IGNORED

Other Manager Options (Merged)

southvillekiddy

10 minutes ago, Fuber said:

Evans killed Ipswich. McCarthy was single handedly keeping them in CH for years while cutting costs and no reinvestment.

This is true BUT I question whether he, and maybe a great bulk of managers, could've kept them up in 2018/19.

In summer 2018:

Waghorn- Sold

Garner- Sold

McGoldrick- Left on a free.

Celina- Loan not renewed. Same with Carter-Vickers. 

Webster- Sold. He wasn't necessarily a key player however in 2017/18.

The first 4 though, goals and assists...McCarthy would've struggled with what they had left. Likewise Hurst may have done not so bad had he retains the above!

1 hour ago, MC RISK77 said:

Really? Thought he did a good job myself but maybe in a minority, they got rid of him after finishing comfortably then brought in guest who took then down next season

I live in Ipswich and believe me he bored the locals to death. Season ticket holders were leaving in their droves. True what followed was a disaster but the damage was already done- Mick had good money to spend wasted it and Marcus Evans closed the cheque book and went AWOL.

If you think we have had a depressing year you ought to see my Ipswich mates. Top at Christmas they missed the play offs - have tried not to laugh too much ? 

1 minute ago, Mr Popodopolous said:

This is true BUT I question whether he, and maybe a great bulk of managers, could've kept them up in 2018/19.

In summer 2018:

Waghorn- Sold

Garner- Sold

McGoldrick- Left on a free.

Celina- Loan not renewed. Same with Carter-Vickers. 

Webster- Sold. He wasn't necessarily a key player however.

The first 4 though, goals and assists...McCarthy would've struggled with what they had left. Likewise Hurst may have done not so bad had he retains the above!

Would that have happened had McCarthy stayed?

Waghorn, gone - but who would MM have signed? Garner was on a downward trajectory at 30, good business to sell. McGoldrick didn't want to sign a new deal and had been injured a fair bit the previous season.

Webster - McCarthy signed him and was willing to make him vice captain had injuries permitted. Don't think he would have been as willing to sell. He was eyeing Matt Clarke in January before he was sacked.

it would have possibly been a step to far, but they signed some utter shite under Hurst, who was well out of his depth.

6 minutes ago, Suffolk Red said:

I live in Ipswich and believe me he bored the locals to death. Season ticket holders were leaving in their droves. True what followed was a disaster but the damage was already done- Mick had good money to spend wasted it and Marcus Evans closed the cheque book and went AWOL.

If you think we have had a depressing year you ought to see my Ipswich mates. Top at Christmas they missed the play offs - have tried not to laugh too much ? 

What a load of twaddle - Mick had less than a million pounds per season to spend on transfer fees whilst at Ipswich - he was there for six years and over that six year period he was given £5m in total to spend on transfer fees - how the hell is that “had good money to spend, wasted it” - utter rubbish ...

11 minutes ago, Fuber said:

Would that have happened had McCarthy stayed?

Waghorn, gone - but who would MM have signed? Garner was on a downward trajectory at 30, good business to sell. McGoldrick didn't want to sign a new deal and had been injured a fair bit the previous season.

Webster - McCarthy signed him and was willing to make him vice captain had injuries permitted. Don't think he would have been as willing to sell. He was eyeing Matt Clarke in January before he was sacked.

it would have possibly been a step to far, but they signed some utter shite under Hurst, who was well out of his depth.

The number of goals out the team in one summer though, that's catastrophic. 

Quite happy to pull up the stats later, but think they lost all but 20 goals IIRC.

7 minutes ago, BS4 on Tour... said:

What a load of twaddle - Mick had less than a million pounds per season to spend on transfer fees whilst at Ipswich - he was there for six years and over that six year period he was given £5m in total to spend on transfer fees - how the hell is that “had good money to spend, wasted it” - utter rubbish ...

Expenditure on transfers is only one part of the equation however.

Similar wage budget to Preston, Millwall, Sheffield United, Brentford in 2017/18?

Would have to check the graph earlier but I'm sure in 2017/18 it was within a similar range.

He certainly wasn't well resourced but you can argue these things a few ways.

Regardless of my serious concerns about the delay in appointment and the appeared lack of planning. I think we all need to remember that SL wants success more than any of us. He's invested huge sums of money and time to help our club. He's not doing it for personal gain! 

Does it appear we've made some poor choices over the years.. yes!.... Was LJ given too long... Yes!... Do we need football people making football decisions.... Yes!

But trust me, SL will feel the pain more than us. He wants success for our club. Let's back the new man, whoever he is. Know that SL will be offering the job to the candidate he genuinely feels is the best fit...

If it works out, great!... If it doesn't , I hope he has the vision to appoint some football experts to make these appointments in the future. We could learn plenty from the Brentford model.

Up the reds, let's try and stay upbeat 

Thanks SL for continuing to invest into our shared passion 

Not doubting his commitment and desire, but for such a successful business man he seems to take a while to learn from his football mistakes.  Still very thankful he's involved with our club. 

I guess I'm hopeful he'll learn from the rugby and see the merits of recruiting an experienced coach.  

1 minute ago, Red Skin said:

Not doubting his commitment and desire, but for such a successful business man he seems to take a while to learn from his football mistakes.  Still very thankful he's involved with our club. 

