IGNORED

Benik Afobe

Mr Popodopolous

9 minutes ago, mozo said:

Agreed. In the current climate I'd value him and no more than £2m and I don't think they would get too many offers at that price.

Not with a £35k pw wage too.

I’m pretty sure he only has a year left on his contract, so Stoke are either gonna have to (1) sell him for much less than they think he is worth, (2) offer him a new contract or (3) be prepared to let go for free next summer.

I guess a lot will depend on Michael O’Neil’s view on him.

If they go for option 2, then Benik may accept a lower wage for a couple of extra years security, but he still is gonna want a decent wedge, or he might happily sit out his final year.

Dilemma for Stoke.

Our new manager will have his own plans and players on his mind, and Afobe may not even be on his radar; unlikely to return even on a loan, but we will see.

15 minutes ago, Davefevs said:

Not with a £35k pw wage too.

I’m pretty sure he only has a year left on his contract, so Stoke are either gonna have to (1) sell him for much less than they think he is worth, (2) offer him a new contract or (3) be prepared to let go for free next summer.

I guess a lot will depend on Michael O’Neil’s view on him.

If they go for option 2, then Benik may accept a lower wage for a couple of extra years security, but he still is gonna want a decent wedge, or he might happily sit out his final year.

Dilemma for Stoke.

Exactly. Perhaps if Fulham don't go up they can sell Mitrovic and bring in Afobe (and a few others). If Forest were replacing Grabban. Maybe if a relegated club wanted to beef up their squad (are Deeney and Welbeck going to hang around in the Championship?)

But even these clubs might prefer to go foreign.

Didn't see a thread on this:

https://www.stokesentinel.co.uk/sport/football/transfer-news/michael-oneill-reveals-firm-stance-4370578

Think most of us realistically thought Afobe was not going to come back due to cost and the injury risk but, assuming O'Neill is being honest, this seems to pretty much confirm it. He has said he sees him as a top Championship player, wouldn't have agreed to loan him out and is looking forward to working with him next year. 

2 minutes ago, LondonBristolian said:

https://www.stokesentinel.co.uk/sport/football/transfer-news/michael-oneill-reveals-firm-stance-4370578

Think most of us realistically thought Afobe was not going to come back due to cost and the injury risk but, assuming O'Neill is being honest, this seems to pretty much confirm it. He has said he sees him as a top Championship player, wouldn't have agreed to loan him out and is looking forward to working with him next year. 

Thanks for sharing. I would've thought they'd want him off the payroll, but if that's not the case, O'Neill might be building them back up nicely.

3 minutes ago, LondonBristolian said:

I'm surprised they loaned him out in the first place. Can only presume they needed the money by saving on his wages. 

1 minute ago, Monkeh said:

We can't afford him sadly

Can't say I was excited to see him at the gate again potentially next season. His first handful of games under us were good but I think we can do better for how much they were asking. 

Great player for us before injury but I’m sure there must be some form of psychological damage done with everyone he has gone through since.
His performances on his return didn’t look anything like what we had seen previously & the zip has definitely gone at the moment. It may come back with more training / match sharpness but I think the fee involved was now too high a risk.

A genuinely nice guy though who deserves respect & best wishes for his future career. 

• The title was changed to Benik Afobe

In fairness he came back too early after such a major operation and looked off the pace. Even then I saw snippets of the quality that we surely aspire to. Diedhiou will be off in the summer as will Eliasson and even with his injury record we should be able to get a good deal done for him.

Well it looks like the club have moved on which is a real shame as is playing Stoke at home soon without the fans. I am sure without the restrictions in place there would be an overwhelming show of support for the man.

I can't ever recall a similar scenario.

I know sentiment doesn't enter in to it but I'd love to see him in a Bristol City shirt again one day.

Archived