IGNORED

Other Manager Options (Merged)

southvillekiddy

Neil is a good shout, been level with us in the table almost all season, whilst complaining about not being backed properly. Been promoted from this league before. Seems like he would fit between Hughton and Cook in a ranked list of candidates to be honest. Also still pretty young as a manager (39) which might fit our "mould"

37 minutes ago, Matthew me said:

Because all his decisions are judged, everything he does is in the public eye...

He's lost millions chasing the dream

And you and I don't get slated on forums every time we do something to help the club

Most of us spend £400 a year on a ST and then moan all year. He spends £10m and gets slated most weeks.

So yes, I think the pain is more for him

Steve has done many great things for the club, stadium, training grounds, etc.

But the reason he spends £10m a year. Is mainly down to his poor footballing decisions. The butt stops with SL nobody else.

53 minutes ago, Red Exile said:

Maybe his ego is a bit more exposed...but it also gets boosts when things go well.

However I never understand the suggestion - which is regularly made - that the volume of his investment makes it more personally significant to him, and hurts him more than our comparatively meagre efforts. According to the Sunday Times rich list last year SL was worth £1.72 billion. £10m doesn't make much of a dent in that does it?...or even £100m. Whereas £400 is a fair amount for most City fans.

I appreciate SL's efforts, but he wanted to own the club. He gets the praise when things go well, and I'm sure expects questions to be asked when they don't.

Yes, but his wealth is mostly paper money so can't go and draw out £1.7bn on his debit card.

That said, I wouldn't mind his problem.

1 hour ago, YGBjammy said:

Neil is a good shout, been level with us in the table almost all season, whilst complaining about not being backed properly. Been promoted from this league before. Seems like he would fit between Hughton and Cook in a ranked list of candidates to be honest. Also still pretty young as a manager (39) which might fit our "mould"

The move in the betting suggests that he may be one of the 'others'. Into 5/1 3rd fav with Skybet having been 16/1 yesterday.

2 hours ago, Matthew me said:

Because all his decisions are judged, everything he does is in the public eye...

And you and I don't get slated on forums every time we do something to help the club

Most of us spend £400 a year on a ST and then moan all year. He spends £10m and gets slated most weeks.

Let’s be honest, he’s probably lost more money down the back of his sofa than most of us earn in a year, so the financial pain isn’t that great.  Don’t forget, although he’s spent a fortune, that money isn’t all lost, as he still has the financial assets.

As for.other pain, I’d say fans who’ve supported this club for numerous decades are feeling far more accumulated pain than he has in his significantly shorter time at the club.

I’d say his overriding sense is probably more frustration, as it must be tough to see even idiots like Vincent Tann occasionally getting footballing matters right, when for all of his considerable efforts and dedication, SL just can’t do it, even though he’s managed it with the rugby club.

There’s no doubt we’re very fortunate to have him though and let’s just hope the current delays are just him being super careful that the next appointment is the right one. 

5 hours ago, MC RISK77 said:

Thanks mate I thought I hadn’t imagined that he kept them very competitive on a shoestring budget!!! Think Mick would be a safe pair of hands who with the backing Johnson had could push us on.

Mick has a fine track record punctuated with success whilst working under exceptional financial constraints (Wolves and Ipswich) - we could do a lot worse

12 hours ago, BS4 on Tour... said:

What a load of twaddle - Mick had less than a million pounds per season to spend on transfer fees whilst at Ipswich - he was there for six years and over that six year period he was given £5m in total to spend on transfer fees - how the hell is that “had good money to spend, wasted it” - utter rubbish ...

In one season he spent over 3 million in fees but brought in 17+ players (what did that cost in wages and agents fees ), then they played absolutely terribly and Marcus "the mysterious" Evans closed his wallet. They grew to hate Mick and his negative tactics at Ipswich and you're advocating him,  there must be better than him surely!

3 hours ago, YGBjammy said:

Agree with you there ?

3 hours ago, Matthew me said:

Trust me, he hasn’t lost millions.....he’s very astutely invested that money in “Bristol City” that will give him a very tidy return if he sells the club.  Think land and stadium!!

I’m very grateful for his financial support and what he’s done for South Bristol, but he isn’t giving it away, even if it looks that way in the books.

And I still don’t think he feels more pain than many fans, the same amount quite possibly, but not more.

Fans might not invest as much money like SL has, but they invest their Heart, time and their own money (at a different level) too.

30 minutes ago, Davefevs said:

Trust me, he hasn’t lost millions.....he’s very astutely invested that money in “Bristol City” that will give him a very tidy return if he sells the club.  Think land and stadium!!

I’m very grateful for his financial support and what he’s done for South Bristol, but he isn’t giving it away, even if it looks that way in the books.

And I still don’t think he feels more pain than many fans, the same amount quite possibly, but not more.

Fans might not invest as much money like SL has, but they invest their Heart, time and their own money (at a different level) too.

When someone's decisions are in the public domain, your son is the CEO and you've invested millions, I suspect it's fair to say he wants it more than us. It's professional pride, passion and financial impact all together. 

People like us don't have thousands of fans having a pop at us and our families for what we do.

Just because we buy a ticket and a scarf, that's not comparable. Sorry, I think you're wrong. This guy wants and needs this badly

6 minutes ago, Matthew me said:

When someone's decisions are in the public domain, your son is the CEO and you've invested millions, I suspect it's fair to say he wants it more than us. It's professional pride, passion and financial impact all together. 

People like us don't have thousands of fans having a pop at us and our families for what we do.

Just because we buy a ticket and a scarf, that's not comparable. Sorry, I think you're wrong. This guy wants and needs this badly

Does Maggie know ?

2 hours ago, Matthew me said:

It’s not “fair to say” though is it.  You are stating something about “felling the pain” more than us with no factual basis.  Try having your reasoning with Jerry the SLO, or any other “diehard”.

so what, what’s the relevance to “pain” level.

not badly enough to take our FFP position to the limits of compliance?  Ok, that’s a crap argument, but it no less valid than your claims either.

it’s a futile argument you are positioning...it’s immeasurable, it’s not based on any fact, nor is a comparison possible.  That’s what I am arguing.

7 hours ago, WayOutWest said:

I am starting to think the club might be losing the upper hand. 

By getting rid of LJ opened up the managerial market early.  The "out of work" would have been easy accessible and discussions quick fire. Decisions on "go" "no go" to proceed had.

Then the club had to wait until the end of the season to approach "contracted managers". This is a little more difficult. Unofficially discussions followed by official approaches.  More time on top of more time. 

When I commended the club for acting swiftly on the axe of LJ, I am beginning to think it's working against them.

Now at the end of the season, they can in all good conscience allow a level playing field for candidate interviews. 

The short list (long list) process should be nearing its conclusion and an announcement imminent. Problem is other positions are becoming available and those same candidates are going through the very same process at other clubs. 

Honestly I love football.... But who would want to actually work in the industry. It must be a nightmare.

Still got my fingers crossed they get their man, twice removed, offered, re-offered, rejected and back on, back off again.. he is signing for who???? Yep his is going to sign... Nope yes.. it's done ... Which one... "OUR FIRST CHOICE" of course... Oh yeah him... Remind me who again ? ??

It’s a mess for sure.

I’ve completely lost track of whether we’re on our second 1st choice or third 1st choice now ?

Archived