I guess I'm hopeful he'll learn from the rugby and see the merits of recruiting an experienced coach.  

Let's hope this time he's nailed it. If not, we have to look for a DOF or someone to sit on the recruitment board. 

48 minutes ago, Matthew me said:

Regardless of my serious concerns about the delay in appointment and the appeared lack of planning. I think we all need to remember that SL wants success more than any of us. He's invested huge sums of money and time to help our club. He's not doing it for personal gain! 

Does it appear we've made some poor choices over the years.. yes!.... Was LJ given too long... Yes!... Do we need football people making football decisions.... Yes!

But trust me, SL will feel the pain more than us. He wants success for our club. Let's back the new man, whoever he is. Know that SL will be offering the job to the candidate he genuinely feels is the best fit...

If it works out, great!... If it doesn't , I hope he has the vision to appoint some football experts to make these appointments in the future. We could learn plenty from the Brentford model.

Up the reds, let's try and stay upbeat 

Thanks SL for continuing to invest into our shared passion 

I never understand comments like this either by the person or on behalf of the person.

Why would he feel the pain more than “us”?

5 hours ago, Lrrr said:

Yeah for me he just makes sense, take what he's doing at Preston and amplify the budget and allow him to recruit the players he wants rather than being given a fraction to reinvest, makes sense from both sides imo. There is a rumoured £3m release clause in his contract that expires in 2 years, but nothing to say that Preston wouldn't be open to accepting a lower amount.

It's understood up here that it's £2.5m.

Still decent money for a manager regardless.

I have been saying for the last few years that if Johnson were ever to leave (and I began to believe that he never would), Mark Robins would be his replacement.

I have allowed myself to doubt it in the last few weeks due to the rumours. Two weeks ago it seemed to be a new favourite every day. Now it seems to be every six ****ing hours.

It's now at the point where I think that I have gone full circle. Why is it taking so long?...

... because we are trying to prise someone away from their current club.

6 hours ago, Sweeneys Penalties said:

I have a nagging feeling that it's going to be someone from the continent. 

Leonardo Johnsenio? Looks like LJ, but with a big, drooping mustache.

Am I the only one who thinks that the only thing you need to do to become manager, is to be adopted by Gary?

7 hours ago, BS4 on Tour... said:

Thanks mate I thought I hadn’t imagined that he kept them very competitive on a shoestring budget!!! Think Mick would be a safe pair of hands who with the backing Johnson had could push us on.

I am starting to think the club might be losing the upper hand. 

By getting rid of LJ opened up the managerial market early.  The "out of work" would have been easy accessible and discussions quick fire. Decisions on "go" "no go" to proceed had.

Then the club had to wait until the end of the season to approach "contracted managers". This is a little more difficult. Unofficially discussions followed by official approaches.  More time on top of more time. 

When I commended the club for acting swiftly on the axe of LJ, I am beginning to think it's working against them.

Now at the end of the season, they can in all good conscience allow a level playing field for candidate interviews. 

The short list (long list) process should be nearing its conclusion and an announcement imminent. Problem is other positions are becoming available and those same candidates are going through the very same process at other clubs. 

Honestly I love football.... But who would want to actually work in the industry. It must be a nightmare.

Still got my fingers crossed they get their man, twice removed, offered, re-offered, rejected and back on, back off again.. he is signing for who???? Yep his is going to sign... Nope yes.. it's done ... Which one... "OUR FIRST CHOICE" of course... Oh yeah him... Remind me who again ? ??

6 hours ago, Red Skin said:

I think that's what he's trying to do

7 hours ago, Davefevs said:

I never understand comments like this either by the person or on behalf of the person.

Why would he feel the pain more than “us”?

Because all his decisions are judged, everything he does is in the public eye...

He's lost millions chasing the dream

And you and I don't get slated on forums every time we do something to help the club

Most of us spend £400 a year on a ST and then moan all year. He spends £10m and gets slated most weeks.

So yes, I think the pain is more for him

2 minutes ago, Matthew me said:

Because all his decisions are judged, everything he does is in the public eye...

He's lost millions chasing the dream

And you and I don't get slated on forums every time we do something to help the club

Most of us spend £400 a year on a ST and then moan all year. He spends £10m and gets slated most weeks.

So yes, I think the pain is more for him

Maybe his ego is a bit more exposed...but it also gets boosts when things go well.

However I never understand the suggestion - which is regularly made - that the volume of his investment makes it more personally significant to him, and hurts him more than our comparatively meagre efforts. According to the Sunday Times rich list last year SL was worth £1.72 billion. £10m doesn't make much of a dent in that does it?...or even £100m. Whereas £400 is a fair amount for most City fans.

I appreciate SL's efforts, but he wanted to own the club. He gets the praise when things go well, and I'm sure expects questions to be asked when they don't.

1 hour ago, RedorDead BCFC said:

Slavisa Jokanovic Is the one I’m hoping we are holding out on. Can’t see us paying out what would be needed, but I’m starting to think it is someone taking a lot of negotiating with. 

I think it’s Neil for the reasons you’ve stated , compensation to be agreed with Preston. @Lrrrand @pnefcokhave mentioned release clause above 

Archived