IGNORED

Other Manager Options (Merged)

southvillekiddy

59 minutes ago, southvillekiddy said:

Could be a lot in that. How much does MA know? You have to know a lot about football to recognise someone who knows even more than you do.

True. But look at the top managers in the Prem and the championship for that matter.

I love the idea that people on here seem to think they know more about football and the workings of a modern day football club than Mark Ashton. So let's look at his CV:

Youth team footballer at WBA making his debut at 18 but injuries and a realization he wasn't going to be good enough (his words) saw him walk away from playing. 

Goalkeeping coach at WBA

Switch to club management saw him work in numerous club departments at WBA

Left to become CEO at Watford where he stayed for 5 years

As part of an investment group bought into Oxford United where he became CEO

CEO at Bristol City

As a CEO of a football club you need a lot more than a knowledge of football. You need significant organisation and business skills. 

Are there better CEOs out there than Mark Ashton - Yes. Are there worse CEOs out there than Mark Ashton - Bloody hell Yes. 

Marh Ashton is still a positive for City for me. With regard to the playing side some of the deals he's managed to achieve have been astounding, particularly for a club that doesn't have parachute payment monies to work with. Has he made mistakes? Of course he has, there isn't a CEO on the planet who hasn't. 

1 minute ago, RoystonFoote'snephew said:

I love the idea that people on here seem to think they know more about football and the workings of a modern day football club than Mark Ashton. So let's look at his CV:

Youth team footballer at WBA making his debut at 18 but injuries and a realization he wasn't going to be good enough (his words) saw him walk away from playing. 

Goalkeeping coach at WBA

Switch to club management saw him work in numerous club departments at WBA

Left to become CEO at Watford where he stayed for 5 years

As part of an investment group bought into Oxford United where he became CEO

CEO at Bristol City

As a CEO of a football club you need a lot more than a knowledge of football. You need significant organisation and business skills. 

Are there better CEOs out there than Mark Ashton - Yes. Are there worse CEOs out there than Mark Ashton - Bloody hell Yes. 

Marh Ashton is still a positive for City for me. With regard to the playing side some of the deals he's managed to achieve have been astounding, particularly for a club that doesn't have parachute payment monies to work with. Has he made mistakes? Of course he has, there isn't a CEO on the planet who hasn't. 

So you are saying mark ashton is a football man not a suit.....

4 minutes ago, RoystonFoote'snephew said:

I'm saying he's both. He has real passion for football evidenced by the fact that he has remained in football by learning new business skills which could easily be transferred elsewhere. 

So the kind if person people want him replaced by because he isnt a football man

35 minutes ago, Chappers said:

Your ridiculous posts continue. We have an excellent owner, invested a lot in the Club and sport in Bristol, and some self-entitled idiot is moaning, because we have not made the top league, something we have managed for just 4 of the previous 100 years.

You just said it mate.

39 minutes ago, Chappers said:

Your ridiculous posts continue. We have an excellent owner, invested a lot in the Club and sport in Bristol, and some self-entitled idiot is moaning, because we have not made the top league, something we have managed for just 4 of the previous 100 years.

You just said it all there mate.

41 minutes ago, Chappers said:

Is that you?

2 hours ago, southvillekiddy said:

I'm annoyed that we aren't where we should be with all that we have going for us. Huge potential and catchment area of a million fans ready to follow Premiership football. A famous city with, as we have been reminded recently, wealth built on a dodgy history but still a marvellous place to live. BUT, I would argue, with a limited sense of public good. Private wealth and influence over public good. This was shown in the Ashton Vale Village Green fiasco. 23 selfish and probably influential people with a compliant Inspector convincing our council that what we all knew was a putrifying rubbish tip was in fact a leafy nature haven where cows had safely grazed for centuries. Our pathetic Council fell in with this and Steve must have been well pissed off. In a northern city those objectors would have been given short shrift. That man was attempting to build a World Cup venue, bringing sporting prestige to Bristol.

So yes a great city but limited. A top ten city without Premiership football. Our Club the greatest underachievers in the Football League.

Steve has developed the stadium to near Premiership standard (stupendous in comparison eg. to Bournemouth) so we don't need to cowtow to the pathetic Council. It's in our hands. But the pivotal factor is Steve Lansdown. I don't hate him but I would like him to set himself free. Put your energy into advertising/promoting the Club nationally and internationally, attract a top (foreign) coach and leave the football to the football people

It was not the councils fault they actually gave the go ahead for ashton vale it was the village green lot that scuppered it.

2 hours ago, Eddie Notgetinya said:

I respect your opinion but I think this post is ridiculous.

I’d much rather have a stable owner than some of the mad men out there.

SL built us the stadium and has our club well run with no danger of us going into administartion.

We are closing in on the premier league. Be careful what you wish for. 

I would agree with you as we have a chairman who nobody trusts but we're stuck with him unless you want to swap!

35 minutes ago, Monkeh said:

So the kind if person people want him replaced by because he isnt a football man

You need to proof read this. I'm not sure what it means. 

Basically I'm saying it's OK for posters to criticise MA if they think we could do better, after all it's a valid opinion, but for me the accusation that he's not a football man doesn't stick. He's spent his entire career in football in some capacity. He's more of a football man than SL, who's very much a businessman, but few would question hs passion for City. You can be a football man and where a suit. 

2 hours ago, southvillekiddy said:

I'm annoyed that we aren't where we should be with all that we have going for us. Huge potential and catchment area of a million fans ready to follow Premiership football. A famous city with, as we have been reminded recently, wealth built on a dodgy history but still a marvellous place to live. BUT, I would argue, with a limited sense of public good. Private wealth and influence over public good. This was shown in the Ashton Vale Village Green fiasco. 23 selfish and probably influential people with a compliant Inspector convincing our council that what we all knew was a putrifying rubbish tip was in fact a leafy nature haven where cows had safely grazed for centuries. Our pathetic Council fell in with this and Steve must have been well pissed off. In a northern city those objectors would have been given short shrift. That man was attempting to build a World Cup venue, bringing sporting prestige to Bristol.

