IGNORED

Other Manager Options (Merged)

southvillekiddy

8 minutes ago, Robbored said:

Thing is - for all we know the new guy may well have been appointed already and the club are delaying announcing him for whatever reason..............:dunno:

If that is the case then he’ll certainly be involved in any wheeling and dealing.

Agreed especially if the German cap man, scruffy beard and no teeth has been signed up as he still had another years contract with his current club. 

2 minutes ago, Curr Avon said:

Nah, the reason for the lengthy delay is because the new guy requires international clearance: Slowvisa Jokanovic.

SLOW JOK says bounce around the ground, bounce around the ground, bounce around the ground.

SLOW JOK says bounce around the ground, bounce around the ground, bounce around the ground.

2 hours ago, Port Said Red said:

Thank you Dave. So at Wigan it hasn’t made much difference having a top footballer on their board. As with the other examples you have given, they are probably less experienced than say Holden or Jamie Mac, which makes me think they would be receiving similar criticism to that of the current board if they were here making tough decisions, such as the one we are going through now.

The only example I can think of personally where the club is basically run by “football people” is Salford, that seems to be going well, but a lot of their success could be down to the money at that level.

The reasonI asked the question is that I don’t believe it makes much difference. I am sure we have all worked at places where the Managers have been promoted from within, sometimes it works sometimes it doesn’t. It’s the idea that someone who is good at doing a certain role, will inevitably have the skills for another role that seems related that is the problem.

Look around the Managers in football, how few have had a glittering career? Pep? Lampard? Arteta? Not many. More so the coaches or even the scouts that identify players. All those roles have different skill sets to playing, and I think the best clubs recognise that.

I realise that there are things the club do wrong, or they don’t do things the way some like, but to criticise the higher ups for not being football men is an easy an cheap shot unless you can show that this is different from 98% of all clubs, successful or not.

I guess the point I was trying to make was that the three clubs I mentioned have a footballing person in the Head of Recruitment role. I’m sure Royle brings some “football balance” to the running of the club at board level when football matters are being discussed.

But that person you trust in the HoR role is key imho. Those 3 clubs have ex-footballers, ex-Managers in those roles. From different levels of experience from Hodge (top flight goalie in his day) to Mitchell a manager in non-league at Alfreton (previously managed by Wilder and Flint’s old club).

46 minutes ago, Robbored said:

We don’t know what’s going on inside AG but I guess MA will already have a list of players and probably Deano and Macca will add their opinions. It’s not as if the club are starting completely from scratch.

We’ve frequently heard from MA and previously LJ that recruitment is planned two or even three windows ahead and the fact the club are currently manager less wont have changed that forward planning.

I often wonder about the planning. I certainly understated concept, but how it plays out in practice will be interesting.

Im sure the club have a depth chart of some description and things like contract expiry on it (Hey even I have that), and I’m sure they have a list of players with known contract expiry too. Hey, I have that also!!!

I can imagine them sitting down in the Jan window thinking we might need to improve player x and compiling a list of who they might want in the summer. They might think that a contract situation might not play out until the next Jan or even the next summer, so that would be 2/3 windows. But that isn’t particularly special. Again I can do that. They can do it at scale, I just don’t have the time.

But football is the here and now, young players breaking through change those plans.

I guess I’m saying I think some of it is spin /hyperbole to make it sound more impressive than it is. ?

29 minutes ago, mozo said:

Each day that goes by is one day fewer preparation for the new man. That's an objective fact. And I don't think you'll find a single head coach in the country that prefers less time to prepare for a new challenge.

Yes, my self imposed cut off was Friday. In my opinion every day after that is eating into preparation. Players back in 8 days, you want to hit the ground running.

The new manager will want as much time with the players in a shortened pre-season as possible, yet will need to be recruiting and trading too.

Perhaps it’s done, just not announced?

5 minutes ago, Davefevs said:

Im sure the club have a depth chart of some description and things like contract expiry on it (Hey even I have that), and I’m sure they have a list of players with known contract expiry too. Hey, I have that also!!!

Are you Mark Ashton? I’ve never seen you in the same place at the same time ?

57 minutes ago, Robbored said:

Thing is - for all we know the new guy may well have been appointed already and the club are delaying announcing him for whatever reason..............:dunno:

If that is the case then he’ll certainly be involved in any wheeling and dealing.

Okay, I'd be willing to believe that we may have now made our decision and even signed an agreement with new man.

