IGNORED

Other Manager Options (Merged)

southvillekiddy

18 minutes ago, southvillekiddy said:

I pointed out in the opening line of my OP, if you had bothered to read it carefully, that the source for "the 8" was questionable. However main question remains : Do we interview or Head-hunt? answers please.

Yes.

2 minutes ago, Port Said Red said:

You are right there are others who think that there are better ways to spend other peoples money. I am sure it wont surprise anyone on here that there were people who questioned the way that Harry Dolman worked as well. Those people were wrong too, and not once came up with a viable alternative. 

Okay. At least Harry found Alan Dicks

18 minutes ago, BRISTOL86 said:

Or if you blindly believe everything that’s reported in the media...not a chance in hell we will be conducting formal interviews with 8 candidates imo. 

I really hope that it is true we aren't interviewing in that grotesque, antiquated way. 

5 minutes ago, southvillekiddy said:

No, don't go mad. Spend the money on a decent managerial set-up instead of wasting millions on second and third rate players hoping that by a miracle they come good.

Our transfer system has been ridiculously successful. The whole system is buy potential and develop - it does and has to allow for that not always working. You can like that or not, but it has led to continual growth in the club and the finances we are able to spend on players - it has allowed us to continually break or record fees (received and spent) and increase the quality of who we recruit.

1 minute ago, southvillekiddy said:

I meant interviewing 8. That was clear.

Sorry misread what you meant, I agree that interviewing 8 candidates would be ridiculous which is why I don’t believe for a minute that it’s the case. 

My own gut feel is that we whittled a considerable number of applications down to 8 and then interviewed maybe 4 of them....all sounds fairly normal to me and can’t for the life of me fathom some of the hyperbole on here about the whole thing, especially as the board were roundly criticised for supposedly abandoning such due process after SC left. 

3 minutes ago, BCFC Richard said:

Our transfer system has been ridiculously successful. The whole system is buy potential and develop - it does and has to allow for that not always working. You can like that or not, but it has led to continual growth in the club and the finances we are able to spend on players - it has allowed us to continually break or record fees (received and spent) and increase the quality of who we recruit.

This is a recent phenomena in my view, in the sense that we have developed a few players (who I wish had stuck around to help us get in the Prem) who we sold for hefty sums. Generally I would say that in the past we have not improved or even de-skilled players who came to us. Players who later went on to be successful in the Prem. eg. Bolassie, Robinson. Fredericks etc. So Holden and MaCallister must have something.

16 minutes ago, southvillekiddy said:

Of course. It becomes an individual interview. But you already know that that person can do what you want for the Club. The discussion is about the means and costs of doing it.

You can learn more about a candidate and their methods and character in an interview than from any other source. Very few interviews include a negotiation on salary; that comes later once the employer has made a decision

1 hour ago, And Its Smith said:

Hughton hasn’t joined any teams in that time and maybe there’s a reason for that. Most fans have put all their eggs in the Hughton basket and don’t even know if he wants the job. Clearly if we don’t get him those fans will say the club messed up without even knowing if it’s true. Always find it weird how fans assume the negative side of a guess 

I think to be fair to our fans this is based on years and years of bad choices and underachievement. This has led to us becoming a footballing backwater.

the last few years we have slowly crawled our way to championship security but have had to endure some hideously dull matches at home to get to this point.

we have now finally got to the point where one or two truly proven managers have declared an interest in us. People are nervous that the powers at be might be scared to take the next step and let these men work their magic on their terms because  it might step on the cosy structure.

3 minutes ago, BRISTOL86 said:

Sorry misread what you meant, I agree that interviewing 8 candidates would be ridiculous which is why I don’t believe for a minute that it’s the case. 

My own gut feel is that we whittled a considerable number of applications down to 8 and then interviewed maybe 4 of them....all sounds fairly normal to me and can’t for the life of me fathom some of the hyperbole on here about the whole thing, especially as the board were roundly criticised for supposedly abandoning such due process after SC left. 

Sorry mate but SLs history has shown that we get who he wants. I just wish he would take advice from those that know and then head-hunt the person who can do what he says he wants for BCFC. 

1 minute ago, milo1111 said:

I think to be fair to our fans this is based on years and years of bad choices and underachievement. This has led to us becoming a footballing backwater.

the last few years we have slowly crawled our way to championship security but have had to endure some hideously dull matches at home to get to this point.

we have now finally got to the point where one or two truly proven managers have declared an interest in us. People are nervous that the powers at be might be scared to take the next step and let these men work their magic on their terms because  it might step on the cosy structure.

