Welcome to One Team in Bristol - Bristol City Forums

Welcome to One Team in Bristol - Bristol City Forums, like most online communities you must register to view or post in our community, but don't worry this is a simple free process that requires minimal information for you to signup. Be a part of One Team in Bristol - Bristol City Forums by signing in or creating an account.

• Start new topics and reply to others
  • Full access to all forums (not all viewable as guest)
  • Subscribe to topics and forums to get email updates
  • Get your own profile page and make new friends
  • Send personal messages to other members.
  • Support OTIB with a premium membership

Other Manager Options (Merged)

Mick did a good job at Ipswich with little investment. Frustrations made the experience go sour with the club and fans.

i think he has the credentials to give it a good go. Although he isn’t in my top 3

• Like 2
1 hour ago, MelksRed said:

I think Gregor is full of cr@p and, like the BBC on most matters these days, speculating based on little to no evidence...he can then claim he was ITK if one of the names he mentions comes up......#insertapppropriateexpletivehere

A bit like many on OTIB then!

:innocent06:

• Like 1
17 minutes ago, Red Exile said:

Intriguing...my assumption that it was was based on it suiting the club's purposes to put a marker on Hughton and Cook - to declare an interest - and to both be nice to Dean Holden and in the process throw up a bit of a smokescreen. But what do I know? In this case nothing!

I'd still note that in a job like Gregor's it wouldn't be wise to fall out with the football club...you'd tread carefully, as close to the line as possible with stories, without damaging future relationships.

Yep, BP are very careful.  Remember the Tinnion unhappy story?  Had that been made up, Gregor told me he would probably lose his accreditation with City.  Sure someone on here said it was Carey shit-stirring???

6 minutes ago, Badger08 said:

premier league epl GIF by KICK

Worth quoting again....love this gif.

1 hour ago, Olé said:

To have six people in your second round interview just means you weren't paying attention in the first interview.

Spot on.

I work in recruitment and I’ve never known 6 people go to second interview for one role in the 20 odd years I’ve been doing the job. You might see 4-6 people for a first interview but you’d never invite more than 2-3 back in.  

I don’t want to slate the club until there’s good reason but if there really are 6 second interviews that’s pretty farcical. 

• Like 4
1 hour ago, Davefevs said:

Think it’s the potential Qatar compensation that’s lowered his likelihood.  

I would hazard a bet that a lot of managers who go to the east when out of a job have agreements to waive compensation if a good European job comes in. 

• Like 2
3 minutes ago, marcofisher said:

I would hazard a bet that a lot of managers who go to the east when out of a job have agreements to waive compensation if a good European job comes in. 

Very possible.  👍🏻

1 hour ago, Suffolk Red said:

No No No

Killed Ipswich 

Evans killed Ipswich. McCarthy was single handedly keeping them in CH for years while cutting costs and no reinvestment.

I wonder whether the length of time taken could infer club negotiations.

For me that rules out Hughton, McCarthy, Adkins, and Holden.

That would leave the likes of Slot, Niel, Jokanovic, Cook, as viable candidates.

Part of me (that is hopelessly optimistic) hopes its between Jokanovic and Slot and the club cannot decide. Neil could possible be ruled ouot due to the compensation required whereas Jokanovic could waive. Slot only has a year left I believe.

But honestly would take any of Hughton, McCarthy, Cook, Jokanovic. Anybody who is a decent man-manager, to be honest, after LJ.

10 minutes ago, Fuber said:

Evans killed Ipswich. McCarthy was single handedly keeping them in CH for years while cutting costs and no reinvestment.

This is true BUT I question whether he, and maybe a great bulk of managers, could've kept them up in 2018/19.

In summer 2018:

Waghorn- Sold

Garner- Sold

McGoldrick- Left on a free.

Celina- Loan not renewed. Same with Carter-Vickers. 

Webster- Sold. He wasn't necessarily a key player however in 2017/18.

The first 4 though, goals and assists...McCarthy would've struggled with what they had left. Likewise Hurst may have done not so bad had he retains the above!

