IGNORED

Other Manager Options (Merged)

southvillekiddy

7 hours ago, southvillekiddy said:

There's something in what you say because Newcastle for example got shot of him after he got them out of the shit and back to the Prem (how ungracious was that and similiarly with Brighton?) but at least he got them into the Prem. This is what I hope he would do for City. 

Ideally we would go one better with an established foreign coach and his team with connections to getting top players. But the problem is we have an owner, a "Board" (I'm not convinced that anyone has any say apart from SL) and a large part of our fan base who have low horizons and seem incapable of taking a lead from what the top Clubs do.

6 hours ago, Frenchay Red said:

Exactly. So many comments on all the various "who will it be" threads about the board this, the board that etc.

The Board, such as it is, comprises of the owner, his son, a retired finance expert and an employee.

No doubt SL will listen to what the others say, but ultimately it will be his decision.

May I ask a question? it’s a genuine one because I have no idea myself, but who are the people with a football pedigree on the boards, or in the financial set up of the clubs you feel are doing thing’s right?

I am not really asking about the top 5 or 6 as you would suppose their name alone would get them good candidates, but Wolves, Sheff Utd, Burnley, those sort of clubs maybe? 

1 hour ago, Port Said Red said:

May I ask a question? it’s a genuine one because I have no idea myself, but who are the people with a football pedigree on the boards, or in the financial set up of the clubs you feel are doing thing’s right?

I am not really asking about the top 5 or 6 as you would suppose their name alone would get them good candidates, but Wolves, Sheff Utd, Burnley, those sort of clubs maybe? 

I have no idea either.

Only familiar with our setup/board.

1 hour ago, Port Said Red said:

Don't know in our case, but over at the Mem, Darrell Clarke always insisted that there was a good supply of Pedigree available.

3 hours ago, Port Said Red said:

I'm reluctant to answer what you say is a genuine question until we find out who BCFC appoint. I'm sure you will understand, especially when I look back at the comments you have already made about my views. When the appointment has been made we can then see which of us is closest in diagnosing what is happening at our Club.

But I will say How do things improve in any sphere? By people realising that someone has an edge and then finding out who they are and how they did it? eg. It should be the job of the people at Ashton Gate to do just this in football terms. Rather in the way that Steve Lansdown must have built up his business to become the UKs leading savings and investment platform.

I imagine his success included appointing the very best staff. I would hope he would see the benefit of applying this principle to running our football Club.

Do you believe he has got the very best people working for him at Ashton Gate?

5 hours ago, Port Said Red said:

Just to give an example of Wigan, maybe not a great example given their current plight, but....

Director: Joe Royle, yes Big Joe himself 

Head of Recruitment: Chris Brass, journeyman footballer, who was once the youngest manager in the League at 27 with York City

So two football men.

Burnley - no directors as football men, but Martin Hodge, ex-Wednesday keeper is head of recruitment.

Sheff Utd - head of recruitment - Paul Mitchell - was appointed to head up the Blades restructured recruitment department by Wilder. Formerly a manager on the local non-league circuit, Mitchell previously worked under Paul Cook at Chesterfield and Portsmouth

6 hours ago, Davefevs said:

Just to give an example of Wigan, maybe not a great example given their current plight, but....

Director: Joe Royle, yes Big Joe himself 

Head of Recruitment: Chris Brass, journeyman footballer, who was once the youngest manager in the League at 27 with York City

So two football men.

Burnley - no directors as football men, but Martin Hodge, ex-Wednesday keeper is head of recruitment.

Sheff Utd - head of recruitment - Paul Mitchell - was appointed to head up the Blades restructured recruitment department by Wilder. Formerly a manager on the local non-league circuit, Mitchell previously worked under Paul Cook at Chesterfield and Portsmouth

Thank you Dave. So at Wigan it hasn’t made much difference having a top footballer on their board. As with the other examples you have given, they are probably less experienced than say Holden or Jamie Mac, which makes me think they would be receiving similar criticism to that of the current board if they were here making tough decisions, such as the one we are going through now.

The only example I can think of personally where the club is basically run by “football people” is Salford, that seems to be going well, but a lot of their success could be down to the money at that level.

The reasonI asked the question is that I don’t believe it makes much difference. I am sure we have all worked at places where the Managers have been promoted from within, sometimes it works sometimes it doesn’t. It’s the idea that someone who is good at doing a certain role, will inevitably have the skills for another role that seems related that is the problem.

