IGNORED

No one to fear

where's the joy

Now we know who the rag tag teams are 'basket casing' their way out of the premiership; and that the champions of the league below have lost their star player because he is coming back to us, who should we be afraid of?

I can't see any other side to bully us like Leeds have been doing for the past few seasons, or outspend us illegally like the Villains.

Sure there are some talented managers who can get the most out of limited resources like Alex Neil at PNE but whoever we appoint as new coach will have to hit the ground running, as this has to be our year.

The field is wide open this season coming and City already have enough breadth in our squad to enable any new leader to find a formation that works. The players are here, they just need better coaching; the set up is oven ready for the premiership, let's make this season the one we aim for the top 2 and don't even think about flirting with the play off's.

We will never have a lack of alternate title contenders to match next season, so let's grab our chance.

SL's not getting any younger and he really wants to get us to the promised land

I looked down the list of teams myself and thought the same. I’d really like to get rid of Fulham tho. 

Although often the stand out team doesn’t present itself until part way through the season. 

Pick the right man and there’s no reason we shouldn’t be right up there. 

I agree that the coming season will be a serious opportunity for a club like ourselves to have an impact.

Unfortunately, I worry that it'll be a year of transition for us, adopting new methods and trying to assimilate a new look squad.

Teams with consistency will challenge. That could be the likes of Forest, Millwall, Derby, Cardiff and Preston. 

If our new head coach can work his magic very quickly we could be in the mix.

16 minutes ago, where's the joy said:

Now we know who the rag tag teams are 'basket casing' their way out of the premiership; and that the champions of the league below have lost their star player because he is coming back to us, who should we be afraid of?

I can't see any other side to bully us like Leeds have been doing for the past few seasons, or outspend us illegally like the Villains.

Sure there are some talented managers who can get the most out of limited resources like Alex Neil at PNE but whoever we appoint as new coach will have to hit the ground running, as this has to be our year.

The field is wide open this season coming and City already have enough breadth in our squad to enable any new leader to find a formation that works. The players are here, they just need better coaching; the set up is oven ready for the premiership, let's make this season the one we aim for the top 2 and don't even think about flirting with the play off's.

We will never have a lack of alternate title contenders to match next season, so let's grab our chance.

Of the teams coming down only I think only Norwich are likely to be challenging at the top end next season and even that could change if they lose a few of their better youngsters in Cantwell, Aarons and Godfrey although they would presumably reinvest any funds and would have parachute payments. Bournemouth and Watford could go either way dependant on managerial situations but do seem a lot less settled than Norwich. There is certainly not a Newcastle, Villa or Leeds type club that is too big for this division to worry about.

If Fulham go up then it will only leave Brentford of this years top teams that are comfortably better than we are at present and they would no doubt be on the receiving end of their annual raid and lose the likes of Benrahma, Watkins, Mbeumo. There isn't a lot of quality coming up from League One, Coventry may slot in mid-table but Rotherham and Wycombe will struggle so it does look wide open and with the right managerial appointment and signings we could really go for it next season.

Get rid of Fulham and I cant see anyone running away with it at this stage. If anyone I can see Stoke challenging. They have one more season of parachute payments and alot of deadwood are leaving so if they get a couple of key players in they could be decent.

But we don't Know how the relegated teams will cope. Bournemouth will cost cut youd assume, watford may try and go for it in the first season and norwich ran away with with pretty much the same squad. 

8 minutes ago, Redpool said:

Can see the likes of Stoke and Millwall being dark horses next season.

Agree with Stoke, Millwall are a funny one because they have been pretty consistent for a couple of seasons now as a top-10 side but appear to have no real quality to their side.

Assuming it is Fulham who go up I think both Cardiff and Swansea wll be there or thereabouts nex year too, starting to feel like the old League 1 table during the Danny WIlson days!

It's still going to be tough. Norwich and Bournemouth will be strong.

Assume that Cardiff Brentford and either Fulham or Swans, then add Stoke and a dark horse from the pack....

Derby and Forest always steady.... This will not be a walk in the park. Just because a couple of big names have gone, the championship will still be a solid league

8 minutes ago, Matthew me said:

Assume that Cardiff Brentford and either Fulham or Swans, then add Stoke and a dark horse from the pack....

Derby and Forest always steady.... This will not be a walk in the park. Just because a couple of big names have gone, the championship will still be a solid league

This. Next season will be bloody hard, regardless. A lot of decent teams, with lots to prove. The three clubs coming down will be strong, and this year's play-off losers will also be in the mix. 

Just now, SecretSam said:

This. Next season will be bloody hard, regardless. A lot of decent teams, with lots to prove. The three clubs coming down will be strong, and this year's play-off losers will also be in the mix. 

Don't think anyone believes it will be a cakewalk next season but it feels like the most "championship" Championship for a long time without the likes of Newcastle, Villa, Leeds, West Brom who are almost guaranteed to be top-6 whenever they are in this division.

42 minutes ago, where's the joy said:

I firmly believe that the only club to fear is Bristol City Football Club .

We shoot ourselves in the foot time and time again grasping defeat from the jaws of victory. 

I was interested to read an article on Wolverhampton Wanderers where it was written that they had to change their psychology after being losers for so long. They didn’t believe that they merited success and this transmitted itself right throughout the club .

We are getting there but this is why we need a strong successful personality as head coach .

LJ was also soaked in doubt through his historical connection with the club ( failure to beat Hull in the playoff final for example) and couldn’t quite break out . 

