IGNORED

Other Manager Options (Merged)

southvillekiddy

Just now, Lrrr said:

So add it in a thread that is already based on the same topic, last day or two there was a topic started titled due diligence 

As a newbie to the site. It wasn't aware I could add threads or merge them.

Something to consider for the future I guess

I'm annoyed that we aren't where we should be with all that we have going for us. Huge potential and catchment area of a million fans ready to follow Premiership football. A famous city with, as we have been reminded recently, wealth built on a dodgy history but still a marvellous place to live. BUT, I would argue, with a limited sense of public good. Private wealth and influence over public good. This was shown in the Ashton Vale Village Green fiasco. 23 selfish and probably influential people with a compliant Inspector convincing our council that what we all knew was a putrifying rubbish tip was in fact a leafy nature haven where cows had safely grazed for centuries. Our pathetic Council fell in with this and Steve must have been well pissed off. In a northern city those objectors would have been given short shrift. That man was attempting to build a World Cup venue, bringing sporting prestige to Bristol.

So yes a great city but limited. A top ten city without Premiership football. Our Club the greatest underachievers in the Football League.

Steve has developed the stadium to near Premiership standard (stupendous in comparison eg. to Bournemouth) so we don't need to cowtow to the pathetic Council. It's in our hands. But the pivotal factor is Steve Lansdown. I don't hate him but I would like him to set himself free. Put your energy into advertising/promoting the Club nationally and internationally, attract a top (foreign) coach and leave the football to the football people

1 minute ago, hail gus cesaer said:

Which is the same as been discussed on other threads!

Is it really that much of an issue to raise this topic? If it causes people such concern, simply read and ignore, or better still don't read it at all

It seems odd that when I've raised genuine concerns the response is so negative, essentially bin it or don't bother 

1 minute ago, Matthew me said:

As a newbie to the site. It wasn't aware I could add threads or merge them.

Something to consider for the future I guess

Not add or merge threads etc just add your post as a comment in that thread to begin with rather than starting a new thread. Its a case when the forum is busier it stops loads of threads on similar topics appearing ?

16 minutes ago, Monkeh said:

So we should close down the academy then as there is no point in letting the younger players compete for places

We also should never sign unknown players who have never been tried at a higher level? We should only spend millions on proven players at this level like tomlin and never take a chance on a lower league player like vardy or Watkins were......

Bentley was reliable and won us point on his own with his performances, yes he made the odd mistake but he was far more reliable then most our previous keepers,

Yeah... that's really what I said...

It feels to me like the club is ran by people who are good business men but have little knowledge in football. You can't run a football club purely as a business. 

Do we have any ex professional players in the board? Don't think we do and think that's a big problem.

For our transfer policy to work we need to have an agreed style of play, a bit like the England DNA plan. This would also help in recruiting a manager. 

We seem to have a long list of candidates all of whom seem to be vastly different which really worries me. Wouldn't be surprised if the one who does the best PowerPoint presentation at the interview gets the job.

5 minutes ago, Matthew me said:

As the process to find our new manager quickly approaches one month, I think we need to be frank and pragmatic about the way it's been conducted. 

We had the chance to appoint a new manager and give him time to review the squad, manage players contracts, settle in the area and plan a complete pre-season.  By delaying the process, the players are now on sunbeds in Greece, whilst others are left without any direction regarding contract renewals / extensions next year. Surely that's not a good way to end a season, especially when the new one starts in seven weeks.

I can totally understand the club wanting to conduct a full and comprehensive interview process. But how long does it take to interview three or four people? - If we have really interviewed EIGHT people, that shows how disconnected we are to the game. Any club should know the basics about managers available, their DNA, performance, pedigree etc. Are we saying that eight managers are all potentially suitable?? - I find that concerning.

