IGNORED

Other Manager Options (Merged)

southvillekiddy

3 minutes ago, Bat Fastard said:

Mark Ashton is a very experienced football executive and has steered our transfer policy pretty well over recent years. The point of having a head coach is that he is part of a team and will collude with Mr Ashton and the scouting network to identify and sign players that will fit well within our club.  Managers or head coaches tend to come and go, but Mark Ashton represents continuity. Together with the rest of the board, they will have identified exactly what they want and are setting about doing the right deal.  We have no idea of the complications involved so we just have to stay cool and wait.  There is absolutely no point in ripping up all our successful professional infrastructure just to let a new chap put all of his people in place because if he leaves after a year we are back to square one.

Has he really though? Seems like we identified a lot of strikers who had no interest in coming here and ended up with at least our 3rd or 4th options in Afobe and Wells in the last 2 windows. Also sold a number of experienced players last minute and either didn't replace them or replaced them poorly. 

He has clearly shortlisted far too many candidates for the next manager and clearly don't have a clue what he wants. Gerrard and Hughton are polar opposites for example! 

His only experience is Oxford and they have done a lot better since be left. 

Talking to a friend last night about the manager situation the one thing I’m worried about is either the board put all there eggs in one basket in getting Gerrard without having a plan b if he said no or we have interviewed Cook and Houghton and they won’t agree to the Bristol sport model and have turned us down and this is why Holden is now in the picture.

It worries me this is dragging on and we’re still no closer and I really hope I’m wrong regarding Cook and Houghton 

36 minutes ago, Bat Fastard said:

The selection process will not be straightforward because the directors have to find someone who will happily work within the ethos of the club, be available fairly soon and can be persuaded to work with the curtailed budget of this Covid 19 age.  I am absolutely certain that they will be working as effectively as possible to come up with a viable and desirable solution.  Like kids the week before Xmas, we have to be patient whilst the process unfolds.  I hope that some of you guys living close to The Gate are keeping a close eye on the roof!  

Strongly suspect you’re right,  

If it really is this difficult to find someone to take on our project, maybe we need to start to question whether it’s the project itself that’s at fault and needs changing.

31 minutes ago, Bat Fastard said:

The selection process will not be straightforward because the directors have to find someone who will happily work within the ethos of the club (Deano! Deano!), be available fairly soon (oh Deano)and can be persuaded to work with the curtailed budget of this Covid 19 age (Ohh DEANO!!).  I am absolutely certain that they will be working as effectively as possible to come up with a viable and desirable solution (Deano).  Like kids the week before Xmas, we have to be patient whilst the process unfolds.  I hope that some of you guys living close to The Gate are keeping a close eye on the roof (...but now just look at me, as I'm looking down at you)!  

40 minutes ago, Bat Fastard said:

The selection process will not be straightforward because the directors have to find someone who will happily work within the ethos of the club, be available fairly soon and can be persuaded to work with the curtailed budget of this Covid 19 age.  I am absolutely certain that they will be working as effectively as possible to come up with a viable and desirable solution.  Like kids the week before Xmas, we have to be patient whilst the process unfolds.  I hope that some of you guys living close to The Gate are keeping a close eye on the roof!  

Those are the key things imho.  Although Hughton is my no1, I do wonder whether (although interested), the stark realities of his budget might not have met his expectations.

@stroud just seems your post ⬆️⬆️⬆️

29 minutes ago, tin said:

It would be nice to think the powers that be are spending this idle time looking at themselves and how the ethos of the club needs tweaking, mainly:

• Ashton butts out of choosing which players to sign, only handles transfer/contract negotiations and day-to-day running of the club.
  • Appoint a proven manager/head coach with some form of high level pedigree/experience and back them in the transfer market. 
  • Come up with a long-term succession plan to ensure this painstaking process of appointing a new manager/head coach moves along much quicker in future.

I doubt there is, but agree there should be a full review.  Unfortunately in football the buck often stops with the manager.  

Talking to a friend last night regarding the manager situation and I feel the board put all there eggs in one basket regarding Gerrard without having a plan b if he said no or we have interviewed Houghton and Cook and they have turned us down as they won’t work with the Bristol Sport Model and this is why Holden is now in the frame.