So yes a great city but limited. A top ten city without Premiership football. Our Club the greatest underachievers in the Football League.

Steve has developed the stadium to near Premiership standard (stupendous in comparison eg. to Bournemouth) so we don't need to cowtow to the pathetic Council. It's in our hands. But the pivotal factor is Steve Lansdown. I don't hate him but I would like him to set himself free. Put your energy into advertising/promoting the Club nationally and internationally, attract a top (foreign) coach and leave the football to the football people

Rambling?..... Still running around the front room headless chicken?

19 minutes ago, RoystonFoote'snephew said:

You need to proof read this. I'm not sure what it means. 

Basically I'm saying it's OK for posters to criticise MA if they think we could do better, after all it's a valid opinion, but for me the accusation that he's not a football man doesn't stick. He's spent his entire career in football in some capacity. He's more of a football man than SL, who's very much a businessman, but few would question hs passion for City. You can be a football man and where a suit. 

It means people who want to replace ma because he isnt a football man and knows nothing about it are wrong,

Ma does the job he's employed to do well, his problem is he likes the sound of his own voice, i wish he would just shut up,

The only time I want to hear from the ceo is when the accounts come out,

New manager let the chairman lead

New investment let the owner lead

New player let the manager lead,

3 hours ago, southvillekiddy said:

But the pivotal factor is Steve Lansdown. I don't hate him but I would like him to set himself free. Promote the Club nationally and internationally, attract a top (foreign) coach and leave the football to the football people

Why don’t you say what you really mean? You want SL to put his hands in his pocket to fund this expensive foreign coach. As I’ve said before - easy to spend other people’s money. 

Once we’ve done that how about we ask uncle Steve to sign Ronaldo, then throw a hissy fit when he says no. 

3 weeks till the players are back for pre-season. 

If we don't see an appointment by the end of the week we're putting ourselves at an early disadvantage to the rest of the teams in the league that will be identifying and signing targets throughout the season close. You want these players in as early as possible because the pre-season will be shorter. 

35 minutes ago, TonyTonyTony said:

Why don’t you say what you really mean? You want SL to put his hands in his pocket to fund this expensive foreign coach. As I’ve said before - easy to spend other people’s money. 

Once we’ve done that how about we ask uncle Steve to sign Ronaldo, then throw a hissy fit when he says no. 

another fault on here. School-boy exaggeration

Look back at the last 15 years of wasting time resources and millions of quids on duff managers and players we could have spent on a top coach and his team

32 minutes ago, Monkeh said:

It means people who want to replace ma because he isnt a football man and knows nothing about it are wrong,

Ma does the job he's employed to do well, his problem is he likes the sound of his own voice, i wish he would just shut up,

The only time I want to hear from the ceo is when the accounts come out,

New manager let the chairman lead

New investment let the owner lead

New player let the manager lead,

I think what you say is fair enough but it's naive for anyone (not you) to think that a CEO is not going to have a major input or impact in the football club. The manager/head coach should always have the final say on the playing staff as its his head on the line, but its the CEO who is entrusted by the Chairman/Owner in the day to day running of the club. 

• Admin
11 minutes ago, Carey 6 said:

If we don't see an appointment by the end of the week we're putting ourselves at an early disadvantage to the rest of the teams in the league that will be identifying and signing targets throughout the season close. You want these players in as early as possible because the pre-season will be shorter. 

I thought they only had a two and a half week break after the PNE game

So that's a week of that gone already almost

5 minutes ago, phantom said:

I thought they only had a two and a half week break after the PNE game

So that's a week of that gone already almost

I heard it was 3 weeks from PNE game, not from today, I just worded it poorly in the previous post. 

You're probably correct though, even more important to get someone in ASAP then.

2 hours ago, Carey 6 said:

Less isn't it?

Think I read on here that Nagy said it was 2 and a half weeks. From final game, I make that August 8th or something like.

6 hours ago, BrizzleRed said:

To be fair, when O’Leary was ‘tried’, he put in some pretty solid performances and certainly looked more dependable than Frankie.  

He seems to be just another of those players who’s face didn’t fit with LJ.

Absolutely fine on the technical side, handling etc.

Needs to improve with his feet, more in terms of understanding the pace of the Champ and speed of thought of opposing players.

Commanding his box will come.

Still young in GK years.

Must be our no2 to Bentley next season and bide his time, and learn from watching.

15 minutes ago, Davefevs said:

Absolutely fine on the technical side, handling etc.

Needs to improve with his feet, more in terms of understanding the pace of the Champ and speed of thought of opposing players.

Commanding his box will come.

Still young in GK years.

Must be our no2 to Bentley next season and bide his time, and learn from watching.

Really think he’s got a promising future. Lower division loans are one thing, but from what we’ve seen so far, it doesn’t look that much of a risk for us playing him at Championship level and he could end up putting some pressure on Bentley to keep up his performance levels too.

5 hours ago, southvillekiddy said:

The Council sided with the view of the Inspector who represented the 'Village Green"

Actually they didn’t. The inspector recommended that the whole site was designated as a village green. The council only wanted to register half of it, allowing the stadium to be built on the remaining half.

This led to another judicial review and the prospect of a second inquiry. At this point SL said that if permission was given to redevelop Ashton Gate, Ashton Vale would be abandoned if half remained as village green and the other half could be used for housing.

Archived