IGNORED

Paul Cook

BCFC1512

Just now, Lrrr said:

If Cook is the favoured choice it also shows why we were willing to wait for the end of the season, no way Cook was leaving Wigan in the lurch before the end of season and wouldn't be getting interviewed until after

Yes this is a very valid point. I would also give Lansdown and Ashton credit for taking their time and doing a full proper process. This is of course assuming that they get their man.

35 minutes ago, Phileas Fogg said:

A chunk of our fanbase will no doubt turn their news up at him because he's not Gerrard or Hughton. I can understand that in a way after all the rumours about more glamorous potential managers.

As I said on the Hughton thread, in some ways he might be a better fit. He's used to working within a budget and has a very respectable record of his own.

I think he'd be a very decent choice and might be exactly what we need. 

I’d prefer Cook to to Gerrard tbh, Hughton would be my ideal choice and for me shows the club is making a real statement of intent.  But the proof is in the pudding as they say.  I’d be happy with Cook.

I'd be more than happy with Cook.

Their run/surge since the start of 2020 was fantastic. Always a feeling their results were not matched by performance levels prior to this.

His away record was a concern with two wins in a season and a half! Didn't he win 5 or was it 6 from start of January.

His style of play can be mixed. Can depend on the opposition a bit but NOT in an LJ way, more like same or similar shape just more emphasis on possession, or pressing, or counterattack.

That's fine, to tweak within a broad framework every now and then. Seems a pretty reasonable watch overall however.

Can someone explain why some are doing cartwheels over a manger with promotions from Lg 1 & 2 over a proven manager with promotions from our division to the Prem??

Clearly a good manager, but clearly and literally a level down in terms of quality from CH at present?

9 minutes ago, Lrrr said:

Was it you with a bet on Hughton as well at like 16/1? Getting good odds

Nah. I have £25 on Robins and Cook, both at 20’s. 

in fact I think one of them might be £28 at 18’s or something like that. I just bet on the two I wanted and considered realistic. 

Hughton and Cook would be my first two choices for separate reasons. 

Hughton would be the glamour choice, been there and done it in the league, two promotions and a mid-table prem finish with Norwich. Tactically sound, Reports from Brighton fans say he understands the style of football required for promotion before sitting back in the Prem to ensure survival. 

Cook has worked his way up, and during the second half of this season his Wigan side were one of the in form team's in the division. Just a shame that the way their club is being run has lead to their possible relegation. 

Cook has worked on a modest budget all of his career, I would be very interested to see how he could work with our current squad with a few tweaks in key positions. If he can bring Joe Williams with him then even better, I see him as a player who could be worth big money in the furture. Cook also seems to develop players well. 

My only question mark over Hughton would be if he would demand heavy investment. Brighton spent abit of money during his time there, and Newcastle were the heavyweights in the division during his promotion season there. 

Overall I feel Cook may be the best fit for our current model. Seems to be a fantastic man manager as well. 

1 minute ago, Winston said:

I may be wrong but I thought I read somewhere that after Pompey his preference was to work back up north to be closer to his home. If that is the case and he does get the job, it makes you wonder if that could become an issue.

Depends if you’re being paid twice as much I suppose. 

I think that Hughton would take a job at a relegated Premier League club like Watford, that are going to be getting parachute payments, over another club in the Championship, who are looking to lay off staff and draw the purse strings in for next season.

Cook would appear to be a good option and sensible one, but those wanting Gerrard will be spitting their dummies.

4 minutes ago, redordead1 said:

Can someone explain why some are doing cartwheels over a manger with promotions from Lg 1 & 2 over a proven manager with promotions from our division to the Prem??

Clearly a good manager, but clearly and literally a level down in terms of quality from CH at present?

I think a lot of people now believe that Hughton isn't coming or he would have been here by now. Personally I think he's waiting for Watford or possibly Palace if Woy goes 

2 minutes ago, redordead1 said:

I think the club’s information blackout and delay in an appointment has really driven down our expectation levels.  

I think it will just be a relief to see someone pretty decent on board.  He isn’t the spectacular and more ambitious signing many were hoping for, but there were many worse options being mentioned.

I would be happy with Mr Cook, even considering Mr Hughton is currently out of work you would have thought if he was interested or even approached some kind of yes or no would have been more or less sorted by now.

For all the pages on his thread(s) some seem to think just because we have a vacancy he should have been appointed already, but the fact remains, he might not want the job here.

This one will split the fan base. Like many other posters I would actually be happy with this appointment IF Hughton isn’t available.

Good track record, done well at Wigan given the circumstances and seems like an all round good bloke

Would LJ have got the same out of that group of players at Wigan? I don’t think so

Good manager and given the chance with a decent budget could be our man.

I would have a slight tinge of disappointment if we had the chance to appoint someone like Hughton who I think is not only ideal for us in our current state but also in the next calibre bracket of manager, it would maybe feel like an opportunity lost.

29 minutes ago, Lew-T said:

I would be over the moon with Cook to be honest. He is my second choice.

A real mans manager, promotions on his CV and worked wonders at a very poorly run Wigan. I’m pleasantly surprised we’re looking at him, as I didn’t think he would fit the boards brand project.