I really hope I’m worrying over nothing but the longer it drags on the more I’m concerned 

3 minutes ago, BrizzleRed said:

Strongly suspect you’re right,  

If it really is this difficult to find someone to take on our project, maybe we need to start to question whether it’s the project itself that’s at fault and needs changing.

If the basic plan is sound and has been proved to work at City and other clubs, then why change it? The new man may not last and the club needs to be kept stable.

3 minutes ago, Bat Fastard said:

If you had seen all the evidence and listened to the discussions and interviews, you would have to come to a decision. If Deano was the best agreed choice, would you still be opposed?

It's Deano for me, mate. He fits the criteria you laid out, he's mad for it, he's got a song oven-ready, forget sexy-football, we want dexy's football - Deano! Deano! 

Just now, Moments of Pleasure said:

It's Deano for me, mate. He fits the criteria you laid out, he's mad for it, he's got a song oven-ready, forget sexy-football, we want dexy's football - Deano! Deano! 

You may be right and I bow to your undented enthusiasm!

21 minutes ago, Bat Fastard said:

Mark Ashton is a very experienced football executive and has steered our transfer policy pretty well over recent years. The point of having a head coach is that he is part of a team and will collude with Mr Ashton and the scouting network to identify and sign players that will fit well within our club.  Managers or head coaches tend to come and go, but Mark Ashton represents continuity. Together with the rest of the board, they will have identified exactly what they want and are setting about doing the right deal.  We have no idea of the complications involved so we just have to stay cool and wait.  There is absolutely no point in ripping up all our successful professional infrastructure just to let a new chap put all of his people in place because if he leaves after a year we are back to square one.

Ashton's a good football administrator and I respect the work he's done in maximising fees on player sales. That said, I've heard he signed Palmer after LJ had landed his target (Szmodics) and that in my opinion should not happen, hence why he should let the head coach/manager identify the players they want to bring to the football club, not the other way around. I also think Ashton will be off as soon as a job at the Football League comes calling. It's clear that's his goal. 

Look back on my post, I did not advocate ripping it up and starting again. I recommended minor tweaks that, IMO, would improve the running of the football club. 

5 minutes ago, Bat Fastard said:

If the basic plan is sound and has been proved to work at City and other clubs, then why change it? The new man may not last and the club needs to be kept stable.

.... so have we proved it’s sound and worked for us?   Not convinced that that we have

1 minute ago, tin said:

Ashton's a good football administrator and I respect the work he's done in maximising fees on player sales. That said, I've heard he signed Palmer after LJ had landed his target (Szmodics) and that in my opinion should not happen, hence why he should let the head coach/manager identify the players they want to bring to the football club, not the other way around. I also think Ashton will be off as soon as a job at the Football League comes calling. It's clear that's his goal. 

Look back on my post, I did not advocate ripping it up and starting again. I recommended minor tweaks that, IMO, would improve the running of the football club. 

We will never know the ins and outs of various transfers - all we will get are rumours and things that people make up to start those rumours. Mr Ashton has been here for around 5 years and provided excellent leadership. I doubt if he would be paid more by the FL but who knows what will happen in future?

One man may call sacking the coaching staff and scouts as a minor change. I hope that change is kept to a minimum because it does not seem to be that broken that it needs fixing.

4 minutes ago, BrizzleRed said:

.... so have we proved it’s sound and worked for us?   Not convinced that that we have

Year on year progress for several years until the latest hiatus. We all need to keep cool and keep the faith - faith in the board that they will always try and do their very best for our football club.

11 minutes ago, Moments of Pleasure said:

Holden Slumbers fill your eyes...

6 minutes ago, tin said:

But LJ did not play either Palmer or Szmodics !!!!!!!!!

1 minute ago, Bat Fastard said:

Year on year progress for several years until the latest hiatus. We all need to keep cool and keep the faith - faith in the board that they will always try and do their very best for our football club.

Sorry, but we’re polar opposites on this one I’m afraid.

Gaining around half a dozen league places during four and a half years of largely dross football and a hit and miss transfer policy really doesn’t shout success to me, so we’ll have to agree to differ on this one I think.

7 minutes ago, Bat Fastard said:

I could try my very best for the club doesn't mean I would be any good. 

