IGNORED

Bournemouth vs Hawkeye / VAR

Dolman_Stand

2 minutes ago, Lrrr said:

The difference is VAR is subjective decision making vs a technology failure not registering a goal, no subjective decision about whether or not its a goal it just was.

But my argument stands. How can they prove that the Sheffield Utd goal would have been the final outcome? They literally can't. The judge will and should say, there is no proof that this goal would have been a final outcome and that's that.

5 minutes ago, 2015 said:

But my argument stands. How can they prove that the Sheffield Utd goal would have been the final outcome? They literally can't. The judge will and should say, there is no proof that this goal would have been a final outcome and that's that.

Not saying they're likely to get anything just pointing out the difference when people say 'but VAR decisions...'

I can see them getting some form of compo out of it as it's a clear technical failing that has ultimately contributed / resulted in a loss to them. The question is whether they are willing to take it all the way to court and incur legal fees in doing so for what is likely to be a nominal payout.

The day that league placings are decided by Courts is the day I go and watch Non League Football......for good.

The laughable thing is the number of people who KNOW FOR AN ABSOLUTE FACT that had the goal been awarded there would have been no further goals scored in the remaining 59 minutes and Sheffield United would have won 1-0..........

26 minutes ago, phantom said:

If they had made noises about it at the time we could maybe take this a but more seriously but, hints of real desperation now

Exactly the point I was going to write. I can’t blame them for asking the question, but they should have done it immediately no matter what their league position was.

1 hour ago, Snufflelufagus said:

Wouldnt Villa have stayed up on goalscored even without the extra point?

Goal difference was worse than Bournemouth's (and would have been even worse if the goal stood). That would have relegated them wouldn't it?

2 hours ago, LondonBristolian said:

Villa would have been 1-0 down at home to a team who went on to lose their next three games. Going in behind at half time might have meant Dean Smith approached the second half differently. They might have equalised, they might have gone onto win the game. Sheffield United's goalscorer might have taken his shirt off to celebrate the first goal since lockdown and got booked, then got a second yellow for arguing with the ref. Dean Henderson might have jumped up and down in celebration of the goal, landed awkwardly and sprained his ankle and Villa might have got five in the second half. We don't know. But we do know that, had that goal gone in, it would have been a completely different game.

Nail.... Head... 

Always something I've said about disallowed goals. Villa may well have gone on to win the game by 2 or 3 goals and may have had a run of wins afterwards. 

Bournemouth had the same time to pick up points when the football started up and didn't get enough wins to stay up. To blame their relegation on this is straw clutching and barrel scraping all in one go. 

45 minutes ago, Numero Uno said:

The day that league placings are decided by Courts is the day I go and watch Non League Football......for good.

Could well be for championship this season, if none of Sheffield Wednesday, Derby or Reading get a punishment I expect Charlton could take action. Wednesday's breaches could see a high points deduction and would only need 9 taken off for relegation. Sceptical Derby would lose enough for relegation and not sure on how many Reading could face.

2 hours ago, Spud55 said:

I'm not sure I entirely like it, but in any other walk of life if one company's **** up was partly responsible for yours losing 100+ million quid you would be all over them like a rash. Football ahs become a business and therefore is going to be conducted like one and that means brining in litigation when another companies failure impacts yours. 

Although it's a crazy situation - and one that will no doubt result in failure - contractually I wonder where Bournemouth stand?

If Hawkeye's services are paid for by the Premier League wouldn't they be ones responsible for the failure of a supplier they've chosen to use. No club has a direct contract with Hawkeye, do they?

Utopia I know but how incredible it would have been if the keeper and/or defenders who clearly saw the ball over the line had indicated such! Probably would be ostracized by most of Villa's fans (and even other fans) and maybe even moved on but just to see some sportsmanship (sportspersonship?). See also Manuel Neuer, Roy Carroll.

Pipe dream I guess with the rewards as they are.

I think that they might actually get some comps for that (ironically similar e.g. to Sheffield United in 2006/07 with Carlos Tevez and West Ham). But, as I've said, I would think they don't have the legal way for litigation and potential reinstatement (again, I believe that there's an agreement that clubs can't bring up legal recourse for missed/blown calls for the season). 

The other problem would be then what about the calls for them (e.g. spurs not getting a penalty vs them in a nil-nil) that the league already admitted a mistake for. It would go around and around in circles. 

19 hours ago, Fordy62 said:

To plat devils advocate, I think they were probably the 4th worst team in the league over the course of the season.  

The goal, for which they’re seeking compensation was a goal. An absolute factual goal. There’s no degree of subjectivity, it’s a fact that it should have stood. All the VAR decisions are subjective and cannot be compared. They should have finished above Villa, but for that mistake. 

As LB said it’s not that simple.

Do Bournemouth win the last game if they go into it only needing a draw? Do they setup differently?

If that goal stood, and villa went on to lose, the rest of the season changes

1 minute ago, MarcusX said:

As LB said it’s not that simple.

Do Bournemouth win the last game if they go into it only needing a draw? Do they setup differently?

If that goal stood, and villa went on to lose, the rest of the season changes

Who knows eh? But it was defo a goal and I ******* hate Villa. 

19 hours ago, Snufflelufagus said:

No

4 minutes ago, Fordy62 said:

Who knows eh? But it was defo a goal and I ******* hate Villa. 

Me too, I really wanted them to go down although I think they’d be stronger competition than Bournemouth next season

4 minutes ago, MarcusX said:

No

Me too, I really wanted them to go down although I think they’d be stronger competition than Bournemouth next season

Yep. Defo. Have you read about the financial shit Bournemouth are in? They owe 80m in transfers, didn’t write relegation clauses into player contracts and EH is on 4m a year apparently!

Just now, Fordy62 said:

Yep. Defo. Have you read about the financial shit Bournemouth are in? They owe 80m in transfers, didn’t write relegation clauses into player contracts and EH is on 4m a year apparently!

To be honest I’ve only read what people write on here so don’t know the truth to it. I was under the impression they’ll have financial difficulty but if that’s true about relegation clauses - presume pay cuts? - then that would be concerning!

Probably not big enough for Sky to get over excited by them next year and put the on the TV every week like they would have Villa either

On 28/07/2020 at 12:15, Snufflelufagus said:

Nope, their GD was worse and would've been one worse had the technology done precisely what it was there to do.

You can bet if roles were reversed Aston Villa and their supine pundits possibly would be crying blue murder.

On 28/07/2020 at 12:18, Portland Bill said:

Bournemouth cheated ffp in the first place to go up. 

Ive zero sympathy for them, how can a club get away with a token fine for breaking the rules which led to promotion, get hundreds of millions of £££ because of that cheating, then complain about another team getting the rub of the green. 

League 2 awaits them........hopefully. 

So did Aston Villa tbh.

I'd say Aston Villa's is worse- Plague on both their houses.

Have to be the spawniest club I've seen in a long time, Aston Villa.

Archived