IGNORED

Other Manager Options (Merged)

southvillekiddy

Even Mr L had no plan in place before LJ was sacked surely a list of top targets could have been drawn up within a couple of days? Isn’t that what Ashton is paid for or does he genuinely know nothing about football really & simply consults a spreadsheet?
Three or four names would have done, set your priority & sound them out in that order. Mr Gerard, Mr Hughton, Mr Cook, Mr Lowe or whoever else takes their fancy.
I genuinely don’t understand why we don’t have the skill set to be able to head hunt & instead have to rely on this old fashioned CV sift & interview process.
We will reap what we sow & will no doubt end up with a Yes man who allows Ashton to pick the transfers & the Lansdowns to pick the team.

2 minutes ago, LondonBristolian said:

I was sure that had been said by Ashton or someone in the club at some point.

I do think any club, even if they're not actively expecting to change their manager, should have a shortlist in mind of five or six managers they might approach if needed and to keep that updated regularly as managers move in and out of work. There's always a risk managers will go on a bad run and get sacked, or a really good run and get poached, so it seems absurd if there wasn't a clear list in mind.

I'm by no means as wedded to Hughton as some other posters on here - I think there are three or four different routes the club could reasonably go down and realistic potential managers that make a degree of sense within all those routes - but there doesn't seem to be a clear indication the club know what route is that they want. I take @BigTone's point that we don't know what is happening behind the scenes but the little bits being reported imply a degree of confusion over the potential direction. 

Maybe it's the reporters getting confused

The landsdowns and Ashton are the boyfriend

lee Johnson is the girlfriend

After 4.5 years and a few happy memories, in amongst wider disappointment... the boyfriend felt that after several crossroads in the relationship it was finally time to part ways.
This boyfriend was a very loyal and fair partner and only thought it was fair to break up with the girlfriend before redownloading tinder and looking for a new girlfriend. 

this has left the boyfriend alone and rapidly going through all the profiles available and he will eventually settle for only person to respond at 2am on a Tuesday night. 

1 minute ago, Mr Popodopolous said:

I noticed that second bit but couldn't be bothered to type out another section- which would take precedent then?

Impairment.

I think the long and the short of it is, in a very technical sense, in the fullness of time, they could probably viewed as being contemporaneously consistent which is to say not entirely contradictory, in many ways.

Just now, LondonBristolian said:

I was sure that had been said by Ashton or someone in the club at some point.

I do think any club, even if they're not actively expecting to change their manager, should have a shortlist in mind of five or six managers they might approach if needed and to keep that updated regularly as managers move in and out of work. There's always a risk managers will go on a bad run and get sacked, or a really good run and get poached, so it seems absurd if there wasn't a clear list in mind.

I'm by no means as wedded to Hughton as some other posters on here - I think there are three or four different routes the club could reasonably go down and realistic potential managers that make a degree of sense within all those routes - but there doesn't seem to be a clear indication the club know what route is that they want. I take @BigTone's point that we don't know what is happening behind the scenes but the little bits being reported imply a degree of confusion over the potential direction. 

The thing is, the consensus of OTIB opinion is everything that is being 'reported' is all lifted from here as conjecture and rumour anyway. 

We don't know that the job may have been offered to someone already and they have declined, that potentially could apply to multiple names mentioned on here already.

It makes me laugh if Gerrard was number 1 target did they really think he would come to Bristol City?, After signing a new contract in December,Yes it's showing intent but I think we may of set our standards a bit high but we never even made an approach so what's taking three or more weeks to sort out? 

5 minutes ago, Cardy said:

Even Mr L had no plan in place before LJ was sacked surely a list of top targets could have been drawn up within a couple of days? Isn’t that what Ashton is paid for or does he genuinely know nothing about football really & simply consults a spreadsheet?
Three or four names would have done, set your priority & sound them out in that order. Mr Gerard, Mr Hughton, Mr Cook, Mr Lowe or whoever else takes their fancy. I genuinely don’t understand why we don’t have the skill set to be able to head hunt & instead have to rely on this old fashioned CV sift & interview process.
We will reap what we sow & will no doubt end up with a Yes man who allows Ashton to pick the transfers & the Lansdown to pick the team.