This next appointment is crucial to the club . Screw it up and we could easily slip back into obscurity. Get it right and we are ready for take off . 

Over to you City .

45 minutes ago, Major Isewater said:

I firmly believe that the only club to fear is Bristol City Football Club .

We shoot ourselves in the foot time and time again grasping defeat from the jaws of victory. 

I was interested to read an article on Wolverhampton Wanderers where it was written that they had to change their psychology after being losers for so long. They didn’t believe that they merited success and this transmitted itself right throughout the club .

We are getting there but this is why we need a strong successful personality as head coach .

LJ was also soaked in doubt through his historical connection with the club ( failure to beat Hull in the playoff final for example) and couldn’t quite break out . 

This next appointment is crucial to the club . Screw it up and we could easily slip back into obscurity. Get it right and we are ready for take off . 

Over to you City .

It's been over to them for a month

Can't see a runaway team, but more like a pack of 7-10 teams that could be there. It will likely be very close. I'm not sure after we lose Maenpaa, Smith, Williams, Afobe, Diedhiou and Eliasson that we're strong enough to be part of that pack yet - depends on who we get in to replace them, with post-COVID recruitment likely to be very hard. There could be a lot of pressure on the shoulders of Walsh, Morrell and maybe even Semenyo.

FWIW, I think the top contenders will be Norwich, Watford, Bournemouth, Cardiff, Forest, Stoke, Fulham/Brentford, Derby; with the likes of Millwall, Swansea and Preston on the tails of the playoffs. 

There may not be a clear-cut team at the top, but there are many, like us, who will see this as a real chance. It will be just as tough as ever.

It seems to me like it was 20/230 years ago,when there always seemed to be 10,even 12 clubs with a chance of promotion,just hope we appoint the right person and are one of the 12.

4 hours ago, Redpool said:

Can see the likes of Stoke and Millwall being dark horses next season.

Absolutely. Stoke weren't nearly as bad as where they finished this season. Barnsley should improve as well next term. Then there's the usual suspects of QPR, PNE and Sheff Wed, all who could come strong or could equally fade away again (notwithstanding potential points deductions).

Overall Wigan being relegated is huge for a team like us. On the pitch they absolutely did not deserve to go down and had they stayed up and retained that team and manager I would have seriously considered sticking decent money on them for a top 6 finish in 2020/21.

4 hours ago, Matthew me said:

Exactly. Honestly, we have plenty of teams to fear.

13 minutes ago, ExiledAjax said:

Absolutely. Stoke weren't nearly as bad as where they finished this season. Barnsley should improve as well next term. Then there's the usual suspects of QPR, PNE and Sheff Wed, all who could come strong or could equally fade away again (notwithstanding potential points deductions).

Overall Wigan being relegated is huge for a team like us. On the pitch they absolutely did not deserve to go down and had they stayed up and retained that team and manager I would have seriously considered sticking decent money on them for a top 6 finish in 2020/21.

Exactly. Honestly, we have plenty of teams to fear.

Sheff Wed I believe are in a bit of a pickle. Squad down to bare bones. Jordan Rhodes is their only forward at the moment and they'll be relying on loans.

5 hours ago, SecretSam said:

Its going to be hard because of covid,

Fans won't get to watch or limited,

Player trading will be effected 

27 minutes ago, mozo said:

Sheff Wed I believe are in a bit of a pickle. Squad down to bare bones. Jordan Rhodes is their only forward at the moment and they'll be relying on loans.

I get where you're coming from. They're going to be a wild card for sure.

IMO Barnsley are the massive dark horses next season. This season's stats point to them being far lower in the table than they 'deserve'. I am not certain how many of their squad this season was loans but I don't think it was many. If they continue to play the positive football they showed this season, and can tighten up a little at the back, then they'll be a good team to watch and should finish much higher up the table.

Just now, Baba Yaga said:

Its too early to judge after being relegated but I think Bournemouth and Watford are very strong contenders automatic next season. For me they are better than Cardiff and Fulham who got relegated the previous season and both managed the play offs this year.

Bournemouth will lost alot of their squad imo,

Same with watford

9 hours ago, cider hoss rules said:

I think Stoke have turned the corner in a big way, and I see them as real contenders in the coming season.

Yes, but one caveat....they need to cut their wage bill....last PP year next season.

8 hours ago, Dolman_Stand said:

Agree with Stoke, Millwall are a funny one because they have been pretty consistent for a couple of seasons now as a top-10 side but appear to have no real quality to their side.

Assuming it is Fulham who go up I think both Cardiff and Swansea wll be there or thereabouts nex year too, starting to feel like the old League 1 table during the Danny WIlson days!

Jed Wallace, Marlon Romeo, Ryan Woods and Jayson Molumby (on loan) are v.good players.

10 minutes ago, Davefevs said:

Yes, but one caveat....they need to cut their wage bill....last PP year next season.

Jed Wallace, Marlon Romeo, Ryan Woods and Jayson Molumby (on loan) are v.good players.

The last year of PP I get, but if they are as strong as I think they will be and they are in with a shout come the mid point transfer window (whenever that might be)  I think they will go for it.

Start the cycle all over again so to speak.

17 minutes ago, cider hoss rules said:

The last year of PP I get, but if they are as strong as I think they will be and they are in with a shout come the mid point transfer window (whenever that might be)  I think they will go for it.

Start the cycle all over again so to speak.

Don’t get me wrong, as it stands, I totally agree, they look a strong, well organised side.

Archived