IGNORED

Other Manager Options (Merged)

southvillekiddy

26 minutes ago, tin said:

Ashton's a good football administrator and I respect the work he's done in maximising fees on player sales. That said, I've heard he signed Palmer after LJ had landed his target (Szmodics) and that in my opinion should not happen, hence why he should let the head coach/manager identify the players they want to bring to the football club, not the other way around. I also think Ashton will be off as soon as a job at the Football League comes calling. It's clear that's his goal. 

Look back on my post, I did not advocate ripping it up and starting again. I recommended minor tweaks that, IMO, would improve the running of the football club. 

Not disputing what you state, but I heard Palmer was an LJ signing...hence why he then had to move on Pato.  Perhaps Ashton told 3 sand wedges was 1 too many.  But then....⬇️⬇️⬇️

17 minutes ago, davidoldfart said:

But LJ did not play either Palmer or Szmodics !!!!!!!!!

☹️☹️☹️ bizarre really.

13 minutes ago, MATT BCFC said:

I could try my very best for the club doesn't mean I would be any good. 

Nothing against the policy to buy young players and look to sell them on but that can't be your only plan or think we will end up back in league one. 

We need to identify what type of footballing side we want to be as well and get players and managers who fit that. 

The fact we have so many different type of candidates on the shortlist I think highlights that the board have no idea what they want and the length of time is taking supports that. 

If we appoint Holden with this fairly inexperienced club and lose Elliasson and Fam I honestly think we will be in a relegation battle. 

I think Eliasson and Diedhiou are gone, whoever we appoint.  Hope I’m wrong.  I was hoping new manager would have a plan for both, and they would extend their contracts, but it looks very unlikely.

3 minutes ago, BrizzleRed said:

But the point is, our squad is ‘out of kilter’ now and we’ve had the same head coach for four and a half years and the management team even longer!

This structure we have is going to put some very good applicants off and I wonder how many people have considered what would happen if Mark Ashton suddenly decided to bugger off.  

He’s now in such a position of power and influence in all areas of the club, this new head coach recruitment fiasco could look like a walk in the park in comparison with having to go out and recruit a replacement for Mark Ashton.

Putting all our eggs in one basket is phrase I’d use for this current structure and I think we could be setting ourselves up for a big fall in the future.

There will be departures and there will be new arrivals - only then will we know if the squad is right or not. I guess that the spadework has already been done by the scouting network and the final choice will be as the result of discussions with the new head coach.

It is always interesting to hear other managers talk about our club and how many who say that we are very well run and a "proper football club.  I think that we are pretty good and have good people making the decisions.  We just need to keep the faith.

7 minutes ago, City oz said:

You are welcome at any time. Any city support visiting Oz and close to my patch is always welcome to share a few beers over a bbq 

A wonderful and very kind offer. Us fans are now clubbing together to charter a jumbo jet and we hope to with you next week to celebrate our new head coach!  Top man!!

3 minutes ago, Bat Fastard said:

A wonderful and very kind offer. Us fans are now clubbing together to charter a jumbo jet and we hope to with you next week to celebrate our new head coach!  Top man!!

Lets book it in. Can’t wait. Lets me know the numbers so i can organise enough snags and bread rolls. I did plan to get some more LPG for the BBQ from Bunnings tomorrow any way. 

On my days off i usually start with a few tinnies around 10.00am then have a few nibbles and then progress to the red wine.

The BBQ is then fired up early arvo and then me and my mates then argue who is in control. We then put my Sonos on and listen to pommie radio stations. 

I can accomodate up to about 30 sleeping on my deck  with swags.

Next morning we can fish off of the beach and drink more tinnies 

18 minutes ago, Bat Fastard said:

There will be departures and there will be new arrivals - only then will we know if the squad is right or not. I guess that the spadework has already been done by the scouting network and the final choice will be as the result of discussions with the new head coach.

It is always interesting to hear other managers talk about our club and how many who say that we are very well run and a "proper football club.  I think that we are pretty good and have good people making the decisions.  We just need to keep the faith.

You say other managers talk about how well run this. club is, but that view doesn’t appear to convince our HC targets that this is the club for them.

Time will tell if we’re going the right way BF, but you’ve clearly got far more confidence than I have that this club has the right people in place to finally start to realise some of it’s undoubted potential.

8 minutes ago, BrizzleRed said:

You say other managers talk about how well run this. club is, but that view doesn’t appear to convince our HC targets that this is the club for them.

Time will tell if we’re going the right way BF, but you’ve clearly got far more confidence than I have that this club has the right people in place to finally start to realise some of it’s undoubted potential.