But it doesn't sound plausible that he is actually doing the job. That's the crucial bit here.

He needs to meet staff, share his vision, probably integrate new people. Assess the set up, facilities etc.

I just don't buy that he's doing all of that in secret without a single detail leaked.

The new gaffer needs as much prep time prior to players returning as poss. In fact, some loanee players had a shorter break and are back to work tomorrow I think.

There will also be external media duties which will eat into his time.

Time is of the essence. 

47 minutes ago, mozo said:

Okay, I'd be willing to believe that we may have now made our decision and even signed an agreement with new man.

But it doesn't sound plausible that he is actually doing the job. That's the crucial bit here.

He needs to meet staff, share his vision, probably integrate new people. Assess the set up, facilities etc.

I just don't buy that he's doing all of that in secret without a single detail leaked.

The new gaffer needs as much prep time prior to players returning as poss. In fact, some loanee players had a shorter break and are back to work tomorrow I think.

There will also be external media duties which will eat into his time.

Time is of the essence. 

I’m just speculating like everyone else mozo. I accept that my conjecture is a little wild tho! 

As stated before, I believe SL and JL genuinely want the best for city. I don't question their intentions.

What I do question is the arrogance to think they're best placed to pick a football manager.

SL wouldn't let one of the city squad suddenly pick shares and investments for his business... So why would a financial expert be the best person to know who's a good manager and who's not?

MA has ran football clubs, but not a football man through and through. 

My frustration relates to the fact we don't have key top level football people running the show. We have financial experts... And Mark.

Surely, the two signings we need now are a good manager and someone who knows the game inside out... Connections, experience

Firstly SL and JL don't pick the manager SL is the owner and JL is chairman of the board SL will likely take a recommendation after an explanation of the candidates they have reviewed and why they think that person is best. I would be surprised if JL is heavily involved other than interviewing and reviewing the short list with MA and probably Luke Werhun. 

You then seem to go on to say MA isn't a football man through and through - the quote used to be "get a football man". It seems that now we have one it's the wrong type of football man. Can you suggest a through and through football man that would be acceptable to you? 

21 minutes ago, Pezo said:

Firstly SL and JL don't pick the manager SL is the owner and JL is chairman of the board SL will likely take a recommendation after an explanation of the candidates they have reviewed and why they think that person is best. I would be surprised if JL is heavily involved other than interviewing and reviewing the short list with MA and probably Luke Werhun. 

You then seem to go on to say MA isn't a football man through and through - the quote used to be "get a football man". It seems that now we have one it's the wrong type of football man. Can you suggest a through and through football man that would be acceptable to you? 

Perhaps someone who's been around, not working at present. Big Mick? 

Regardless of any suggestions, Im sure I'd get shot down

41 minutes ago, Matthew me said:

As stated before, I believe SL and JL genuinely want the best for city. I don't question their intentions.

What I do question is the arrogance to think they're best placed to pick a football manager.

SL wouldn't let one of the city squad suddenly pick shares and investments for his business... So why would a financial expert be the best person to know who's a good manager and who's not?

MA has ran football clubs, but not a football man through and through. 

My frustration relates to the fact we don't have key top level football people running the show. We have financial experts... And Mark.

Surely, the two signings we need now are a good manager and someone who knows the game inside out... Connections, experience

Give it a rest.

2 minutes ago, Matthew me said:

Perhaps someone who's been around, not working at present. Big Mick? 

Regardless of any suggestions, Im sure I'd get shot down

Your right - because anyone can find a fault with anything, especially people. The stock answer to Mccarthy would be that we were picking a manager to run the club and he isn't qualified to do that, then all we would have is 2 managers. 

1 hour ago, Matthew me said:

If this time round was just whoever Steve wanted they'd have been in place by now as that's just one person's decision as to who to go for. 

33 minutes ago, Matthew me said:

Pathetic because I have an opinion?

Wow, that's a narrow view. Let's just all pretend everything is ok ?

Maybe Matthew because it's your impatience that is the issue. Nothing has changed so far in respect of management since the topics you've created in the last few weeks.

You created a topic saying you would be dissulusioned with a manager like Mick McCarthy then two days later started another topic critizing the board saying we haven't got Chris Hughton or Mick in yet and what a disgrace.

Now your back on about the board again with a new topic moaning about their manager selection and decision making when they've not even announced the decision in the first place.

It's fine to voice your opinion and even become critical but maybe stop jumping the gun and see what pans out.

Archived