IGNORED

Other Manager Options (Merged)

southvillekiddy

Mark Ashton is Steve Lansdown's insurance policy. 

It means any new man coming in, isn't given the keys to the bank account and will be unable to go and buy whomever he wants. I have no problem with that. 

As a fan base do we want journey man players looking for a final payday on a contract that is at least 1 year 2 long. 

No, we want home grown talent. We need a group at the club that identify young hungry players, that have the right DNA, that are coachable, used in the first team and sold as a profit. It's working. It's not 100%. This is the model any new manager/coach who comes in needs to bolt onto and run with it. 

If the candidate is unwilling then he won't be appointment. 

We have a very decent squad. It's clear at the end LJ lost his way with the group. This team of players got us close. I think they were good enough. 

Who ever comes in has a tremendous platform in which to grow this club. It I takes 5 weeks and they bring in the right man.... Who could complain.......

Nigel Adkins is all I will say. No interest in stirring the pot and I’ve never previously had any inside info on the club.

However, whether you are interested or not, I’m 95%+ certain he’s been interviewed from as good as a source you could ask for. Strong interview too. Cant/won’t say no more (probably already have said too much).

Not far at all from the appointment now.  

My last post was moved and so some people might not have heard that Gus Poyet speaking on talk radio today said he was very keen to get back into the coaching with the right club, but that was finding it to be a problem with here in the UK and overseas. He has a good background in assistant manager and manager in the UK and overseas. Is he one of the others that have been interviewed ? I would prefer him to some of the names that have been floated around here and a the media. 

1 hour ago, Bat Fastard said:

Running the club is a complex process and the football on the pitch is only part of it.  We have now built a strong coaching team and seem to be well staffed. The new chap will obviously have discussions and debates with board members and they will have to decide if further changes should be considered.  Last season may have turned out very differently if Benik and Tomas had not been injured and we could have had a functioning midfield.  These things will ebb and flow and a degree of luck is involved. Mr Ashto seems to be a very effective CEO and I guess that is why he is trusted by Steve Lansdown.  If he has faith, then so do I.

Interesting how views can vary so much.

Hopefully the board and our new head coach applicants aren’t as far apart as you and I clearly are, otherwise we may never get the post filled!!! ??

1 minute ago, BrizzleRed said:

Interesting how views can vary so much.

Hopefully the board and our new head coach applicants aren’t as far apart as you and I clearly are, otherwise we may never get the post filled!!! ??

Don't worry BR your time of pain and doubt is almost at an end - then we can all get back to normal and start bitching about other stuff!

5 minutes ago, Hampshire reds said:

i would have thought aftef 4 weeks since lee was sacked the club would  have given the fans an update on the next manager. or am i expecting to much

Things take time

for contracts reasons we not allowed to say

10 minutes ago, Hampshire reds said:

i would have thought aftef 4 weeks since lee was sacked the club would  have given the fans an update on the next manager. or am i expecting to much

What would you like them to tell you? Apart from who the next manager is obviously?

16 minutes ago, Grey Fox said:

Patience

While I understand, I should also point out that the season begins in about 6 weeks.

Pre-season a week on Saturday I think.

Season schedule is September 12th, end weekend of May 8th/9th.

This may or may not be inclusive of multiple international breaks, a weekend given over to FA Cup and of course who knows how League Cup will be setup.

We have a LOT of players out of contract in summer 2021. It's a good and a bad thing but the longer it's left, the more we're behind the 8-ball.

3 hours ago, BrizzleRed said:

I’m certainly not denying the great strides we’ve maken with the stadium and academy and player sales.

I’ve just got real concerns that our management strategy is going to drive away many people who could take this club forward.  

I also think that, as we have a finite budget, our policy of recruiting a number of players, who don’t fit our style and appear to be soley with an eye to resale is seriously flawed and wasting valuable resources.  We’ve now got a bloated squad and what chance is there of getting a decent return on ones for the future if we can’t play them.  

If they go out on loan in the lower leagues, we’d be lucky if we could recoup our original outlay if we were to end up selling to the loan club.  With the prices we’ve paid for some of these, Engvall for instance, these aren’t a cheap punts with little to lose.