We have come a long way in the last 5 years or so. New stadium, training ground, investment into the academy and much more. The new chap will have to fit is as well as adding his particular contribution to our evolution.  Yes I have faith because I believe we have good people on the board. We cannot know what is happening and so we get frustrated and our guesswork becomes more solid as our suspicions grow.  We know nowt and have to await developments.

1 hour ago, BrizzleRed said:

.... so have we proved it’s sound and worked for us?   Not convinced that that we have

I agree.

Off the field and on the field may be wide apart. For me it’s not working on the field.

12 minutes ago, Bat Fastard said:

We have come a long way in the last 5 years or so. New stadium, training ground, investment into the academy and much more. The new chap will have to fit is as well as adding his particular contribution to our evolution.  Yes I have faith because I believe we have good people on the board. We cannot know what is happening and so we get frustrated and our guesswork becomes more solid as our suspicions grow.  We know nowt and have to await developments.

All this and when it comes to match day we can hardly string two passes together.

That Bristol Post City headline caught me out :- ‘Alex Neil installed as new ...... favourite’

They know what they are doing there as the mind reads it in advance as ‘ installed as new ...manager’.

Don’t  mind too much who gets the job as long as they play pleasing on the eye attacking football. Team style often reflects a manager or head coach’s personality. 

Just don’t want to see another set up to contain the opposition ‘identity’ imposes or a miserable SO’D. I fear Alex Neil is a touch dour at best.

4 minutes ago, QuedgeRed said:

Get success on the pitch, the rest will follow.

We’re going about it the wrong way around and it’s NOT working.

Its a bit like painting the Forth road bridge, as soon as you get to the end you have to start again.  This reminds me of taking kids on holiday and when we have only gone a short distance they kept on saying " are we there yet?"  No, we are not there yet.

19 minutes ago, Bat Fastard said:

I’m certainly not denying the great strides we’ve maken with the stadium and academy and player sales.

I’ve just got real concerns that our management strategy is going to drive away many people who could take this club forward.  

I also think that, as we have a finite budget, our policy of recruiting a number of players, who don’t fit our style and appear to be soley with an eye to resale is seriously flawed and wasting valuable resources.  We’ve now got a bloated squad and what chance is there of getting a decent return on ones for the future if we can’t play them.  

If they go out on loan in the lower leagues, we’d be lucky if we could recoup our original outlay if we were to end up selling to the loan club.  With the prices we’ve paid for some of these, Engvall for instance, these aren’t a cheap punts with little to lose.

If we had established a distinct playing style and we recruited players to specifically suit our requirements then fine.  They could get plenty of game time, which would benefit us and also up their re-sale value, through playing at Championship level.  

Sadly at present we look a mess on the field, absolutely no clear gameplan or identity,  giving the appearance of a team full of misfits and much of that has to be down to recruitment

I really fail to see how that policy is going to take us where we want to go and the blame for that falls squarely on the board and owner imho, so again, I don’t share your faith in the board.

I sincerely hope your right though!

2 minutes ago, BrizzleRed said:

I’m certainly not denying the great strides we’ve maken with the stadium and academy and player sales.

I’ve just got real concerns that our management strategy is going to drive away many people who could take this club forward.  

I also think that, as we have a finite budget, our policy of recruiting a number of players, who don’t fit our style and appear to be soley with an eye to resale is seriously flawed and wasting valuable resources.  We’ve now got a bloated squad and what chance is there of getting a decent return on ones for the future if we can’t play them.  

If they go out on loan in the lower leagues, we’d be lucky if we could recoup our original outlay if we were to end up selling to the loan club.  With the prices we’ve paid for some of these, Engvall for instance, these aren’t a cheap punts with little to lose.

If we had established a distinct playing style and we recruited players to specifically suit our requirements then fine.  They could get plenty of game time, which would benefit us and also up their re-sale value, through playing at Championship level.  

Sadly at present we look a mess on the field, absolutely no clear gameplan or identity,  giving the appearance of a team full of misfits and much of that has to be down to recruitment

I really fail to see how that policy is going to take us where we want to go and the blame for that falls squarely on the board and owner imho, so again, I don’t share your faith in the board.

I sincerely hope your right though!

Maybe the kind of people who will be driven away will be the wrong kind of people for the project.  No decision by any board will be 100% right, but they have a plan and are trying to fit the bits of the jigsaw together.  Young players do not always work out, but when they do it can be like striking gold. Developing our own players must always be favourite because we will have known them from childhood - their strengths and weaknesses, and had the time to get the best out of them.  We also have no bloody choice than to leave it to the board because we know diddlysquat!  We are not there yet - but we will be soon.

13 minutes ago, Bat Fastard said:

Its a bit like painting the Forth road bridge, as soon as you get to the end you have to start again.  This reminds me of taking kids on holiday and when we have only gone a short distance they kept on saying " are we there yet?"  No, we are not there yet.

