IGNORED

Other Manager Options (Merged)

southvillekiddy

I know the source of the "8 interviewees, snippet" is questionable but If there really were/are 8 people to be fully interviewed then it would mean that the people at our Club are either living in the past or do not know how to draw up a list of those truly qualified for the post and are operating in an antiquated world akin to the 1950s, when most people didn't have telephones let alone computers and manager briefings on the Internet. Uncertainty and disagreement must surely arise from having too many choices

If we are truly intent on Premiership football then we should do what the top Clubs do. Decide who is already doing what we want to happen at BCFC and head-hunt that person. Sell the idea of coming to our Club. If they do not want to, move on to the next best, seen individually

I am therefore baffled if it is true that our Club actually uses the full interview system in the modern age of football. We live in the Internet Age not the pre-television age. It's different of course if one is considering a foreign manager working abroad but we see managers ad nauseum in pre-match and post-match briefings on TV here. Having worked out who is truly qualified, on their record, to take us to the Premiership it should not be difficult for SL to decide on the basis of those TV briefings who he could probably work with. Also soundings would be taken with those in the game about that person.

Then the first choice would be invited in for discussions

Most people on here and those who know him from Brighton say Hughton is a fair dignified serious individual as well as the best qualified for what we are aiming for. He is also immediately available. We should be selling the job to him

(If we are doing this) Why are we mucking about with interviews?

How do any of us know if this is remotely true?

Until an appointment is made it is all simply guesswork.

I don’t think it unreasonable that we have made an announcement by Tuesday but everything else is supposition.

Depends what you class as an 'interview', if we're not serious about Lowe/Flynn etc I don't see a problem with having a chat with them while we're at this stage, how they're developing etc and keeping ties with them as they're valuable places for our loans to go to. Robbie Fowler as an example, works in Australia so not like you'd get a face to face with him too often, he's applied and would having a chat with him about his football philosophy and beliefs be a bad thing? Could well be someone to keep track of for 5 years or so down the line. Media outlets would then report these guys as being on our short list whereas if they're saying its 8 but these 3 were informal chats etc then it already takes it down to 5 which is a reasonable amount of people.

14 minutes ago, GrahamC said:

I don’t think it unreasonable that we have made an announcement by Tuesday but everything else is supposition.

But the facts are that Hughton has been available since last year and with the poor performances in 2020 (especially after the lock-down) he could have been lined up long ago to take over before the end of the season.

Why sack LJ at that time if you have nothing in place? Now we are in competition with other clubs for Hughton.

6 minutes ago, southvillekiddy said:

But the facts are that Hughton has been available since last year and with the poor performances in 2020 (especially after the lock-down) he could have been lined up long ago to take over before the end of the season.

Why sack LJ at that time if you have nothing in place? Now we are in competition with other clubs

Hughton hasn’t joined any teams in that time and maybe there’s a reason for that. Most fans have put all their eggs in the Hughton basket and don’t even know if he wants the job. Clearly if we don’t get him those fans will say the club messed up without even knowing if it’s true. Always find it weird how fans assume the negative side of a guess 

4 minutes ago, southvillekiddy said:

Why sack LJ at that time if you have nothing in place? Now we are in competition with other clubs

It is a fact that Hughton is available.

What we don’t know though is whether he wants far more than we are willing to pay, has given us the impression there are other jobs he is waiting on first or that he wants to bring in more coaching staff than we will allow.

We aren’t involved in the process so basically as I said before, people are just guessing.

As for LJ, I don’t think when we restarted the season it was ever the board’s intention to sack him, but 4 defeats later they felt they had no choice.

The OP wont be happy until he has a a page full of posts on the same subject. 

I really don't understand why Steve Lansdown can't see the truth, if only he had realised before investing a 10th of his amassed fortune in this enterprise, that what he really needed was some anonymous person on an obscure forum to tell him how to spend it. Perhaps he believes that if this said person really knew how to spend that kind of money, he might have some understanding on how to build a business that would enable him to have his own money to spend and do it properly.

Getting off the point a bit which is : is interviewing the way or should we be head-hunting people like Hughton, selling our Club potential to them.

