IGNORED

Other Manager Options (Merged)

southvillekiddy

14 minutes ago, southvillekiddy said:

The "outstanding candidate" I mentioned (LJ) was referred to in this way by Ashton. Respect to Flynn, who may be brilliant at the level he is operating.

I thought our owner (and at least this fan) wants Premiership football? Why not appoint someone who has done it?

For the simple reason that they might not be affordable, or the right fit for the job. 

1 hour ago, eric04 said:

8 names is not a shortlist. 

A “shortlist” is a rather strange description as usually you don’t know how long the “long list” was. It’s a bit like geography. We have the Middle East and the Far East, but where is the Near East? 

51 minutes ago, BCFC Richard said:

Our transfer system has been ridiculously successful. The whole system is buy potential and develop - it does and has to allow for that not always working. You can like that or not, but it has led to continual growth in the club and the finances we are able to spend on players - it has allowed us to continually break or record fees (received and spent) and increase the quality of who we recruit.

Successful?

How many have not even been able to make the bench regularly?

How many have been continually successful in our first time? Too many in and out performances.

Why have we failed to make the play offs three seasons in a row with all these successful signings?

2 minutes ago, pongo88 said:

A “shortlist” is a rather strange description as usually you don’t know how long the “long list” was. It’s a bit like geography. We have the Middle East and the Far East, but where is the Near East? 

Turkey is supposedly where East meets West. 

1 hour ago, Lanterne Rouge said:

It amuses me that some people are so quick do believe some bollocks clickbait article from the EP despite rubbishing everything else that`s printed in it most of the time.

It amuses a lot of us :yawn:

Can't see why people insist on focusing on all the negative aspects when they know nothing about the process the club are going through or who the hell they are "interviewing."

3 minutes ago, Chappers said:

For the simple reason that they might not be affordable, or the right fit for the job. 

I'd argue, that it being the case that we are in a footballing backwater, that we have to pay more. Instead of putting money into expensive players who aren't given a start or inadequate players, that we spend money on a top manager and coaching team

7 minutes ago, pongo88 said:

East Anglia

9 minutes ago, southvillekiddy said:

Okay. We are told it was Dawe, I'm allowed to think that may not be whole story. Look what happened to our most successful manager in recent times who stood up to SL.

The way he “stood up to him” was try and spend the entire transfer budget on a succession of players who would either never have come here or we wouldn’t pay their ridiculous wage demands. When he couldn’t get his way, he deliberately left spaces on the bench that could have been filled by junior players, in what can only be seen as a fit of pique. 
He was childish and stupid enough to think that one promotion made him invincible. That seems like the actions of an irrational mind, perhaps SL had seen that in him at the beginning and that’s why he was reticent to take him on.

He may as well have had the words Short-term Solution places on his tracksuit, the same way Warnock should at every club he goes to. 

From previous posts, you seem convinced that CH should be able to walk in with whatever demands he has, no questions asked. I would have zero respect for Lansdown if he did that. If I was in his position I would want to look the guy in the eye and see if the hunger is still there, it could be that making him jump through hoops is a way of seeing how badly he wants to be here.

2 minutes ago, southvillekiddy said:

I'd argue, that it being the case that we are in a footballing backwater, that we have to pay more. Instead of putting money into expensive players who aren't given a start or inadequate players, that we spend money on a top manager and coaching team

Have you spotted COVID and the fact that it is screwing up football finances? Doesn’t matter what any of us think, it’s the decision of the board.

15 minutes ago, Port Said Red said:

The way he “stood up to him” was try and spend the entire transfer budget on a succession of players who would either never have come here or we wouldn’t pay their ridiculous wage demands. When he couldn’t get his way, he deliberately left spaces on the bench that could have been filled by junior players, in what can only be seen as a fit of pique. 
He was childish and stupid enough to think that one promotion made him invincible. That seems like the actions of an irrational mind, perhaps SL had seen that in him at the beginning and that’s why he was reticent to take him on.

