IGNORED

Benik Afobe

Mr Popodopolous

24 minutes ago, Dolman_Stand said:

He won't be back next season, we couldn't afford his salary and with the current uncertainty he isn't likely to accept a paycut to come here. On top of that as good as he was in the first mont or so f the season he didn't produce much after the restart.

Quite right.

Lovely bloke who has gone through unimaginable heartbreak this season.

He did very well to come back & play any part of this season but understandably he didn’t look the same player as before.

Taking wages & his injury record into account no chance we will be looking to bring him back for next season.

28 minutes ago, Dolman_Stand said:

He won't be back next season, we couldn't afford his salary and with the current uncertainty he isn't likely to accept a paycut to come here. On top of that as good as he was in the first mont or so f the season he didn't produce much after the restart.

Wonder (in hindsight) if the option to buy was “if we get promoted”.  As you say wages high / too high.

15 minutes ago, GrahamC said:

Quite right.

Lovely bloke who has gone through unimaginable heartbreak this season.

He did very well to come back & play any part of this season but understandably he didn’t look the same player as before.

Taking wages & his injury record into account no chance we will be looking to bring him back for next season.

Have to agree @GrahamC

I remember you making this point before. It would be a huge risk to bring back Benik next season. It’s a shame but there is just no way this will be viable.

BP reports Afobe has bid farewell to Bristol City, and has returned to Stoke. It also states Stoke would be looking for "north of 8m" for us to sign him; Loan a possibilty but that would depend on our new managers requirements/opinions and if anyone else fancies him.

With Fam not yet signed a new contract and only a year left also likely to be going, (if any kind of decent offer comes in); also Elli reported to be off  it will leave us a bit lean up top with a few holes to fill.

Afobe has undoubted talent but has the injury doubt

Wouldn't be sure about bringing him back perm or another loan based off his performances post-lockdown yes he wasn't long recovered but you're gambling on him finding his early season form on 35,000 or a big transfer fee. Imagine we can find better value elsewhere.

Really nice guy, model pro and definitely wish him well, but I think with all that's impacted on his game over the past 9 months, he's not going to give us very good return on investment and wee need to be looking elsewhere now. 

His movement was something different to anyone else we have or had recently

Even post-lockdown when he's probably not had the same form, you can still see him playing off the last man and getting in behind the defence just no one could find him with a "killer" pass

That said, for £8m it's got to be no. Too big a risk unless he takes a big pay cut.

Gutted because I've wanted us to sign him for years (however unrealistic that would have been) and when we finally do he gets that injury

What Stoke say they want and what they will get, in today’s circumstances, are two different things. Afobe has also got to be realistic as he’s not going to get 35k per week at another club. 

11 minutes ago, Coombsy said:

It’s less than 8 million 

we had an agreement for 4 million as we paid a big lone fee

That’s the conclusion I reached last summer....but I then heard it was £7-8m more recently.

But much as Benik was great on arrival, it would be a huge risk at even the £4m you quote, imho.

I'll always remember Afobe for the fairytale return after resumption that never was.

it seemed that everything had aligned fir a beautiful and deserved comeback story. in reality we got a handful of average performances and a brief goodbye.

2 minutes ago, bris red said:

Not a chance anyone will be paying Stoke north of 8 million for Afobe. Stoke living in absolute dreamland if they think that.

Agreed. In the current climate I'd value him and no more than £2m and I don't think they would get too many offers at that price.

Archived