My second choice too, behind Hughton....although I’ve always said I wasn’t that excited by Hughton.  It’s been a weird recruitment drive (not over yet, either)!

8 minutes ago, Mr Popodopolous said:

I'd be more than happy with Cook.

Their run/surge since the start of 2020 was fantastic. Always a feeling their results were not matched by performance levels prior to this.

His away record was a concern with two wins in a season and a half! Didn't he win 5 or was it 6 from start of January.

His style of play can be mixed. Can depend on the opposition a bit but NOT in an LJ way, more like same or similar shape just more emphasis on possession, or pressing, or counterattack.

That's fine, to tweak within a broad framework every now and then. Seems a pretty reasonable watch overall however.

Earlier this season they lost a lot of points very late in games, inc against us when Pedro equalised in injury time at AG.

7 minutes ago, redordead1 said:

I would imagine (if appointed) the board think he is a better fit for where the club are and aspire to get within the budgets set out.  He has a very good eye for a player, not dissimilar to Cotts on that respect.

At Wigan - Jamal Lowe from Portsmouth, Antonee Robinson and Joe Williams from Everton u23s, Cedric Kipre from Motherwell, nurturing the likes of Reece James of Chelsea, showing good contacts too.

His Chesterfield side played good football in our promotion season, including players like Sam Morsy (now Wigan), Darikwa, Daniel Johnson and Clucas.

6 minutes ago, AshtonRobin21 said:

Hughton and Cook would be my first two choices for separate reasons. 

Hughton would be the glamour choice, been there and done it in the league, two promotions and a mid-table prem finish with Norwich. Tactically sound, Reports from Brighton fans say he understands the style of football required for promotion before sitting back in the Prem to ensure survival. 

Cook has worked his way up, and during the second half of this season his Wigan side were one of the in form team's in the division. Just a shame that the way their club is being run has lead to their possible relegation. 

Cook has worked on a modest budget all of his career, I would be very interested to see how he could work with our current squad with a few tweaks in key positions. If he can bring Joe Williams with him then even better, I see him as a player who could be worth big money in the furture. Cook also seems to develop players well. 

My only question mark over Hughton would be if he would demand heavy investment. Brighton spent abit of money during his time there, and Newcastle were the heavyweights in the division during his promotion season there. 

Overall I feel Cook may be the best fit for our current model. Seems to be a fantastic man manager as well. 

Very principled manager, speaks sense and doesn’t bullshit....my one worry was whether SL would take to a gruff scouser, because everything else points to a good manager.

On an earlier thread a few weeks ago I posted an in-depth review of Cook’s recruitment in his previous jobs. It’s an eye opener and he’d certainly be someone who I’d like, given his penchant for signing players whom I’ve always liked. 

It’s an interesting juxtaposition though. Cook & Hughton are like chalk & cheese. 
Cook would fit the mould more than Hughton. Hughton has the Championship cv, Cook the L1/L2 successes. But....Cook’s success has been on a restricted budget and achieved through superb recruitment and man-management. Hughton arguably has achieved his success with bigger budgets. 
They are also wildly different characters who would bring a hugely different ‘image’ for the club. Hughton is the softly spoken, thoughtful and mild-mannered face of a club. Cook is more of a brash, in her face northerner, he’d definitely ‘connect’ more with a wider range of the fanbase and he also appears to be ‘one of the lads’ with the team. 
2 incredibly different ‘faces’ for the club. 

For what it’s worth, given our set-up, I think Cook fits it more and I’d be happy with him (as said, particularly if he has enough influence in transfers because his shortlist is always very similar to mine!). 
The one thing that concerns me about Cook is for his own health! He seems to lose his voice after every game - imagine what he’d have to do here!!! I’d worry for his voice! 

2 minutes ago, Harry said:

On an earlier thread a few weeks ago I posted an in-depth review of Cook’s recruitment in his previous jobs. It’s an eye opener and he’d certainly be someone who I’d like, given his penchant for signing players whom I’ve always liked. 

It’s an interesting juxtaposition though. Cook & Hughton are like chalk & cheese. 
Cook would fit the mould more than Hughton. Hughton has the Championship cv, Cook the L1/L2 successes. But....Cook’s success has been on a restricted budget and achieved through superb recruitment and man-management. Hughton arguably has achieved his success with bigger budgets. 
They are also wildly different characters who would bring a hugely different ‘image’ for the club. Hughton is the softly spoken, thoughtful and mild-mannered face of a club. Cook is more of a brash, in her face northerner, he’d definitely ‘connect’ more with a wider range of the fanbase and he also appears to be ‘one of the lads’ with the team. 
2 incredibly different ‘faces’ for the club. 

For what it’s worth, given our set-up, I think Cook fits it more and I’d be happy with him (as said, particularly if he has enough influence in transfers because his shortlist is always very similar to mine!). 
The one thing that concerns me about Cook is for his own health! He seems to lose his voice after every game - imagine what he’d have to do here!!! I’d worry for his voice! 

I think the most interesting aspect of Paul Cook is that he has been successful everywhere on limited budgets. I too remember the Chesterfield side with Eoin Doyle being their star man. The next logical step for Cook is with a club like ours, the question is does he have the ability to make that step up a success.

Archived