IGNORED

Other Manager Options (Merged)

southvillekiddy

1 minute ago, JonDolman said:

They were pretty tight at the back I think in that run since lockdown.

I imagine if they had better players then Struper would manage to get them higher than he did.

12th from when he took over with that squad is some achievement.

Who's your number 1 at the moment Jon? Is it still Jokanović?

51 minutes ago, Davefevs said:

The fact that it’s “dragged” on in many of our minds, make me feel Holden is getting closer to being announced.

I am totally guessing, but in my mind, the club had one big last push with one or more of the other candidates at the back end of the week / over the weekend and if they reached an impasse, Holden is gonna get it. 

Said the same thing 10 minutes before you posted - its getting late in the day for an external appointment with players back on Monday. Whoever is in post needs this week as preparation, which Holden is probably doing anyway.

(cue Hughton being announced today....)

33 minutes ago, Bar BS3 said:

Anybody heard if there is one...? 

Sorry! 

Not even me when well lubricated comes out with c%$p like that. I except aubergines when i post s&^t and I truly love them. Mate you are getting to get heaps,

Gregor Macgregor's reply this lunchtime to when new man will be appointed:

We’ll start with the bad news. Regarding the head coach, we understand that nothing is imminent. That was sourced yesterday and so we don’t expect anything to happen today. However, I’d caveat that with that things can change very quickly and it’s not beyond the realms of possibility that that changes much, much later today. But we’re not expecting any announcements today.

As regards timing, as previously reported, the players were told to expect news 7-10 days after the season’s end on the new head coach. So we are expecting news soon. And with pre-season starting next week then there’s a good chance we’ll hear later this week.

11 minutes ago, Bar BS3 said:

I can be mate. As long you stand your round, or have great tits... ?

Double whammy ( so to speak) would be both!

Second thoughts -  chances of that are as slim as our new manager being announced before they discover a covid-19 vaccine.

33 minutes ago, mozo said:

Yeah I'd imagine he interviewed very well. He's good at saying the right thing, he knows what they want to hear and he's probably the least demanding candidate. 

I think your 2nd point is the one that could ruffle a few feathers. 

We've never been such an attractive proposition in the head coach market. The message is consistently that we're looking to the Premier League in the short term. We've spent decent money on players.

To not follow that up with an ambitious appointment will annoy people and (I'm very PR minded), the club would in that case be wise to control the narrative.
yes, said from the start, that if they appoint someone who fans think isn’t good enough, they will need to do a really good PR job.

The only way that Holden should get the role, in my view, is if he has been a shining light behind the scenes, someone that has exuded an x-factor all along and just can't be overlooked. If that were the case has should have been in the job immediately. 

We're all trying to read between the lines (what else can we do?!), and you could argue that if Holden gets the role, the process has failed.

Yes, we are....just as well we have OTIB ?

He'd be up against it too. Of course the fans back the new manager vociferously. But fans would turn on him a lot quicker than a higher profile appointee.

If our big problem in this process is around budget, I'd hope we find out about it so that we can all be honest about where the club is heading.

I don’t necessarily see lack of budget being synonymous with where we are heading.  Our budget relative to others could still be good.  There must be some clubs really sweating (more than Prince Andrew), those who’ve pushed ffp to the limits and now have hugely reduced income.

The obvious positive with Holden is continuity. No need to rip everything up and start again.
I think that’s what I’m buying if he does get it, that he will be straight on the front foot.

I wonder if Ashley Williams would be offered a role?

I would.  Part-coach, part-player cover, but like Alby was on, before he went to Bolton.  I hear from a good source he has been very good off the pitch.

Would Weimann become a midfielder? Would Massengo be frozen out? Would Holden get a better tune out of Wells?

So many questions...

yep!!

24 minutes ago, JonDolman said:

GF33

GA36

You could argue, nice football, not enough end product....⬇️⬇️⬇️

I imagine if they had better players then Struper would manage to get them higher than he did.

...but maybe that’s down to players as you say?  It’s so difficult to tell how one manager will do with another managers players....but he definitely appears to have something about him.  Still looks too much like Jean-Paul Gaultier (Eurotrash) for my liking ?