He may as well have had the words Short-term Solution places on his tracksuit, the same way Warnock should at every club he goes to. 

From previous posts, you seem convinced that CH should be able to walk in with whatever demands he has, no questions asked. I would have zero respect for Lansdown if he did that. If I was in his position I would want to look the guy in the eye and see if the hunger is still there, it could be that making him jump through hoops is a way of seeing how badly he wants to be here.

Do you know who those players were and how much they wanted? Because it sounds to me that Cotterill had serious ambitions for our Club and may well have been the man to bring better players here. We should expect to pay more because we are far away geographically from the mainstream of english football. Relocation is a serious business coming to us. He got us the double, how did he do that if he had an irrational mind? If you are saying Cotterill is passionate, on top of being a very good manager I'd agree. My suspicion is that he was firm about what he expected (why shouldn't he be after what he'd done for us) and SL is uncomfortable around anyone who threatens his control, especially in areas where he is less than secure .ie. football. We would have been on the crest of the wave on our return to the Champonship with Cotterill. Instead we get nepotism from SL in LJs appointment. Was that okay?

Hughton is the obvious choice. Has SL had a Premiership team, well Hughton has at three Clubs. We should pay above the going rate to get him for the reasons I mention. Can't see that Hughton is the type of man to come here and put his feet up.

(Lastly I think it's at least unsporting of you or even cruel of you to expect a 61 year old to physical jerks to get a job - not really mate)

31 minutes ago, TonyTonyTony said:

@southvillekiddy change the record mate. Your SL bashing is ridiculous and. You expect the owner to offer the job to Hughton on any terms and without looking at other options? What are you smoking 

Never said that. Just like SL to back up his words about the Prem with actions

PS gave it up 40 years ago, terrible headaches

49 minutes ago, cidered abroad said:

Successful?

How many have been continually successful in our first time? Too many in and out performances.

Why have we failed to make the play offs three seasons in a row with all these successful signings?

Because we had a head coach who went on long streaky runs and didn't know his best team ever

Whilst they can read reports, achievements and past records of the applicants if it were my club I’d want to meet them, see the whites of their eyes, hear their enthusiasm and vision, share my vision and really get a feel for the candidate and determine whether I can trust them with the stewardship of my club. Just because someone did something in the past doesn’t mean they will do it again. 

46 minutes ago, cidered abroad said:

Successful?

I think you can argue that you don't like the system but yes it is absolutely successful. It acknowledges that getting good young players and developing is not an exact science and not all will make it. It is based on the fact that we don't need to them all too - the vast profits available for just one working out sustain the club and the process. Not only has it worked financially but we have been able to increase the quality of the players we start with - thus increasing the chances of success and higher profits. Even players who have barely featured have often been sold on for small profits or a very negligible loss. You may not like the fact that some players don't feature much or get a chances they would if we recruited fewer players etc. but it is working as intended and making the club money and increasing season of season the quality of player we have been able to attract.

3 hours ago, frenchred said:

That's what happens when you don't have "football" people at the top or fully trusted to delegate

Agree - the club has been badly run for years. You just know this new appointment is gonna end up being a mess. It could only happen at AG. Shame really. You can only assume that Johnson’s sacking must have meant he had a big fall out with some players and that he had to be rid of quick?

1 minute ago, GasDestroyer said:

Agree - the club has been badly run for years. You just know this new appointment is gonna end up being a mess. It could only happen at AG. Shame really. You can only assume that Johnson’s sacking must have meant he had a big fall out with some players and that he had to be rid of quick?

no johnson was sacked because he was set a target of the top 6 this year and have all the financial backing to achieve this,

He failed to meet his target and was duly sacked for it ,

23 minutes ago, southvillekiddy said:

Do you know who those players were and how much they wanted? Because it sounds to me that Cotterill had serious ambitions for our Club and may well have been the man to bring better players here. We should expect to pay more because we are far away geographically from the mainstream of english football. Relocation is a serious business coming to us. He got us the double, how did he do that if he had an irrational mind? If you are saying Cotterill is passionate, on top of being a very good manager I'd agree. My suspicion is that he was firm about what he expected (why shouldn't he be after what he'd done for us) and SL is uncomfortable around anyone who threatens his control, especially in areas where he is less than secure .ie. football. We would have been on the crest of the wave on our return to the Champonship with Cotterill. Instead we get nepotism from SL in LJs appointment. Was that okay?

