IGNORED

Other Manager Options (Merged)

southvillekiddy

53 minutes ago, Loco Rojo said:

Did this need another thread?

You can never have too many threads on the same subject

can you? :facepalm:

8 hours ago, Suffolk Red said:

In one season he spent over 3 million in fees but brought in 17+ players (what did that cost in wages and agents fees ), then they played absolutely terribly and Marcus "the mysterious" Evans closed his wallet. They grew to hate Mick and his negative tactics at Ipswich and you're advocating him,  there must be better than him surely!

£3m? Is that all? During his five full seasons at Ipswich Mick brought in over £14m by selling players and 39 of the players he acquired over that time were “free” signings. He rescued a team destined for league one when he arrived and took them to a comfortable 14th place finish. In his next four seasons at Portman Road, Ipswich finished 9th, 6th, 7th and 16th in the Championship - and when he left they were in 12th place. That is an impressive record when his hands were tied financially.

Mick has performed wonders throughout his managerial career, often under severe financial constraints, and his record as boss at Millwall, Sunderland, Wolves, Ipswich and the Republic of Ireland is full of successes.

As for me ‘advocating him’ - my previous post said “we could do a lot worse” - and I believe that. He’s a proven, successful, experienced guy at this level ...

• The title was changed to For all those people that created another thread about our new manager- they are all merged here

And on and on it goes, when will it end nobody knows. How stupid does Ashton/ Lansdown look as the process still carries on. I always thought to run a business you had to be able to make decisions. Our lot seem scared to pick someone. Or is it as some have said, if they wait long enough all the good candidates will have found work and they will appoint Holden and say they had no other choice.

Just now, ChippenhamRed said:

This is getting ridiculous now. Forget due diligence, a process that takes this long is simply not fit for purpose.

Every day that goes by without a manager is another day we slip behind the new season preparations of our rivals.

100% agree. What's it been now, 4 weeks since Johnson was sacked. The season starts in roughly 6 weeks, and we do not have manager/coach in place. This what really frustrates me about this club, nothing is ever easy.

The selection process will not be straightforward because the directors have to find someone who will happily work within the ethos of the club, be available fairly soon and can be persuaded to work with the curtailed budget of this Covid 19 age.  I am absolutely certain that they will be working as effectively as possible to come up with a viable and desirable solution.  Like kids the week before Xmas, we have to be patient whilst the process unfolds.  I hope that some of you guys living close to The Gate are keeping a close eye on the roof!  

3 minutes ago, Bat Fastard said:

The selection process will not be straightforward because the directors have to find someone who will happily work within the ethos of the club, be available fairly soon and can be persuaded to work with the curtailed budget of this Covid 19 age.  I am absolutely certain that they will be working as effectively as possible to come up with a viable and desirable solution.  Like kids the week before Xmas, we have to be patient whilst the process unfolds.  I hope that some of you guys living close to The Gate are keeping a close eye on the roof!  

It would be nice to think the powers that be are spending this idle time looking at themselves and how the ethos of the club needs tweaking, mainly:

• Ashton butts out of choosing which players to sign, only handles transfer/contract negotiations and day-to-day running of the club.
  • Appoint a proven manager/head coach with some form of high level pedigree/experience and back them in the transfer market. 
  • Come up with a long-term succession plan to ensure this painstaking process of appointing a new manager/head coach moves along much quicker in future.

Why oh why are we starting new threads about why it’s taking so long to appoint a new manager.4 weeks now,transfer market open,new contracts to discuss etc thousands of threads, come on otib sort it out or will lose good threads and end up with some no hoper like this one, AGAIN.

5 minutes ago, tin said:

It would be nice to think the powers that be are spending this idle time looking at themselves and how the ethos of the club needs tweaking, mainly:

• Ashton butts out of choosing which players to sign, only handles transfer/contract negotiations and day-to-day running of the club.
  • Appoint a proven manager/head coach with some form of high level pedigree/experience and back them in the transfer market. 
  • Come up with a long-term succession plan to ensure this painstaking process of appointing a new manager/head coach moves along much quicker in future.

Mark Ashton is a very experienced football executive and has steered our transfer policy pretty well over recent years. The point of having a head coach is that he is part of a team and will collude with Mr Ashton and the scouting network to identify and sign players that will fit well within our club.  Managers or head coaches tend to come and go, but Mark Ashton represents continuity. Together with the rest of the board, they will have identified exactly what they want and are setting about doing the right deal.  We have no idea of the complications involved so we just have to stay cool and wait.  There is absolutely no point in ripping up all our successful professional infrastructure just to let a new chap put all of his people in place because if he leaves after a year we are back to square one.

What's the longest time it has ever took a club to appoint a new manager?  This must be getting close to it.

Is it really this tough to replace LJ?

I am reminded of a family member, many years ago, who left his wife and lived by himself for a couple of months.  He realised, to his sorrow that he could find no one better suited and started to date his wife again.  They've been together since and quite happy.

When will SL and the board pick up the phone and start mumbling apologies to Lee???

13 minutes ago, redsocks said:

Why oh why are we taking so long to appoint a new manager.4 weeks now,transfer market open,new contracts to discuss etc come on steve sort it out or will lose Hughton and end up with some no hoper AGAIN.

the ? emoji needs to make a return

Archived