Edited by Mr Popodopolous
1 hour ago, MC RISK77 said:

Really? Thought he did a good job myself but maybe in a minority, they got rid of him after finishing comfortably then brought in guest who took then down next season

I live in Ipswich and believe me he bored the locals to death. Season ticket holders were leaving in their droves. True what followed was a disaster but the damage was already done- Mick had good money to spend wasted it and Marcus Evans closed the cheque book and went AWOL.

If you think we have had a depressing year you ought to see my Ipswich mates. Top at Christmas they missed the play offs - have tried not to laugh too much 😅 

• Confused 1
1 minute ago, Mr Popodopolous said:

This is true BUT I question whether he, and maybe a great bulk of managers, could've kept them up in 2018/19.

In summer 2018:

Waghorn- Sold

Garner- Sold

McGoldrick- Left on a free.

Celina- Loan not renewed. Same with Carter-Vickers. 

Webster- Sold. He wasn't necessarily a key player however.

The first 4 though, goals and assists...McCarthy would've struggled with what they had left. Likewise Hurst may have done not so bad had he retains the above!

Would that have happened had McCarthy stayed?

Waghorn, gone - but who would MM have signed? Garner was on a downward trajectory at 30, good business to sell. McGoldrick didn't want to sign a new deal and had been injured a fair bit the previous season.

Webster - McCarthy signed him and was willing to make him vice captain had injuries permitted. Don't think he would have been as willing to sell. He was eyeing Matt Clarke in January before he was sacked.

it would have possibly been a step to far, but they signed some utter shite under Hurst, who was well out of his depth.

6 minutes ago, Suffolk Red said:

I live in Ipswich and believe me he bored the locals to death. Season ticket holders were leaving in their droves. True what followed was a disaster but the damage was already done- Mick had good money to spend wasted it and Marcus Evans closed the cheque book and went AWOL.

If you think we have had a depressing year you ought to see my Ipswich mates. Top at Christmas they missed the play offs - have tried not to laugh too much 😅 

What a load of twaddle - Mick had less than a million pounds per season to spend on transfer fees whilst at Ipswich - he was there for six years and over that six year period he was given £5m in total to spend on transfer fees - how the hell is that “had good money to spend, wasted it” - utter rubbish ...

• Like 4
11 minutes ago, Fuber said:

Would that have happened had McCarthy stayed?

Waghorn, gone - but who would MM have signed? Garner was on a downward trajectory at 30, good business to sell. McGoldrick didn't want to sign a new deal and had been injured a fair bit the previous season.

Webster - McCarthy signed him and was willing to make him vice captain had injuries permitted. Don't think he would have been as willing to sell. He was eyeing Matt Clarke in January before he was sacked.

it would have possibly been a step to far, but they signed some utter shite under Hurst, who was well out of his depth.

The number of goals out the team in one summer though, that's catastrophic. 

Quite happy to pull up the stats later, but think they lost all but 20 goals IIRC.

7 minutes ago, BS4 on Tour... said:

What a load of twaddle - Mick had less than a million pounds per season to spend on transfer fees whilst at Ipswich - he was there for six years and over that six year period he was given £5m in total to spend on transfer fees - how the hell is that “had good money to spend, wasted it” - utter rubbish ...

Expenditure on transfers is only one part of the equation however.

Similar wage budget to Preston, Millwall, Sheffield United, Brentford in 2017/18?

Would have to check the graph earlier but I'm sure in 2017/18 it was within a similar range.

He certainly wasn't well resourced but you can argue these things a few ways.

Edited by Mr Popodopolous
  • Like 1

Regardless of my serious concerns about the delay in appointment and the appeared lack of planning. I think we all need to remember that SL wants success more than any of us. He's invested huge sums of money and time to help our club. He's not doing it for personal gain! 

Does it appear we've made some poor choices over the years.. yes!.... Was LJ given too long... Yes!... Do we need football people making football decisions.... Yes!

But trust me, SL will feel the pain more than us. He wants success for our club. Let's back the new man, whoever he is. Know that SL will be offering the job to the candidate he genuinely feels is the best fit...

If it works out, great!... If it doesn't , I hope he has the vision to appoint some football experts to make these appointments in the future. We could learn plenty from the Brentford model.

Up the reds, let's try and stay upbeat 

Thanks SL for continuing to invest into our shared passion 

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1
  • elhombrecito changed the title to Is there a press conference today?
  • TomF changed the title to Other Manager Options (Merged)