My best guess is as follows. We fired LJ on a whim, not planned for weeks. A knee jerk reaction once the dream of finishing sixth eventually went out the window. If it was planned for weeks, we should of prepared a candidate list ready to contact. It would of been great for the new manager to finish the season with the current squad and see them play in the flesh. Learn about them personally. Sorry to say, video clips aren't quite the same....

It feels like we've had one name at the top of the list ( Gerrard ) who's teased us and played along for a few weeks, and now we have to accept it's not happening and it's been a rush to look at list of candidates. Having to meet EIGHT suggests our due diligence is exceptionally poor!.... We should know far more about what's available in the market before we fire the current manager!

Sadly, I fear CH will end up at Watford, Gerrard stays and Rangers and we end up with Cowleys.... Let's see. But regardless of the above, I seriously have questions about how we've gone about this process. I bet I'm not alone, imagine the conversation between players as they're sat on the beach.... No clue who's coming next and what the future holds.  

Looking at all your points I accept it's your opinion and is probably shared by many fans out there but mine is respectfully different.

The thing is we have no idea who we wanted to interview. I understand your point about bedding in the squad but would one or two weeks have done a huge amount. Like you said we have 7 weeks and a preseason within that. Most managers don't have that luxury when taking over.

That question is only being raised because we sacked our manager with 4 games to go and didn't hold off to the end of season like most clubs with that in mind.

Who's to say we weren't waiting for the end of the Premier League to finish to approach a manager there or even another foreign league?

Although of course the manager/coach has a say on contract renewals but I would imagine our club like many nowadays that side of the business is mostly decided by the Mark Ashton types so still will be ongoing. For all MA's shortcomings he's always been good at negotiations from an outside prospective in terms of fees from others clubs ect.

I personally think Chris Houghton isn't our number one target and never has been. It's just been a fans passion merchant signing that has developed into media hysteria. I still think we will be operating with a head coach instead. Also on that point - Gerrard has recently come out said he's had no contact from anyone at Bristol City.

I also don't believe this 8 candidates list is accurate. I'm not having a dig at the BP but they mentioned they suspected it was made up of CH (reported by every tom, dick and Harry), Robbie Fowler (only because he said he'd applied with to us with Birmingham City publicly, someone foreign (nod to that Daum bloke who publicly said he was interested) and Dean Holden. They are in the dark as much as us and again that's a good thing.

I like everyone feel anxious about getting in our new manager but just because we've taken our time doesn't mean we haven't made the best decision. Time will tell.

24 minutes ago, Matthew me said:

As the process to find our new manager quickly approaches one month, I think we need to be frank and pragmatic about the way it's been conducted. 

We had the chance to appoint a new manager and give him time to review the squad, manage players contracts, settle in the area and plan a complete pre-season.  By delaying the process, the players are now on sunbeds in Greece, whilst others are left without any direction regarding contract renewals / extensions next year. Surely that's not a good way to end a season, especially when the new one starts in seven weeks.

I can totally understand the club wanting to conduct a full and comprehensive interview process. But how long does it take to interview three or four people? - If we have really interviewed EIGHT people, that shows how disconnected we are to the game. Any club should know the basics about managers available, their DNA, performance, pedigree etc. Are we saying that eight managers are all potentially suitable?? - I find that concerning.

My best guess is as follows. We fired LJ on a whim, not planned for weeks. A knee jerk reaction once the dream of finishing sixth eventually went out the window. If it was planned for weeks, we should of prepared a candidate list ready to contact. It would of been great for the new manager to finish the season with the current squad and see them play in the flesh. Learn about them personally. Sorry to say, video clips aren't quite the same....

It feels like we've had one name at the top of the list ( Gerrard ) who's teased us and played along for a few weeks, and now we have to accept it's not happening and it's been a rush to look at list of candidates. Having to meet EIGHT suggests our due diligence is exceptionally poor!.... We should know far more about what's available in the market before we fire the current manager!