Maybe he's unsure of the right time to announce to the masses that its Neil Warnock

I was wondering when due diligence becomes due negligence. With reduced lead time to the new season, transfer market up and running, players who might want to leave. They are making the it harder by the day for who ever gets the job. Add to that the risk that some of the applicants might be lured elsewhere and you really have a crazy situation. Yet they are still hide behind due diligence. 

7 minutes ago, BigTone said:

But none of us know what is happening or what has been done or is being done so all a bit pointless getting ourselves in a knot over it. Assumptions are being made which very likely are way off beam.

Relax, chill, book a 7 day holiday in Spain and put your feet up for 3 weeks.

I tend to agree with this. We don't know that City didn't have a contingency plan. However, those we wanted to speak to were either already employed and were not available to speak until the end of the season, or wished to be non-committal until the end of the season where other opportunities might also be on offer. Its not as if you phone the guy up and ask him down for a cosy chat these days as they've all got agents who will want their fourpenneth of a say. They've probably also got to prepare a 20 minute PowerPoint presentation complete with histograms and pie charts. 

6 minutes ago, LondonBristolian said:

It might well be. We'll see what happens. But I have to admit to feeling less confident about the whole process than I was a week ago. Hope I'll be reassured this week.

We'll be put out of our misery soon enough old chap.

One thing that's become obvious to me, is that people think it's SL who's making the decisions.

Imo...it's not.

He's put Ashton and his son in positions of power...and it's them that are making the decisions and reporting back what's best for the Club.

I believe SL has his preferences, but trusts the aforementioned who have day to day contact to make the decisions and he uses them to prove or disuade his thoughts.

The most powerful person and imo, the one who has the biggest leeway on making the right or wrong decision without retribution straight away, is MA.

He imo has been put in a position of power where only SL has a decision to his future.

Any manager or coach is judged on performance or points.

We just don't know how good MA is at recruitment. Does he get in the players the Coach wants...or is it the 3rd,4th choices? Is the Coach going to openly or publicly complain? I doubt it.

As it stands with our set up...Ashton is the main man with recruitment and negotiations. We don't need a manager...as he does that. We need a Coach. Anyone looking to coach and manage will not fit our system.

That...narrows who comes here.

Anyone coming here has to work under Ashton and agree to his system in place. That for me is the biggest stumbling block for any incoming coach.

Imo...MA has too much influence and not judged in the same way performance wise as the head coach is.

22 minutes ago, Cardy said:

Three or four names would have done, set your priority & sound them out in that order. Mr Gerard, Mr Hughton, Mr Cook, Mr Lowe or whoever else takes their fancy.
I genuinely don’t understand why we don’t have the skill set to be able to head hunt & instead have to rely on this old fashioned CV sift & interview process.
We will reap what we sow & will no doubt end up with a Yes man who allows Ashton to pick the transfers & the Lansdowns to pick the team.

BCFC really should have sorted this quickly. Normally top table management decisions are planned/agreed long before removing the “lame duck” (Johnson). Every day that drags on, just feels to most like more chaos behind the scenes. It is not as if Johnson suddenly left. Plenty had been calling for his head weeks before it happened. Where was the strategy? Will we end up with just a YES man?

If MA and JL are experiencing the sort of negotiations most MDs go through when appointing to a key appointment then there's a possibility that CH's agent has leaked a story of Watford and his client's interest to achieve several aims.

More money for the transfer fund than we have outlined.

More salary than we've offered.

I think CH will sign  but the waiting is tough.

37 minutes ago, BigTone said:

But none of us know what is happening or what has been done or is being done so all a bit pointless getting ourselves in a knot over it. Assumptions are being made which very likely are way off beam.

Relax, chill, book a 7 day holiday in Spain and put your feet up for 3 weeks.

I’m in no knot over it, @BigTone. I just think of all the assumptions to make, the most likely is that no contingency plan was in place after sacking LJ.

If they did have a list of suitable candidates lined up, it’s highly unlikely that, say, a list of four or five of them have either turned it down, are self-isolating or whatever in the last four weeks.

