IGNORED

Benik Afobe

Mr Popodopolous

13 minutes ago, marcofisher said:

I would argue given that Wells has been given that slot on the wages that Afobe would have taken, the money would be far better spent on other areas of the squad. Otherwise we have all our wage bill tied up on two assets up front with one being likely to have an injury relapse.

It's worth remembering that our perception of Afobe is only based on five games. We do not know he would be that effective for a three year deal, especially after coming back after almost a whole season out. 

If Afobe is willing to bring his wages down to something the rest of our squad is on, then it could be a very considerable option. I don't think he should be one of our highest paid players however, and his previous contracts would suggest that he would be.  

I posted somewhere (maybe on here) else that I’m glad we have Wells....permanently.  It allows us to go into the summer without needing to focus a lot of effort on a 20 goal striker, because we have one (in theory).  Now up to Lee to work out the system and recruit to that, knowing he has the striker nailed.

9 minutes ago, Davefevs said:

I posted somewhere (maybe on here) else that I’m glad we have Wells....permanently.  It allows us to go into the summer without needing to focus a lot of effort on a 20 goal striker, because we have one (in theory).  Now up to Lee to work out the system and recruit to that, knowing he has the striker nailed.

Yeah and it's almost a rare window where the outgoings are higher priority than targets. The squad is pretty well equipped for another season and selection and treatment of current loanees is more of an issue in my eyes.

Going off Wikipedia stats.  Benik has 43 goals in 153 Championship appearances.

1 in 3.56 rate in championship. 

Famara has 36 in 103.

1 in 2.86.

Granted he also played 60 odd games in the Prem getting 10 goals along the way, but I'd back Fam to do similarly.

I think Afobe is a great player, I just don't like the 'massive upgrade in ability/big improvement' type of quotes.

I'd like to see both here next season.

15 minutes ago, Carey 6 said:

Going off Wikipedia stats.  Benik has 43 goals in 153 Championship appearances.

1 in 3.56 rate in championship. 

Famara has 36 in 103.

1 in 2.86.

Granted he also played 60 odd games in the Prem getting 10 goals along the way, but I'd back Fam to do similarly.

I think Afobe is a great player, I just don't like the 'massive upgrade in ability/big improvement' type of quotes.

I'd like to see both here next season.

Benik: (Champ)

4794CA4A-01F8-4F18-88D5-7EC01950108A.thumb.jpeg.130bb587b68e6ae764e427d048c6d33f.jpeg

103 starts + 50 subs - 43 goals + 12 assists (a goal every 217 minutes)

Famara: (Champ)

A117D0E2-B1F2-46B3-BE40-303EEF740521.thumb.jpeg.19c60005d7c4cce0623108175f56c308.jpeg

86 starts + 19 subs - 36 goals + 7 assists (a goal every 217 minutes)

???

edit:

Nahki: (Champ)

F350492C-37EB-48AE-9154-F047BDE3D1F9.thumb.jpeg.abfd5175e5cd2c6bb09a08f26c821a2c.jpeg

186 starts + 41 subs - 67 goals + 22 assists (a goal every 231 minutes)

4 minutes ago, Davefevs said:

Benik: (Champ)

4794CA4A-01F8-4F18-88D5-7EC01950108A.thumb.jpeg.130bb587b68e6ae764e427d048c6d33f.jpeg

103 starts + 50 subs - 43 goals + 12 assists (a goal every 217 minutes)

Famara: (Champ)

A117D0E2-B1F2-46B3-BE40-303EEF740521.thumb.jpeg.19c60005d7c4cce0623108175f56c308.jpeg

86 starts + 19 subs - 36 goals + 7 assists (a goal every 217 minutes)

???

Damn you with your statistics. You're getting in the way of a good argument here....

15 minutes ago, Shtanley said:

In the summer if we sold Diedhiou for the same amount we bought Afobe for I would be ecstatic.

Maybe he'd be up for taking a wage cut to come here, maybe Stoke would pay some of his wages. 

I would expect us to get more for Diedhiou than we’d have to pay out for Afobe (according to Kid when he signed on loan).

1 hour ago, Steve Watts said:

Why?  Why is he likely to have an injury relapse? 

ACL is an injury that commonly reoccurs in players. I'm no doctor, but given that Benik has had this injury in both knees now, it is possibly something with his anatomy that is causing this.

ACL injuries are probably the worst you can get and he has had them in BOTH knees now. 

One relapse and we are spunking a rather large amount of money down the drain for another entire season.

its a no brainer for me. We would be top 3 or 4 with a fit Benik Afobe. He is the way we want to set up with strong runs and angles for the likes of KP45. He would be back to his best playing for us rather than not enjoying his time in the potteries.

I really like Dhiedhiou and think he has been one of the players of the season but if we want to progress Afobe is the way forward and I think Fam will be off at the end of the season along with Eliasson in any case

17 hours ago, Davefevs said:

Why you having a go at me?  What spats?  A few people having a difference of opinion?

Not having a go at you Dave. I just feel that our head coach is busking it to a large extent. Some herein agree, others do not. I just don't want to debate it endlessly so I don't. It wasn't about you post per se. I'm just amazed that he had the front to call us "a work in progress" again.

8 minutes ago, The Original OTIB said:

Not having a go at you Dave. I just feel that our head coach is busking it to a large extent. Some herein agree, others do not. I just don't want to debate it endlessly so I don't. It wasn't about you post per se. I'm just amazed that he had the front to call us "a work in progress" again.

Got you. Ta

1 hour ago, Davefevs said:

Without stats I think Afobe allows us to play better attacking football.  But that’s hugely subjective.

