IGNORED

Other Manager Options (Merged)

southvillekiddy

9 hours ago, Mr Popodopolous said:

We could be but no, no,no!

I hope not- not convinced by any, personally- Fowler, Phil Neville- are you kidding??

Although none have managed at a high level the likes of Lowe & Wellens are driven full of passion and in my opinion would be way ahead of Holden 

5 hours ago, TedsHeadIs Red said:

I am increasingly convinced that the length of the process and the silence from the club means something odd is happening, but possibly in a good way. 
I reckon when the announcement is made, phrases like “I didn’t see that coming”, “wow, let’s go effing mental” and “well done City, I was never one of the doom merchants” will be common on here.

....Or Dean is still on the beach at Weston and they don’t want to disturb him to tell him the good news. Everyone deserves a nice holiday.

Oh no. Then I must make a confession. I did pass along the name Ralf Rangnick. I guess it will come out that Hughton was about to sign on and then this Rangnick fella name came along from some poster on OTIB and we dropped a ball... but thankfully we are pleased to announce that after an exhaustive search for Ralf and to double check his keenness to join our wonderful club he has decided to commence working for... 

.....Watford and Dean will start on Monday morning. As you were. OH no.

12 minutes ago, Shaun Taylor said:

Although none have managed at a high level the likes of Flyn, Lowe & Wellens are driven and full of passion and in my opinion would be way ahead of Holden 

I completely dismissed Ryan Lowe weeks ago, but he now sounds like a great idea.

I didn't want to start a new topic as the forum is congested, but it would be interesting to add a poll of less glamorous options that would be cheaper (ie Lowe, Flynn, Cowley, Wellens etc in addition to Holden) in line with the Post's speculation that this is a partially financial decision. It would be interesting to see where Holden ranks compared to those in people's preferences.

I think the likely winner would be Lowe.

4 minutes ago, mozo said:

I completely dismissed Ryan Lowe weeks ago, but he now sounds like a great idea.

I'm with you and was thinking of a higher profile manager but if you're left with Holden whose never managed at all then I would have tried getting one of the two mentioned who both have good contacts in the game 

So the Post is dropping titbit hints daily now in the clubs hopes of bringing the fans down slowly.

Lets not add fuel to the fire Foggy by making Holden slightly more palatable; compromise is a very dangerous thing.

As far as i am concerned appointing Holden would be a betrayal of the fans and of Lee Johnson. I mean what exactly is the point?

In the event he is I am sure MA has been practicing his spin speech daily for weeks now; i bet he redrafts it by the hour.

That said I am still believing SL will want nothing but the very best.

3 minutes ago, havanatopia said:

So the Post is dropping titbit hints daily now in the clubs hopes of bringing the fans down slowly.

Lets not add fuel to the fire Foggy by making Holden slightly more palatable; compromise is a very dangerous thing.

As far as i am concerned appointing Holden would be a betrayal of the fans and of Lee Johnson. I mean what exactly is the point?

In the event he is I am sure MA has been practicing his spin speech daily for weeks now; i bet he redrafts it by the hour.

That said I am still believing SL will want nothing but the very best.

The only good that will come out of this shambles will be the comedy gold when Ashton tries to spin the decision they have made... CodeRed will look like the little boy who cried wolf!

25 minutes ago, mozo said:

I hadn't - Lowe seems to build highly motivated squads with great team spirit and is a similar passionate, successful, and inspirational individual to Cook, albeit at a lower level thus far.

A character, leader even, who favours attacking football too.

If we're going for a younger manager with genuine potential then he'd be an intriguing choice imo.

I'd take a highly motivated squad with great spirit just for a start, and with that in place it's a reasonable expectation that improved football and results would follow.

4 hours ago, Phileas Fogg said:

I didn't want to start a new topic as the forum is congested, but it would be interesting to add a poll of less glamorous options that would be cheaper (ie Lowe, Flynn, Cowley, Wellens etc in addition to Holden) in line with the Post's speculation that this is a partially financial decision. It would be interesting to see where Holden ranks compared to those in people's preferences.

I think the likely winner would be Lowe.

Firstly, going back 5 weeks....do we really get “applicants” these days?  Doesn’t a multi million pound turnover business decide the people they want that match the profile they’re after, and then go out and try and get them?  Might not get their first choice though.

I agree, in the process they followed, at what point did manager x, y and z get rejected whilst Holden stayed on the list....and got an interview.  Did his 5 game caretaker spell trump other candidates?  Fine if so, but....

...I’m finding it difficult to see how the positives I saw from that spell translate into him being the fall-back (not full-back) option if we don’t secure Hughton, at the expense of several more qualified (on paper) managers.

I’m obviously more ok with Holden than others, but still confused how it’s come to this.

4 minutes ago, Davefevs said:

Firstly, going back 5 weeks....do we really get “applicants” these days?  Doesn’t a multi million pound turnover business decide the people they want that match the profile they’re after, and then go out and try and get them?  Might not get their first choice though.