If we had established a distinct playing style and we recruited players to specifically suit our requirements then fine.  They could get plenty of game time, which would benefit us and also up their re-sale value, through playing at Championship level.  

Sadly at present we look a mess on the field, absolutely no clear gameplan or identity,  giving the appearance of a team full of misfits and much of that has to be down to recruitment

I really fail to see how that policy is going to take us where we want to go and the blame for that falls squarely on the board and owner imho, so again, I don’t share your faith in the board.

I sincerely hope your right though!

I think there is a large element of truth in that.  If we take Eisa, Adelakun and Szmodics for example, two out of the three arrived on a free as rejected contracts at their clubs (although we either agreed a fee or paid compensation), therefore offering better wages than some of the others to secure them.

If down to tribunal, you could argue we didn’t play them to make it look better from our side.  If you sold either of them, you would’ve made money on them

Eisa was different, but we sold him for a profit (minus wages).

I don’t think in post-covid times you can repeat that strategy.  It’s a dangerous strategy going forward.

As fans we are used to buying players to challenge for the first team.  I sense some signings are for the Balance Sheet and Profit and Loss.  I don’t like that strategy.

10 minutes ago, Mr Popodopolous said:

By my estimation, there would be one on the first weekend of September- but the season hasn't started then.

With one in October, one in November and one in March 2021.

How this will be reformed, remains to be seen.

England are due to play Iceland on Saturday 5th September and Denmark on Tuesay 8th September in the Nations League, both away from home.

There is also a scheduled friendly against Wales on October 8th at Wembley, followed by more Nations League on Saturday the 11th and 14th October against Belgum and Denmark,  also at Wembley. 

As far as I know the FA and UEFA still intend on these games going ahead (Including September). Whether or not they will of course is another matter but that's been widely discussed elsewhere and I've only posted the above here for info and in response to Mr P.

21 minutes ago, PhilC said:

England are due to play Iceland on Saturday 5th September and Denmark on Tuesay 8th September in the Nations League, both away from home.

There is also a scheduled friendly against Wales on October 8th at Wembley, followed by more Nations League on Saturday the 11th and 14th October against Belgum and Denmark,  also at Wembley. 

As far as I know the FA and UEFA still intend on these games going ahead (Including September). Whether or not they will of course is another matter but that's been widely discussed elsewhere and I've only posted the above here for info and in response to Mr P.

According to a quick search- and it could be old data- England also host Iceland on November 18th 2020 which is following a trip to Belgium on November 15th 2020- these things are usually home and away.

Who knows in these times what a revised scheduled might look like though!

Also in theory, though who knows in practice, World Cup qualification for UEFA zone is scheduled to begin in the International break in March 2021.

The original plan for the latter is below. Which to me indicates the usual late March International break slot. 

Schedule[edit]

Below is the schedule of the European qualifiers for the 2022 FIFA World Cup.[6]

The matchdays planned to take place in June 2021 will be moved following the rescheduling of UEFA Euro 2020 to June and July 2021 due to the COVID-19 pandemic.[9] To allow for the completion of the qualifying group stage in November 2021 as scheduled, some windows in the FIFA International Match Calendar may be expanded to include three matchdays.[10][11]

Stage Matchday Dates
Qualifying group stage Matchday 1 25–27 March 2021
Matchday 2 28–30 March 2021
Matchday 3 TBD (originally 4–5 June 2021)
Matchday 4 TBD (originally 7–8 June 2021)
Matchday 5 2–4 September 2021
Matchday 6 5–7 September 2021
Matchday 7 7–9 October 2021
Matchday 8 10–12 October 2021
Matchday 9 11–13 November 2021
Matchday 10 14–16 November 2021
Play-offs Semi-finals 24–25 March 2022
Finals 28–29 March 2022

This season will be one hell of a squeeze- a sprint from start to finish if International breaks, an FA Cup weekend in January ie Round 3, and League Cup all remain intact. Having no manager with a week and a day until pre-season begins doesn't augur well!

Archived