IGNORED

Other Manager Options (Merged)

southvillekiddy

8 minutes ago, JBFC II said:

I think you’d be surprised. Holden probably won’t be on that sort of money but he won’t be far off. Last season the average wage for a championship manager was 868k a year, so I’d doubt we’d be paying him much less

Income in football will be significantly higher than rugby.... so the point still stands. Pat Lam is comparatively an expensive choice when compared with DH. 

2 minutes ago, Mendip City said:

Income in football will be significantly higher than rugby.... so the point still stands. Pat Lam is comparatively an expensive choice when compared with DH. 

Not sure the difference between Premiership rugby and championship football is that significant, especially at Bristol who probably bring in similar amounts to us on a match day, whilst also being on TV most weeks. Certainly when you compare wages to turnover the championship will be much higher I would reckon

It's all about the timing.  Once the appointment is confirmed wait and see the amount of other news that will get released in order to deflect attention. 

This will include:- the new kit,  the new fixture list, lots of stuff on how they can justify keeping our season ticket money and give us Robins TV, some transfer activity and lots of videos of players retuning to training. 

The new manager announcement will be on page 3 of the website before you know it.

1 minute ago, JBFC II said:

Not sure the difference between Premiership rugby and championship football is that significant, especially at Bristol who probably bring in similar amounts to us on a match day, whilst also being on TV most weeks. Certainly when you compare wages to turnover the championship will be much higher I would reckon

I understand the turnover of Bristol Rugby (£9m) is around 30% of the Football club (£30m).

Surely we just spend less on wages for squad fillers (i.e Marley Watkins, Adelukun,) and invest in a leader to coach and manage the team.   Buy cheap, buy twice.  

Just now, Back of the net said:

I understand the turnover of Bristol Rugby (£9m) is around 30% of the Football club (£30m).

Surely we just spend less on wages for squad fillers (i.e Marley Watkins, Adelukun,) and invest in a leader to coach and manage the team.   Buy cheap, buy twice.  

To be fair, those accounts were from 2019 where we made a lot from sales, so not sure if that would come into it as well. 

Either way though, comparisons are rather futile due to the vast difference in wages. 

The point about squad fillers is interesting, the counter argument to that would be that a deeper squad is necessary in this league, with how many matches there are, and the intensity of those matches. Look at the few months of championship football under Cotts, a small squad couldn’t cope with the demands of championship football. I’m not sure about where we stand with FFP but I’d also say that those squad fillers shouldn’t stop us pushing the boat out on an experienced manager

I’m fed up of Gregor McGregors on the fence, little informed tweeting on this for clicks.

usually respect the guy but he’s partially responsible for that backlash and frenzy last night - only to turn around and say two candidates are waiting by the phone, hughtons not out of it and all they heard was a discussion about back room staff with Holden - which they would have had with all other candidates as part of the process

53 minutes ago, Robbored said:

I can hardly wait to hear MA ‘speech’ when the new guy is announced. 

Im no Code Red but you can imagine the sort of waffle he’ll come out with -  ‘ The Bristol City job is a sought after one and due diligence on numerous applications takes time. We (I) wanted to be sure we’ve appointed the best person for the job’....blah, blah.............:sleeping:

You don't find MA quite so charismatic these days then?

3 minutes ago, lou2BS7 said:

I’m fed up of Gregor McGregors on the fence, little informed tweeting on this for clicks.

usually respect the guy but he’s partially responsible for that backlash and frenzy last night - only to turn around and say two candidates are waiting by the phone, hughtons not out of it and all they heard was a discussion about back room staff with Holden - which they would have had with all other candidates as part of the process

I wonder if he's had a bit of a bollocking from the club about the story yesterday, hence him having a bit of a pop today about the length of time being taken, whilst still emphasising that it's not set in stone.

It doesn't matter now,

The damage done to the trust between fans and club is done and unless its hughton won't be repaired,

They really have no idea the ill feeling and anger that has fester due to the club incompetence and contempt to the fan base,

Its a good thing no fans will be at the ground as it will be toxic

The saddest and most significant part of this is:

We are all on this forum saying if it’s Holden we won’t go, will be done with the club etc but they know full well that we are buying customers who are significantly invested in this club emotionally and by the time stadiums open the doors we will all be lining up again

Ive nothing against holden but it would seem like a very odd appointment after sacking LJ for underperforming and then taking on his former number 2. I must admit then MA had the interview a while back and was biging up holden that sounded like they were looking at him. 

If they do take on holden ill support him as the city manager but with his appointment there wont be a honeymoon period with the fans and it could end up a very short term appointment if he donest hit the ground running.

23 minutes ago, JBFC II said:

To be fair, those accounts were from 2019 where we made a lot from sales, so not sure if that would come into it as well. 