Nothing against the policy to buy young players and look to sell them on but that can't be your only plan or think we will end up back in league one. 

We need to identify what type of footballing side we want to be as well and get players and managers who fit that. 

The fact we have so many different type of candidates on the shortlist I think highlights that the board have no idea what they want and the length of time is taking supports that. 

If we appoint Holden with this fairly inexperienced club and lose Elliasson and Fam I honestly think we will be in a relegation battle. 

Just now, BrizzleRed said:

Sorry, but we’re polar opposites on this one I’m afraid.

Gaining around half a dozen league places during four and a half years of largely dross football and a hit and miss transfer policy really doesn’t shout success to me, so we’ll have to agree to differ on this one I think.

Its OK to disagree. I just think back to a few years ago when we kept changing manager and ended up with a squad that was out of kilter with what we needed. We will just have to be patient and see how it all unfolds. Its not as if we have any say in the matter - and if we did it would be the least informed.

2 minutes ago, MATT BCFC said:

I could try my very best for the club doesn't mean I would be any good. 

Nothing against the policy to buy young players and look to sell them on but that can't be your only plan or think we will end up back in league one. 

We need to identify what type of footballing side we want to be as well and get players and managers who fit that. 

The fact we have so many different type of candidates on the shortlist I think highlights that the board have no idea what they want and the length of time is taking supports that. 

If we appoint Holden with this fairly inexperienced club and lose Elliasson and Fam I honestly think we will be in a relegation battle. 

You may well be right but none of us know what is going on behind the closed door of the boardroom. They may have selected a candidate but are having problems with the contract or from their previous club. Hopefully we will find out very soon and we can get on with supporting the new guy - whoever he is!

57 minutes ago, Eddie Notgetinya said:

Post saying today that the second round of interviews is expected to kick off imminently - I was hoping today was the day, looks like we could be waiting until next week 

If that is the case then truly the Board have let the club and supporters down. If we have the second and then possibly a final interview it could  be another 2 weeks. Truly shameful management.

19 minutes ago, Bat Fastard said:

Just a suggestion as this crap has been going on now for 3 or 4 weeks. Many of us have posted on who is going to get the job. Me included. We must be the laughing stock of any outsiders reading this great forum from out side. Why cant we contain all this crap and see what eventuates from the club in the next few days.

The aspirations of some of us on OTIB has to be let down by idiots posting who the next manager is going to be. 

Lets face it do not pretend and post crap.

let us give a break for a few days and see what eventuates on news at BS3,

COYR 

4 minutes ago, City oz said:

Just a suggestion as this crap has been going on now for 3 or 4 weeks. Many of us have posted on who is going to get the job. Me included. We must be the laughing stock of any outsiders reading this great forum from out side. Why cant we contain all this crap and see what eventuates from the club in the next few days.

The aspirations of some of us on OTIB has to be let down by idiots posting who the next manager is going to be. 

Lets face it do not pretend and post crap.

let us give a break for a few days and see what eventuates on news at BS3,

COYR 

Well written by the guy who is in the best place on earth to chill out and sink a cold one!  I wish we could come over and wait with you!!

11 minutes ago, Bat Fastard said:

Its OK to disagree. I just think back to a few years ago when we kept changing manager and ended up with a squad that was out of kilter with what we needed. We will just have to be patient and see how it all unfolds. Its not as if we have any say in the matter - and if we did it would be the least informed.

But the point is, our squad is ‘out of kilter’ now and we’ve had the same head coach for four and a half years and the management team even longer!

This structure we have is going to put some very good applicants off and I wonder how many people have considered what would happen if Mark Ashton suddenly decided to bugger off.  

He’s now in such a position of power and influence in all areas of the club, this new head coach recruitment fiasco could look like a walk in the park in comparison with having to go out and recruit a replacement for Mark Ashton.

Putting all our eggs in one basket is phrase I’d use for this current structure and I think we could be setting ourselves up for a big fall in the future.

Just now, Bat Fastard said:

Well written by the guy who is in the best place on earth to chill out and sink a cold one!  I wish we could come over and wait with you!!

You are welcome at any time. Any city support visiting Oz and close to my patch is always welcome to share a few beers over a bbq 

Archived