I agree, in the process they followed, at what point did manager x, y and z get rejected whilst Holden stayed on the list....and got an interview.  Did his 5 game caretaker spell trump other candidates?  Fine if so, but....

...I’m finding it difficult to see how the positives I saw from that spell translate into him being the fall-back (not full-back) option if we don’t secure Hughton, at the expense of several more qualified (on paper) managers.

I’m obviously more ok with Holden than others, but still confused how it’s come to this.

I imagine we'd be sounding people out such as Hughton and Gerrard. As for applicants, I think people who wouldn't immediately come to mind like Christoph Daum probably applied and potentially people like Robbie Fowler. Like you say though, it wouldn't be a conventional appointment like in most businesses as there's still a fairly small pool of candidates to choose from.

In my opinion the board created the biggest issue for themselves - if they'd appointed Holden quickly citing Covid and needing to cut the cloth, fans might've been more accepting. I think people would've been a bit annoyed but there'd be more understanding. The issue is they've raised fan expectations and taken an awfully long time to appoint anyone.

It's created added pressure as people aren't going to give Holden much time and there'll be people calling for his head if we lose a couple on the bounce early in the season. To win fans round - he needs substantial transfer backing and a great start on the pitch. Anything less and the knives will be out especially if the likes of Eliasson leave. Perhaps they're seeing the lack of crowds as a positive and helped swing them round towards Holden as there'll be no booing and negativity in the ground for a while. 

You have to assume that Holden is a fall back option otherwise we'd have appointed him immediately. Back in 2016, it's clear now that LJ was always number 1 choice and any delay was down to negotiating compensation with Barnsley. It seems we've made a real mess of it whatever's happened.

4 hours ago, Malvern Red said:

The only good that will come out of this shambles will be the comedy gold when Ashton tries to spin the decision they have made... CodeRed will look like the little boy who cried wolf!

In the event he is still at the club yes. 

We have no idea what the next few days will bring. Good or bad it will for sure be a surprise.

Judging by the lack of links to foreign managers/head coaches it seems like this was something we really didn't consider. Which seems strange to me. 

We basically have a director of football in place in MA who controls players recruitment. Which is fine but a lot of British coaches particularly experienced ones like Hughton probably aren't going to like this. 

Overseas a director of football is basically standard practice so you aren't going to find to many foreign coaches who have an issue with it. 

Plus let's be honest their aren't that many top British coaches out there. Football is all about pressing possession football now but have any British managers had any success with this approach? 

Lots of top foreign coaches have already proven they are more than happy to come to a championship club. I just feel like we may have missed the boat here. Would love to see us play an attacking pressing game at Ashton gate think our fans would really buy in to this approach! 

How do you know we haven't?

I agree that everything currently points to Holden, but you'll look extremely silly if the next man in charge is foreign.

Nothing has been announced yet, so you are jumping the gun a bit. Mind you so is about half of OTIB, Twitter and Facebook....

I think the issue is that we don’t know we didn’t. Back to the problem that if we did, is it a case of - notwithstanding what you say - they didn’t like the constraints (Ashton) in place. You have to assume we did, but then that gets you back to how that makes Holden the best candidate five weeks later?

6 minutes ago, MATT BCFC said:

Judging by the lack of links to foreign managers/head coaches it seems like this was something we really didn't consider. Which seems strange to me. 

We basically have a director of football in place in MA who controls players recruitment. Which is fine but a lot of British coaches particularly experienced ones like Hughton probably aren't going to like this. 

Overseas a director of football is basically standard practice so you aren't going to find to many foreign coaches who have an issue with it. 

Plus let's be honest their aren't that many top British coaches out there. Football is all about pressing possession football now but have any British managers had any success with this approach? 

Lots of top foreign coaches have already proven they are more than happy to come to a championship club. I just feel like we may have missed the boat here. Would love to see us play an attacking pressing game at Ashton gate think our fans would really buy in to this approach! 

Maybe we have and the interview process has been delayed by Covid19 quarantine restrictions.  Who knows !!

1 minute ago, SuperDziek said:

So he’s got to quarantine for 14 days then? So a fortnight tomorrow at the earliest for the appointment then.

1 minute ago, ScottishRed said:

He won’t be at training on Monday then - 14 days quarantine 

Got no idea where he was, but if it was Spain you're right.

Can you imagine another 2 weeks of this - some will have a nervous breakdown.....Think some are already half way there going by some of the posts on here over the past few days!!

Or, we could assume we did look abroad and assume there were multiple good applicants. We could then deduce from these assumptions that they were interested and clicked well with MA, who completely sold them the 4-column vision (or whatever it’s called).

However, being assumptive here, as is the entirety of this thread, JL ate some magic mushrooms, decided that DH was foreign sounding enough and offered him the job on the spot.

Sometimes I despair of OTIB.

Archived