than wages.

5 minutes ago, Davefevs said:

I don’t believe him....but of course there is more than one way to pay a loan player and not class it as a “traditional loan fee”.

I don’t believe you let another club (Bristol City) have your multi-million pound asset of for nothing other than wages.

Exactly, and you wont get a £12m player for 12 months for less than £2m, in which case my claim stands that we will have never wasted more money on a player. I mean, Engval is the only competition. 

13 minutes ago, Davefevs said:

Unless that highly paid player has been rubbish for you, the club is haemorrhaging money and are desperate to get people off of the wage bill. Lets not forget they paid up Berahino's contract and he was on £80k a week. Not saying you're wrong, bit there is a possibility.

17 minutes ago, Davefevs said:

Maybe, maybe not.

But thats apparently what he said and lets face it, what he said may have been misinterpreted, but I really don't see a reason for him to lie about it.

• Admin
5 hours ago, Mr Popodopolous said:

But.....

The comments indicate that the Robins have so far made no move to make the deal permanent, despite them having an option to buy the striker at the end of the season.

20 minutes ago, phantom said:

But.....

The comments indicate that the Robins have so far made no move to make the deal permanent, despite them having an option to buy the striker at the end of the season.

Okay, maybe I've misread/misinterpreted and by as things stand we have the option but haven't yet exercised.

Scholes wasn't wholly clear in his answer though.

If we're confident in our medical team's assessment of Benik's knee and it looks good I'd see no reason not to bring him in permanently, if I had to choose two from Wells, Fam, and a fit Afobe then it would be Wells and Afobe all day long.  That's not a slight on Fam I just don't like the way we play more often than not when he's in the XI, it seems the rest of our squad need little excuse to resort to punting the ball at him. 

Sentiment aside, I don't think there is logic to signing a player who has torn both ACLs, on high-end Championship/low-end Premiership wages. If we sign him on a 3 year deal and one repeats in the first 6 months, its a massive amount to spend on nothing, akin to how it has been this year.

Customarily, @Davefevs will disagree! ?

Archived