Hughton is the obvious choice. Has SL had a Premiership team, well Hughton has at three Clubs. We should pay above the going rate to get him for the reasons I mention. Can't see that Hughton is the type of man to come here and put his feet up.

(Lastly I think it's at least unsporting of you or even cruel of you to expect a 61 year old to physical jerks to get a job - not really mate)

It’s just so much anti Lansdown bullshit, despite being offered the opportunity to do so, you have made no effort to explain what the alternative is to a local man investing millions into the club. Where are the incredibly knowledgeable football chairmen or women who are queueing up to do what he has done?

There are more clubs throughout this league desperately trying to get the right formula, the right fit for their clubs than there are those who have achieved it. If only it was as simple as you say. 
I have said before that I don’t know Hughton, I don’t know his character and I don’t know how scarred his recent dismissal has left him. Neither do you or those making the decisions at the club. Surely must see that is why they should be going through a process, rather just handing the keys to the club to someone because they did something right before. 
I wouldn’t want us to buy a 38 year old striker based on his performance when he was 25, unless you could see how he shaped up, what he was looking to achieve etc like SC did with Wilbraham. 

I think Lansdown will only appoint someone who wants to the come to the club entirely of their own accord. I think he’s still got his fingers burnt a bit from the last time he had to ‘Sell the Club’ to bring in a manager with Coppell. 

46 minutes ago, TonyTonyTony said:

Actions? New stadium, training ground etc etc.

You seem to be complaining about an outcome that you don’t know yet. Chill out fella

Prem, that's what 'ee sed. That Mr Landsdowns. What a marvelous man. Spent all that money. Buyin our Club. Corse, 'ee lives in Jersee. Don't pay any tax mine. Still. Take it easy, what's the rush. 'ave another cydrax. Another Alan Dicks will probably turn up in a 100 years

24 minutes ago, Mr X said:

I think Lansdown will only appoint someone who wants to the come to the club entirely of their own accord. I think he’s still got his fingers burnt a bit from the last time he had to ‘Sell the Club’ to bring in a manager with Coppell. 

What you mean "I don't know why I'm here" Coppell?  We knew that was dodgy. A few phone calls could surely have sorted out that disaster before it happened. 

34 minutes ago, Port Said Red said:

It’s just so much anti Lansdown bullshit, despite being offered the opportunity to do so, you have made no effort to explain what the alternative is to a local man investing millions into the club. Where are the incredibly knowledgeable football chairmen or women who are queueing up to do what he has done?

There are more clubs throughout this league desperately trying to get the right formula, the right fit for their clubs than there are those who have achieved it. If only it was as simple as you say. 
I have said before that I don’t know Hughton, I don’t know his character and I don’t know how scarred his recent dismissal has left him. Neither do you or those making the decisions at the club. Surely must see that is why they should be going through a process, rather just handing the keys to the club to someone because they did something right before. 
I wouldn’t want us to buy a 38 year old striker based on his performance when he was 25, unless you could see how he shaped up, what he was looking to achieve etc like SC did with Wilbraham. 

I don't want him to go mate. I want him to change

17 minutes ago, southvillekiddy said:

Prem, that's what 'ee sed. That Mr Landsdowns. What a marvelous man. Spent all that money. Buyin our Club. Corse, 'ee lives in Jersee. Don't pay any tax mine. Still. Take it easy, what's the rush. 'ave another cydrax. Another Alan Dicks will probably turn up in a 100 years

What does that even mean? You are talking shite and embarrassing yourself.

Archived