Agree totally. Thankyou.

1 hour ago, southvillekiddy said:

I know the source of the "8 interviewees, snippet" is questionable but If there really were/are 8 people to be fully interviewed then it would mean that the people at our Club are either living in the past or do not know how to draw up a list of those truly qualified for the post and are operating in an antiquated world akin to the 1950s, when most people didn't have telephones let alone computers and manager briefings on the Internet. Uncertainty and disagreement must surely arise from having too many choices

If we are truly intent on Premiership football then we should do what the top Clubs do. Decide who is already doing what we want to happen at BCFC and head-hunt that person. Sell the idea of coming to our Club. If they do not want to, move on to the next best, seen individually

I am therefore baffled if it is true that our Club actually uses the full interview system in the modern age of football. We live in the Internet Age not the pre-television age. It's different of course if one is considering a foreign manager working abroad but we see managers ad nauseum in pre-match and post-match briefings on TV here. Having worked out who is truly qualified, on their record, to take us to the Premiership it should not be difficult for SL to decide on the basis of those TV briefings who he could probably work with. Also soundings would be taken with those in the game about that person.

Then the first choice would be invited in for discussions

Most people on here and those who know him from Brighton say Hughton is a fair dignified serious individual as well as the best qualified for what we are aiming for. He is also immediately available. We should be selling the job to him

(If we are doing this) Why are we mucking about with interviews?

As you're such an expert in top level recruitment, I'm surprised they haven't consulted you.

1 minute ago, Chappers said:

Just means that we have had a lot of good applicants and making sure we get the best applicant. Just don’t see the problem, too many people obsessed with just one candidate

Thing is mate, when we hear eg. that we may be getting the bloke from Newport County, who is said to be an "outstanding prospect" or some other such bollocks as spouted by Ashton when we got LJ, we know from past form that it is perfectly possible that that will happen again with BCFC. Then some of us get quite upset.

I don’t believe for a moment that they’ve actually interviewed 8 candidates. More likely 2 or 3 , and the interviews wouldn’t have been the normal standard questions and answers. More a case of finding out if the candidates could work with the club and vice versa and perhaps SL was also using the interviews to see that the clubs whole philosophy wasn't in need of some tinkering.

6 minutes ago, cidered abroad said:

If this scenario is correct, it is amazing that we have done a complete U turn from when Lee Johnson walked into the job without any other candidates!

No Ashton gave us some bollocks about LJ being the outstanding candidate in a staggeringly amazing field.

Difference is Hughton, or somebody of similiar quality has been there and done what we want.

4 minutes ago, cidered abroad said:

If this scenario is correct, it is amazing that we have done a complete U turn from when Lee Johnson walked into the job without any other candidates!

LJ was Steve Lancdowns choice. I fact I’m not even sure if the vacancy was even advertised.

This vacancy is very different to the last one. It seems that LJs sacking was something of a surprise and no other candidate was already lined up as LJ was and that’s probably why it’s taking so long to find the right guy.

2 minutes ago, southvillekiddy said:

Thing is mate, when we hear eg. that we may be getting the bloke from Newport County, who is said to be an "outstanding prospect" or some other such bollocks as spouted by Ashton when we got LJ, we know from past form that it is perfectly possible that that will happen again with BCFC. Then some of us get quite upset.

And you know that Flynn is not a good candidate? You may be right, but equally, you may be the one spouting bullocks. Lot of factors to consider, not just a bandwagon

6 minutes ago, SecretSam said:

As you're such an expert in top level recruitment, I'm surprised they haven't consulted you.

Well I offered. I'm sure you heard?? 

Why are some City fans so pedantic and parochial when the conduct of our Club is being debated. We are so very far from what our football Club could achieve. I'd say the fans aren't to blame for that, so who is? Are you happy with our situation?

3 minutes ago, Robbored said:

LJ was Steve Lancdowns choice. I fact I’m not even sure if the vacancy was even advertised.

This vacancy is very different to the last one. It seems that LJs sacking was something of a surprise and no other candidate was already lined up as LJ was and that’s probably why it’s taking so long to find the right guy.

That's totally believable and it comes from one who has entered the inner sanctum of our Club

9 minutes ago, Chappers said:

And you know that Flynn is not a good candidate? You may be right, but equally, you may be the one spouting bullocks. Lot of factors to consider, not just a bandwagon

The "outstanding candidate" I mentioned (LJ) was referred to in this way by Ashton. Respect to Flynn, who may be brilliant at the level he is operating.

I thought our owner (and at least this fan) wants Premiership football? Why not appoint someone who has done it?

Archived