IGNORED

Paul Cook

BCFC1512

Interesting this because although Cook no doubt fits the Budget better I can’t see how he fits the Head Coach role & working with Ashton better than Hughton. 

So if Cook gets the job it can only mean one of two things:
1) Hughton was not interested in the job enough

2) Budget requirements considerably outrank Board Ambition.

34 minutes ago, ExiledAjax said:

Have you done the stats on how many managers promoted from the Championship have done it before? Have you worked out the ratios and found a correlation between number of Championship games managed and likelihood of promotion? Have you corrected for the fact that managers who've done it before tend to be employed by clubs with bigger budgets and so start off with an advantage? Seriously, because I can't be arsed to do it so if you've got the figures to back up the claim it would be great.

I know you and the Mods might disagree, but I love that we have such an active forum.

Strangely enough no. 

It is a basic premise that experience in achieving a goal means that the individual has learned what is required. There is more too it than that, but it’s a good start.

I am more than a little surprised that all of a sudden - simply because the BP claims he has had an interview - that Cook becomes the ‘ chosen one’ on OITB.

13 minutes ago, Top Robin said:

If Cook can promote teams like Chesterfield, Portsmouth and Wigan with a rag tag squad and little money, just imagine what he may do with ours. 

Let's hope too many options & bags of lolly don't get him overthinking.

We know where he can get a second hand tombola,,one careful owner ?

1 hour ago, The Dolman Pragmatist said:

I think he’s got a point.  Cook dies look like a rather old-fashioned kind of guy, but you can’t judge a book by its cover.  I’m beginning to warm to the idea...

Prefer to have a manager who cares more about results & the team than what others think about their appearance. 

23 minutes ago, Top Robin said:

If Cook can promote teams like Chesterfield, Portsmouth and Wigan with a rag tag squad and little money, just imagine what he may do with ours. 

Lowere league promotions. We are surely looking for someone to take us to the top table, if we want a lower league success we might as well kept LJ or even Steve Cotterill - he didn't do a bad job in league 1.

I for one would be totally under whelmed by this appointment if it happens given some of the names linked with the job.

Might need to go in another thread but if it is Cook, certain players tend to follow him around, Kai Naismith, Jamal Lowe & Sam Morsy have all been with him twice.

Saw one Wigan fan reckon he would definitely look to bring Morsy with him, exactly the sort of midfield enforcer we lack.

Keiffer Moore is another they are trying to sell & would give us an alternative target man.

Whoever is eventually selected as our new manager, I will support him and City with full optimism. None of us was party to the interviews and board discussions so will have no inside track on the choice. We need to have faith in the Club leadership and support their choice. Lets welcome the new chap and let him see that we are worth impressing.

24 minutes ago, Cardy said:

Interesting this because although Cook no doubt fits the Budget better I can’t see how he fits the Head Coach role & working with Ashton better than Hughton. 

So if Cook gets the job it can only mean one of two things:
1) Hughton was not interested in the job enough

2) Budget requirements considerably outrank Board Ambition.

3) Hughton didn't impress Lansdown 

Lots of city fans talking shit as usual.

Because Paul Cook isn’t the big name they were hoping for ?

**** having a big name. As long it’s a manager with substance, i’ll be happy.

Paul Cook’s managerial career has been very good. I’d be happy with him if he’s appointed 

1 minute ago, Bat Fastard said:

Whoever is eventually selected as our new manager, I will support him and City with full optimism. None of us was party to the interviews and board discussions so will have no inside track on the choice. We need to have faith in the Club leadership and support their choice. Lets welcome the new chap and let him see that we are worth impressing.

I'm sure 99% will support him with optimism. But Cook wouldnt be exciting.

1 minute ago, Riaz said:

Lots of city fans talking shit as usual.

Because Paul Cook isn’t the big name they were hoping for ?

**** having a big name. As long it’s a manager with substance, i’ll be happy.

Paul Cook’s managerial career has been very good. I’d be happy with him if he’s appointed 

Got a little bet on by  any chance? ?

I made a synopsis on Cook a few weeks back. 

Hugely ambitious man, and a few fans of his previous clubs would question his loyalty. He certainly can spot the right time to jump ship. 

He got Chesterfield up into league 1 and their fans said there was no way he’d quit to go to League 2 Portsmouth but he spotted the chance to jump to bigger club who were massively underachieving. It took him 2 goes but he got them up.

Said he wouldn’t leave,  yet days after promotion jumped to Wigan who had just been relegated from the Championship but still with legacy parachute payments to make them a big fish in that division.

