IGNORED

Paul Cook

BCFC1512

3 hours ago, tin said:

To say Hughton had large financial backing at Newcastle and Brighton is not true.

Hughton spent £5.6m when taking Newcastle up in 09/10, and £7.8m in Brighton’s promotion-winning season in 16/17. LJ, for comparison in 16/17, spent £11.4m in the same season.  

Back to Cook, he’d have my backing as long as he was able to bring in his own players. With Ashton calling the shots, I doubt he will.

What was Newcastle's wage bill, turnover, losses etc set against the League in 2009/10? Maybe I'll look it up tomorrow, he had one of the biggest budgets as you'd expect, the biggest and no mistake. Parachute Payments as well.

Not to say his work wasn't impressive.

Expenditure over years at Brighton, wage bill? Granted this would've been more against the odds! 

3 minutes ago, Badger08 said:

For some reason I can't get excited about this at all. 

For me, Hughton was the perfect fit. I hope I'm wrong, this is yet again another gamble. 

Sky sports are saying Paul Cook has left 

Yup. Happy to be proven wrong but nah - this appointment does not inspire at all. Hughton is the man.

5 minutes ago, bris red said:

This is my thoughts. When we were in the market for a manager after Cotts with the level that the club was at in 2016 an appointment like Paul Cook would have been a great shout. You just feel though that in the past 4 years we have come further than a Paul cook - a manager who only has lower league success to his name. 

To be fair to most observers we also only have lower league success to our name. We've not exactly taken the championship by storm, we've bobbled around mid table with the odd period in the top 6 the last year or two. Before that we were fighting relegation.

You could say based off that we're a good match - we both feel we've done the prep and are now getting ready to match our ambitions.

9 minutes ago, S_C said:

Not saying he is or isn’t coming here, but the fact it’s been announced he’s leaving Wigan shortly after the talk of interviewing here doesnt automatically mean he is.

If he’s already interviewed elsewhere, maybe we were the last suitor he wanted to hear from.

Also worth noting..

This is massive if true. Wouldn’t be surprised at all if he went there 

15 minutes ago, robin_unreliant said:

Just kidding. You seem quite passionate about Cook. Find it quite hard to see why without a vested interest myself. I'm no expert but his track record doesn't shout promotion to me. Hughton on the other hand... 

Vested interest? One of many good managers I’d be happy with

1 minute ago, IAmNick said:

To be fair to most observers we also only have lower league success to our name. We've not exactly taken the championship by storm, we've bobbled around mid table with the odd period in the top 6 the last year or two. Before that we were fighting relegation.

You could say based off that we're a good match - we both feel we've done the prep and are now getting ready to match our ambitions.

Thats quite a small time mentality though, don’t you think? When the Brighton chairman appointment Hughton they were just above the championship relegation zone..

Cook could be the man to take us to the Premier league and i hope he is if he gets appointed but surely as a football club we have come further is mine and many other's feelings. It just feels like yet another lower league manager with no pedigree coming to manage our football club - certainly doesn’t get me excited in the slightest to be honest.

2 minutes ago, steviestevieneville said:

With half the wage bill we had ?

Yea people saying he had money because he spent 8m. We spent that on Kalas and his wages probably equal to 2-3 of those signings. 

Think Cook would be a sensible choice if not getting a big name like Hughton, Gerrard or Jokanovic(just throwing names out). 

3 hours ago, Rossi the Robin said:

Wigan didn’t win away for months and were pretty dire - basically he’s had a good half season in the Championship and without the 12 points deducted finish below us in 13th 

Performance level was better than results though, I'd suggest.

They had 2 away wins in a season and a half...then suddenly, won 6! Performances and results starting to correlate, albeit a bit on an overcorrection?

6 hours ago, Rocky said:

Not that anyone knows for sure but interesting that he wanted to move back up north after leaving Pompey. Now he fancies coming back down south? 

We are north of Pompey. ?

People leaving jobs often do publicly for the most diplomatic and least contraversial reasons.  Also factors change.  Maybe he wanted to be close to family when his kids were younger?  Who knows?

Personally, I like the little I've seen if him.  

1 hour ago, robin_unreliant said:

Just kidding. You seem quite passionate about Cook. Find it quite hard to see why without a vested interest myself. I'm no expert but his track record doesn't shout promotion to me. Hughton on the other hand... 

despite winning two promotions his track record doesn’t shout promotion! Oooookaaayyyy

Archived