Jump to content

Welcome to One Team in Bristol - Bristol City Forums

Welcome to One Team in Bristol - Bristol City Forums, like most online communities you must register to view or post in our community, but don't worry this is a simple free process that requires minimal information for you to signup. Be a part of One Team in Bristol - Bristol City Forums by signing in or creating an account.

  • Start new topics and reply to others
  • Full access to all forums (not all viewable as guest)
  • Subscribe to topics and forums to get email updates
  • Get your own profile page and make new friends
  • Send personal messages to other members.
  • Support OTIB with a premium membership

IGNORED

Other Manager Options (Merged)


Recommended Posts

4 hours ago, Davefevs said:

I had a little bet on him earlier.

why? to me that's like pissing into the wind you may get a bit back.

Link to post
Share on other sites
13 minutes ago, Matthew me said:

I guess a football man that's worked at the highest level, lots of experience, worked with various clubs, perhaps Prem experience.

Likes of Mick, martin o Neil etc 

So you want an ex manager to be our CEO?

Link to post
Share on other sites
9 hours ago, Matthew me said:

So you're happy with MA as our "man"?

For now yes, why wouldn't you be?

He seems to be negotiating good deals for players, both incoming and outgoing, and looking after the business side of the football pretty well.

  • Like 4
Link to post
Share on other sites

I’m so excited.., both Cook AND Hughton to be appointed today... or so it would appear according to OTIBers on this forum. I have no clue who Will be our Head Coach I just want the person announced ASAP as it’s doing my head in waiting!

Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, richwwtk said:

For now yes, why wouldn't you be?

He seems to be negotiating good deals for players, both incoming and outgoing, and looking after the business side of the football pretty well.

Eddie wasn't a glowing success 

Entering five weeks for a new manager 

I'm sure he does lots of good, but I don't think he has the pulling power to attract talent. 

Link to post
Share on other sites
3 minutes ago, Matthew me said:

Eddie wasn't a glowing success 

Entering five weeks for a new manager 

I'm sure he does lots of good, but I don't think he has the pulling power to attract talent. 

You have no idea what he does or how he does it really. None of us do. Not sure why you’d assume the worst. 

Link to post
Share on other sites

We've certainly stumped TalkSport who have just announced they understand Bristol City are in the process of interviewing several candidates for the vacant managerial position.

  • Haha 1
Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, DOZZYBCFC said:

I’m so excited.., both Cook AND Hughton to be appointed today... or so it would appear according to OTIBers on this forum. I have no clue who Will be our Head Coach I just want the person announced ASAP as it’s doing my head in waiting!

Hughton DOF, Cook Head Coach. 

 

Heard it hear first :rolleyes::whistle:

Link to post
Share on other sites
7 minutes ago, maxjak said:

I believe that the ongoing saga of our appointment of a new manager/coach is even more boringly tedious than Brexit.......is this possible? 💤

Well it definitely mirrors our tedious football this season, so at least we’ve finally achieved some constency 🥺

Link to post
Share on other sites

Beginning to think that the identity of the new boss is irrelevant, compared to the question of timing. The imperative, in other words, is to allow whoever it is to say plausibly: “ Don’t judge me until I’ve had 3 windows and a full pre- season with the lads”. 

Link to post
Share on other sites
49 minutes ago, Nogbad the Bad said:

We've certainly stumped TalkSport who have just announced they understand Bristol City are in the process of interviewing several candidates for the vacant managerial position.

It's as though Talksport operates in an alternative universe in which time goes backwards. 

They went from Hughton done deal to several candidates. Next week they'll announce Lee Johnson has been sacked...

Link to post
Share on other sites

Most league clubs return to pre-season at the end of this week or next week.

Not a lot of time to get someone in now and the longer it goes on, the more I think that Dean Holden will be given the job on a short term contract.

 

 

Link to post
Share on other sites
19 minutes ago, mozo said:

It's as though Talksport operates in an alternative universe in which time goes backwards. 

They went from Hughton done deal to several candidates. Next week they'll announce Lee Johnson has been sacked...

I think Talksport took Hughton being interviewed as being a done deal.  Oops.

Link to post
Share on other sites

Disappointed not to see Arne Slot higher than 40/1 in the betting stakes. He’s my choice.

It’s a bonus that his sides play exciting, winning attacking football and he seems likeable. More importantly, his name makes the best anagrams. ‘Real Snot’ being just one of many.

  • Like 1
Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, maxjak said:

I believe that the ongoing saga of our appointment of a new manager/coach is even more boringly tedious than Brexit.......is this possible? 💤

That’s it! I knew it had a familiar feeling. Every name that comes up, half are for him, half are against. With each half throwing tantrums because the other half have an opinion that doesn’t match their own.

