Welcome to One Team in Bristol - Bristol City Forums

Welcome to One Team in Bristol - Bristol City Forums, like most online communities you must register to view or post in our community, but don't worry this is a simple free process that requires minimal information for you to signup. Be a part of One Team in Bristol - Bristol City Forums by signing in or creating an account.

• Start new topics and reply to others
  • Full access to all forums (not all viewable as guest)
  • Subscribe to topics and forums to get email updates
  • Get your own profile page and make new friends
  • Send personal messages to other members.
  • Support OTIB with a premium membership

Other Manager Options (Merged)

As stated before, I believe SL and JL genuinely want the best for city. I don't question their intentions.

What I do question is the arrogance to think they're best placed to pick a football manager.

SL wouldn't let one of the city squad suddenly pick shares and investments for his business... So why would a financial expert be the best person to know who's a good manager and who's not?

MA has ran football clubs, but not a football man through and through. 

My frustration relates to the fact we don't have key top level football people running the show. We have financial experts... And Mark.

Surely, the two signings we need now are a good manager and someone who knows the game inside out... Connections, experience

• Haha 1
  • Confused 1

Firstly SL and JL don't pick the manager SL is the owner and JL is chairman of the board SL will likely take a recommendation after an explanation of the candidates they have reviewed and why they think that person is best. I would be surprised if JL is heavily involved other than interviewing and reviewing the short list with MA and probably Luke Werhun. 

You then seem to go on to say MA isn't a football man through and through - the quote used to be "get a football man". It seems that now we have one it's the wrong type of football man. Can you suggest a through and through football man that would be acceptable to you? 

• Like 4
26 minutes ago, TonyTonyTony said:

Meh. 

More judgement before we know the outcome. More Lansdown / Ashton bashing - pathetic to be honest. 

Pathetic because I have an opinion?

Wow, that's a narrow view. Let's just all pretend everything is ok 👍

• Haha 1
21 minutes ago, Pezo said:

Firstly SL and JL don't pick the manager SL is the owner and JL is chairman of the board SL will likely take a recommendation after an explanation of the candidates they have reviewed and why they think that person is best. I would be surprised if JL is heavily involved other than interviewing and reviewing the short list with MA and probably Luke Werhun. 

You then seem to go on to say MA isn't a football man through and through - the quote used to be "get a football man". It seems that now we have one it's the wrong type of football man. Can you suggest a through and through football man that would be acceptable to you? 

Perhaps someone who's been around, not working at present. Big Mick? 

Regardless of any suggestions, Im sure I'd get shot down

41 minutes ago, Matthew me said:

As stated before, I believe SL and JL genuinely want the best for city. I don't question their intentions.

What I do question is the arrogance to think they're best placed to pick a football manager.

SL wouldn't let one of the city squad suddenly pick shares and investments for his business... So why would a financial expert be the best person to know who's a good manager and who's not?

My frustration relates to the fact we don't have key top level football people running the show. We have financial experts... And Mark.

Surely, the two signings we need now are a good manager and someone who knows the game inside out... Connections, experience

Give it a rest.

• Like 1
2 minutes ago, Matthew me said:

Perhaps someone who's been around, not working at present. Big Mick? 

Regardless of any suggestions, Im sure I'd get shot down

Your right - because anyone can find a fault with anything, especially people. The stock answer to Mccarthy would be that we were picking a manager to run the club and he isn't qualified to do that, then all we would have is 2 managers. 

45 minutes ago, Matthew me said:

What do you think he is then? Been in football in one form or another since signing for West Brom when he was 13!

• Like 1
2 minutes ago, Matthew me said:

It appears I have a twin!

He's clearly a logical fella that doesn't mind asking the obvious questions 😉

Out of interest did you read the thread below?

image.thumb.png.c725b053e839657ca197d90356f06d06.png

1 hour ago, Matthew me said:

If this time round was just whoever Steve wanted they'd have been in place by now as that's just one person's decision as to who to go for. 

33 minutes ago, Matthew me said:

Maybe Matthew because it's your impatience that is the issue. Nothing has changed so far in respect of management since the topics you've created in the last few weeks.