All joking aside, I completely agree. It's tough on Fam, as he has had his best season this year, and if we were to bring Afobe in permanently, then unless we change the system to fit NW, BA and FD all in the same team, then you have to presume that FD would be the one sitting out.

Without getting into a completely different and recurring conversation with regards to management/personel which has been done to death, I'm not so sure that this management team would be able to utilize a system with 3 strikers.

With that in mind, I think Fam will be off if we're bringing in Benik permanently.

We don’t really know how good Afobe is do we? He’s only played 5 or 6 games for us, granted he scored 3 goals. But whose to say that would’ve continued? If he’d played another 5 games and didn’t score, some people on here would’ve been slagging him right off. Until he’s properly fit and playing again, I would hold fire.

1 hour ago, Davefevs said:

I would expect us to get more for Diedhiou than we’d have to pay out for Afobe (according to Kid when he signed on loan).

Oh yeah, a couple million roughly right? Be a steal if true. I think we should get our money back on Diedhiou. 

Makes sense that Diedhiou leaves in the summer. Doesn't his contract expire in 2021? I think he will feel he can negotiate a good payday for the next phase of his career, having proved he can operate at the top end of the Championship. 

Perhaps Eliasson will jump ship too.

20 minutes ago, mozo said:

Makes sense that Diedhiou leaves in the summer. Doesn't his contract expire in 2021? I think he will feel he can negotiate a good payday for the next phase of his career, having proved he can operate at the top end of the Championship. 

Perhaps Eliasson will jump ship too.

I think they both will, and with a bit of a cull elsewhere, there’ll be a sensible budget in the summer.

Again, just my opinion, but I don’t see us getting more for Eliasson than something in the region of £6-8m.  I have no problem if others think it will be £12-15m.  Even better if you lot are right.

Diedhiou is a broader range £6-10m because he’s a striker.

Both with one year to go.  If I thought one of them might sign an extension it’s Fam.

Purely because we need to generate transfer income to keep the bills/ latest transfer incomings ticking over, then im sure at least 1 of nic or fam will be leaving,,,, and nic is the more likely of the pair at this point i reckon. 
also perhaps im the only one, but does anyone else not think that wells and afobe are similar types of player? And with wells signed on a perm we arent likely to do the deal for benik too?

4 minutes ago, Simon bristol said:

Purely because we need to generate transfer income to keep the bills/ latest transfer incomings ticking over, then im sure at least 1 of nic or fam will be leaving,,,, and nic is the more likely of the pair at this point i reckon. 
also perhaps im the only one, but does anyone else not think that wells and afobe are similar types of player? And with wells signed on a perm we arent likely to do the deal for benik too?

Similar(ish).

Wells, nimble, Afobe, powerful.

6 minutes ago, Simon bristol said:

I agree.

I think Eliasson will definitely be off at the end of the season in search of a higher level (I don't think his game is good enough for a higher level personally, but can't blame him for wanting a crack at it). It will probably depend on where he goes as to the fee, if he gets a premier league move then maybe 10m. Maybe a bit less for an overseas move ?

Diedhiou may be surplus if Afobe signs, but he's a totally different player so LJ may want to offer him a deal. Not sure if he'd take it. I think we'd be lucky to get back what we paid. 5m tops imo.

I don't think Wells and Afobe are that similar as Wells looks able to play as a 10 or even out wide, while Afobe is all about centre forward imo.

1 hour ago, Hello Dave said:

We don’t really know how good Afobe is do we? He’s only played 5 or 6 games for us, granted he scored 3 goals. But whose to say that would’ve continued? If he’d played another 5 games and didn’t score, some people on here would’ve been slagging him right off. Until he’s properly fit and playing again, I would hold fire.

Didn't Weimann score about 5 in 8 when played with Taylor last season while Fam was suspended?  That form didn't last although that was probably down to Fam returning or LJ tinkering. Can we risk keeping Afobe next year if possible? I know its not my money but I would take a chance with him.  He offers so much more than just goals.

10 minutes ago, Simon bristol said:

Yeah, both the number 9 that ashton has talked about. But afobe isnt necessarily the target man that fam is.

Yep.

No, he definitely isn’t....my football philosophy doesn’t require a (traditional) target man....whether Lee’s does or not, I don’t know. ?

3 minutes ago, marmite said:

Didn't Weimann score about 5 in 8 when played with Taylor last season while Fam was suspended?  That form didn't last although that was probably down to Fam returning or LJ tinkering. Can we risk keeping Afobe next year if possible? I know its not my money but I would take a chance with him.  He offers so much more than just goals.

Something I wrote for the BP only last week:

https://www.bristolpost.co.uk/sport/football/weimann-diedhiou-dilemma-bristol-citys-3923302

5 minutes ago, Davefevs said:

Excellent piece Dave- just read it.

Agreed, Weimann in the side makes us more fluid, will enable us to press more- perhaps better movement too, both from him and giving the team options through his movement- Diedhiou has his strengths and as you say can be rather suited on the road, but wouldn't have Diedhiou in my 1st XI from the start- or pairing Weimann.

12 minutes ago, Mr Popodopolous said:

Excellent piece Dave- just read it.

Agreed, Weimann in the side makes us more fluid, will enable us to press more- perhaps better movement too, both from him and giving the team options through his movement- Diedhiou has his strengths and as you say can be rather suited on the road, but wouldn't have Diedhiou in my 1st XI from the start- or pairing Weimann.

They didn’t include these:

With Fam:

image.thumb.jpeg.e9695c1eddd6e29a04352c8ffd16ca6f.jpeg

Without:

image.thumb.jpeg.5e6e620458502d7212a98cc4b9a6e844.jpeg

Archived