Gets Wigan up, and is now ready for the next leap.

I’m not being critical of his planning, and he clearly knows what he’s doing. However, don’t be fooled into thinking he had a rag tag low paid squad at either Pompey in L2 or Wigan in L1.

He has always played 4-2-3-1. Often dominating games but without creating clinical chances. At Chesterfield that one striker was Eoin Doyle, at Portsmouth he struggled to find the answer trying Marc McNulty, Michael Smith amongst others. 

He’s ready to move and I think we’d be better fit for his ambitions than Birmingham. 

I think it's worth highlighting why Cook would be a good appointment, not only in normal circumstances, but certainly in the current state of affairs.

We find ourselves in the middle of a worldwide pandemic that has led to fans not be allowed to attend games. This will no doubt cause huge financial burden for a number of clubs. And although we have a very well run club (all credit to SL, JL and MA), we are sure to be affected. Add to this the fact that we will be paying off LJ who had signed a new long term contract at the start of the season. 

We now have the option of 2 well respected managers (that have been mentioned in the press). Chris Hughton has been there and done it in this league twice, however will no doubt be after a high wage and a transfer budget to match his ambitions of getting us to the Prem. Or we have the option of Paul Cook, a strong man manager, 3 promotions, all achieved on relatively small budgets and yet to be given the opportunity to work at a club that can give substancial financial backing to improve his squad. 

Our playing squad is talented, although we need to strengthen in a number of key positions moving into the new season. The current circumstances mean revenue is down during the pandemic. I really can't see us being able to offer Hughton the wages he will desire, as well as a hefty transfer budget to match his ambitions. However, Cook would be a fraction of the cost and would be more likely to be happy to work the free agent market (a couple of good options available this year) as well as picking up some bargains. 

Now if we take into account that the LJ pay off will have affected our budget, and also the fact that we look set to move into the new season with fans still unable to attend games (therefore more financial loss). This points to Paul Cook being a very good candidate that matches the current position of the club. A good footballing CV, extremely unfortunate circumstances at Wigan will cast a shadow over their fantastic form over the second half of the season, and a manager who has an eye for talented players yet to reach their full potential.

It is likely that Cook would be able to recruit players that will improve the team without breaking the bank. I would highlight 4 realistic players from his Wigan squad who could potentially improve our squad (Morsy, Williams, Byrne and Lowe although he can be hit and miss). These could all be available for cut price deals if their points deduction is decided to be final.

Could it be considered a gamble? yes of course. However I think some have read to much into Hughton's interest in the job without considering the financial implications.

We currently find ourselves in a position where things have gone 'stale'. We were very loyal to a manager who improved us over his time with us, however the change was needed and perhaps we were too late in pulling the trigger. We now need a fresh start with a manager capable of getting the best out of a talented squad. 

For me Paul Cook is a very good candidate for where we currently are as a club. Our club model is attractive, however we are not currently a 'top 6' team, we are still in development. If he can man manage our talented squad as well as adding in some new additions without breaking the bank, then I believe we will be pushing for a top 6 place next season in what looks to be a very open league. 

44 minutes ago, Kingswood Robin said:

Not sure about rubbish. The dial seems to be pointing towards adequate and value for money and a bit less towards success. I think Paul Cook would have been good at the time of Lee Johnsons appointment. I have to ask though, if we can't attract and appoint better than Paul Cook now, what have we been doing?

This is my thoughts. When we were in the market for a manager after Cotts with the level that the club was at in 2016 an appointment like Paul Cook would have been a great shout. You just feel though that in the past 4 years we have come further than a Paul cook - a manager who only has lower league success to his name. 

1 minute ago, Badger08 said:

For some reason I can't get excited about this at all. 

For me, Hughton was the perfect fit. I hope I'm wrong, this is yet again another gamble. 

Sky sports are saying Paul Cook has left 

Every new manager is a gamble

Not saying he is or isn’t coming here, but the fact it’s been announced he’s leaving Wigan shortly after the talk of interviewing here doesnt automatically mean he is.

If he’s already interviewed elsewhere, maybe we were the last suitor he wanted to hear from.

Also worth noting..

2 hours ago, LoyalRed said:

Hughton was available so we chased Gerrard, then when Gerrard said no we went back to Hughton who gave us 2 fingers and now we are scraping the barrel , well done !  Would have been happier keeping LJ.  Having heard Steve L’s interview he was looking for a manager who would take us to the next level and had experience in promotion from this league. 

Utter crap 

Archived