I’m not sure it was a bad squad

3 minutes ago, Hillzider said:

We’ll start with the bad news. Regarding the head coach, we understand that nothing is imminent. That was sourced yesterday and so we don’t expect anything to happen today. However, I’d caveat that with that things can change very quickly and it’s not beyond the realms of possibility that that changes much, much later today. But we’re not expecting any announcements today.

As regards timing, as previously reported, the players were told to expect news 7-10 days after the season’s end on the new head coach. So we are expecting news soon. And with pre-season starting next week then there’s a good chance we’ll hear later this week.

A very long winded way of admitting that he hasn't got a clue!!

Holden would represent a continuity of sorts but I'm not so sure it would be the right continuity. I'm not sure at this moment he would be able to objectively look at the squad and be bold enough to say certain players just aren't going to make it so they need to go. My worry is whether he would end up persevering with players like LJ did alot.

13 minutes ago, Hillzider said:

So what were those tweets from Jon Lansdown and Tinnion all about then?

It seemed like a tease for an announcement, now it just looks ill-judged.

It’s not really a big deal, but when fans are getting increasingly frustrated with both the lack of an appointment and the lack of any sort of communication from the club, I can’t help but feel they’d be better off staying quiet if they’re not going to give us any sort of formal update.

• The title was changed to Is there a press conference today?
1 hour ago, JonDolman said:

Where's this impression that they have a notably poor squad come from? It's less than experienced or perhaps a lack of 'names' but to me it looks promising but a distinct lack of established players. 

What do you think @NIGHTMARE poor squad or?

Struber has done very well though either way. Think they had ONE win by mid-life November.

That oddly enough was an impressive opening day result (and performance) v Fulham and then...

We're now 12 days after the end of the season, when the players were told it would be 7-10 days. Felt very positive about an announcement today, but Gregor's lunchtime Q&A suggests it's very unlikely today. 

Makes me worried to be honest. Optimistically perhaps it means we are determined to get our man and not giving up, pessimistically perhaps it means we can't get anyone in who will agree with our project/methods and are refusing to bend.

21 minutes ago, JonDolman said:

That game against us in January looked to me they lacked a finisher up front to go with the great bits of play that created the chances they had.

This is the pros and cons of the system he employs.  Typically two forwards who play inside to out, run channels....but therefore aren’t in the penalty area when chances are created because they have helped create the chance in wide areas.  They create good overloads in wide areas because Chaplin and Brown are such willing runners.  Earlier this season they had Woodrow staying central and therefore getting goals.  So by playing the way they do, they look good outside the box, but lack potency inside it.

Defensively those two are good too, because they are so willing to trigger the press by closing the full-backs, with Mowatt then pressing the ball back inside to the CBs from the top of their “pointy” diamond.  Again Chaplin and Brown are in wide areas.

That’s the dilemma for Struber to solve...and I guess it’s the weakness of the diamond system.

Look at their heat maps, appreciate some of Brown’s map will be from his games as a conventional winger, but it shows how little time they spend between the goals!

B062D066-33A2-483C-BBA9-0F639495F1FE.thumb.jpeg.a768467b3619ebf928d141d7313e366e.jpeg
7BC13798-669F-489C-BDAA-8DD3AF99EC05.thumb.jpeg.479f2b27b4461fe4a7c1b081cd89b38e.jpeg

Basically - can’t have your cake and eat it!!!

And defensively they looked like they could be got at. 2 very young centre backs they had playing.

I don't think he brought much in, but the centre back he bought from his previous club seemed to really make them tighter at the back after that game.

Still generally went with the 442 diamond most of the rest of the season.

To me it looked a like a team playing to its absolute best with a decent but certainly not top level championship players.

I think he'd get our players in that system playing better than that Barnsley team. Of course with some new players coming in and some being sold of course.

If Fam and Eliasson are sold then they wouldn't fit in with that way of playing anyway.

A better version of that Barnsley way of playing would really excite me. I think it would suit many of our players too.

Archived