Sadly, I fear CH will end up at Watford, Gerrard stays and Rangers and we end up with Cowleys.... Let's see. But regardless of the above, I seriously have questions about how we've gone about this process. I bet I'm not alone, imagine the conversation between players as they're sat on the beach.... No clue who's coming next and what the future holds.  

A whim? Ha!.......Ah!   So your a glass half empty kind of guy?.............Do we really need more pointless conjecture from someone who has absolutely no idea what is going on behind the scenes?  Lets leave it to the professionals and our Billionaire chairman shall we?

7 minutes ago, Eddie Notgetinya said:

I respect your opinion but I think this post is ridiculous.

I’d much rather have a stable owner than some of the mad men out there.

SL built us the stadium and has our club well run with no danger of us going into administartion.

We are closing in on the premier league. Be careful what you wish for. 

They're not exclusive mate - you can appoint a top foreign coach, qualified to give us Premiership football, while still remaining stable as an owner.

7 minutes ago, MATT BCFC said:

Think he just needs to get rid of MA and get someone who actually understands football in that role to be honest. 

Could be a lot in that. How much does MA know? You have to know a lot about football to recognise someone who knows even more than you do.

1 minute ago, Eddie Notgetinya said:

He might be doing just that. I don’t think being Foreign brings any garuntees 

True. But look at the top managers in the Prem and the championship for that matter.

4 minutes ago, southvillekiddy said:

Could be a lot in that. How much does MA know? You have to know a lot about football to recognise someone who knows even more than you do.

I think it would help to have someone in the director of football role who has experience of playing the game and also being at a bigger club than us personally. 

41 minutes ago, southvillekiddy said:

Biased isn't quite the right word for me mate. I'm annoyed that we aren't where we should be with all that we have going for us. Huge potential and catchment area of a million fans ready to follow Premiership football. A famous city with, as we have been reminded recently, wealth built on a dodgy history but still a marvellous place to live. BUT, I would argue, with a limited sense of public good. Private wealth and influence over public good. This was shown in the Ashton Vale Village Green fiasco. 23 selfish and probably influential people with a compliant Inspector convincing our council that what we all knew was a putrifying rubbish tip was in fact a leafy nature haven where cows had safely grazed for centuries. Our pathetic Council fell in with this and Steve must have been well pissed off. In a northern city those objectors would have been given short shrift. That man was attempting to build a World Cup venue, bringing sporting prestige to Bristol.

So yes a great city but limited. A top ten city without Premiership football. Our Club the greatest underachievers in the Football League.

Steve has developed the stadium to near Premiership standard (stupendous in comparison to Bournemouth) so we don't need to cowtow to the pathetic Council. It's in our hands. But the pivotal factor is Steve Lansdown. I don't hate him but I would like him to set himself free. Promote the Club nationally and internationally, attract a top (foreign) coach and leave the football to the football people

You won't get me disagreeing with you on a lot of what you've just said. VG was a loophole that was exploited. Council, don't get me started.

I think City are on the cusp of Premiership football, the question is can someone give it the little nudge that is needed?

Once there, then I suspect that we'll be able to start doing effective headhunting. Until then, just going to need a little bit of patience with the football gods.

On 27/07/2020 at 09:12, Red Exile said:

If you can contribute nothing more than this, and have such contempt for other forum members, why don't you give it a break?

I don't think its him that needs to give it a break

18 minutes ago, southvillekiddy said:

I'm annoyed that we aren't where we should be with all that we have going for us. Huge potential and catchment area of a million fans ready to follow Premiership football. A famous city with, as we have been reminded recently, wealth built on a dodgy history but still a marvellous place to live. BUT, I would argue, with a limited sense of public good. Private wealth and influence over public good. This was shown in the Ashton Vale Village Green fiasco. 23 selfish and probably influential people with a compliant Inspector convincing our council that what we all knew was a putrifying rubbish tip was in fact a leafy nature haven where cows had safely grazed for centuries. Our pathetic Council fell in with this and Steve must have been well pissed off. In a northern city those objectors would have been given short shrift. That man was attempting to build a World Cup venue, bringing sporting prestige to Bristol.