You created a topic saying you would be dissulusioned with a manager like Mick McCarthy then two days later started another topic critizing the board saying we haven't got Chris Hughton or Mick in yet and what a disgrace.

Now your back on about the board again with a new topic moaning about their manager selection and decision making when they've not even announced the decision in the first place.

It's fine to voice your opinion and even become critical but maybe stop jumping the gun and see what pans out.

Edited by RedRoss
  • Like 4
1 hour ago, Matthew me said:

I do agree with what your saying to a large extent but you are becoming a little bit of a broken record now.

All we can do is wait for someone to finally be announced and we can all winge and moan from there.

Ultimately the club could possibly be run a little better but for the most part I think we are on the right tracks considering the club’s stature historically and financial level FFP wise.

• Like 1
18 minutes ago, Davefevs said:

Out of interest did you read the thread below?

image.thumb.png.c725b053e839657ca197d90356f06d06.png

I didn't, not yet. Away on holiday and only scanning a few threads and news articles

8 minutes ago, Show Me The Money! said:

I do agree with what your saying to a large extent but you are becoming a little bit of a broken record now.

All we can do is wait for someone to finally be announced and we can all winge and moan from there.

Ultimately the club could possibly be run a little better but for the most part I think we are on the right tracks considering the club’s stature historically and financial level FFP wise.

Broken record is perhaps fair. It's just concerning we've taken so long 

53 minutes ago, Matthew me said:

Well, it’s a pretty bizarre suggestion that a family which has plugged millions of pounds into a football club shouldn’t have a say in who the manager is.  Hardly arrogance, mate, normal business practice.  And do you really think they would make an appointment without getting an opinion from trusted contacts within football?  Steve Lansdown should be a hero to City supporters - it’s quite extraordinary some of the negative comments that are made about him.  It’s hard to understand what more people would want in a majority shareholder.

• Like 5
43 minutes ago, Matthew me said:

So you're happy with MA as our "man"?

I am very happy with the job MA has done with the goals he has been set.

Do you think he has done anything wrong within the direction he has been set by the board and owner? 

51 minutes ago, RedRoss said:

Maybe Matthew because it's your impatience that is the issue. Nothing has changed so far in respect of management since the topics you've created in the last few weeks.

You created a topic saying you would be dissulusioned with a manager like Mick McCarthy then two days later started another topic critizing the board saying we haven't got Chris Hughton or Mick in yet and what a disgrace.

Now your back on about the board again with a new topic moaning about their manager selection and decision making when they've not even announced the decision in the first place.

It's fine to voice your opinion and even become critical but maybe stop jumping the gun and see what pans out.

@Matthew me it’s probably worth commenting on the existing threads....that’s what I’m trying to say.  We all repeat ourselves, me included, but I try to keep it within existing threads.  Most threads go off in a tangent anyway, so there’s always a relevant thread. 👍🏻

24 minutes ago, Davefevs said:

@Matthew me it’s probably worth commenting on the existing threads....that’s what I’m trying to say.  We all repeat ourselves, me included, but I try to keep it within existing threads.  Most threads go off in a tangent anyway, so there’s always a relevant thread. 👍🏻

Thanks Dave. Point noted, thanks very much 👍

1 hour ago, RedRoss said:

I would be critical if Mick was the manager, but as a DOF with great links, I'd be ok with that.

It's all about opinions, I take your views onboard, but respectfully, I stand by my comments regarding concern about delayed appointments and limited football experience within the club 

10 minutes ago, Matthew me said:

I would be critical if Mick was the manager, but as a DOF with great links, I'd be ok with that.

It's all about opinions, I take your views onboard, but respectfully, I stand by my comments regarding concern about delayed appointments and limited football experience within the club 

Why isn’t mark Ashton a football man? Played the game and been involved in it for a long time. Not sure what you expect from someone in that role?

6 minutes ago, And Its Smith said:

Why isn’t mark Ashton a football man? Played the game and been involved in it for a long time. Not sure what you expect from someone in that role?

I guess a football man that's worked at the highest level, lots of experience, worked with various clubs, perhaps Prem experience.

Likes of Mick, martin o Neil etc 

• elhombrecito changed the title to Is there a press conference today?
  • TomF changed the title to Other Manager Options (Merged)