IGNORED

Other Manager Options (Merged)

southvillekiddy

3 hours ago, Flagon said:

Holden would represent a continuity of sorts but I'm not so sure it would be the right continuity. I'm not sure at this moment he would be able to objectively look at the squad and be bold enough to say certain players just aren't going to make it so they need to go. My worry is whether he would end up persevering with players like LJ did alot.

The very last thing we want is continuity.

It was a very comfortable ‘club’ that was created with half-arsed performances, lack of leadership, mental strength et al. That all contributed to the rollover coaster performances that LJ and his merry men had ownership off.

Goalkeepers, defence, midfield, forwards looked and played like a bunch of strangers thrown together. 

Rip it up and start afresh. 

The delays in appointing a manager are typical City of recent times. We look like we’re making it up as we go along. 

I’ve gone through the hope of having someone decent lined up, past the ‘appoint any bugger’ phase to now, as it’s been so long...we must be appointing to Pep/ Klopp type candidate and will be disappointed if we don’t. If we end up with some ‘yes’ man, working with the same old faces, with the same Strategy then that will test my patience to breaking point.

17 minutes ago, RedRock said:

The very last thing we want is continuity.

It was a very comfortable ‘club’ that was created with half-arsed performances, lack of leadership, mental strength et al. That all contributed to the rollover coaster performances that LJ and his merry men had ownership off.

Goalkeepers, defence, midfield, forwards looked and played like a bunch of strangers thrown together. 

Rip it up and start afresh. 

Yep exactly that. 

The ideal thing about a new manager is that he can form his own opinions on all players, those who were out of favour previously are given a clean slate, and those who played regardless of what form they seemed to be in may no longer be looked upon in such high regard. 

I really hope that if a new manager comes in, an entire team of new backroom staff come in also. May be harsh on the likes of Cisse, McAllister, Mountain etc, but to give the new manager the best chance of success, they must be allowed to bring their own team in. 

The line that struck me from Gregor’s Q&A regarding Holden was “the players like him”.

Therein lies the problem; it’s all too cosy. Those players have underachieved this season. That squad needs fresh impetus to shake things up, not their old mate.

It’s farcical now. Into week 5 and still nothing imminent. I don’t see how we can conclude this is anything other than an abject failure of our recruitment process because every day that goes by now compromises our preparations for next season. It simply should not take this long.

26 minutes ago, ChippenhamRed said:

The line that struck me from Gregor’s Q&A regarding Holden was “the players like him”.

Therein lies the problem; it’s all too cosy. Those players have underachieved this season. That squad needs fresh impetus to shake things up, not their old mate.

It’s farcical now. Into week 5 and still nothing imminent. I don’t see how we can conclude this is anything other than an abject failure of our recruitment process because every day that goes by now compromises our preparations for next season. It simply should not take this long.

That gets a big @Shtanley "Well said" from me. 

30 minutes ago, ChippenhamRed said:

So are you saying that we underachieved this season because the players liked Lee Johnson too much?  That's not what I've heard...

I felt like under LJ it almost became like it was ok to lose. We take that punch on the nose etc etc. There were only a couple of times he looked a bit shellshocked at some of the performances and it became how much of a threat other teams are in this division all the time. etc etc.

A fresh start is needed and someone who is not ok with losing and makes sure that is instilled in the players.

1 hour ago, Carey 6 said:

Yep exactly that. 

The ideal thing about a new manager is that he can form his own opinions on all players, those who were out of favour previously are given a clean slate, and those who played regardless of what form they seemed to be in may no longer be looked upon in such high regard. 

I really hope that if a new manager comes in, an entire team of new backroom staff come in also. May be harsh on the likes of Cisse, McAllister, Mountain etc, but to give the new manager the best chance of success, they must be allowed to bring their own team in. 

...and it costs money to get rid of staff....and potentially more money to lever them out of other clubs.  It might not be much in the grand scheme of things, but it is a consideration.

I don’t disagree with any of the points you and plenty of others...they are all valid.  All I’m really saying is if Holden does get it, these might be the reasons why.

Mark Ashton’s cock is on the block with this appointment.  SL may make the decision, but MA will have done all the groundwork and give the recommendation!  SL will not be happy if come November, whoever we appoint, we are struggling at the wrong end of the table.  Who knows whether in some respects the waiting game allows him to say “sorry, Steve, we almost got Chris, but Bournemouth got him”.

4 hours ago, JonDolman said:

Well they were bottom of the league when he took over.

1 win in 17 games. 

One of the youngest squads in the League IIRC.

Reminds me a little of your views on Wigan- overly physical, not very good football- think it's a bit more nuanced, but nonetheless Struber has done a fantastic job there.

6 minutes ago, Redrascal2 said:

Does anybody else worry that the longer this recruitment farce continues it looks like it will be Holden. 

Yes. Or they have have made their choice but struggling to agree financial terms with him. It’s definitely worrying that it’s taking so long though.

I’ve said elsewhere that based on Tinnion’s and Lansdown’s tweets on the weekend, something major has to be on the cards or the fan base is going to be mightily cheesed off...

It’s all starting to make sense!

https://www.skysports.com/football/news/11095/12041307/mauricio-pochettino-ex-tottenham-boss-open-to-next-job-being-in-any-of-europes-top-five-leagues

6 hours ago, deadredfred said:

I’ve said elsewhere that based on Tinnion’s and Lansdown’s tweets on the weekend, something major has to be on the cards or the fan base is going to be mightily cheesed off...

It’s all starting to make sense!

https://www.skysports.com/football/news/11095/12041307/mauricio-pochettino-ex-tottenham-boss-open-to-next-job-being-in-any-of-europes-top-five-leagues

PL, La Liga, Serie A, Bundesliga,Ligue 1!

Think a couple of those are or can be interchangeable but there are the big 5.

With one of Fulham and Brentford on the cusp of getting in excess of well over £100 million I worry our "due diligence” hasn't really stretched much further than "exactly how much are you expecting to get paid to get us a slice of that?"

Did I miss his name before ? Only just noticed that he is in the betting.

Googled and seems he is one of Germanys well regarded coaches.

Probably just an outlier..

(a bit of light relief from the mass suicide taking place elsewhere on the forum anyway)

Archived