5 minutes ago, tin said:

I’m in no knot over it, @BigTone. I just think of all the assumptions to make, the most likely is that no contingency plan was in place after sacking LJ.

If they did have a list of suitable candidates lined up, it’s highly unlikely that, say, a list of four or five of them have either turned it down, are self-isolating or whatever in the last four weeks.

Why ?

If I was doing due diligence...I'd be looking at the Nketiah saga and judging people on that fiasco. That screamed incompetence to me and set the level to which we eventually finished this season. Whoever screwed that up should be held accountable.

32 minutes ago, spudski said:

One thing that's become obvious to me, is that people think it's SL who's making the decisions.

Imo...it's not.

He's put Ashton and his son in positions of power...and it's them that are making the decisions and reporting back what's best for the Club.

I believe SL has his preferences, but trusts the aforementioned who have day to day contact to make the decisions and he uses them to prove or disuade his thoughts.

The most powerful person and imo, the one who has the biggest leeway on making the right or wrong decision without retribution straight away, is MA.

He imo has been put in a position of power where only SL has a decision to his future.

Any manager or coach is judged on performance or points.

We just don't know how good MA is at recruitment. Does he get in the players the Coach wants...or is it the 3rd,4th choices? Is the Coach going to openly or publicly complain? I doubt it.

As it stands with our set up...Ashton is the main man with recruitment and negotiations. We don't need a manager...as he does that. We need a Coach. Anyone looking to coach and manage will not fit our system.

That...narrows who comes here.

Anyone coming here has to work under Ashton and agree to his system in place. That for me is the biggest stumbling block for any incoming coach.

Imo...MA has too much influence and not judged in the same way performance wise as the head coach is.

Plausible. Bit weird though. I mean, why would the Lansdowns place so much faith in Mark Ashton?

8 minutes ago, Red Exile said:

Plausible. Bit weird though. I mean, why would the Lansdowns place so much faith in Mark Ashton?

It's been staring us in the face since he was employed. He's paid to make the decisions. SL isn't there day to day. He tells on MA to run the ship and report back what he see's.

Who else is MA accountable to? Only SL.

If MA isn't doing his job, then those under him have to go through him to complain to SL.

On 26/07/2020 at 20:26, TonyTonyTony said:

Nope. You are talking utter drivel. Have a week off

15 hours ago, WayOutWest said:

Yeah I think you are mate. This process seems to be above your head. 

The club will interview. Then decide. Then announce who they have chosen. It will happen when it happens. How on earth can you criticise the club when you have zero facts. 

In the mean time, feel free to run around your front room, like a headless chicken waving your arms in the air shouting disparaging comments about Steve L. 

Thanks for starting a whole new thread on your view that you have posted on numerous other threads. 

Needy much?

I can criticise the Club because of their poor record in signing managers during SLs time, with the exception of Gary Johnson and Steve Cotterill ie. 2 out of 8, plus their present lack of planning and decisiveness with the current vacancy when they had ample time to set up the right replacement.

You've got a wild imagination. Do you run around at home like that?

Bloody hell Mark Ashton, you have a lot to explain. Had a lot of time, and a lot of patience on Hughton's part. Now Bristol City candidate Chris Hughton also interested in Watford job. The club thinking we're a lot bigger than we actually are. Thinking we can mess candidates around. 

Watford will be a lot more of an exciting prospect, more money and squad quality to work with. 

We had the chance, but we pissed around, and now we'll pay the price.

I could be wrong, and I hope I am.

1 minute ago, RedNachos said:

Bloody hell Mark Ashton, you have a lot to explain. Had a lot of time, and a lot of patience on Hughton's part. Now Bristol City candidate Chris Hughton also interested in Watford job. The club thinking we're a lot bigger than we actually are. Thinking we can mess candidates around. 

Watford will be a lot more of an exciting prospect, more money and squad quality to work with. 

We had the chance, but we pissed around, and now we'll pay the price.

I could be wrong, and I hope I am.

How do you know it isn't hughton making us wait?

Archived