Look around the Managers in football, how few have had a glittering career? Pep? Lampard? Arteta? Not many. More so the coaches or even the scouts that identify players. All those roles have different skill sets to playing, and I think the best clubs recognise that.

I realise that there are things the club do wrong, or they don’t do things the way some like, but to criticise the higher ups for not being football men is an easy an cheap shot unless you can show that this is different from 98% of all clubs, successful or not.

So many choices of manager, guessing only a couple would get large support......so we wont get them then.

That leaves at least a dozen guesses who could come in........think of the bottom one and nail him on and announce a week before kick off....job done.

Our/SL`s recent manager selections and processes have hardly been earth shattering, to say the least, expect more of the same to avoid dissapointment.

1 minute ago, glos old boy said:

Looks like we will be starting the new season with the same players playing in the same way with the same attitude.

I was hoping a new manager would have been in place by now who would need  time to properly assess every squad player,  bring in new players where required and impose a new playing strategy and frame of mind.......this all takes time.

Yes take time to make the right manager choice but not at the risk of starting the new season poorly.

12 minutes ago, Top Robin said:

Looks like we will be starting the new season with the same players playing in the same way with the same attitude.

I was hoping a new manager would have been in place by now who would need  time to properly assess every squad player,  bring in new players where required and impose a new playing strategy and frame of mind.......this all takes time.

Yes take time to make the right manager choice but not at the risk of starting the new season poorly.

We don’t know what’s going on inside AG but I guess MA will already have a list of players and probably Deano and Macca will add their opinions. It’s not as if the club are starting completely from scratch.

We’ve frequently heard from MA and previously LJ that recruitment is planned two or even three windows ahead and the fact the club are currently manager less wont have changed that forward planning.

You can plan all you like and have lists of players but how many of those players will want to sign for a club without a manager ? Sign a three year deal  and then a new manager comes in and you’re not his type of player. 

12 minutes ago, Robbored said:

We don’t know what’s going on inside AG but I guess MA will already have a list of players and probably Deano and Macca will add their opinions. It’s not as if the club are starting completely from scratch.

We’ve frequently heard from MA and previously LJ that recruitment is planned two or even three windows ahead and the fact the club are currently manager less wont have changed that forward planning.

Guess we need to brace ourselves for more misfit players then, if that is the case!

7 minutes ago, Robbored said:

The new manager must have input on new players if at all possible - whether he has 'the final word' as LJ claimed he had so often - or not.

What if the new manager really doesn't want a player on MA and LJ's list - quite possible he's had him at a previous club for example, and that experience means he doesn't want him again. To impose such players on him would be a terrible start.

The opinion of Macca and Holden - who may well be on their way - is no longer important unless they become part of the new managers' team.

A new manager will, quite naturally, also want to add his own choices for consideration - i.e. players from previous clubs he is convinced can do a job for him here - and as far as next season is concerned it's important that he is here in time to have that opportunity.

14 minutes ago, Robbored said:

Each day that goes by is one day fewer preparation for the new man. That's an objective fact. And I don't think you'll find a single head coach in the country that prefers less time to prepare for a new challenge.

36 minutes ago, Top Robin said:

Robin, there’s still plenty of time for the right manager. The delay is for a reason and this would not distract potential players as the club is very well respected, the infrastructure is top notch and we are on the up and not the down 

It’s not as bad as it seems. The current squad is pretty good, but it underachieved last season. Two or three new players and a good manager is all that’s needed. Signing lots of players gives the fans lots to talk about, but doesn’t necessarily work. Remember ex Rovers manager Paul Buckle. He signed about 11 players when he was appointed and their fans started saying Rovers was the Barcelona of the UK. He got the sack half way through the season. 

The players are on time off anyway so a new manager wouldn’t be assessing them now. I’d have liked them to have been in place for a game or two but c’est la vie. Need this done Monday though because we need to start dealing with contracts and transfers, the next six weeks will disappear in no time to be honest.

3 minutes ago, mozo said:

Each day that goes by is one day fewer preparation for the new man. That's an objective fact. And I don't think you'll find a single head coach in the country that prefers less time to prepare for a new challenge.

Thing is - for all we know the new guy may well have been appointed already and the club are delaying announcing him for whatever reason..............:dunno:

If that is the case then he’ll certainly be involved in any wheeling and dealing.

Archived