And on the matter of money, we should be prepared to pay more because we are a Club in a foot-balling backwater.  

2 minutes ago, southvillekiddy said:

Getting off the point a bit which is : is interviewing the way or should we be head-hunting people like Hughton, selling our Club potential to them.

And on the matter of money, we should be prepared to pay more because we are a Club in a foot-balling backwater.  

And then get 12 points deducted because we have breached ffp

13 minutes ago, Lanterne Rouge said:

It amuses me that some people are so quick do believe some bollocks clickbait article from the EP despite rubbishing everything else that`s printed in it most of the time.

I pointed out in the opening line of my OP, if you had bothered to read it carefully, that the source for "the 8" was questionable. However main question remains : Do we interview or Head-hunt? answers please.

1 minute ago, southvillekiddy said:

I pointed out in the opening line of my OP, if you had bothered to read it carefully, that the source for "the 8" was questionable. However main question remains : Do we interview or Head-hunt? answers please.

Both? We went after Gerrard (seemingly) and interviewing some of those who applied

51 minutes ago, GrahamC said:

Absolutely right Graham.

Do any of us actually know who is on the shortlist? (assuming that there is a shortlist) 

My guess is no supporter knows for sure and that’s why we see so many threads based on wild speculation and rumour.....Otib won’t change until the official club announcement Is made - it’ll be on the OS I guess.....:cool2:

1 hour ago, frenchred said:

That's what happens when you don't have "football" people at the top or fully trusted to delegate

Or if you blindly believe everything that’s reported in the media...not a chance in hell we will be conducting formal interviews with 8 candidates imo. 

10 minutes ago, Port Said Red said:

The OP wont be happy until he has a a page full of posts on the same subject. 

I really don't understand why Steve Lansdown can't see the truth, if only he had realised before investing a 10th of his amassed fortune in this enterprise, that what he really needed was some anonymous person on an obscure forum to tell him how to spend it. Perhaps he believes that if this said person really knew how to spend that kind of money, he might have some understanding on how to build a business that would enable him to have his own money to spend and do it properly.

You may be happy with SLs performance as Owner/Chairman while he's been buying 97% of our football Club (supported and paid-for for 125 years by fans stinting themselves every weekend) but I'm not alone in saying that his record is unacceptable, especially when he has said many times that he wants Premiership football. If only he could be as successful in football as he has undoubtedly been in business. Ask yourself why this is.

Even when head hunting, you interview. The difference is that you invite the candidates instead of having an open application process. You may see it as old fashioned but it remains a key due diligence activity for both sides.

Hopefully it helps the clubs to make a good, informed decision.

55 minutes ago, And Its Smith said:

Hughton hasn’t joined any teams in that time and maybe there’s a reason for that. Most fans have put all their eggs in the Hughton basket and don’t even know if he wants the job. Clearly if we don’t get him those fans will say the club messed up without even knowing if it’s true. Always find it weird how fans assume the negative side of a guess 

True. Many of us dearly love our football Club and cannot understand why we are not a top 10 team with all we have going for us. Our experience generally is indeed that the people in charge regularly mess up.

5 minutes ago, southvillekiddy said:

You may be happy with SLs performance as Owner/Chairman while he's been buying 97% of our football Club (supported and paid-for for 125 years by fans stinting themselves every weekend) but I'm not alone in saying that his record is unacceptable, especially when he has said many times that he wants Premiership football. If only he could be as successful in football as he has undoubtedly been in business. Ask yourself why this is.

You are right there are others who think that there are better ways to spend other peoples money. I am sure it wont surprise anyone on here that there were people who questioned the way that Harry Dolman worked as well. Those people were wrong too, and not once came up with a viable alternative. 

18 minutes ago, WarksRobin said:

Even when head hunting, you interview. The difference is that you invite the candidates instead of having an open application process. You may see it as old fashioned but it remains a key due diligence activity for both sides.

Hopefully it helps the clubs to make a good, informed decision.

Of course. It becomes an individual interview. But you already know that that person can do what you want for the Club. The discussion is about the means and costs of doing it.

Archived