Steve has developed the stadium to near Premiership standard (stupendous in comparison eg. to Bournemouth) so we don't need to cowtow to the pathetic Council. It's in our hands. But the pivotal factor is Steve Lansdown. I don't hate him but I would like him to set himself free. Put your energy into advertising/promoting the Club nationally and internationally, attract a top (foreign) coach and leave the football to the football people

I love that you say 'I don't hate him but I would like him to set himself free' thats easy to say when it's not YOUR money. He must of invested atleast 100 million plus, has seen our stadium redeveloped, top tier new training facility on the way, has established us as solid Championship team as apposed to only a few years ago of league one underachievers and the odd yo-yo up and back down. Record signing fees speculated and accumulated. Exponentially increased our revenue streams to try and build sustainability as opposed to throwing money at a club that can't support the success without constant splash the cash owners like Wigan and QPR in the past. When that owner gets bored and moves on then your left with a club that can't cope and all sorts of issues. He's increased our stature when recruiting managers and staff and there's no signs he's turning his back on us.

I think we've had it so good for such a long time compared to a majority of clubs with our security. I just think some fans believe that we deserve Premier League football somehow because we are always labelled 'sleeping giants' and 'the city deserves top tier football for the size of it' but that status is gained by accomplishments on the pitch and with the precarious nature of football that's very hard to achieve. Not always the best financed can gain success i.e Sheffield United and not always the best teams on the field go up i.e Cardiff compared to Brentford or Leeds in the past.

For us to even have these ambitions of promotion and potential foreign managers or Chris Houghton's or Steven Gerrard's just show how much our club has come on already.

Your ridiculous posts continue. We have an excellent owner, invested a lot in the Club and sport in Bristol, and some self-entitled idiot is moaning, because we have not made the top league, something we have managed for just 4 of the previous 100 years.

I almost started a different thread for this but decided not to.

I think another key thing I'd be interested to know around "due diligence" and "forward planning" is whether the club's nurturing and support for Lee Johnson was a one-off or whether we support other ex-players with managerial aspirations.

There are obviously former players like Dyche and Moyes who have gone on to have very good managerial careers and there must be players who've been at the club in recent years who aspire to move into management in the future. For example, I know Liam Rosenior is a coach at Derby and is clearly a very intelligent and articulate guy in interviews and articles who has a clear vision of the game. We don't know how he'd be as a manager and I'm certainly not suggesting he should currently be in the frame but I do think, when there is a former player looking to move into management  who looks like they could have a bit of an aptitude, we ought to be keeping contact with them, offering advice and support where possible and trying to create a situation where, if they had got some experience five or ten years down the line, they've got a favourable view of the club and a relationship that might encourage them to join us. I think it's not just about planning for now but also keeping tabs for the future. 

2 hours ago, Red Skin said:

I'm not saying 'appoint' but as other have said they should have been planning for succession from LJ in the same way they do with players.  Compiling some sort of dossier on his achievements on and off pitch, speaking to others in the game who have worked with them etc.  This could be done for those still in post too.  That way we can act quickly when we need to, and focus on the coaches we sussed out.  Maybe all this has been done and we'll find out soon?

My biggest concern in all this is I think there is something missing from our model.   LJ seems to have been the one defining our identity, when it should be someone other than the current coach i.e. a DoF.  Otherwise the new manager will have his own view on the model.

The suggestion was scoffed at but someone like Glen Hoddle would be a great director of football.  This role should be away from the pressure of days to day results so even someone like him (and I'm not saying it should be him) with his health issues should not be under any pressure.  

We will have information on managers. Why do you think we don’t. If we’d had someone lined up and ready to appoint 6 weeks ago we could’ve missed the perfect candidate leaving a club at the end of the season. I don’t get people’s issue, just an excuse to bash the club it seems

Archived