I wouldn’t consider 5 years already “a Short distance”

8 minutes ago, QuedgeRed said:

I wouldn’t consider 5 years already “a Short distance”

Look back and see what the club was like 5 years ago.  We have made astounding progress off the pitch and stabilised on the pitch.  We will move forward again over the next two or three years. Remember we are competing against teams with huge parachute payments and squads consisting of players with PL experience.  It will always be hard to make any progress - but the board with know that.

1 minute ago, Bat Fastard said:

Look back and see what the club was like 5 years ago.  We have made astounding progress off the pitch and stabilised on the pitch.  We will move forward again over the next two or three years. Remember we are competing against teams with huge parachute payments and squads consisting of players with PL experience.  It will always be hard to make any progress - but the board with know that.

Stabilised? 
Stagnant or going backwards is the way I would describe it on field.

Great football at the start of LJ’s tenure, but as I’ve said before, we can hardly string two passes together! That’s not at all acceptable for the standard we’re at or the amount we are paying the playing and management staff.

7 minutes ago, QuedgeRed said:

Stabilised? 
Stagnant or going backwards is the way I would describe it on field.

Great football at the start of LJ’s tenure, but as I’ve said before, we can hardly string two passes together! That’s not at all acceptable for the standard we’re at or the amount we are paying the playing and management staff.

We are competing in a very difficult league - the new chap will speak to Mr Ashton and they will agree who comes and who goes - then we will have to wait for the new season to see how it all pans out and if our key players stay free of injury. It a bit like fishing. If you were guaranteed to catch fish it would be called catching.  We need to be patient and have a bit of luck.

37 minutes ago, Bat Fastard said:

Maybe the kind of people who will be driven away will be the wrong kind of people for the project.  No decision by any board will be 100% right, but they have a plan and are trying to fit the bits of the jigsaw together.  Young players do not always work out, but when they do it can be like striking gold. Developing our own players must always be favourite because we will have known them from childhood - their strengths and weaknesses, and had the time to get the best out of them.  We also have no bloody choice than to leave it to the board because we know diddlysquat!  We are not there yet - but we will be soon.

Exactly!  

The difficulty is, what happens if the management aspect of the project is flawed and we then bring in a new head coach who will fit that?  Will that make them the right person for the wrong project?

I’ve got a real difficulty when it appears anything that goes on in this club has to be at the approval of Mark Ashton and yet, although he’s done what appears to be an amazing job on transfer fees he’s negotiated for the club, it’s not obvious where else he’s excelled to justify his lofty position as CEO.  

Head of recruitment could certainly be justified, but not sure that the best interests of Bristol City FC and Mark Ashton are necessarilly running in parallel in all other areas.

It's a big what if, I know. But, what if Chris Hughton had been employed as new manager of BCFC within a week of L J's departure but, behind the scenes he's been working with M A on transfer targets to have the squad required for the start of the season, after watching the final games and seeing the squad in training. All the other stuff about Gerrad, Neil, and anyone else being a target/interviewed has been a very clever smokescreen. Would that be the way Carling appointed managers?

1 minute ago, BrizzleRed said:

Exactly!  

The difficulty is, what happens if the management aspect of the project is flawed and we then bring in a new head coach who will fit that?  Will that make them the right person for the wrong project?

I’ve got a real difficulty when it appears anything that goes on in this club has to be at the approval of Mark Ashton and yet, although he’s done what appears to be an amazing job on transfer fees he’s negotiated for the club, it’s not obvious where else he’s excelled to justify his lofty position as CEO.  

Head of recruitment could certainly be justified, but not sure that the best interests of Bristol City FC and Mark Ashton are necessarilly running in parallel in all other areas.

Running the club is a complex process and the football on the pitch is only part of it.  We have now built a strong coaching team and seem to be well staffed. The new chap will obviously have discussions and debates with board members and they will have to decide if further changes should be considered.  Last season may have turned out very differently if Benik and Tomas had not been injured and we could have had a functioning midfield.  These things will ebb and flow and a degree of luck is involved. Mr Ashto seems to be a very effective CEO and I guess that is why he is trusted by Steve Lansdown.  If he has faith, then so do I.

8 minutes ago, Rich said:

It's a big what if, I know. But, what if Chris Hughton had been employed as new manager of BCFC within a week of L J's departure but, behind the scenes he's been working with M A on transfer targets to have the squad required for the start of the season, after watching the final games and seeing the squad in training. All the other stuff about Gerrad, Neil, and anyone else being a target/interviewed has been a very clever smokescreen. Would that be the way Carling appointed managers?

A very big, 'What if?', indeed.

More like a WTF?

Archived