Either way though, comparisons are rather futile due to the vast difference in wages. 

The point about squad fillers is interesting, the counter argument to that would be that a deeper squad is necessary in this league, with how many matches there are, and the intensity of those matches. Look at the few months of championship football under Cotts, a small squad couldn’t cope with the demands of championship football. I’m not sure about where we stand with FFP but I’d also say that those squad fillers shouldn’t stop us pushing the boat out on an experienced manager

Quality over quantity wins for me.  See below list of teams and how many players were used last season.  The more consistent your players, the less you need, the better you do?

I'd suggest we have too many fillers and it results in chopping and changing simply hoping to find a player with some form.

image.thumb.png.b01e665499ad73c46452f02767e37c44.png

6 minutes ago, lou2BS7 said:

The saddest and most significant part of this is:

We are all on this forum saying if it’s Holden we won’t go, will be done with the club etc but they know full well that we are buying customers who are significantly invested in this club emotionally and by the time stadiums open the doors we will all be lining up again

With respect, we’re not all saying that.  How many people would really not go?  A handful at most...

19 minutes ago, Monkeh said:

It doesn't matter now,

The damage done to the trust between fans and club is done and unless its hughton won't be repaired,

They really have no idea the ill feeling and anger that has fester due to the club incompetence and contempt to the fan base,

Its a good thing no fans will be at the ground as it will be toxic

Yeah with no fans, there has never been a better time to make a hugely unpopular decision. 

11 minutes ago, erndogz said:

Why? Is this personal or do you think every Bristol City fan wants him as manager.

Because he is high profile, that will smooth over the cracks and the vast majority would be happy

Cook would be acceptable to a majority

Holden will be rejected my most

13 minutes ago, erndogz said:

Why? Is this personal or do you think every Bristol City fan wants him as manager.

I do not think we all do.

However if you spell Houghton (best wine manufacturer in WA of OZ) or spell it Hughton. We need a manager of potential, football knowledge of the highest level in English league football and maybe with some luck some European experience.

There is no one currently at the club I.E DH that has this experience.

im still hoping for an over sees manager like on previous posts over last weekend will be appointed in coming days.

1 hour ago, super slick said:

Pat Lam is reportedly on £800k a year, approx £15k a week.

There is no way whatsoever Dean Holden will be on anywhere near that.  I'd go as far as saying out of the names linked with the job only Hughton and Gerrard would be above that.

Cook, Neil etc would be on a lot less than that!

Neil on over £1m according to one the Preston data guys I converse with.  Hence the buyout being significant.  He believes £2m not £3m.

36 minutes ago, JBFC II said:

Turnover: £17m vs £9m (Football 1st number / Rugby second)

Wages: £25m vs £9m

As you say the comparisons are futile. 

53 minutes ago, Back of the net said:

It's all about the timing.  Once the appointment is confirmed wait and see the amount of other news that will get released in order to deflect attention. 

This will include:- the new kit,  the new fixture list, lots of stuff on how they can justify keeping our season ticket money and give us Robins TV, some transfer activity and lots of videos of players retuning to training. 

The new manager announcement will be on page 3 of the website before you know it.

Well I look forward to all the releases as I'm sick to death of refreshing and seeing the article about holiday camps. ?

17 minutes ago, Back of the net said:

Quality over quantity wins for me.  See below list of teams and how many players were used last season.  The more consistent your players, the less you need, the better you do?

I'd suggest we have too many fillers and it results in chopping and changing simply hoping to find a player with some form.

image.thumb.png.b01e665499ad73c46452f02767e37c44.png

That could also easily come down to luck with injuries though, in which case squad depth is needed

34 minutes ago, Nogbad the Bad said:

You don't find MA quite so charismatic these days then?

Good question Nogbad..........Having heard him speak twice more since the first time I heard him when he came across as very charismatic he’s since lost that charisma and replaced it with over confidence or arrogance if you like............:dunno:

He’s dropped most of the corporate speak he used to come out with and is now more ‘normal’ in his dialogue which is obviously an improvement and leaves him less open to us fans piss taking him. ..........:cool2:

Maybe he’s realised that the best way to get the fans on side is to just communicate normally.

59 minutes ago, WolfOfWestStreet said:

I think that has been inflated by the talk of holden tbh. 

I'd imagine Holloway has a better approval rating for next coach than holden 

All we need now is Gregor to tweet it’s a 2 horse race between Pulis and Holden. No sooner than the fans say they’d prefer DH over Tiny, then he’ll be signed up.

I’ve got a horrible feeling that I can’t shake off, that we’re being played with via the media through this ridiculous recruitment process.

Archived