Link to post
Share on other sites

In the absence of Arne Slot I think Paul Cook is probably the best choice for those whose priority is to see good football.  

I think Dean Holden would also play easy on the eye football and bring through young talent. Whether we’d win much is another matter but I think we would. He could turn out to be a brave and inspired choice. Brave because most of the fan base want a ‘name’.

My favoured priority is to see attacking  football rather than a dour defensive setup that grinds out results to get into the pay-offs. As a few teams have shown, winning and playing entertaining football aren’t incompatible. 

Link to post
Share on other sites
7 minutes ago, And Its Smith said:

Holden to be appointed for 12 months to ride the covid storm, finish mid table, and then look for someone else once we know where we are financial wise.  

😬 that would be a terrible move PR wise. I can't see anyone being happy with that. 

Link to post
Share on other sites
4 minutes ago, Phileas Fogg said:

😬 that would be a terrible move PR wise. I can't see anyone being happy with that. 

If they decide it’s best for the club then that’s the most important thing. Maybe they are talking to managers and saying no budget for signings now as we don’t know when fans will be back, and managers are then saying thanks but no thanks. 

Edited by And Its Smith
Link to post
Share on other sites
2 minutes ago, And Its Smith said:

If they decide it’s best for the club then that’s the most important thing. Maybe they are talking to managers and saying no budget for signings now as we don’t know when fans will be back, and managers are then saying thanks but no thanks. 

It's possible but I don't think very likely. Covid or not, we're reasonably healthy financially and have some allowance within FFP this coming year (@Mr Popadopolous can correct me if wrong!). I can't imagine we'd be approaching managers like Hughton and sounding out Gerrard if we have no budget to play with. 

Link to post
Share on other sites
30 minutes ago, bcfcnick said:

In the absence of Arne Slot I think Paul Cook is probably the best choice for those whose priority is to see good football.  

I think Dean Holden would also play easy on the eye football and bring through young talent. Whether we’d win much is another matter but I think we would. He could turn out to be a brave and inspired choice. Brave because most of the fan base want a ‘name’.

My favoured priority is to see attacking  football rather than a dour defensive setup that grinds out results to get into the pay-offs. As a few teams have shown, winning and playing entertaining football aren’t incompatible. 

The fact that it’s “dragged” on in many of our minds, make me feel Holden is getting closer to being announced.

I am totally guessing, but in my mind, the club had one big last push with one or more of the other candidates at the back end of the week / over the weekend and if they reached an impasse, Holden is gonna get it. 

  • Like 1
Link to post
Share on other sites
53 minutes ago, Davefevs said:

I think Talksport took Hughton being interviewed as being a done deal.  Oops.

Accidentally on purpose perhaps?

28 minutes ago, And Its Smith said:

If they decide it’s best for the club then that’s the most important thing. Maybe they are talking to managers and saying no budget for signings now as we don’t know when fans will be back, and managers are then saying thanks but no thanks. 

You don't think that having the fans' buy-in is quite important?

  • Like 2
Link to post
Share on other sites
1 minute ago, Davefevs said:

The fact that it’s “dragged” on in many of our minds, make me feel Holden is getting closer to being announced.

I am totally guessing, but in my mind, the club had one big last push with one or more of the other candidates at the back end of the week / over the weekend and if they reached an impasse, Holden is gonna get it. 

I worry that you're right and there will be an inquest if out of 80-100 applicants "from around the world" and our supposed profile in the game, we end up with an internal rookie. 

I think Holden seems like a great guy, which I do think is important, but this is huge job for him to cut his teeth, and there's every chance it'll be too much for him.

For me, Holden's caretaker spell raised a few concerns and didn't assure me that he's ready.

Link to post
Share on other sites
3 minutes ago, mozo said:

Accidentally on purpose perhaps?

possibly, might’ve made 1 or 2 other clubs (Watford) think about him???

You don't think that having the fans' buy-in is quite important?
on that point, that RedDave makes, no.  Fans don’t understand that level of detail

 

Link to post
Share on other sites
4 minutes ago, Davefevs said:

The fact that it’s “dragged” on in many of our minds, make me feel Holden is getting closer to being announced.

I am totally guessing, but in my mind, the club had one big last push with one or more of the other candidates at the back end of the week / over the weekend and if they reached an impasse, Holden is gonna get it. 

Probably in a minority of 0.000000001%, but I wouldn't be disappointed at all.   

Link to post
Share on other sites
  • elhombrecito changed the title to Is there a press conference today?
  • TomF changed the title to Other Manager Options (Merged)

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.
Note: Your post will require moderator approval before it will be visible.

Guest
Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

  Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.

  • Recently Browsing   0 members

    No registered users viewing this page.

×
×
  • Create New...